Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

1 hour ago, 0iron said:

Thanks for the reply. Also wondering, do you have any insight on how Garmin does with delicate pitch shots with a lofted/lob wedge, you know like 20-50 yard shots?

My experience is again very positive.  I don't do the 20 yard stuff much since I use it as range more than simulator, but any chip I have done is read.  I can say that 60-70 yard shots are incredibly accurate, and it reads all the way down to my 6 year old's shanks and tops 😆

• Haha 2

Used it in a big session yesterday testing out a bunch of six iron shafts / weights etc. with metal dots into a net at 15 foot.

Excellent spin readings throughout, almost no missed shots, Elevating the device slightly above the mat works well.

Software isn't quite what I need unfortunately, preferred the old one click menus. Main issue is that I was testing six different 6 irons, but if you edit your bag by adding 6 irons with labels then on the range map results all clubs just show as yellow dots. I was hoping to draw circles around groupings.

The work around was to label a driver (purple dot) as one of the six irons, a wood (red dot) as another, wedge (purple dot) as another, but you only get 6 colours maximum doing that. 

And the software doesn't draw any groupings or give you any overall club averages apart from from distance. I'm going to try the data export thing again and see what that comes out with.

I dunno, Garmin software development, like other LM and fitness tracker companies, seems to go down odd routes with features nobody has asked for while ignoring what their own forums are requesting.

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

Used it in a big session yesterday testing out a bunch of six iron shafts / weights etc. with metal dots into a net at 15 foot.

Excellent spin readings throughout, almost no missed shots, Elevating the device slightly above the mat works well.

Software isn't quite what I need unfortunately, preferred the old one click menus. Main issue is that I was testing six different 6 irons, but if you edit your bag by adding 6 irons with labels then on the range map results all clubs just show as yellow dots. I was hoping to draw circles around groupings.

The work around was to label a driver (purple dot) as one of the six irons, a wood (red dot) as another, wedge (purple dot) as another, but you only get 6 colours maximum doing that. 

And the software doesn't draw any groupings or give you any overall club averages apart from from distance. I'm going to try the data export thing again and see what that comes out with.

I dunno, Garmin software development, like other LM and fitness tracker companies, seems to go down odd routes with features nobody has asked for while ignoring what their own forums are requesting.

I HIGHLY recommend R10 Analytics (r10analytics.com) to look at your data.  It sucks that it isn't real time, but will give you everything you need after the fact.  (Also it appears the website is down right now for some reason.  I can get you the install file if you need it, just message me)

26 minutes ago, jjschafe said:

I HIGHLY recommend R10 Analytics (r10analytics.com) to look at your data.  It sucks that it isn't real time, but will give you everything you need after the fact.  (Also it appears the website is down right now for some reason.  I can get you the install file if you need it, just message me)

Yep cheers I've used it before and have requested the Garmin data download so hopefully get closer to the analysis I'm looking for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammersia said:

A bit like Awesome Golf not recording session data.

I get that it was primarily intended for driving ranges but it seems like a feature that should be toggleable for single users.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Clifford said:

hey guys, is there any problem buying a used r10 and installing software without knowing who had it before and if the license was used etc... ? Local pawn shop has one.

Should be fine. I bought mine 2nd hand and I did not need any information from the prior owner to get it setup. 

20 hours ago, Clifford said:

hey guys, is there any problem buying a used r10 and installing software without knowing who had it before and if the license was used etc... ? Local pawn shop has one.

believe that if they linked it to their e6 account, you may not be able to play the 5 free courses.  Plus the free trial of Awesome Golf may have been used up.  Otherwise I think it should be fine.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:46 PM, hammersia said:

Yep cheers I've used it before and have requested the Garmin data download so hopefully get closer to the analysis I'm looking for.

After some computer issues finally got the analytics working, pretty much got me the results I wanted, although would be nice to be able to delete clubs off the view. Even better would be being able to save different bags within the Garmin app but I think I'm resigned to random UI updates from Garmin that aren't being asked for. 

