Pigskin Pick 'em Party

greenemachine

11 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

Instead of the round recap, it'll be that plus more.  My rocky ride of 2021 is in the books.  Scores can no longer be posted, and a shambolic round ended what was otherwise a shambolic season of poor play and chasing the memories of better golf.  5 over on the front which included me hitting a tree branch about 30' in front of me, having it come back to me, and me thinking it wasn't going to hit me... I was wrong.  Double.  Seriously, and it was all precipitated by not playing smart from a downhill like in the fairway when I should have just bunted a hybrid to 100 yards rather than trying to hit the fairway wood to 60.  3 over on the back with a birdie.  We were put off by a frost delay and P3P started in on the swing oil a little early, and while it was a benefit to my back which is still not good, it wasn't the magic elixir I needed.  I fired an 8 over with a couple 3 putts, a penalty stroke on the aforementioned ball hitting player, and general all round poor ball striking.

For all of you warm weather guys, the cold sucks it out of the golf game.  The ground is wet so there is no roll.  Yesterday's high was 45'ish and sunny.  The ball doesn't really travel.  On the birdie I hit driver, fairway wood, putt.  It was a 200 yard approach.  To illustrate the effects of cold, in the summer this is usually a driver, 8i hole playing at 405 or so.  Also the greens aren't mowed so they can gain their strength for the cold months ahead, so that was my one putt.  I was either short, or if I did get it to the hole, I missed on the high side because of the speed.  There is a big difference between 10.5 and 8 on the stimp.

As noted, I started the year as a 1.5 index, due to the handicap restrictor plate, I rocketed to a 5 and then generally sat in the 3.5-5 range with the end of season having me sitting at 5.0 index.  I believe my high water mark for the season.  With the Rona we didn't get out too much.  I played 4 new courses in Ireland, 3 new courses in Sin City, and then made a sojourn over to Great Falls for a Sip n Dip stop and some golf, and then the home course and another local course.  First time in about 6 years I didn't break par once, and in fact, don't think I even shot par.  Purchased a new putter and put it in the bag and rolled the ball better than I have for years, so I know the problem isn't on the greens.  I have no plans for any warm weather winter golf in 2021, I have no plans for sim golf this winter.  I have no plans.  It is time to give my liver a rest, my back a rest, and just let the cold weather show the reason for being a little overweight.

I could take solace in my pick em results, but alas, those are even more desultory over the past two weeks, I am the Lions of the pick em pool.  Things have to improve, they just have to.

The problem has NEVER been on the greens is what the boys believe. We know P3P is a confident very good putter.

Glad to hear the new Scotty getting some praise. A Nice big balanced mallet works best I say. You and JT know what's up. Me too but mine is quite a bit more fang ie'. 

• Like 2

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

1 hour ago, NCLancer said:

ENJOY YOUR DAY LISA!

Happy Birthday Dog GIF

She's going to love it.  💥😀

• Thanks 1

Does one occasionally work on 100 yard bunted hybrids on the range? Where is the ball placed in your stance? How much if any forward hand press is involved? Which loft are you using? I want to experiment.        lol  

• Like 1

Talked with G1 yesterday in person. He is fine but besides the new job's strict demands now has an immediate family member with a health concern. He says hello to all and when he can find some time will come back around. I told him from all of us that he was missed and his Blackhawks suck bad.  

😄 

• Like 2

A very emotional start it was for me this morning on the first day of November. I find military funerals far more moving. Tim Duncan served 20 years in the US Army in the tank division. He was then a deputy sheriff down in L Land for 15 years. Mall cop then in the AVL. I became friends with Tim a year and half ago when we became coworkers.

Thank you sir for all of your service. 

I was very glad I got to attend today and I was filled with joy seeing that he finally got his well earned special service.

You are missed buddy. 

LP 

Edited by touch
  • Like 3

More tomorrow.    

• Thanks 1

Very nice work Q.    Thank you. 

