2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

Not much to do in the Buellton area, so a quick stop at Firestone Walker Brewing for a Firestone 26 Anniversary Strong Ale before grabbing an early dinner. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 minute ago, buckI said:

Going to hit up The Hitching Post and relive the Sidewsys movie? 😁

Lol. I was checking it out. Great movie. 'Probably going to give it a try on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Ugh. I was getting ready to book an RV park in San Martin, and I thought that it might be a good idea to call Cordevalle to see if the course will be open. Good thing because it's another resort course that requires a stay. The cheapest room would be over $1000 after taxes. No dice. Really bummed about that one. 

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Ugh. I was getting ready to book an RV park in San Martin, and I thought that it might be a good idea to call Cordevalle to see if the course will be open. Good thing because it's another resort course that requires a stay. The cheapest room would be over $1000 after taxes. No dice. Really bummed about that one. 

At that price you should get 3 free rounds of golf and all the Belgium ale you can drink!

• Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

When you mentioned playing Cordevalle I thought maybe you knew a member. I played it a couple times ( fundraisers) and through friends of friends. I could never afford the stay and play. 

When Cordevalle first opened, their head pro said it was better than Pebble Beach. It’s not😄.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, tad950 said:

When you mentioned playing Cordevalle I thought maybe you knew a member. I played it a couple times ( fundraisers) and through friends of friends. I could never afford the stay and play. 

When Cordevalle first opened, their head pro said it was better than Pebble Beach. It’s not😄.

I've played over 1200 courses now, but less than a dozen private courses. I simply don't "know anyone."

I primarily use Golf and Golf Digest magazines' Top 100 Public lists and GolfWeek's best you can play list to sketch out my schedule. If they say it's public, I take them at their word. Of course I've been burned more than a few times when I find out that playing a course entails a $500+ resort stay. I've done a couple of stay and plays on this trip, but I cap the hotel at $250 if I'm playing two courses (e.g. Sea Island, Red Sky). A single course I'm staying under $200. 

As I've said before, Pebble Beach, the #1 ranked public course in the country, doesn't require a night in the lodge. 

• Like 1

I think Pebble Beach now requires a stay overnight IIRC, but I could be wrong!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

On 3/9/2024 at 7:08 PM, Argonne69 said:

Lol. I was checking it out. Great movie. 'Probably going to give it a try on Wednesday. 

The movie goes to Hitching Post 2 which is in town.  If you have a free night go to the original Hitching Post in Casmalia.  It is probably the same food but really cool experience in the original.  The grill is right in the middle of the dining room and you can see everyones steak etc being cooked.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

I think Pebble Beach now requires a stay overnight IIRC, but I could be wrong!

I recall that you can call the day before, or day of, and might get on as a single.  Otherwise, and to book in advance, a stay in the lodge or the Inn at Spanish Bay is required.  $$$$$  

• Like 1

Just now, st1800e said:

I recall that you can call the day before, or day of, and might get on as a single.  Otherwise, and to book in advance, a stay in the lodge or the Inn at Spanish Bay is required.  $$$$$  

When I played PB in 2017 there was a 24 hour booking window for non-resort guests. I called the reservation line at 7 am on a Sunday when it opened, and got a 12:30 pm tee time on Monday.

Hopefully the 24 hour window is still available. I'll give them a call this week.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Shoot..I thought you knew the deal re Cordevalle... had something booked.  We discussed the course a long time ago.  Oh well.  Yeah it's a stay and play and is, as you saw, stupidly expensive.  The course isn't all that great either.. it's missable.

You will soon be scarily close to my home.  The offer I made long ago to host you at the course I play - Saratoga CC - remains open.  Just let me know.

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I've played over 1200 courses now, but less than a dozen private courses. I simply don't "know anyone."

I primarily use Golf and Golf Digest magazines' Top 100 Public lists and GolfWeek's best you can play list to sketch out my schedule. If they say it's public, I take them at their word. Of course I've been burned more than a few times when I find out that playing a course entails a $500+ resort stay. I've done a couple of stay and plays on this trip, but I cap the hotel at $250 if I'm playing two courses (e.g. Sea Island, Red Sky). A single course I'm staying under $200. 

As I've said before, Pebble Beach, the #1 ranked public course in the country, doesn't require a night in the lodge. 

I have had the good fortune to play many of the top 100 private clubs because of my job as well as I had a job that held meetings at a different private club every month for years.   Like you I have scoured the top 100 Public Lists and Hidden Gem lists over the years.  I am thinking of going back to the scouring lists next year.  Is your golf annual expense (not counting brews, mole and BBQ) in the $20K range?  Mine was probably close to $18K last year and that was playing the same course....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, stevopagolf said:

I have had the good fortune to play many of the top 100 private clubs because of my job as well as I had a job that held meetings at a different private club every month for years.   Like you I have scoured the top 100 Public Lists and Hidden Gem lists over the years.  I am thinking of going back to the scouring lists next year.  Is your golf annual expense (not counting brews, mole and BBQ) in the $20K range?  Mine was probably close to $18K last year and that was playing the same course....

