2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

15 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Restaurant food prices have gone insane. I know Monterey is a tourist town, but $9 for a cup of chowder, and $23 for fish and chips? 

London Bridge Pub. Chowder is tasty. F&C aren't half bad. Feels like an authentic pub. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's the $20 wages California demands.  I had a friend in Malibu this fall said McDonald quarter pounder was $15.....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sitting in Bessie having a morning cup of coffee and looking at the beautiful sunshine outside. Sigh. The weathermen really messed up today. Looking at the radar, at worst it looks like there might be some passing sprinkles later this morning, and/or mid-afternoon. Oh, well. I was going to take a day off this weekend, so today is almost as good as tomorrow. Only minor problem is that I plan to play through Thursday before I head to San Martin on Friday. With a round scheduled tomorrow, I'll be dragging by the end of the week with five rounds in five days. First world problems, I know. Lol.

Booked an RV park for 3 nights in Bakersfield in mid-April. I was going to head to San Bernardino after that to cut down the drive to Las Vegas, but looking at travel times it doesn't really save much. There are a few courses in the San Bernardino area that might be worth checking out, but nothing that's a must play. 

I think a better plan is to head from Bakersfield to Barstow for 2 nights. There are a handful of courses 30 minutes south of Barstow, so I can play one round before driving to Sin City. That will cut the drive from Bakersfield to the Vegas down to 5 hours total. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Posted (edited)

Was hoping to have dinner at Casanova early this evening, but there are no openings until late. Must be a popular spot. I'll try again sometime early next week. 

Edit: booked dinner on Tuesday. Looking forward to the gnocchi. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

42 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Was hoping to have dinner at Casanova early this evening, but there are no openings until late. Must be a popular spot. I'll try again sometime early next week. 

Edit: booked dinner on Tuesday. Looking forward to the gnocchi. 

Looks like an interesting place.  Good looking food.  Don't let 'em seat you outside.  You've had too much of that lately.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

On 3/28/2024 at 3:14 PM, Argonne69 said:

Booked Pacific Grove Golf Links for Monday morning. I was hoping to play it on Sunday, but there was nothing available until late morning. I found that odd, because Easter Sunday is generally a quiet day in the morning. Called the course and found out that they have a college tournament that morning. Hopefully the course will be in decent shape on Monday. Given that I drive the ball ~75 yds shorter than the average college player these days, I don't think I have to worry about divot holes. Lol. 

I have to keep reminding myself that I'm no longer in SoCal. Sitting outside at Fieldwork again enjoying a nice Russian Imperial Stout, and I'm freezing my behind off. It's 60 degrees and breezy. It won't reach 60 degrees again until Monday. 

spacer.png

Looks like ur at the Fieldwork right next to the Peet’s in the TJs parking lot. I HIGHLY recommend the croissants 🥐 at the little bakery at the opposite side of the parking lot. Best I’ve had outside of Europe. 

https://parkerlusseau.com

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jjr said:

Out back @Casanova's is great if the weather is nice, spinach gnocchi's, my mouth is watering!

It'll probably be 50 degrees by the time I sit down. Unless they have propane heaters, I'll probably eat inside. 

• Like 1

Bah. I was planning to take a short drive to Point Lobos and take a hike to the coast overlooking Carmel Bay and Pebble Beach. Took a short nap and woke up to find heavy cloud cover and light rain. I'll delay the excursion until Tuesday before dinner in Carmel. 

Headed south on Highway 1 to Post No Bills Craft Beer House in Carmel-by-the-Sea. Small taproom with 13 taps, but surprisingly only 3 IPAs. Lol. The Fort George Brewing Matryoshka Russian Imperial Stout (14% ABV) is very tasty. 

spacer.png

They have a decent selection of bottles beer to go. Might walk out with a bottle of Firestone Walker XXVI Anniversary Ale. 

• Like 2

Lol. I'm such a creature of habit. After my plans for dinner at Casanova fell through, I was looking for plan B. I'm certainly not a foodie, but after browsing through several menus for Carmel restaurants, I'm sure of it. I'll pay $500 for a round of golf at a top rated course, but $35 for pasta? Not going to happen. 

