Anyone with have 9 year olds playing from 5400 yards?

MRx747

11 hours ago, golfer929 said:

Maybe I misread the point of your post, but I don't feel like I did. I read your post. I typed out and quoted exactly what you said about "Mental scorekeeping purposes".  What are mental scorekeeping purposes? Because in my mind, it seems like you are just making it a par 7 and when a kid makes an 8 on that hole, they say they got a bogey. Instead of a Quad if it was a par 4. Again, I have to go back to it just being ironic that you are upset about people "Nerfing" junior golf when you are doing the exact same thing in that instance. I also have a tough time believing that there are a ton of 8 year olds shooting 65, never mind a consistent basis, but even more than once or at all. No reply back on my comparison to kids playing on MLB fields, and shooting NBA distance 3's as well. If they are playing the forward tee maybe its more like a 300 foot fence and a college 3-point line. But still, why do we have kids move up and play from there, but we can't apply the same rule in golf?

On your comment about me ranting about "Everyone is a winner", you initially brought it up. Maybe didn't outright say it, but it is strongly inferred. "Love the improvements in equipment - hate the direction they’re trying to take the game. It’s almost as bad as half-ice 4-on-4 hockey for 9 year olds with no rules and “no scores”" (ha! Every kid knows)…

Yes, you are correct, you never said the back tees. I should have clarified better. When I said back tees, in my mind I was thinking: back tees of the fairway, which would be the forward/ladies like you said. Apologies. 

The number of junior golfers has also remained at the same level today as it was in 1995 (3 million). In the early 2000's, Junior golfers rose to a peak of 4 million due to the Tiger Boom. So I would argue that junior golf is in a better place now than it was back then because there is no ultra dominant face of golf anymore like Tiger at the forefront, and there still is the same number of kids playing. Another positive of that is over 1/3rd of them now are girls who play golf. All according to National Golf Foundation.

It goes without saying that any parent needs to do what they believe is best for their child, but all I'm saying is that there are multiple successful golf companies that teach junior golf starting as close to the green as possible (U.S. Kids/Operation 36), and back 20-30 years ago, we thought at the time that having kids play the forward tee was the best way to teach them. We obtain new information over time and things change. If nobody ever made a change, we would all live in caves.

https://www.ngf.org/news/2016/05/the-changing-face-of-junior-golf/

You get an A+.  Appropriate distance for a 9-10 year old is 4600-5000.  No reason for a 9 year old to play 5400.  It doesn't teach them anything.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

20 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

You get an A+.  Appropriate distance for a 9-10 year old is 4600-5000.  No reason for a 9 year old to play 5400.  It doesn't teach them anything.

5 iron carry x 36 for 18 holes.  Divide by 2 for nine.

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

8 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

5 iron carry x 36 for 18 holes.  Divide by 2 for nine.

Agreed.  No reason for a 9 year old to play from 5400 yards when their 5i carries 105.  Talk about the definition of "Not having Fun".   Playing 1500 yards longer than you should be playing does not teach a kid how to score.  In fact, I would argue it does the exact opposite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

Agreed.  No reason for a 9 year old to play from 5400 yards when their 5i carries 105.  Talk about the definition of "Not having Fun".   Playing 1500 yards longer than you should be playing does not teach a kid how to score.  In fact, I would argue it does the exact opposite.

At 5400 yards, if not long enough you have to be perfect every shot. If you are out of position on any hole it is no fun.  Experience watching 12 year old girls playing that yardage.  Very few break 80, but some do so everyone thinks it's normal.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

Just now, Medson said:

Where is this formula coming from? I found it surprisingly accurate. 

Never thought distance this way before. 

I heard it on PGA Network Sirius/XM years ago.  It is pretty spot on for my kid through the years.  He has no problem playing a 7200 yd course.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, killer21 said:

At 5400 yards, if not long enough you have to be perfect every shot. If you are out of position on any hole it is no fun.  Experience watching 12 year old girls playing that yardage.  Very few break 80, but some do so everyone thinks it's normal.

Girl's is an entirely different ball of wax.  I am paying attention to a girl's HS regional tournament today from 5500 yds.  Out of the 70 player field, 10 might break 80 and none in red numbers.  Girl's golf is a completely different game than guys and at times can be incredibly painful to watch.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, killer21 said:

No one's convincing me that this:

"Both Collins and Hughes won their respective divisions at the 2020 U.S. Kids Golf World Championship in Pinehurst, N.C. Collins posted a 206 (-10) to win the Girls 10 age division, while Hughes shot a final round 63 (-9) at Legacy Golf Links to secure the victory in the Boys 10 division with a 204 (-12)."

is the way to learn the game.