• Like 1

Pretty disappointed with Garmin's support on the R10. I have been having issues with the unit reading spin and distances since I got it - both indoor and out door. I finally called Garmin about a month ago, spent 45 minutes on the phone with them. They asked me to go out to the range and take get some data for them. Since then I have emailed each week asking for a status and their reply was that they were working on it. I honestly think I just got a bad unit that should be replaced. Here is one of the images I sent them using a 7i at an outdoor range - which they asked me to send and I also sent other shots (including Awesome Golf) which were all having the same issue.

image2.png.012629b608f4d8727496cc745a97ab70.png

Clearly my 7i should not be carrying 212 and rolling out 290 or carrying 230 and rolling out 291 - I hope deviation was very off as well but I honestly don't remember all the shots from a month ago. So after a month of asking for a status update they finally respond with this:

The Engineers are looking for picture of your setup.  A picture from behind, aim at your net or screen. A picture from the front and the back. Nobody needs to be in the picture.  

A video of someone swinging show the light sequence on the R10-if possible. - I already told them I used their suggested set up, and also tried a little longer and shorter, and that I used a stand with a laser to align.

LOOKING FOR DATA METRICS FROM DRIVER, 5 IRON, 7 IRON, AND A WEDGE. (SCREENCAPS ARE FINE OF EACH AND THE MORE THE BETTER) LOOKING FOR THE DATA SCREENS THAT SHOW LAUNCH ANGLE/BALL SPEED/CLUBHEAD SPEED/ETC. MINIMUM OF 3 SHOTS PER CLUB TO GET AN AVERAGE. - Already sent.

HOW FOR OFF ARE THE DISTANCES FOR EACH CLUB TRIED? PLEASE BE AS DETAILED AND SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE.  - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.

DOES THIS HAPPEN WITH ALL CLUBS AND SHOT TYPES?  - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THE DISTANCE IS INCORRECT? (I.E. WHAT IS THE COMPARISON METHOD?) - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.

IF INDOORS/INTO NET, PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR SURROUNDINGS INCLUDING THE DIMENSIONS OF THE SPACE (PHOTOS AND/OR VIDEO ARE PREFERRED) - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.  

IF IN AN OUTDOOR SITUATION, WHAT IS THE CLIMATE/ENVIRONMENT LIKE FOR YOUR LOCALE? (TEMPERATURE, ELEVATION ETC)- Discussed many times on the phone and via email. 

HAVE YOU TRIED ADJUSTING LOCATION/HEIGHT OF THE R10? (SEE SETUP TIPS FOR IDEAL SETUP DISTANCE) - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.  

HOW FAR IS THE BACK OF THE NET FROM THE BALL? (8\' OR MORE IS IDEAL)- Discussed many times on the phone and via email. 

IF INDOORS, HOW DO YOU HEAT THE ROOM. - the issue is both outdoors and indoors.

ARE YOU USING FLUORESCENT LIGHTING IN THE ROOM - the issue is both outdoors and indoors.

DO ANY OTHER METRICS SEEM OFF? E.G. LAUNCH ANGLE, BALL SPEED, CLUB SPEED, SPIN RATE ETC. (PLEASE ADD SCREENSHOTS OF A FEW SHOTS FROM VARIOUS CLUBS) 

DO YOU GET ACCURATE RESULTS ON A DRIVING RANGE? - No.

HAVE YOU CALIBRATED THE R10? IF SO, DID YOU SEE ANY IMPROVEMENT? - Yes and no.

At this point it is clear that they have not reviewed anything of what I have sent or any of the notes from my 45 min troubleshooting conversation. I really don't understand why they can't simply replace this unit. I'm not going to keep sending them info and having to follow up every week when they don't respond. Waste of time. 

End rant.

TLDR: Spent a lot of time on the phone, providing information, and following up with Garmin Support on my unit that is not making correct readings inside and outside. They have been unresponsive for about a month. Now they want additional information which is the same information that I have already discussed and provided to them.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, hammersia said:

After some computer issues finally got the analytics working, pretty much got me the results I wanted, although would be nice to be able to delete clubs off the view. Even better would be being able to save different bags within the Garmin app but I think I'm resigned to random UI updates from Garmin that aren't being asked for. 

What I'm not following is why there is such a delay on the export data. 

Where is the data held when I generate it from hitting balls, on my phone, on the R10, or in the cloud?

When I choose data export on my account, it doesn't seem to include the most recent sessions but only sessions from 3 or 4 days ago. I've tried plugging both my phone and the R10 into my computer with Garmin Express, R10 says up to date, Express doesn't seem to connect to my phone. Confused.