It's Saturday, so I started looking for a good Mexican restaurant, but picking were very slim. I really wish Google Maps would distinguish between a proper sit down Mexican restaurant and a counter service taqueria or food truck. Oy. 

Stumbled across Tarpy's Roadhouse, but I ate there in 2017, and while the ribeye was decent, it didn't blow me away. Also, I had steak 2 weeks ago. 

Wound up at Monterey Cookhouse. Meh. Don't know who writes some of the reviews, but the so called excellent BBQ was anything but. The Q was basically what you'd expect from a restaurant that isn't a barbeque joint. 

On the plus side, the clam chowder was very good. Better than yesterday's. On the downside, mashed potatos and vegetables with BBQ? Oy. The pulled pork slider was actually the best of the three meats. The brisket was tender, but it tasted like it had been boiled. Very little flavor. The ribs had some meat on them, but I can't begin to describe the rub. Certainly not one I've ever encountered on pork ribs. The sauce was also weird. Not like any BBQ sauce I've had. Alas, I probably should have gone to Tarpy's. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Sitting in Bessie having a morning cup of coffee and looking at the beautiful sunshine outside. Sigh. The weathermen really messed up today. Looking at the radar, at worst it looks like there might be some passing sprinkles later this morning, and/or mid-afternoon. Oh, well. I was going to take a day off this weekend, so today is almost as good as tomorrow. Only minor problem is that I plan to play through Thursday before I head to San Martin on Friday. With a round scheduled tomorrow, I'll be dragging by the end of the week with five rounds in five days. First world problems, I know. Lol.

Booked an RV park for 3 nights in Bakersfield in mid-April. I was going to head to San Bernardino after that to cut down the drive to Las Vegas, but looking at travel times it doesn't really save much. There are a few courses in the San Bernardino area that might be worth checking out, but nothing that's a must play. 

I think a better plan is to head from Bakersfield to Barstow for 2 nights. There are a handful of courses 30 minutes south of Barstow, so I can play one round before driving to Sin City. That will cut the drive from Bakersfield to the Vegas down to 5 hours total. 

Caddied for a friend at a US Open qualifier at Dragonfly.  Super long course but actually pretty nice and worth a play.  Think Bryson grew up there.

Edit - that's near Fresno not Bakersfield...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, StoutKing said:

Caddied for a friend at a US Open qualifier at Dragonfly.  Super long course but actually pretty nice and worth a play.  Think Bryson grew up there.

Edit - that's near Fresno not Bakersfield...

I have Dragonfly on my list for Fresno.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. I'm such a creature of habit. After my plans for dinner at Casanova fell through, I was looking for plan B. I'm certainly not a foodie, but after browsing through several menus for Carmel restaurants, I'm sure of it. I'll pay $500 for a round of golf at a top rated course, but $35 for pasta? Not going to happen. 

It's Saturday, so I started looking for a good Mexican restaurant, but picking were very slim. I really wish Google Maps would distinguish between a proper sit down Mexican restaurant and a counter service taqueria or food truck. Oy. 

Stumbled across Tarpy's Roadhouse, but I ate there in 2017, and while the ribeye was decent, it didn't blow me away. Also, I had steak 2 weeks ago. 

Wound up at Monterey Cookhouse. Meh. Don't know who writes some of the reviews, but the so called excellent BBQ was anything but. The Q was basically what you'd expect from a restaurant that isn't a barbeque joint. 

On the plus side, the clam chowder was very good. Better than yesterday's. On the downside, mashed potatos and vegetables with BBQ? Oy. The pulled pork slider was actually the best of the three meats. The brisket was tender, but it tasted like it had been boiled. Very little flavor. The ribs had some meat on them, but I can't begin to describe the rub. Certainly not one I've ever encountered on pork ribs. The sauce was also weird. Not like any BBQ sauce I've had. Alas, I probably should have gone to Tarpy's. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

They serve it on a plate no bueno.  