Why would a 12 year old girl who isn't truly exceptional be expected to break 80? The course is too easy if anyone but the very very best is doing that.

Arguing that you should shoot essentially the same numeric score for almost all of your golfing life - I can't see how that helps or motivates at all. In addition to not learning as many types of golf shot. Including learning how to play from out of position. That's an important part of the game.

Imagine talking to this kid when they're 70 years old and their "best score" is a 63...that they shot when they were 10 years old on half a golf course.

Are people going to relate to "I dropped my handicap from 20 to 14" the same as "I finally broke 70 when I was 13 years old"? I'm highly suspicious of that.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SlickT73 said:

"Both Collins and Hughes won their respective divisions at the 2020 U.S. Kids Golf World Championship in Pinehurst, N.C. Collins posted a 206 (-10) to win the Girls 10 age division, while Hughes shot a final round 63 (-9) at Legacy Golf Links to secure the victory in the Boys 10 division with a 204 (-12)."

Why would a 12 year old girl who isn't truly exceptional be expected to break 80? The course is too easy if anyone but the very very best is doing that.

Arguing that you should shoot essentially the same numeric score for almost all of your golfing life - I can't see how that helps or motivates at all. In addition to not learning as many types of golf shot. Including learning how to play from out of position. That's an important part of the game.

Imagine talking to this kid when they're 70 years old and their "best score" is a 63...that they shot when they were 10 years old on half a golf course.

Are people going to relate to "I dropped my handicap from 20 to 14" the same as "I finally broke 70 when I was 13 years old"? I'm highly suspicious of that.

US Kids golf is a different animal. You either accept what it is or just focus on long term development.  I have found the ones who  focus on winning US Kid golf tournaments tend to not be the kids you see winning a few years.  A lot the scores you see are  because of the Dad and how they play together and not a good indicator of future success. A lot reasons for this too. 

Unless we talking about a tournament where you had to qualify. It's hard to imagine a decent tournament where they take random kids off the street and they're all breaking 80. I almost never see that and if I do see a random field with low scores I know something is doesn't  usually add up.  Usually you see kids in all ranges from below par to well above 90. This especially true for girls.

Edited by tiger1873

On 11/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, SlickT73 said:

Sometimes when 12 year old girls are out of position on a long hole, they don't have to physical strength to hit greens from the rough.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

17 minutes ago, killer21 said:

Sometimes when 12 year old girls are out of position on a long hole, they don't have to physical strength to hit greens from the rough.

People do not understand that basic physics do matter. When it comes to girls especially younger ones it's bad enough you have to lay up on some holes because of forced carry distances.

I have more issues with tournaments and courses that force yardage and not how the course was designed to be played.  When they stretch par 5's to the back tips and move up par 3' and long par 4's it hurts the girls who can hit it longer.

6 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

People do not understand that basic physics do matter. When it comes to girls especially younger ones it's bad enough you have to lay up on some holes because of forced carry distances.

I have more issues with tournaments and courses that force yardage and not how the course was designed to be played.  When they stretch par 5's to the back tips and move up par 3' and long par 4's it hurts the girls who can hit it longer.

OMFG!  Just get the ball in the hole faster than the other girls Tiger!!  This is not difficult to comprehend.  Nobody cares about age, how far you hit it or any other BS.  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

OMFG!  Just get the ball in the hole faster than the other girls Tiger!!  This is not difficult to comprehend.  Nobody cares about age, how far you hit it or any other BS.  

Leezer You have no clue what you are talking about. This about course setup and nothing else and stop trolling. So let me explain it a little better

When they setup a par 5 for girls at 490 yards it hurts the longer hitters.

Girl A hits it 250 yards ( longer then average)

Girl B hits is 210 yards 

Par 5 is 490 yards 

Girl A   

1st shot is she is 240 yards from the green.   The chances of hitting that green are slim to none.   It sounds great because maybe she 20-30 yards from the green.   The issue is there usually is trouble there say a sand trap or water so.  So she takes a hybrid and is somewhere between 50-80 yards from green.    

Girl B

1st shot is 280 from the green  she hits her 3 wood 190 yards.  So now she is  about 100 yards from the green.

