2021 Solheim Cup

KBong

2 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Nothing against Mina or Patty, but I think Stacy should have been the pick. It's a close and tough call. I wonder if Stacy's matches would have the largest galleries and rattle some inexperienced Euros. Maybe someone will come down with an undisclosed injury on Monday and they'll let Stacy play in an individual match.

Stacy's Solheim record is rather pedestrian. In four appearances ('11, '13, '15, '17) she has a record of 5-10-1. She has three losses and one tie in singles matches. 

Heck, you're better off with Morgan (11-8-3) or Paula (17-9-5).

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

14 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

I think Kupcho will have to take the Stacey Lewis mantle and intimidate those Euro rookies.

Let's not forget Kupcho is a rookie herself to the Solheim. Not to mention a player who gets easily frustrated on the course, some of those Euro rookies might just rattle her cage.

Or a better idea would be to play Kupcho and Nanna in a singles match and place bets on who breaks a club first in frustration. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, KBong said:

I'm not surprised Noh was picked.

Remember the powerful quote from "The Last Don":

"What is past is past. never go back. Not for excuses. Not for justification, not for happiness. You are what you are, the world is what it is.”

You live a sorry life in that the only things you talked about are things in the past!  We'll have the Solheim Cup, the most watched event in women's golf, in less than two weeks.  Let's cherish that!

We know Olympics grew Nelly's account from 260,000 to 350,000 followers.  Let's see if the Solheim Cup can produce similar impacts.  For reference, Nelly is at 359,000 right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

1) Let's not forget Kupcho is a rookie herself to the Solheim. Not to mention a player who gets easily frustrated on the course, some of those Euro rookies might just rattle her cage.

2) Or a better idea would be to play Kupcho and Nanna in a singles match and place bets on who breaks a club first in frustration. 😁

1) Agree

2) I'm betting it would be Nanna to be the 1st to TOMAHAWK or HELICOPTER a club....I think Nanna can be really NASTY...which bodes well for the Euros.

Ok....I have two good TOMAHAWK club stories for you for a laugh.

a) So I'm back to Toronto for a meeting...we have a 'team building' golf event.

A really funny co-worker is in my 4 some....we are the last group of the outing...followed by the regular green fee public players.

After a chunked chip...this guy HELICOPTERS his wedge....it goes flying and gets stuck up in a tree.

He's pondering how to get it down...the tree is difficult to climb.

We all putt out.

As the 4some behind approaches the green...the co-worker walks over to the 4some and asks if anyone has a ladder...LMAO

b) I'm playing a team skins game with the boys.

After a lousy drive...he proceeds to TOMAHAWK his driver 30 yards into 3 foot high fescue.

As I'm walking down the fairway...the other 2 friends ask why I'm not helping my partner find his driver.

I say:

"If he wants to be a tool....he can find it himself...besides he's better off driving off the tee block with an iron"

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Stacy's Solheim record is rather pedestrian. In four appearances ('11, '13, '15, '17) she has a record of 5-10-1. She has three losses and one tie in singles matches. 

Do you recall if Stacy was pouty in those 10 losses?...just askin for a friend.🤣

If you recall in 2011...after Stanford & Lewis gagged it up in their 2 sessions...it was Ryann (a rookie) who was called upon to be paired with Stacy to get her out of her funk and they went onto to win.

Man I loved that 2011 Solheim.

Ole Ole!

BUT

The Euro slaughter of the Yanks was even better in 2013.

Ole Ole!

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, KBong said:

I want Ryann O'Toole and Angel Yin on the team to fire up the galleries.

I'm not surprised Noh was picked.

I agree with Angel, she has way more spirit than Altomare. Believe it or not Angel has more top 10's this year than everybody one the team besides Nelly and DK, I was surprised by this.

As for Yealimi, Pat Hurst would have been a fool to pass her up for any of the "old guard".

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 18majors said:

You live a sorry life in that the only things you talked about are things in the past!  We'll have the Solheim Cup, the most watched event in women's golf, in less than two weeks.  Let's cherish that!

We know Olympics grew Nelly's account from 260,000 to 350,000 followers.  Let's see if the Solheim Cup can produce similar impacts.  For reference, Nelly is at 359,000 right now.

And your life is so wonderful..... fawning over the very very young gals/players and actually monitoring and keeping track of stupid Instagram stats....LMAO.

I don't think anyone else in these threads cares about Instagram stats....no one replies to those posts, etc

Edited by KBong

1 minute ago, ChronicSlicer said:

I agree with Angel, she has way more spirit than Altomare. Believe it or not Angel has more top 10's this year than everybody one the team besides Nelly and DK, I was surprised by this.

As for Yealimi, Pat Hurst would have been a fool to pass her up for any of the "old guard".

I didn't know this...interesting.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Remember the powerful quote from "The Last Don":

"What is past is past. never go back. Not for excuses. Not for justification, not for happiness. You are what you are, the world is what it is.”

