2021 Solheim Cup

KBong

I got to believe Matthew's 6 picks will be based purely on RR's

Therefore, as we speak on RR:

Reid, Castren, Maguire, Anna N, Madsen, Boutier should be selected.

Ole Ole!

It's a shame Aza likely won't be selected...she's now #96 in RR.

LUV Aza...she use to be one of my fav players when she came out on tour in 2010...saw her in Portland that year....and SMOKESHOW Belen was invited to play as an Am.....Jesus was on her bag.

I was watching the action on the back 9 on Sunday and all 3 showed up and stood beside me watching the action eating popcorn.

I spoke with an older couple and members at Eugene G&CC who housed Aza, Belen and Carlota for the 2008 USGA women's Am.

They said each night Aza & Carlota would head into Belen's room and SMOKESHOW would have them laughing.

I miss Belen.

Aza lost to Blumenherst....there were quite a few future LPGA pros who played that year.

Eugene G&CC is a great course...we saw in on TV for the NCAA's in 2016

Henseleit might be an interesting pick - in form, fights back from poor positions and on the improve. A good finish here and next week may bring her into consideration (if not already).

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

On 8/14/2021 at 2:18 PM, KBong said:

I got to believe Matthew's 6 picks will be based purely on RR's

Therefore, as we speak on RR:

Reid, Castren, Maguire, Anna N, Madsen, Boutier should be selected.

I would leave Anna off due to lack of performance this year, but I doubt that Beany will do that. I'd likely leave Celine off too, only because of Esther Henseleit's recent performances. 

I think it's a true shame that only two players get picked from the LET points system, considering they do play in Europe weekly. I get it, usually the top talent on the LET isn't on par with the LPGA, but those girls who play in Europe deserve a chance to play for Europe.

Good chance this will be Anna and Carlota's last run, maybe Mel's too.(assuming Anna and Mel are picked which is likely)

• Like 1

No way you can leave Celine off the team. She was their star performer last time.

Aza is a slowpoke, and should be picked as a secret weapon to be paired against Nelly. She'd slow roll her after getting them put on the clock. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Assuming there aren't any changes in the automatic qualifiers (Khang on Solheim points, Kupcho Rolex) I think Noh and Altomare should be automatic for captain's picks. 

The final pick based on ranking would be Amy Olson but she seems to be in a slump.  For the most part players don't find their game at Solheim (Paula in Iowa was an exception but Amy would be a rookie).  I think the choice should come down to Stacey (ties to the Toledo area, you'd have to think shes pretty familiar with Inverness) or Marina Alex, whose game is on the mend.  Stacey has never been particularly good in the format and Marina may still have scar tissue from the Peterson match.  I'm disappointed Angel Yin hasn't been more consistent since she has more upside.

• Like 1

Team Europe is announced:

https://www.lpga.com/news/2021/three-rookies-picked-by-catriona-matthew-for-team-europe-at-2021-solheim-cup

Leona Maguire, Matilda Castren and Nanna Koerstz Madsen will make their Solheim Cup debuts
Madelene Sagstrom, Celine Boutier, and Mel Reid also selected by Catriona Matthew

These six picks will be joined by Denmark’s Emily Kristine Pedersen and England’s Georgia Hall, who qualified on Solheim Cup points.

Plus, Sweden’s Anna Nordqvist, Germanys Sophia Popov, England’s Charley Hull and Spain’s Carlota Ciganda – who secured their spots through the Rolex Women’s World Golf Rankings.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

That looked like the obvious team after the Open changed a few names. Good to see Leona Maguire in there. Matthew picked the in form team, which is a bit of a no brainer if you seriously want to win. Looks a pretty strong team on recent form. Ciganda can be flakey, though, and the Rolex rankings are always some way behind the CME rankings in terms of current form. 

• Like 2

I would have taken Nuutinen over Mel Reid.

A little surprised to see both Noh and Harigae picked, probably more surprised by Mina.  Happy for her though.  And great for the team to have Stacy Lewis as an assistant captain, she'll get a ton of media attention (and won't have to deal with that on top of the pressure of playing).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pmcuk said:

That looked like the obvious team after the Open changed a few names. Good to see Leona Maguire in there. Matthew picked the in form team, which is a bit of a no brainer if you seriously want to win. Looks a pretty strong team on recent form. Ciganda can be flakey, though, and the Rolex rankings are always some way behind the CME rankings in terms of current form. 