14 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

As a Kansas City guy that looks absolutely awful!

And I'm sure it wasn't cheap either.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

56 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Now you can have that $36 dinner in Carmel... and a gin & tonic!

Lol. Might have to put it in a CD to help pay for Shadow Creek. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

They cut $200 off the rate, so it'll only be $425 instead of $625. I can live with that. 

Nice! Take a chunk of it and splurge for dinner and a cocktail at Stillwater. I know you’ve been out there before, but its as good a place as any to soak up the views along with a fine meal and excellent service to boot.

Enjoy your stay on the Monterey Peninsula! Thats a yearly excursion for the wife and I so I am definitely living vicariously through you while you’re out that way and we’re back in the rainy northeast.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DoughBack18 said:

Nice! Take a chunk of it and splurge for dinner and a cocktail at Stillwater. I know you’ve been out there before, but its as good a place as any to soak up the views along with a fine meal and excellent service to boot.

Enjoy your stay on the Monterey Peninsula! Thats a yearly excursion for the wife and I so I am definitely living vicariously through you while you’re out that way and we’re back in the rainy northeast.

Not sure if I'll do Stillwater or the Tap Room. Definitely going to get some Prime Rib Chili. 

• Like 3

Sunday Funday. Lovely morning. Pesky clouds rolled in on the back nine to spoil a few photos, but they cleared out for the final stretch. Black Horse today. Beautiful course, but as some of you have mentioned the construction of houses has taken away some of the beauty. The orange construction fencing on the front was distracting, but once it's finished it won't be too bad I guess. Large areas in front of some of the teeboxes have yet to be seeded, so it looks like a desert layout at times. 'Very nice rolling parkland layout with some limited views of the bay, and of course houses. Bunkering was excellent, fairway and greenside. I'd still like to see a few more. Lol. Don't recall seeing any water in play, although a handful of holes had large bodies of standing water being pumped out. Only 3 holes with left/right movement, but I didn't find it overly monotonous. 

Moderately difficult off the tee with plenty of bunkers to capture your drives. Minor misses would easily catch the generous rough. Trees are sparse, so even big misses could be played unless you really sprayed one on the handful of perimeter holes. Approaches were also tough with solid bunkering and numerous elevated greens. The bunkering didn't leave many holes with openings in front to run a ball up. Greens had a nice amount of contouring and slope. Challenging without being punishing. Putting was tricky. Miss in a good spot and up and downs were still tough. Short side yourself and it was really tough. 

Par 3s were solid with good bunkering, but not much eye candy. Nice mix of lengths. Other than the 1st, the par 5s were ho hum. The short hook shaped opening hole was a very good risk/reward hole with numerous bunkers in play. The pair of short 4s were very good. The driveable 6th was the best of the two with plenty of bunkers near the green. 

Conditions were good, but not perfect. Many tee boxes were still growing in, so one could see more dirt than grass on them. The large unseeded sandy areas didn't really come into play. Fairways had a few iffy areas, but we're generally good. Bunkers were a bit of a mess with standing water in many, and very little sand. Used a lob wedge each time. Greens looked fine, but were slow. Probably 9 at best. 

Played the Blue/White combo at 6210 yds (71.0/131). One of the better days ballstriking in recent weeks, but couldn't adjust to the green speeds. One birdie and six bogies. Highlight was finally making a birdie putt on the short par 4 16th after sticking a lob wedge within 6 feet. 

Going with a solid 6 cows. Lovely looking course with some challenging holes, but I'd still like to see a few tweaks. Another risk/reward par 5 would be nice. Bunkers need renovation, especially given the $118 weekend walking rate. Not shockingly high, but at that price I expect sand in the bunkers. I'd say it's a 2nd tier must play in the area after the big ones. Don't think you'll be disappointed. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Sunday Funday. Lovely morning. Pesky clouds rolled in on the back nine to spoil a few photos, but they cleared out for the final stretch. Black Horse today. Beautiful course, but as some of you have mentioned the construction of houses has taken away some of the beauty. The orange construction fencing on the front was distracting, but once it's finished it won't be too bad I guess. Large areas in front of some of the teeboxes have yet to be seeded, so it looks like a desert layout at times. 'Very nice rolling parkland layout with some limited views of the bay, and of course houses. Bunkering was excellent, fairway and greenside. I'd still like to see a few more. Lol. Don't recall seeing any water in play, although a handful of holes had large bodies of standing water being pumped out. Only 3 holes with left/right movement, but I didn't find it overly monotonous. 