I'm averaging $75 a round for 20 rounds a month, or roughly $18K.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

When I played PB in 2017 there was a 24 hour booking window for non-resort guests. I called the reservation line at 7 am on a Sunday when it opened, and got a 12:30 pm tee time on Monday.

Hopefully the 24 hour window is still available. I'll give them a call this week.

According to Pebble's website the 24 hour window is still available.

Non-guests can only reserve tee times 24 hours in advance.

For resort reservation information, call (800) 877‑0597.

• Thanks 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Beautiful morning. A few clouds crept in late in the round, but moved through quickly. Chilly start to the round, though. Temps in the low 40s. The right leg was tight, but no pain after a couple of days off. The Mission Club today. The parkland layout routes through a housing development, but for the most part the homes were tucked back behind the trees. The clubhouse sits on the high point, so a handful of holes play up and down, but most of the course is generally flat. Fairway bunkering was very light. Greenside was a tad better. Looks like all the bunkers have been recently renovated. Very good looking with steep faces. Water on four holes, but it's really only in play on a pair. Can't complain about the sweepers and doglegs here. 12 of 14 holes moved left or right, although it definitely favored a fader with 9 holes moving left to right. 

If you fade the ball, it's fairly easy off the tee. Play a draw and you're running through many fairways. Very generous rough, so minor misses were no problem other than having an occasional tree in the way. Lol. Big misses were a mixed bag. Several holes run parallel to each other, so you could get lucky and find the adjacent fairway. However, most holes would put you OB in a back yard. Approaches were straightforward. Moderately sized greens with room to run it up the throat. Greens had modest contouring, but a decent amount of slope. A few putts from pin high broke 3 feet. Up and downs were also mixed. Not a lot of slope near most of the greens, so chipping or pitching was fairly easy. A few elevated greens meant tricky lies. 

Par 3s were meh. Not much to look at other than the 17th with its elevated teebox. Three played roughly the same mid iron distance. The long 7th was a real snoozer. 5s were boring. The pair on the front could be reached with a long drive, but zero danger. Only one short 4, the 1st. Other than having an uphill approach it was benign. 

Conditions were decent. Fairways were soft with CPO on a few holes. Turf was a bit thin in spots. Rough was very nice. The new bunkers were excellent. Greens looked great, but the morning dew had putts throwing out drag chutes. 8 maybe? 

Played a Black/White combo at 6375 yds (71.3/128). Driver worked well enough today, but irons were spotty, and wedges didn't bail me out. One birdie and seven bogies. The tee shot on the par 3 17th to three feet to set up the birdie was nice, but the highlight of the morning was the drive back to Buellton on CA-246. Beautiful scenery with rolling hills, farm fields, and vineyards. Felt like I was in Sideways looking for a good Pinot Noir. 

4 cows here. Very nice looking course, but the layout doesn't get the blood flowing. Usual complaints about the design. The $72 weekday walking rate seemed high, but not over the top. Definitely not a destination course, but not much in the area besides La Purisima. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Two breweries in Lompoc, but one doesn't open until late this afternoon, and the other is closed on Mondays, so back to Firestone Walker Brewing. Plenty of things to try, so started with their Houses in Motion barleywine. Very tasty. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mci711 said:

You can still call Pebble 24 hours out. With the right booking agent you can book even further.. I booked two months out without a stay because I told the female agent I was getting engaged while there (which was true). 

True, I got shut down 2 weeks ahead of our trip last June. Called back 3 days before our trip and a different agent booked me, no questions asked.

• Like 1

Back to my temporary home away from home, Firestone Walker Brewing Company. Decided to mix it up today with a couple of tasters from their Barrelworks Wild Ales series. Better than sours, but a little too tart. Going to follow up with a strong ale and an imperial stout. 

spacer.png

Re La Purisima and best in state... I think it fails to make it for two reasons:

1.  It went through a long period of truly horrible conditions.  No matter how great a course is, it's worthless if it's unplayable.  And La Purisima was pretty much unplayable for a long time.

2.  Many people find it far more difficult than great, or fun.

I personally have always enjoyed it.  But I only saw pictures when it was at its worst.

Glad you liked it!  

Rancho Maria is unlikely to blow you away.  😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Wonderful morning. Another chilly start, and the pesky clouds showed up mid round to spoil a few pics, but otherwise it was a great day to walk on a very picturesque course. La Purisima today. The course has hosted men's and women's professional and amateur events. No idea why it doesn't show up on GolfWeek's best in state list. Certainly a better layout than Soule Park. More prairie style than parkland, it sits in a shallow valley, but unlike Alisal a handful of holes play up on the hills. The front is more open than the back where a number of the final holes are heavily treed. Water on six holes, but there was a dry, sandy creek that crosses a few others. Fairway bunkering was generally good. Light on a few holes, and excellent on many. Greenside was very good. Four holes with right to left movement, which suited this drawer just fine. Lol. 

Mixed bag off the tee. The front was fairly open, although a couple of holes had enough side slope to feed decent drives down into the rough. As noted, the back had a few holes that were quite tight, including the dogleg 14th that required a good poke to clear the corner. The rough was plentiful, so minor misses could be found, but it was thick enough to be penal. Big misses would generally find the native areas and be lost in the thick junk. A huge miss might find an adjacent fairway on a few holes. 