Your obsession with Nelly and her Instagram is very creepy

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KBong said:

I don't think anyone else in these threads cares about Instagram stats....not one replies to those posts, etc

That's to be expected.  Remember "Pioneers are Lonely".  But don't forget that I started "2021 US Women's Open" thread that attracted more than 1,500 posts and 49,000 views.

There aren't a better leading indicator on the trend of Women's Golf than Instagram followers; especially on their #1 player who happens to be young and attractive!

Edited by 18majors

59 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Heck, you're better off with Morgan (11-8-3) or Paula (17-9-5).

Okay, I'm one of the few that actually like Stacy. But that's not a rather pedestrian Solheim record. It's a flat-out terrible Solheim record 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, 18majors said:

1) But don't forget that I started "2021 US Women's Open" thread that attracted more than 1,500 posts and 49,000 views.

2) There aren't a better leading indicator on the trend of Women's Golf than Instagram followers; especially on their #1 player who happens to be young and attractive!

1) 

spacer.png

2) LMAO.

I'm guessing that many of Nelly's Instagram followers don't care much about golf or even play golf (including yourself)....and just follow her to fawn over her.

Yup...Spiranac with many IG followers really has an impact on golf...LOL...we all know why any fool wants to IG follow Spiranac.....and it has nothing to do with golf.

The largest and most significant influence on golf recently has had nothing to do with a golfer...it was unfortunately caused by Covid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Not sure what you're smoking, but I'll take 2.

There's Lexi and Nelly. But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that between whatever family she still has in Toledo, annual tournament sponsor Marathon employees and local rooting interest she could have a comparable gallery. 

4 hours ago, KBong said:

Yup...Spiranac with many IG followers really has an impact on golf...LOL...we all know why any fool wants to IG follow Spiranac.....and it has nothing to do with golf.

Paige Spiranac isn't a LPGA member; she doesn't represent professional women's golf.

There is a correlation between Instagram followers and events in and outside of the ropes for LPGA members.  Most needle movers like Michelle Wie, Lexi Thompson and Hinako Shibuno have more than 500,000 followers; a milestone hopefully Nelly Korda will reach soon.

OK...back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Ok...what are your Solheim predictions?

Although the Yanks are favored on paper....I'm predicting the Euros to win 14.5 vs. 13.5.

Ole Ole!

As I've said....this might be the most boring SC based on lack of personalities from the players.

I'm most interested in watching:

Charley, Castren, Madsen (but only if she loses her mind...clubs slams and swearing), Mel and Celine....Noh, Ewing and Khang.

I don't care for Popov, Anna N, Ciganda...though I want to see them win....and I don't care for Kang on the US team.

I do want to see who can take down Team Jelly.

The SC's of years past had more player personalities that made them more entertaining.

I most enjoyed in years past....watching Christina Kim, Stanford, SNaP, Wie and The Pink One getting beat.

Will there be limits on ticket sales?

Will there be opening & closing ceremonies?

Who gets paired with who I find interesting.

Also how each of the rookies goes.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

Who gets paired with who I find interesting.

Also how each of the rookies goes.

You aren't alone, I'm curious too.

I know nothing about Team Europe; but Pat Hurst mentioned they've 3 pods of four players each. 

I'm assuming Korda, Danielle and Lexi are the head of each pod.  Megan Khang and Lizette Salas teamed with Danielle while Brittany Altomare teamed with Lexi before at 2019 Cup.

So my wild guess and my hope are:

1.    Jessica, Nelly, Austin Ernst, Yealimi Noh
  2.    Danielle, Megan Khang, Lizette Salas, Ally Ewing
  3.    Lexi, Brittany Altomare, Jennifer Kupcho, Mina Harigae

3 minutes ago, 18majors said:

I know nothing about Team Europe; but Pat Hurst mentioned they've 3 pods of four players each. 

I'm assuming Korda, Danielle and Lexi are the head of each pod.  Megan Khang and Lizette Salas teamed with Danielle while Brittany Altomare teamed with Lexi before at 2019 Cup.

Interesting - I hope Lexi's putting under pressure doesn't rub off on her pod.

Of the US team, I am a fan of Ally, particularly admire her such straightforward, repeatable swing. She had a poor record in her previous and only appearance, though.

Also Yealimi, will be fascinating to see her in this format.

For the Euro's, can't see why Mel would get much course time, her form doesn't warrant it.

Really interested in what Matilda and Leona do, Leona has an excellent match play record (won all her matches in a junior Solheim) but this is the big time. As the first Irish player, hope she does her country proud, is very important to her so won't be from lack of effort.

The dynamic of the pairings is so interesting and often crucial.

Such a fun event and a great spectacle.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Really looking forward to Solheim Cup every two years. Too bad I won't be able to attend in person like the last few times due to the entry restrictions into the States.

Good to see Pat Hurst picking two rookies for the team with only 1 rookie automatically qualified.