WEEK   8    STANDINGS                       WK  8 RESULTS

NCL                  20-9                                                           0-3        68.97%

P48                   19-11                                                          2-1         63.33%       

P3P                   17-12                                                          1-3         58.62%

Q                        18-15                                                           1-2        54.55%

G1                      13-12-1                                                       MIA       52%

DOC                  14-13                                                           1-2         51.85%

CH                     17-18-1                                                       0-4        48.57% 

LP                      9-17-1                                                          1-2         34.625%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm only 11 wins out of first, says basement guy. I get about 2 wins every two weeks. It's looking bleak. 

Got some chicks and bro's over tonight to watch the game. 

Basement Party | robcrash28 | Flickr

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, touch said:

Does one occasionally work on 100 yard bunted hybrids on the range? Where is the ball placed in your stance? How much if any forward hand press is involved? Which loft are you using? I want to experiment.        lol  

From 100 out I can hit iron. I was 270 out on a par 5, slight downhill lie. I could hit a hybrid 170, or I could hit the fairway wood 210 and have 60 home.

So I hit a sweet fairway wood which I slapped into the tree in the right. Not so smooth.  And it was there when I hit myself. So stupid and bad. But all in all, pretty funny at the same time.

• Like 3

Tim's sister Teresa was the only remaining living relative he had, and she was presented with two different items at the service. One was the properly folded Old Glory that had draped the casket, and also she was given the discharged shell casings from the rifle shots' salute. When each soldier knelt down in front of Teresa and spoke aloud of their gratitude for her brother's service in the Army and presented her with these items tears really poured from my eyes. It was a beautiful morning in North Carolina for the burial service of my friend. I also spent some time a my father's grave site in a different part of the same cemetery.  It was kind of tough to get my mind clear for playing golf only 45 minutes after the service concluded. Thank you to all the veterans like my father and good friend Tim who were laid to rest in this beautiful Veterans cemetery in Black Mountain, North Carolina. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

I certainly enjoyed that natures' magnificent colors were on display all over the place for me yesterday. I did play some golf with the young bucks from work following the service.

I will provide a recap on golf in Black Mountain and one from today's round later tonight. I'm leaving in a bit to head down to play with Mike and the fellas in Tryon. Just enough leaves remained on this beauty enabling it to be named the recipient of LP's "best in show" prize. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

Week 9 Lines for Picks

Thursday Night

NY Jets                       at                 Indy -10 1/2                                    46 1/2

Sunday

Houston                      at                Miami -7                                           46 1/2

Denver                        at                 Dallas -9 1/2                                    49 1/2

Minnesota                   at                Baltimore -5 1/2                               49 1/2

New England - 3 1/2  at                Carolina                                             41 1/2

Buffalo -14                 at                Jacksonville                                      48 1/2

Cleveland                   at                Cincy -3                                            46 1/2

Las Vegas -3             at                 NY Giants                                          47

Atlanta                       at                 New Orleans -6                                 43

LA Chargers -3         at                 Philly                                                   50 1/2

Green Bay                  at                Kansas City -2 1/2                              55

Arizona -2 1/2            at               San Fran                                             46 1/2

Sunday Night 

Tenn                          at               LA Rams -7 1/2                                  54

Monday Night 

Chicago                    at                Pittsburgh -6 1/2                               40 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

STANDINGS  

NCL                  20-9                                                         

P48                   19-11                                      

P3P                   17-12                                               

Q                        18-15                                              

G1                      13-12-1 *missed week 8                                                 

DOC                  14-13                                                      

CH                     17-18-1                                                     

LP                      9-17-1                                                    

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, touch said:

I'm only 11 wins out of first, says basement guy. I get about 2 wins every two weeks. It's looking bleak. 

Got some chicks and bro's over tonight to watch the game. 

Basement Party | robcrash28 | Flickr

Were you their chaperone? 

Hey I'm in the same boat. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Just like the unchanged diaper, I reek.  The desperation is showing, I need this.  I need a good showing.  I need a clean diaper, I need a little talc, and then I am ready to rock.  This past couple of weeks have been nothing less than the up the back blowout, hand over the wipes, and we are off.