Approaches were tough with well guarded greens. Several were elevated, and a few were downhill, including all four of the par 3s. Greens had moderate contouring, and a decent amount of slope. Putting required due diligence. Up and downs were anything but easy coming out of the thick rough with plenty of opportunities to shortside yourself. 

Par 3s were excellent. Plenty of trouble, and a nice mix of lengths ranging from a gap wedge on the 3rd to a 3 wood on the long 9th. The 3rd was tough with a forced carry over a pond to a shallow green guarded by a deep front bunker. 5s were disappointing. Tough, but no risk/reward. The long 12th was a beast at 570 yds. Only one short par 4, the 4th. The dogleg had a large bunker on the corner, and risking it left a flip wedge to the elevated green. 

Conditions were decent. Fairways still had some soft areas from the recent rains, but were generally good. Rough was thick, but cut to a nice height. Fairway bunkers were in poor shape, but I don't mind a thin lie there anyway. Greenside bunkers were excellent with plenty of soft, groomed sand. Greens looked nice, but the morning dew had them rolling glacially. Probably 8, and might have reached 9 late in the round. 

Played the Blue/White combo at 6375 yds (72.1/133). Solid day ballstriking, but couldn't buy a putt for the most part. One birdie and eight bogies. Highlight of the round was a sweet 33' putt to save par on the long par 3 9th after pulling my teeshot, and hitting a mediocre flop over the left front bunker. The deer on the course were entertaining. 

I feel like I've been stingy lately, but I think this one merits 7 cows. Great looking course with some wonderful views of the course and surrounding area. Definitely needs a risk/reward par 5, and another short 4. The $72 weekday walking rate was fine. Definitely a must play. In fact, unless Rancho Maria blows me away tomorrow, I'll very likely be back on Thursday. 

Glad you enjoyed it.  They have gradually made LP easier over the years, which is a good thing.  It used to be insanely hard, especially in the afternoon winds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Wonderful morning. Another chilly start, and the pesky clouds showed up mid round to spoil a few pics, but otherwise it was a great day to walk on a very picturesque course. La Purisima today. The course has hosted men's and women's professional and amateur events. No idea why it doesn't show up on GolfWeek's best in state list. Certainly a better layout than Soule Park. More prairie style than parkland, it sits in a shallow valley, but unlike Alisal a handful of holes play up on the hills. The front is more open than the back where a number of the final holes are heavily treed. Water on six holes, but there was a dry, sandy creek that crosses a few others. Fairway bunkering was generally good. Light on a few holes, and excellent on many. Greenside was very good. Four holes with right to left movement, which suited this drawer just fine. Lol. 

Mixed bag off the tee. The front was fairly open, although a couple of holes had enough side slope to feed decent drives down into the rough. As noted, the back had a few holes that were quite tight, including the dogleg 14th that required a good poke to clear the corner. The rough was plentiful, so minor misses could be found, but it was thick enough to be penal. Big misses would generally find the native areas and be lost in the thick junk. A huge miss might find an adjacent fairway on a few holes. 

Approaches were tough with well guarded greens. Several were elevated, and a few were downhill, including all four of the par 3s. Greens had moderate contouring, and a decent amount of slope. Putting required due diligence. Up and downs were anything but easy coming out of the thick rough with plenty of opportunities to shortside yourself. 

Par 3s were excellent. Plenty of trouble, and a nice mix of lengths ranging from a gap wedge on the 3rd to a 3 wood on the long 9th. The 3rd was tough with a forced carry over a pond to a shallow green guarded by a deep front bunker. 5s were disappointing. Tough, but no risk/reward. The long 12th was a beast at 570 yds. Only one short par 4, the 4th. The dogleg had a large bunker on the corner, and risking it left a flip wedge to the elevated green. 

Conditions were decent. Fairways still had some soft areas from the recent rains, but were generally good. Rough was thick, but cut to a nice height. Fairway bunkers were in poor shape, but I don't mind a thin lie there anyway. Greenside bunkers were excellent with plenty of soft, groomed sand. Greens looked nice, but the morning dew had them rolling glacially. Probably 8, and might have reached 9 late in the round. 

Played the Blue/White combo at 6375 yds (72.1/133). Solid day ballstriking, but couldn't buy a putt for the most part. One birdie and eight bogies. Highlight of the round was a sweet 33' putt to save par on the long par 3 9th after pulling my teeshot, and hitting a mediocre flop over the left front bunker. The deer on the course were entertaining. 

I feel like I've been stingy lately, but I think this one merits 7 cows. Great looking course with some wonderful views of the course and surrounding area. Definitely needs a risk/reward par 5, and another short 4. The $72 weekday walking rate was fine. Definitely a must play. In fact, unless Rancho Maria blows me away tomorrow, I'll very likely be back on Thursday. 

One of my favorite courses in CA along with Hunter Ranch in Paso Robles. Nothing really hidden at Purisma. It's all right in front of you. No tricks. A good score is very well earned, however.

Edited by ThinkingPlus
Spelling correction...
  • Like 3