At the end of the day there is not a huge difference in how far they are from the green and there both coming in on 3. Sure the other girl maybe is using a wedge instead of a 9 iron. But instead of girl A going for eagle she is going for birdie just like the other girl.

The yardage for a hole like this from the white tee's was probably 450 instead of 490. If they played from the original tee's the longer  Girl would have no problem getting on 2. The shorter girl would never get on 2.

Thats why it hurts the longer girl.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Leezer You have no clue what you are talking about. This about course setup and nothing else and stop trolling. So let me explain it a little better

Girl B hits is 210 yards 

Par 5 is 490 yards 

Girl A   

1st shot is she is 240 yards from the green.   The chances of hitting that green are slim to none.   It sounds great because maybe she 20-30 yards from the green.   The issue is there usually is trouble there say a sand trap or water so.  So she takes a hybrid and is somewhere between 50-80 yards from green.    

Girl B

1st shot is 280 from the green  she hits her 3 wood 190 yards.  So now she is  about 100 yards from the green.

At the end of the day there is not a huge difference in how far they are from the green and there both coming in on 3. Sure the other girl maybe is using a wedge instead of a 9 iron. But instead of girl A going for eagle she is going for birdie just like the other girl.

The yardage for a hole like this from the white tee's was probably 450 instead of 490. If they played from the original tee's the longer  Girl would have no problem getting on 2. The shorter girl would never get on 2.

While shorter distance neutralize some of distance advantages, girls who hit long still have the upper hand in this case. 

The longer girl has a shorter (and probably more accurate) 2nd shot and possibly a shorter 3rd shot. 

The only thing hurts the longer girl is if she fails to practice her short game. Rory and DJ always had their distance, but they didn’t start winning consistently until they improved their short games. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Medson said:

While shorter distance neutralize some of distance advantages, girls who hit long still have the upper hand in this case. 

The longer girl has a shorter (and probably more accurate) 2nd shot and possibly a shorter 3rd shot. 

The only thing hurts the longer girl is if she fails to practice her short game. Rory and DJ always had their distance, but they didn’t start winning consistently until they improved their short games. 

Yes in theory the longer girl has an advantage still because they will be probably using a wedge.  But even the best short game players will still 2 putt a given percentage of chips.  If they reached it on 2 they would birdie a much higher percentage of par 5's for sure. It also takes a lot discipline to play a par 5 this way.

Here is what generally happens to those long hitters.  They can't help themselves and take out a 3 wood.  When it works out they look like pro's but it usually doesn't. Instead what happens is it hits a sand trap, water or ends up in a bad lie and ends badly. Meanwhile the short hitter generally par's the hole and even gets a birdie once in a while because they almost always have a nice flat lie in a fairway when they come in.

It's not a huge deal but I've learned that some tours try and help shorter hitters because they add yardages to certain holes and take it away on others.

Edited by tiger1873

It's just a number.... just let him go at it, establish 'a number' that he could eventually improve upon.  Just put that seed in his head (that whatever you shoot, you will do better as you get older, get bigger/stronger, and more experienced with your shot making).

Also, if that's the ladies' tees, where else could he play from?  

OK, I went back and looked at other posts and see there's many regarding young ladies playing and frustration from 5400 yrds and perhaps playing shorter courses to 'make it fun and enjoyable'.  Looking back at my son (he was given a set of 'cut down mens' clubs with iron shafts at age 4-5 (which I would not recommend; too heavy and overly stiff flex)...so he's was at it early by the time he was 6-7.  Thinking of how often he played (we were across the street from our country club, so he played daily with his friends.  I would think for boys, there's perhaps more 'peer pressure' to play from established tees. There will always be the 1 kid in a group of 6-8 kids at that age who will be superior to the others (maybe big for their age, etc), so don't let it bother them, just accept it and use that as a target for improvement. i remember when my son was ~12  and he was beating me playing from the white tees while I played from the longer blue tees.... after so many losses, I had him join me at the blue tees...that was fun (until he started beating me regularly from those).

