2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

Just now, jvincent said:

Have you been through Oregon on past trips or is it on the "yet to be Argonned" list?

I've been to Bandon once, and Portland a few times. My visit to Oregon this fall will be my first extended stay.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Best Pizza and Brew in Oceanside. Not a particularly interesting selection of brews, but the pizza was decent. The goat cheese was a nice change of pace. 

spacer.png

I love that place, not the biggest selection of beers like you mentioned, but some of the coldest pours. I love their pizza, basic cheese is some of the best NY Pie you can get in the area. The music and vibe in there is always interesting, people are usually "high as a kite" in there, customers and employees. 

For some good "gringo" mexican hit up Sancho's Tacos. Also if you have a morning off from golf and hiking hit up Parlor Donuts for their Cro-Nut(croissant/donut) and some really good coffee. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Like 1

It's not looking good for a round at Torrey Pines on Thursday morning. The rain is going to be off an on all morning, and winds will be 20 to 30 mph. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

11 hours ago, Dancin said:

Lol. Torrey South in cold, rain and 20-30 mph winds. Probably have more fun hitting yourself in the head in the RV.

Also, the rough is going to be thick, as it's just 5 days after the Farmers.

Checked out the weather forecast last night, and now the winds are predicted to be near 40 mph.

Another fun morning. Could have used without the clouds, but at least the sun came out near the end of the round. Goat Hill Park today. Not quite what I was expecting. I was told that it's short, but didn't expect executive length playing 4467 yds (par 64). Still a challenging layout with plenty of nice elevation changes and some really tough lies. Fairway bunkering on the eight par 4s and par 5 was very light. Greenside was pretty decent. Two sweepers and a dogleg helped mix it up a bit. Don't recall seeing any water. I was told that Bill Murray is a part owner. 

With the par 4s playing no more than 349 yds, it was pretty easy off the tee. Hit a lot of tee shots with less than driver. Minor misses could be trouble as there wasn't a ton of room off the short grass. Big misses might find junk, or an adjacent fairway. Approaches were very tough. Greens were tiny, and many were elevated with steep dropoffs. Many were crowned, or had false fronts. Contouring was decent, and most had a lot of slope, so putting was fairly challenging. Up and downs were tricky from the iffy lies, with many having no view of the putting surface. 

The nine par 3s were very good. Only one or two could be considered easy. Nice mix of lengths from 135 to 179 yds. Could have used a long one, though. The single par 5 was meh. The par 4s were all basically short, and most had some type of challenge, either a severe uphill fairway, a low collection area, or a miniscule green. 

Conditions were scruffy, but playable. Fairways had a few iffy areas. Rough was a mix of 27 types of grasses. Bunkers were nice and sandy. Greens were very nice, and rolling close to 10. Throw in the slope and they got quick. 

Played the Black tees at 4467 yds on the par 64 layout (63.9/101). Pretty high rating IMHO. Course really required a solid short game, and mine thankfully showed up today. Couldn't snag a birdie on the tricky greens, but had a few nice par saves. Four bogies. 

Going with 4 cows here. Fun layout that's a good test of your short game. Would like to see more fairway bunkering. Rather shocked by the $28 walking rate. Could easily get $40 to $50. Can't say it's a must play, but it's still worth a visit if you have room in the schedule. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

My round this morning was finished before the brewpubs opened, so it was back to Bessie for a shower and a nap. Lol. 

Back out and about. Pure Project Carlsbad has 22 taps with a heavy dose of IPAs, but they have a pair of barrel aged imperial stouts that are excellent. Started with a short pour of the Obsidian Cliff w/ cacao, marshmallow, and graham cracker. This imperial pastry stout was very tasty, but a bit too sweet for my tastes. Followed that up with a home run, the Enchiridion, a blend of three imperials aged for one, two, and three years. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I wasn't planning to eat out today, but I didn't really feel like heading back to Bessie on a pleasant afternoon to have a sandwich when it'll be raining heavily for at least two days. Decided to take @AzSuperHack76's suggestion and headed over to Sanchez's Tacos for some "Gringo" Mexican. Excellent tacos. Ordered an O.G. (tri tip), Federale (slow roasted carnitas), and a Flounder Pounder (grilled marinated fish). Good stuff.

spacer.png

Glad you enjoyed it @Argonne69! Sancho's is one of our regular spots when we stay in Oceanside every summer. Knockout Pizza has a good thin NY slice as well, more of a take away place but they do have a few tables, just down the street from Sancho's. 

Safe travels my friend! 

• Like 1

Oh man please do post if you try Knockout Pizza... my nephew worked there for years!  It's revered with religious fervor in my family.

And thanks for the pics of Goat Hill.   That course is way way way overhyped by Matt Ginella and others... they'd give it 15 cows.  It's quirky and homey and has a very laid-back vibe... but as you saw it's pretty ratty, and in the end really no great shakes.  Good price for sure though!

• Like 3

Well, the forecast wasn't wrong this time. As expected, heavy rain started before dawn, and will likely continue throughout the day, and into tomorrow. 