Let's get out of the gate quickly on Thursday night.  Its going to magical in the Oil Can this week.  Carson Wentz is over the Steve Sax syndrome and he has begun to improve.  They appear to be better than I would have expected when they picked him up.  Without Fireman Ed, who won't make the trip due to a NYC walkout, the Jets look to continue to be the Jets in primetime.  In a, who gives a rip but P3P, I see the Colts covering.  Johnny U and Lydell are giddy with the squad Thursday night.

Let's skip the entrees on Sunday and dip right into Carrie Underwood and the Sunday Night game.  I actually saw her in concert and was pleasantly surprised.  She was very good, but I didn't get to meet Mike who I would assume is a down to earth hockey player.  But I digress.  This is her hometown team taking on the slinging Matt Stafford.  Has any organization consistently made worse personnel decisions than the Lions, good grief what a disaster.  But Detroit isn't playing, nor is Derrick Henry.  Mike Vrabel didn't become a star until he left the Steelers, but the Steeler blood runs thick.  I don't think the Titans win, but I do think they cover, this is a pretty big spread, and may even get bigger as the news of Derrick ripples out.  Titans cover.

MNF, if only Jon were still in the booth, but alas he isn't.  Few teams are worse than the Bears, and fortunately the Steelers aren't one of them.  BB comes to play, and even has time to throw a ball more than 2 yards past the line of scrimmage.  I see Steeler D holding up against a rookie, I see the Steelers exploiting a bad team in their house.  I am picking the Steelers to cover Monday.  I am so confident I am not even going to mention this is exactly the type of game the Steelers lose since they play like garbage when they play teams they should beat handily.

And here we go, the halfway mark of the season.  Pass me the puree'd peas and put down the plastic because this could be an epic blowout... either way.

Edited by Petethreeput
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

Just like the unchanged diaper, I reek.  The desperation is showing, I need this.  I need a good showing.  I need a clean diaper, I need a little talc, and then I am ready to rock.  This past couple of weeks have been nothing less than the up the back blowout, hand over the wipes, and we are off.

Let's get out of the gate quickly on Thursday night.  Its going to magical in the Oil Can this week.  Carson Wentz is over the Steve Sax syndrome and he has begun to improve.  They appear to be better than I would have expected when they picked him up.  Without Fireman Ed, who won't make the trip due to a NYC walkout, the Jets look to continue to be the Jets in primetime.  In a, who gives a rip but P3P, I see the Colts covering.  Johnny U and Lydell are giddy with the squad Thursday night.

Let's skip the entrees on Sunday and dip right into Carrie Underwood and the Sunday Night game.  I actually saw her in concert and was pleasantly surprised.  She was very good, but I didn't get to meet Mike who I would assume is a down to earth hockey player.  But I digress.  This is her hometown team taking on the slinging Matt Stafford.  Has any organization consistently made worse personnel decisions than the Lions, good grief what a disaster.  But Detroit isn't playing, nor is Derrick Henry.  Mike Vrabel didn't become a star until he left the Steelers, but the Steeler blood runs thick.  I don't think the Titans win, but I do think they cover, this is a pretty big spread, and may even get bigger as the news of Derrick ripples out.  Titans cover.

MNF, if only Jon were still in the booth, but alas he isn't.  Few teams are worse than the Bears, and fortunately the Steelers aren't one of them.  BB comes to play, and even has time to throw a ball more than 2 yards past the line of scrimmage.  I see Steeler D holding up against a rookie, I see the Steelers exploiting a bad team in their house.  I am picking the Steelers to cover Monday.  I am so confident I am not even going to mention this is exactly the type of game the Steelers lose since they play like garbage when they play games they should beat handily.

And here we go, the halfway mark of the season.  Pass me the puree'd peas and put down the plastic because this could be an epic blowout... either way.