20 hours ago, FlashinLeather said:

Pretty disappointed with Garmin's support on the R10. I have been having issues with the unit reading spin and distances since I got it - both indoor and out door. I finally called Garmin about a month ago, spent 45 minutes on the phone with them. They asked me to go out to the range and take get some data for them. Since then I have emailed each week asking for a status and their reply was that they were working on it. I honestly think I just got a bad unit that should be replaced. Here is one of the images I sent them using a 7i at an outdoor range - which they asked me to send and I also sent other shots (including Awesome Golf) which were all having the same issue.

Clearly my 7i should not be carrying 212 and rolling out 290 or carrying 230 and rolling out 291 - I hope deviation was very off as well but I honestly don't remember all the shots from a month ago. So after a month of asking for a status update they finally respond with this:

The Engineers are looking for picture of your setup.  A picture from behind, aim at your net or screen. A picture from the front and the back. Nobody needs to be in the picture.  

A video of someone swinging show the light sequence on the R10-if possible. - I already told them I used their suggested set up, and also tried a little longer and shorter, and that I used a stand with a laser to align.

LOOKING FOR DATA METRICS FROM DRIVER, 5 IRON, 7 IRON, AND A WEDGE. (SCREENCAPS ARE FINE OF EACH AND THE MORE THE BETTER) LOOKING FOR THE DATA SCREENS THAT SHOW LAUNCH ANGLE/BALL SPEED/CLUBHEAD SPEED/ETC. MINIMUM OF 3 SHOTS PER CLUB TO GET AN AVERAGE. - Already sent.

HOW FOR OFF ARE THE DISTANCES FOR EACH CLUB TRIED? PLEASE BE AS DETAILED AND SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE.  - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.

DOES THIS HAPPEN WITH ALL CLUBS AND SHOT TYPES?  - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THE DISTANCE IS INCORRECT? (I.E. WHAT IS THE COMPARISON METHOD?) - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.

IF INDOORS/INTO NET, PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR SURROUNDINGS INCLUDING THE DIMENSIONS OF THE SPACE (PHOTOS AND/OR VIDEO ARE PREFERRED) - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.  

IF IN AN OUTDOOR SITUATION, WHAT IS THE CLIMATE/ENVIRONMENT LIKE FOR YOUR LOCALE? (TEMPERATURE, ELEVATION ETC)- Discussed many times on the phone and via email. 

HAVE YOU TRIED ADJUSTING LOCATION/HEIGHT OF THE R10? (SEE SETUP TIPS FOR IDEAL SETUP DISTANCE) - Discussed many times on the phone and via email.  

HOW FAR IS THE BACK OF THE NET FROM THE BALL? (8\' OR MORE IS IDEAL)- Discussed many times on the phone and via email. 

ARE YOU USING FLUORESCENT LIGHTING IN THE ROOM - the issue is both outdoors and indoors.

DO ANY OTHER METRICS SEEM OFF? E.G. LAUNCH ANGLE, BALL SPEED, CLUB SPEED, SPIN RATE ETC. (PLEASE ADD SCREENSHOTS OF A FEW SHOTS FROM VARIOUS CLUBS) 

At this point it is clear that they have not reviewed anything of what I have sent or any of the notes from my 45 min troubleshooting conversation. I really don't understand why they can't simply replace this unit. I'm not going to keep sending them info and having to follow up every week when they don't respond. Waste of time. 

End rant.

TLDR: Spent a lot of time on the phone, providing information, and following up with Garmin Support on my unit that is not making correct readings inside and outside. They have been unresponsive for about a month. Now they want additional information which is the same information that I have already discussed and provided to them.

Hopefully you're not going to rant at me, but in a previous post you said you hadn't tried the metal dots yet.

For the time you've spent with Garmin customer support you could have paid $6 for some dots and maybe sorted this, at least indoors. I have noticed a big and worthwhile improvement using the dots.

Otherwise don't know how your consumer protection laws work but in the UK you can demand a refund for sure.

Edited by hammersia
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hammersia said:

Hopefully you're not going to rant at me, but in a previous post you said you hadn't tried the metal dots yet.

For the time you've spent with Garmin customer support you could have paid $6 for some dots and maybe sorted this, at least indoors. I have noticed a big and worthwhile improvement using the dots.

Otherwise don't know how your consumer protection laws work but in the UK you can demand a refund for sure.

I'm using it mostly outside and the numbers I posted were outside shots. I don't think the metal dots really apply to the problems with my unit. 