I just wanted to add this funny kid story in.  So I'm on our club's driving range and there's a couple of young boys, high schoolers, next to me and they are admiring one kids new TM P-790's.  So I stepped over and said, oh, very nice clubs.  While standing at his bag with the 3 boys, I hear this 'swoosh' and look up and about 15 feet away there's a young lady striking the ball with an aggressive swing and killing it time after time. I asked if she was one of the female college golfers and they said no, she's a high schooler like us (she was a little taller than them though; hard to tell anymore).  I guess my mouth dropped and the boys noticed as I watched 2-3 more shots and looked at them with wide eyes and my eye/eyebrow expression must have said "Holy Cow, WOW".   One of the boys looked at me and said, "yea, that's Lacey....she is really good, but I don't like when she plays with us because I don't mind getting beat by my guy friends, but last time she beat me badly." I smiled and had to walk away because I started to laugh and chuckle over his sincere comment of embarrassment; evidently, his ego hasn't recovered yet.

Edited by bulls9999

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

2 hours ago, killer21 said:

So they don't hit the green...what's the issue with that? You play back into position, then hit the green if you can get there. A rather essential golf skill...

I really do think this comes down to a certain school of thought that holds handicap progression and setting up courses based on that as superior for some reason to score progression in terms of learning the game for kids. I don't agree with that personally and have seen neither anecdotal nor statistical data to suggest it is the case.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SlickT73 said:

So they don't hit the green...what's the issue with that? You play back into position, then hit the green if you can get there. A rather essential golf skill...

I really do think this comes down to a certain school of thought that holds handicap progression and setting up courses based on that as superior for some reason to score progression in terms of learning the game for kids. I don't agree with that personally and have seen neither anecdotal nor statistical data to suggest it is the case.

You can age a kid up in most Junior Tournaments anytime you want to.  No one forces you play 1500 yards in a tournament.  

At the same time no one wants to playing tournaments where kids score 150 either.   8 hour rounds are no fun and no course wants to host those type of rounds. So if you play from yardage too far the tour director is going to step in and do something about it if he wants to keep getting kids to sign up.

So their is economics involved here as well.

If your kid is driving greens on par 4 they're playing too short and if you kid is not able to hit anywhere near the greens on 2 you playing too long.  It's pretty simple and not that hard to figure out.

It's not just kids but adults too. Ever see a 90 year old play from the tips. It's not fun to behind that guy either.  People of all ages need to play from the correct tee's

Edited by tiger1873
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

You can age a kid up in most Junior Tournaments anytime you want to.  No one forces you play 1500 yards in a tournament.  

At the same time no one wants to playing tournaments where kids score 150 either.   8 hour rounds are no fund and no course wants to host those type of rounds. So if you play from yardage too far the tour director is going to step in and do something about it if he wants to keep getting kids to sign up.

So their is economics involved here as well.

If you kid is driving greens on par 4 they're playing too short and if you kid is not able to hit anywhere near the greens on 2 you playing too long. 

It's not just kids but adults too. Ever see a 90 year old play from the tips. It's not fun to behind that guy either.

I fundamentally disagree that average 8 year olds hitting most greens in 2 is the way to learn the game. As noted in the post. I'm not telling anyone else what to do - but can't see why this change has been made other than someone having a theory they haven't bothered to test or prove. Where's the result? Why is handicap progression objectively better than score progression? Can't see how it is.

The premise that these rounds would be neverending doesn't make any sense either. We've all seen people of every age shoot 100+ and play in four hours or less. Kids used to be one of the fastest groups on any course...my read on the situation now is you've got so many adults out there trying to tell them what to do rather than letting them play the game and hit the damn ball that it is taking longer.

Seniors play from the whites in less than 4 hours all the time...often while walking.

Is there a giant pace of play crisis in a lot of places that's driving substantive changes to the game? I consciously avoid public courses because of this, but it is 20-40 year old adults that are the problem for the most part when it comes to pace. Teaching kids how to play faster even when hitting more shots (something all are perfectly capable of) would be a great help if this is the real issue.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SlickT73 said:

I fundamentally disagree that average 8 year olds hitting most greens in 2 is the way to learn the game. As noted in the post. I'm not telling anyone else what to do - but can't see why this change has been made other than someone having a theory they haven't bothered to test or prove. Where's the result? Why is handicap progression objectively better than score progression? Can't see how it is.

Longleaf tee system (http://www.longleafteesystem.com/#our-purpose). 

From the website, "The Longleaf Tee System is a joint initiative of the American Society of Golf Course Architects Foundation and the U.S. Kids Golf Foundation. Our mission is to offer golf course owners and operators a practical, affordable way to scale their course in a manner that will enable more players to enjoy playing golf while keeping the design, integrity and challenge of the layout intact."