An epic post!  I could not decide between sad, funny, or confused as I feeling all three after reading this.  Nicely done P3P. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NCLancer said:

An epic post!  I could not decide between sad, funny, or confused as I feeling all three after reading this.  Nicely done P3P. 

I just returned home from my round in the upstate of South Carolina. I grab a cup of soup and check on our great thread. I read Pete's weekly contribution that I look forward to on Tuesdays as it's always interesting and unique. P3P's Tuesday take's contain his patented way of giving us some  well written thoughts that also weave in his picks. He's a cagey one that PGH guy. I finish Pete's post from earlier today and think to myself that this week's effort  was extra special and that I will have to post how much I enjoyed it. Then I read the next post and see that NCL nailed it. I couldn't have said it better myself NCL.

Thanks P3P for one of your best, and thanks my NC brother for the fine compliment you sent Montana Man's way.

I will have a double recap for you boys tonight after some dinner and a few glasses of wine. 

As the weather has begun to drastically change here in the mountains I feel fortunate that I got in two solid rounds of golf this week. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Qqq123xx said:

Were you their chaperone? 

Hey I'm in the same boat. 😉

Chaperone?  Naw I am the make out coach for the young men. See it's best to hone in some skills with the ladies before one's 25th birthday.  This weeks lesson was " Let's go beyond petting shall we ? "   😅 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NCLancer said:

P3P shares the warning of a possible uncontrollable forceful feces blast happening around these part later this week. Ok, yes let's get started laying down plenty of plastic just in case.

• Like 1

I would like to recap my Sunday round at Caswell Pines in Yanceyville, NC just south of Danville,VA.  Myself and Mrs. NCLancer teed off about 2:15 on a 65 degrees day with a constant 10-20 mph wind.  I chose a mix of tees that equaled approx. 5850 yards.  Shot a 47-49 for a solid 96.  Had 35 putts and hit 7-14 fwys.  Played all 18 with the same ball thanks to Mrs. Lancer who bounded down a brick wall, over some boulders and into a creek to retrieve my errant Titleist on an approach shot that looked good in the air but came down just short of the green...She's a keeper fellas!! 

Late(ish) start and followed 2 foursomes who were playing 2-man scrambles but we didn't get let through so at 6:30 we were putting out in the dusk.  We had a great time but had we knew we were in for a day where patience was needed and slowing down our pace was necessary.      

I have include pics that I posted on another thread as I entered a contest a few weeks ago and was fortunate enough to be chosen by the GolfWRX Mods as a tester for the new Cleveland Launcher XL Lite driver and this was my first day out with the new club.  My current driver is the Cleveland Altitude which is also a non-adjustable lightweight stick so the clubs are quite similar.  The new club is about 1/2 inch longer and I'd like to change the grip from a GP Tour Velvet to a GP Tour Wrap 2G but I did like the results once I slowed down my swing and channeled my inner InBee Park.   

I have so much clubhead speed that the club is almost invisible in the last pic!

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

MNF, if only Jon were still in the booth, but alas he isn't.  Few teams are worse than the Bears, and fortunately the Steelers aren't one of them.  BB comes to play, and even has time to throw a ball more than 2 yards past the line of scrimmage.  I see Steeler D holding up against a rookie, I see the Steelers exploiting a bad team in their house.  I am picking the Steelers to cover Monday.  I am so confident I am not even going to mention this is exactly the type of game the Steelers lose since they play like garbage when they play teams they should beat handily.

Enjoyed your words today very much my man. I grinned big a lot.

Mr. Musician we are calling today's piece by you a "choice cut."

We all add our unique something to the mix on this thread, and that is what makes our group unique and enjoyable. Heck it's been a proven success now going on 5 years. 

grateful for all the witty one's here,

commish 

Edited by touch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NCLancer said:

I would like to recap my Sunday round at Caswell Pines in Yanceyville, NC just south of Danville,VA.  Myself and Mrs. NCLancer teed off about 2:15 on a 65 degrees day with a constant 10-20 mph wind.  I chose a mix of tees that equaled approx. 5850 yards.  Shot a 47-49 for a solid 96.  Had 35 putts and hit 7-14 fwys.  Played all 18 with the same ball thanks to Mrs. Lancer who bounded down a brick wall, over some boulders and into a creek to retrieve my errant Titleist on an approach shot that looked good in the air but came down just short of the green...She's a keeper fellas!! 