There might be a few breaks in the rain tomorrow morning, so I have to decide if I want to take a chance walking on at Torrey Pines South. 

I was planning to play Marine Memorial on Saturday, but I just discovered that one has to apply for a base pass a week in advance. Might take a look at Oceanside Municipal. 

spacer.png

14 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Oh man please do post if you try Knockout Pizza... my nephew worked there for years!  It's revered with religious fervor in my family.

And thanks for the pics of Goat Hill.   That course is way way way overhyped by Matt Ginella and others... they'd give it 15 cows.  It's quirky and homey and has a very laid-back vibe... but as you saw it's pretty ratty, and in the end really no great shakes.  Good price for sure though!

I can taste it now.... It's the thin crust, sauce and the perfect amount of garlic they put on their pizzas, the Bronx and Knockout are my favorite, but you can never go wrong with the plain cheese either. 

@Argonne69 Forgot to mention as well, look up Surf's Up Salsa, seriously some of the best homemade salsa you'll ever have, no joke. She's local to the Carlsbad area and stocks her product at local market/deli's. I know Bubble's by the Beach Market and Liquor usually has it in stock in O-Side.

Surf’s Up Salsa 🌊Carlsbad, Ca (@surfsupsalsa) • Instagram photos and videos

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Yooz guys are going to get me fat. Lol. Rainy day, so I decided to run to the grocery store. Knockout Pizza was on the way back, so I stopped in after dodging the downpour. Had a slice of the Knockout with pepperoni, meatball, mushrooms, and garlic. Very good, especially the crust. New York style pizza tends to get soggy, but the crust was crisp after a couple of minutes back in the oven. With the additional garlic, it definitely had a nice garlic taste. Didn't want to spoil my appetite, so I behaved myself and had just the single slice. 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The area received over an inch of rain today. Oy. Looks like more rain (off and on) overnight and tomorrow. It doesn't look like it'll be steady, so I just might head south to Torrey Pines and hope that the course is playable. 

I was checking their tee sheets for a possible opening to avoid having to queue up pre-dawn, and the only spots available are 9 hole rates in the mid afternoon. $176 for 9 holes starting at 2:40 pm. Wow. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

The area received over an inch of rain today. Oy. Looks like more rain (off and on) overnight and tomorrow. It doesn't look like it'll be steady, so I just might head south to Torrey Pines and hope that the course is playable. 

I was checking their tee sheets for a possible opening to avoid having to queue up pre-dawn, and the only spots available are 9 hole rates in the mid afternoon. $176 for 9 holes starting at 2:40 pm. Wow. 

I live in the South Bay (Manhattan Beach) and it feels like we received way more than an inch of rain this morning - haven't seen it rain that hard in I don't know how long. 

Amazing that TP's South tee sheet is that full after rains (guess everyone wants to play it under tournament conditions - dont't know why - it's hard enough as is) and borderline ridiculous at $176 for 9 holes.  C'mon guys really?  I get supply and demand but that course is not hurting for money.  I guess that is SoCal for you in a nutshell, no tee times and egregiously expensive.  

Edited by tw422
  • Like 1

Enjoy.  Looking forward to pictures and the review.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

26 minutes ago, DE-ILLINI said:

Enjoy.  Looking forward to pictures and the review.

Me too.

I've been lucky to play both Torrey courses many times, over many years, at many different price points.  $295 to walk South today rather makes me ill.  But... for a one time visitor... what the hell.  It is fun to relive Rocco v. Tiger.  And there are a many great views, like the last picture.  For me the course is more painful than fun though - it's just so damn hard... but like I say, what the hell.  😉

• Like 2

With a name like The Confessional by The Lost Abbey, I was expecting a little more Belgian goodness. 24 taps, but few up my alley. Sampled their Lost and Found Dubbel, Judgement Day Quad, and Serpent's Stout. Very tasty, but not Earth shattering. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Mosey a few miles up the coast to Duck Foot Brewing in Encinitas. 30 taps with a nice selection. Enjoying a taster of the Sasquack Belgian Tripel (lol, nice name). Their barrel aged quad is on deck. 

spacer.png

Very glad you enjoyed Torrey South!  In the end it is a pretty damn good golf course.  I like your 7 cow rating.  It's very tough - as you saw - the rough is just plain brutal all the time, and it must have been especially so this week and with all the rain - but it is beautiful and there is a lot of fun to be had there.  Architecture geeks rip it, but they tend to rip everything.  

The price still kills me though.  🙂

• Like 1

Friday, so had to stop for a bite to eat. Felix's BBQ with Soul in Oceanside. Probably more of a soul food place than a BBQ joint. The St Louis ribs were too lean. The tri tip was tender, but not a whole lot of flavor. The andouille sausage was OK. Beans were bland, but the red beans and rice, and mac and cheese were decent. Overly pricey because they don't offer meats by weight, so I had to cobble together an order from the various partial combos. They do get a thumbs up for presentation. Overall it was decent, but certainly not a must visit. 

spacer.png