Moderately difficult off the tee with plenty of bunkers to capture your drives. Minor misses would easily catch the generous rough. Trees are sparse, so even big misses could be played unless you really sprayed one on the handful of perimeter holes. Approaches were also tough with solid bunkering and numerous elevated greens. The bunkering didn't leave many holes with openings in front to run a ball up. Greens had a nice amount of contouring and slope. Challenging without being punishing. Putting was tricky. Miss in a good spot and up and downs were still tough. Short side yourself and it was really tough. 

Par 3s were solid with good bunkering, but not much eye candy. Nice mix of lengths. Other than the 1st, the par 5s were ho hum. The short hook shaped opening hole was a very good risk/reward hole with numerous bunkers in play. The pair of short 4s were very good. The driveable 6th was the best of the two with plenty of bunkers near the green. 

Conditions were good, but not perfect. Many tee boxes were still growing in, so one could see more dirt than grass on them. The large unseeded sandy areas didn't really come into play. Fairways had a few iffy areas, but we're generally good. Bunkers were a bit of a mess with standing water in many, and very little sand. Used a lob wedge each time. Greens looked fine, but were slow. Probably 9 at best. 

Played the Blue/White combo at 6210 yds (71.0/131). One of the better days ballstriking in recent weeks, but couldn't adjust to the green speeds. One birdie and six bogies. Highlight was finally making a birdie putt on the short par 4 16th after sticking a lob wedge within 6 feet. 

Going with a solid 6 cows. Lovely looking course with some challenging holes, but I'd still like to see a few tweaks. Another risk/reward par 5 would be nice. Bunkers need renovation, especially given the $118 weekend walking rate. Not shockingly high, but at that price I expect sand in the bunkers. I'd say it's a 2nd tier must play in the area after the big ones. Don't think you'll be disappointed. 

Wow, sorry to hear the course conditions have become so bad. It was always in great shape when I played it. In fact it was used as Q school and also the CPPGA Championship. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Stopped for a drink at The Brass Tap in Marina, but the place was still under construction. Boo. Wound up back at the RV park. After a nice, hot shower, I'll crack open one of the imperial stouts in my vast collection. I can only bring a case into Canada this summer, so I had better drink them while I can. Lol. 

• Like 1

Blackhorse.... not sure I'd agree with your assessments, but then again I have played it many times over many years.  It's another that the more I play the less I like it.  It's a tough course.   It's not horribly overpriced relative to the area.  I just can't call find enough positives to call it a must play in the area and... conditions get so spotty from time to time, many have played it and come back disappointed.

Glad you liked it though.  But man if that is 6 cows and Monterey Pines is 4... well... you and I like different things in golf courses.

Which is very much OK.  We agree on Prime Rib Chili.  🙂

Have fun at Pebble!  Should be good weather from here on out... correct?

• Like 1

Sadly... regarding long long rounds at Pebble...what you know from playing before, and what people report, is generally true.  Too many people consider it a bucket list place (which it is) despite no level of golf skill nor knowledge of etiquette or pace of play.  They take lots of pictures.  It's carts on path.  Add all that up and 6 hour rounds happen too often.

BUT... it is not ALWAYS that way... I've played it in three hours without rushing. That was a special time though... first group off, twosome... day after torrential rains when many had canceled.

Today... it's likely to be crowded.  Try to take a caddie or get lucky and get in a group with others who have such... the caddies move things along.

One way or the other... it's a very special course.  If it is looking like 6 hours... go with the flow and take more pictures.  🙂

• Like 1