Late(ish) start and followed 2 foursomes who were playing 2-man scrambles but we didn't get let through so at 6:30 we were putting out in the dusk.  We had a great time but had we knew we were in for a day where patience was needed and slowing down our pace was necessary.      

I have include pics that I posted on another thread as I entered a contest a few weeks ago and was fortunate enough to be chosen by the GolfWRX Mods as a tester for the new Cleveland Launcher XL Lite driver and this was my first day out with the new club.  My current driver is the Cleveland Altitude which is also a non-adjustable lightweight stick so the clubs are quite similar.  The new club is about 1/2 inch longer and I'd like to change the grip from a GP Tour Velvet to a GP Tour Wrap 2G but I did like the results once I slowed down my swing and channeled my inner InBee Park.   

I have so much clubhead speed that the club is almost invisible in the last pic!

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

First.  congrats on getting selected to review a new piece of equipment for the WRX audience.

First 2.0.    Yes Mrs. NCL is indeed a keeper if she scales walls and lowers herself down into deep ravines to find the Titleist's  you airmailed into the next county because your swing speed is so blinding fast. 

Second.  thanks for sharing the photo's with us. I wish more would do it. 

Third. Had to be a DUKE shirt didn't it?  lol

Fourth. Inbee is one of my favorite swings to watch on the LPGA Tour and I try to model my tempo after hers. 

Fifth.    Enjoyed the post Mr. SUNY Plattsburgh Cardinal. 

If you would please post a link here on our thread so we will know where your written words on the newest Cleveland big stick can be found.

Thanks NCL 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My  s H ^ t better be good because P3P and NCL added gems already today.   

63* and sunny   10 mph wind max 

Black Mountain G.C. is another heavily played public track in the greater Asheville area. It is a historic course as the front 9 was designed by Donald Ross back when he was around doing CCA, BFCC, and the downtown AVL Muni. They added the back 9 decades later.  They don't spend a ton on course upkeep and too often is shaggy. BLK Mt. is also located on the side of Asheville that gets the most rain. BLK Mt. is a damp golf course most days. I try to play it twice a year. I always make one of those rounds in the fall when the changing tree colors make it quite a beautiful spot to be. There is no range and the only practice area offered is a slanted as hell small putting green. I went there for 3 minutes and experienced that they were grainy as heck and quite slow. I hit the orange whip for 10 minutes and stretched. I was still pretty emotionally spent from having to say goodbye to Tim at the cemetery less than 45 minutes before. I will remember that service as one of the most special moments of my life.

I knew the course played pretty tough as many holes call for you to shape your shots. No range No bueno. I hit my first drive so low on the face it went no higher than 20 feet and stopped in the thick junk 160 yards ahead. Well now. Flushed a hybrid from there and almost got it up and down from 20 yards. Bogey start. Remember I invited 2 coworkers that have my back at all times at work to play after they gave me grief for not including them in some golf. So in some ways I felt I was kind of an on course host to the two 20 somethings. I had to make 3 golf etiquette marshal calls for big rule breaks during the round. Both J man and A man have been in the game only 2 years. You know how often golf works that when a player gets in a group with more advanced players they magically elevate their games for an afternoon? Yeah, well that took place for both Aaron and Jace and it was a joy to see the elation on their faces. Both of them broke 90 for the first time this season. Me? well I probably never had a chance to get in a grove and shoot a normal number on account of starting my day with 2 hours at a cemetery. I did have a top 5 shot of the year though. It came way late in the round. On the downhill par 6 747 yard 17th the following took place. I hit a 3 wood to lay up just before the skinnying down part of of the hole. Big hitters can carry this narrow stretch. Shot one executed. I over the top cooked my next 3 wood into a tree line and it was dead. Dropped. My fourth shot was again a 3 wood down the fairway 220 yards. I had a good lie and had 210 in to a table top green. For the 4th time I pulled the 3 wood. I smoked it flush on it's intended line. With the soft slow greens it stuck and settled 3 feet from the pin. I rolled it in for a par 6 with a penalty stroke involved. For the day I shot a 9 over 81. I was out enjoying the sun yesterday in Black Mountain for a full 7 hours. Our foursome had a wonderful time playing golf in one of the most scenic spots in the Mid Atlantic. 