The problem Longleaf tee system tries to solve. "In its current form, golf is struggling to grow. Most courses are simply too hard and unwelcoming for those who aren’t the more highly skilled players. The holes are
too long, the pressure to play at a proper pace is too great, and the emphasis on scoring lower can be too formidable. Without creating multiple types of golf courses specifically designed for every kind of player, the game caters to a limited market.
"

Similarly, I'm also not here to tell anyone what to do. I'm presenting the information I know, and I agree with playing the right yardage. Furthermore, I know many parents who had their kids play way longer yardage, and the kids turned out to be elite players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SlickT73 said:

The premise that these rounds would be neverending doesn't make any sense either. We've all seen people of every age shoot 100+ and play in four hours or less. Kids used to be one of the fastest groups on any course...my read on the situation now is you've got so many adults out there trying to tell them what to do rather than letting them play the game and hit the damn ball that it is taking longer.

Seniors play from the whites in less than 4 hours all the time...often while walking.

Is there a giant pace of play crisis in a lot of places that's driving substantive changes to the game? I consciously avoid public courses because of this, but it is 20-40 year old adults that are the problem for the most part when it comes to pace. Teaching kids how to play faster even when hitting more shots (something all are perfectly capable of) would be a great help if this is the real issue.

You starting to sound like regular poster who uses multiple usernames I believe concerned and tigermom would say what your saying.

• Thanks 1

Sure put the 8 year old at 5400, while you are at it have him shoot basketball with a full size ball on a 10' goal. Who cares if he misses it every shot, it is the only way he will learn right? Have the 8 year old soccer goalies defend a full size goal because hey sure it is the only way they will appreciate "the grind". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Sure put the 8 year old at 5400, while you are at it have him shoot basketball with a full size ball on a 10' goal. Who cares if he misses it every shot, it is the only way he will learn right? Have the 8 year old soccer goalies defend a full size goal because hey sure it is the only way they will appreciate "the grind". 

While were at it:

Let's go full contact football (child abuse at eight) and player pitch baseball.  🙄  

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Girl B hits is 210 yards 

Par 5 is 490 yards 

Girl A   

Girl B

I’m not trolling you Tiger.  Quit whining about course setup, birth certificates or any other crap and just play what’s in front of you.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

You starting to sound like regular poster who uses multiple usernames I believe concerned and tigermom would say what your saying.

No idea what you’re talking about.

I also responded to what you’d said and was hoping you might elaborate on handicap progression vs score progression or pace of play. It’s fine if not but I’m trying to understand what sure sound like adult-created problems and “solutions” vs anything else.

Thanks to Medson for sharing some more info.

47 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

It’s much more like running track or the long jump than a team sport without a “finish” for each session if you’re looking for an analogy. Kids don’t run the 10M dash and no one complains when their performance numbers aren’t adult numbers.

This has also never been about “grind” or difficulty. People who want to trash the idea or answer a different question go there. The conversation is about skill acquisition and which method has been shown to be best.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

I’m not trolling you Tiger.  Quit whining about course setup, birth certificates or any other crap and just play what’s in front of you.

I wasn't whining about birth certificates.  I only said that age matters in younger ages.  As for course setups maybe it time you got out and travelled a bit and noticed that course setups are different around the country.

It's a Bigger problem for girls then boys.  

With girls I have seen the following

Tour 1

They play the white tee's and don't care if it makes sense or not for girls.

Tour 2

There is no rhyme or reason but you play either front tee all the way back to the tips.

Tour 3

They play generally 1 type of tee but will modify it when it makes sense eg.  long par 3's and tee shots with long carry, etc.

But I guess that doesn't matter because you live out west and think the world revolved around you.

44 minutes ago, SlickT73 said:

No idea what you’re talking about.

I also responded to what you’d said and was hoping you might elaborate on handicap progression vs score progression or pace of play. It’s fine if not but I’m trying to understand what sure sound like adult-created problems and “solutions” vs anything else.

Thanks to Medson for sharing some more info.

You simply have to play yardages that makes sense.  US Kids can be too short for some kids. I think a lot us will agree with that. 

US Kid yardages are for the average kid not ones who are stronger and bigger than normal.  Just like any sport if you have a kid who is just more mature you age them up on a case by case basis.

Here is the thing you can choose what tournaments you want to play.  There are lots of tournaments that accept kids with longer yardage then us kids. If you desire that just go out and play that.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1