Sorry, but Mel Reid is not really "in form" at all. Here's how Mel played the Majors and Olympics this year. I used these event because they are obviously the most pressure packed and important, similar to the Solheim.

T14 -ANA

T46-US Open

MC-KPMG

MC- AIG

Tokyo Olympics  55th out of 60

Skipped the Amundi Evian for travel reasons involving the Olympics.

• Like 1

I liked Hurst's comments about selecting the hotter players and not being as concerned about experience with so many veterans in the automatic qualifiers.  I felt like it was a close call between Harigae and Marina Alex but have no problem with the choice.  I wonder if the whole pod structure played a part in the decision.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bunker18 said:

I liked Hurst's comments about selecting the hotter players and not being as concerned about experience with so many veterans in the automatic qualifiers.  

In my usually terrible opinion, this is how it should be done. She who has been playing the best gets a spot. None of that sentimental garbage...you earn the right to play or you deserve the view from the couch.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, postfold said:

I would have taken Nuutinen over Mel Reid.

A little surprised to see both Noh and Harigae picked, probably more surprised by Mina.  Happy for her though.  And great for the team to have Stacy Lewis as an assistant captain, she'll get a ton of media attention (and won't have to deal with that on top of the pressure of playing).

Nothing against Mina or Patty, but I think Stacy should have been the pick. It's a close and tough call. I wonder if Stacy's matches would have the largest galleries and rattle some inexperienced Euros. Maybe someone will come down with an undisclosed injury on Monday and they'll let Stacy play in an individual match.

3 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Sorry, but Mel Reid is not really "in form" at all. Here's how Mel played the Majors and Olympics this year. I used these event because they are obviously the most pressure packed and important, similar to the Solheim.

T14 -ANA

T46-US Open

MC-KPMG

MC- AIG

Tokyo Olympics  55th out of 60

Skipped the Amundi Evian for travel reasons involving the Olympics.

I think Reid was picked because of an intangible.

Mel is a "jock" and I assume a player that could spark up the gang in the war room if anyone is in a slump.

I think Mel might not play too much.

The Solheim is one week every 2 years to get together as a TEAM.

Team dynamics matter....a reason why I think the Euros have been successful in recent Ryder Cups cause the Euro boys get together to have some FUN, DRINK and to WIN as a TEAM.....I think there has always been to many prima donna's on the men's US team.

Stricker has his hands full this year with some Merican Pansy's🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Nothing against Mina or Patty, but I think Stacy should have been the pick. It's a close and tough call. I wonder if Stacy's matches would have the largest galleries and rattle some inexperienced Euros. Maybe someone will come down with an undisclosed injury on Monday and they'll let Stacy play in an individual match.

I think Kupcho will have to take the Stacey Lewis mantle and intimidate those Euro rookies.

The Solheim Cup is just an EXHIBITION...so I watch for entertainment and hopefully some DRAMA....yes we need Alison GIMMEE Lee on the team.

Therefore, I'm not keen on Hurst's picks.

Brittany CASPER Altomare is BORING

Harigae is kinda VANILLA....but seems like a good putter.

I want Ryann O'Toole and Angel Yin on the team to fire up the galleries.

I also believe both Ryann and Angel would be great leaders in the war room to stir the pot and get the US team riled up and instill a "I'll step on your throat to crush you" attitude, now that Cristie CRUSTY Kerr is no longer on the team.

I'm not surprised Noh was picked.

I'm pretty confident @18majors BOMBARDED Pat Hurst's social media accounts for the last 3 months accounts begging Pat to pick Yealimi and giving Pat a weekly update on how many new Instagram followers Yealimi picked up and it would be a mistake to overlook a POPULAR pro like Noh.🤣

If Hurst wants a NO SMILES pairing...she'll team up Kupcho & Noh....just sayin.🤣

The only pairing that's an obvious is TEAM JELLY.

• Haha 1