Fall is beautiful. 

My recap of Tryon will be tomorrow evening. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, NCLancer said:

Thank you. Your first post was very in depth and informative.    Nice. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, touch said:

My  s H ^ t better be good because P3P and NCL added gems already today.   

63* and sunny   10 mph wind max 

Black Mountain G.C. is another heavily played public track in the greater Asheville area. It is a historic course as the front 9 was designed by Donald Ross back when he was around doing CCA, BFCC, and the downtown AVL Muni. They added the back 9 decades later.  They don't spend a ton on course upkeep and too often is shaggy. BLK Mt. is also located on the side of Asheville that gets the most rain. BLK Mt. is a damp golf course most days. I try to play it twice a year. I always make one of those rounds in the fall when the changing tree colors make it quite a beautiful spot to be. There is no range and the only practice area offered is a slanted as hell small putting green. I went there for 3 minutes and experienced that they were grainy as heck and quite slow. I hit the orange whip for 10 minutes and stretched. I was still pretty emotionally spent from having to say goodbye to Tim at the cemetery less than 45 minutes before. I will remember that service as one of the most special moments of my life.

I knew the course played pretty tough as many holes call for you to shape your shots. No range No bueno. I hit my first drive so low on the face it went no higher than 20 feet and stopped in the thick junk 160 yards ahead. Well now. Flushed a hybrid from there and almost got it up and down from 20 yards. Bogey start. Remember I invited 2 coworkers that have my back at all times at work to play after they gave me grief for not including them in some golf. So in some ways I felt I was kind of an on course host to the two 20 somethings. I had to make 3 golf etiquette marshal calls for big rule breaks during the round. Both J man and A man have been in the game only 2 years. You know how often golf works that when a player gets in a group with more advanced players they magically elevate their games for an afternoon? Yeah, well that took place for both Aaron and Jace and it was a joy to see the elation on their faces. Both of them broke 90 for the first time this season. Me? well I probably never had a chance to get in a grove and shoot a normal number on account of starting my day with 2 hours at a cemetery. I did have a top 5 shot of the year though. It came way late in the round. On the downhill par 6 747 yard 17th the following took place. I hit a 3 wood to lay up just before the skinnying down part of of the hole. Big hitters can carry this narrow stretch. Shot one executed. I over the top cooked my next 3 wood into a tree line and it was dead. Dropped. My fourth shot was again a 3 wood down the fairway 220 yards. I had a good lie and had 210 in to a table top green. For the 4th time I pulled the 3 wood. I smoked it flush on it's intended line. With the soft slow greens it stuck and settled 3 feet from the pin. I rolled it in for a par 6 with a penalty stroke involved. For the day I shot a 9 over 81. I was out enjoying the sun yesterday in Black Mountain for a full 7 hours. Our foursome had a wonderful time playing golf in one of the most scenic spots in the Mid Atlantic. 

Fall is beautiful. 

My recap of Tryon will be tomorrow evening. 

1101211551.jpg

1101211557.jpg

1101211619a_HDR.jpg

While you say the course may not be in great condition the views certainly are top-notch!  Stunning pics and thanks for the recap!

Now get back in that basement, run some diagnostics, put pencil to paper, get out your Ouija board, or do whatever you need to do and make 3 solid winning NFL picks!!!!😉

Image result for ouija board

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:14 PM, Petethreeput said:

Are we  Prime Timing  all three games P3P?