But I'm not sold on Harigae or Altomare. We'll see.

Kupcho's negative on-course attitude cannot possibly be a good thing in this format, can it?

Interested to see how Lexi and Danielle will do after their disappointing performances in Gleneagles.

Catriona picked the right 6 players. Great to see many from the team playing so well recently.

Mel and Carlota haven't been playing well lately but when you put them together it's something different - see the Dow event a few weeks ago.

Form-wise I might give the slight edge to Europe, but the US of course has the home course advantage, which is massive (12 of 16 Solheims went to the home team).

Should be fun.

Ole, Ole!

Edited by MJ2712

16 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

There's Lexi and Nelly. But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that between whatever family she still has in Toledo, annual tournament sponsor Marathon employees and local rooting interest she could have a comparable gallery. 

I still say pros like Lexi and Nelly are more popular and would have larger galleries following them than SNaP.

I saw about 20 KPMG staff with special SNaP shirts in Portland in 2013....but don't recall seeing any in 2015 at the CWO.

I was too busy fanboying The Rocket and watching the DRAMA & TENSION in the Dumbo and Ha Na Jang pairing #LUGGAGEGATE to notice any Stacy KPMG shirts at the 2016 KPMG at Sahalee.

Obviously, there were a TON of KPMG staff and invited KPMG customers at the event....a BIG KPMG women's conference & clinic.

FYI......Sahalee is an AMAZING course....it's worth attending just to see the track.

I'd love to be a member there...27 holes.

I saw it in 2010 at my 1st USGA event...the USSO.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Not that I'm complaining, but Kay probably has been in more tournaments this year than any other NBC on air personnel:

I think the likes of Kay & Foltzy continue to be on course reporters vs moving into the booth because it's an easier job.

I don't think they need to do as much prep work and just ad lib.

In 2015 at the CWO....I was shocked that a security guard allowed me to enter the booth 30 minutes prior to TV coverage.

I'm a Judy fanboy and wanted to get her to autograph a great pic of she and I from 2013 in Portland.

I could not believe all the paperwork and stats on the desk in front of them....I imagine they must do a minimum of 2-3 hours of prep work a day.

BTW...Terry Gannon is a nice guy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KBong said:

I still say pros like Lexi and Nelly are more popular and would have larger galleries following them than SNaP.

I saw about 20 KPMG staff with special SNaP shirts in Portland in 2013....but don't recall seeing any in 2015 at the CWO.

I was too busy fanboying The Rocket and watching the DRAMA & TENSION in the Dumbo and Ha Na Jang pairing #LUGGAGEGATE to notice any Stacy KPMG shirts at the 2016 KPMG at Sahalee.

Obviously, there were a TON of KPMG staff and invited KPMG customers at the event....a BIG KPMG women's conference & clinic.

FYI......Sahalee is an AMAZING course....it's worth attending just to see the track.

I'd love to be a member there...27 holes.

I saw it in 2010 at my 1st USGA event...the USSO.

Leona is KPMG sponsored, so they can switch their support to her.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

These are pretty good predictions of what the pods might look like.

If I was Hurst...I'd have Ewing in the #1 pod and switch her for Austin....I think Ewing is more mature and feisty vs. Austin ....and I think Ally would be a better teammate to guide Noh.

Unless the CHOKE....I don't see Team Jelly broken up.

If anyone wants to take an afternoon nap....a Kupcho & Altomare team will put you to sleep.

I know I know...I've said it too many times.

There are so many boring personalities on both teams at this year's SC.

I like the Int'l Crown more....better and more diverse talent...especially now that the SC might be a snoozefest with poor casting directors.

Hello McFly...yes you Pat...you should have picked Alison GIMMEE Lee, Ryann & Angel.

Matthew should have selected Dame Laura and OF COURSE....Tutta.....

Aza (one of the 3 Killer B's), Sandra LEGS Gal (get her out of her funk), Hedwall (I'm scared of her), and Jodi HYPHEN (no reason other than I like her).

OK...OK...can we have a 13 women Euro team and invite Belen SMOKESHOW.🤣

2 hours ago, MJ2712 said:

1) But I'm not sold on Harigae or Altomare. We'll see.

2) Kupcho's negative on-course attitude cannot possibly be a good thing in this format, can it?

3) Catriona picked the right 6 players.

Ole, Ole!

1) Boring

2) Considering SNaP didn't make the team....they need a Pouty Face replacement on Team USA...and Kupcho fits the bill PERFECTLY.🤣

3) WRONG...see my post above.🤣

Glad to have another Euro Tean fanboy or fangirl onboard....WELCOME!

OLE OLE!

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, KBong said:

Boring.

Nah, interesting. A determined game face doesn't reveal everything. Just my opinion of course🙂

Maybe you're not aware of some of her story, it's not pedestrian. Judging from your excellent contributions on here, I reckon you will find it interesting🙂