Edit: I just want them to replace the unit - and not a refund. I think it is a great tool and that I just happened to get an unlucky bad one. I think Garmin could easily do this. 

Edited by FlashinLeather

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that I have to have internet connection when opening the E6 app, otherwise it won't work.  It looks like it is working and even says it has found the Garmin, but when I launch into a course or range, it says No Device Found.  As long as I open the App with an internet connection everything is fine, even if I don't have wifi when launching the course.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, FlashinLeather said:

End rant.

You need to find another unit and test it in the same environment (not side by side). 

My guess would be it's not your unit and instead is a combination of environment interference and setup error but the only way to know is to try another unit that you KNOW works correctly. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that the unit is extremely limited with "reading" spin. Most of the metrics are calculated from just a couple of data points that are actually measured and if there is even a little interference with what's measured then none of the calculations will make sense. 

43 minutes ago, Jimmy001 said:

Im reading a lot of mixed reviews, I’m trying to decide on a simulator to practice in the off-season. Figured the Garmin would be a good choice just looking at the price but is it worth it to spend a little more for the Mevo+? Thanks

Unless you plan to get Pro package, don't care about a slightly more finicky setup or want to putt, not really.

The Mevo+ is better but not $1200 better than R10 for just keeping the rust off over winter. If you're planning to use it with teaching all year, it gets more difficult.

Used Mevo+ are around 1300-1500 so you can save a few hundred more if you end up going that route.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

Unless you plan to get Pro package, don't care about a slightly more finicky setup or want to putt, not really.

The Mevo+ is better but not $1200 better than R10 for just keeping the rust off over winter. If you're planning to use it with teaching all year, it gets more difficult.

Used Mevo+ are around 1300-1500 so you can save a few hundred more if you end up going that route.

Yeah not trying to get crazy but help with keeping consistent.

Finally an end to my saga. Went to the range today, numbers were better but spin was still the main factor that was off. My PW, 8i, 6i, 4i, were all spinning in the mid to low 3000s. I took some photos of my setup and screen shots of my numbers, submitted everything to garmin, and they agreed to replace the unit. 

Looking forward to getting the new one. 

• Like 2

Just saw a R10 Open box Mint on 2nd Swing and used a $20 off coupon and got it for 449. For that price I had to pull trigger and Buy one!! I hope I'm not disappointed but it was just hard to pass that price up. I will mainly use it in backyard hitting into my net. Will I need to use the Dots on the balls?

Edited by Longdriver295

12 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

Just saw a R10 Open box Mint on 2nd Swing and used a $20 off coupon and got it for 449. For that price I had to pull trigger and Buy one!! I hope I'm not disappointed but it was just hard to pass that price up. I will mainly use it in backyard hitting into my net. Will I need to use the Dots on the balls?

I use mine into a net in my backyard. I would say it’s absolutely worth it. There are shots every now and then that I don’t agree with, but it generally does what I think it should.

I’ve had better luck since using a cheap stand I found on Etsy with a bubble level that helps me get the unit completely level.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JackGatling said:

I use mine into a net in my backyard. I would say it’s absolutely worth it. There are shots every now and then that I don’t agree with, but it generally does what I think it should.

I’ve had better luck since using a cheap stand I found on Etsy with a bubble level that helps me get the unit completely level.

Yeah I ordered a stand for it as well. I have a garage that is open (No garage doors) but the floor is not poured, so i need the stand to level it up. I'm just gonna set my net up in there so I can hit if it's raining. 

• 3 weeks later...

$499 Black Friday deal at indoorgolf.com.

So I guess I'm a proud owner of an R10 now lol.

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

• 2 weeks later...

i just bought one yesterday and spent hours trying to set it up and finally realized the app i was using was the culprit.I got the app from garmin and registered went to apple and down loaded e6 and it seems to be okay.

I bought it at golf galaxy and asked to hold me one as i will be there in a hour,i’m glad I did as they sold three before I got there and I got the last one.

Anyone have experience with foam or Almost golf balls with the R10? I’ve seen some mixed reviews online. I’d like to be able to get some swings in over the winter to keep my swing path in check. Anyone know how accurate the club path and face to path angles are when using alternative golf balls? I’d like to avoid hitting real balls in this particular garage….

Driver: Titleist TSR3, 9* @8.25*

3-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash, 15*

5-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash, 18*

Irons: Taylormade P790s, 4-AW

Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54*, 58*

Putter: Ping PLD DS72