2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I'm Overwhelmed - Garage Sim

paulman21

@greenwavegolfer Thanks for the reply. I think there's going to be compromise regardless (performance or my budget). 

Here's where I'm getting overwhelmed now. What exactly am I getting in the base level monitor? Assume it's me by myself and I don't care about saving data (to keep it simple). What do I get with the manufacturer-offered subscription? What do I get with 3rd party software? I would like 3d ball-flight and a short game/skills area (something other than choosing a random yardage and manually setting a green there). Anything else is a bonus. The thing that really throws me is with Mevo+ and ST: they both can be integrated with the same software but the pricing and descriptions of what comes with seem wildly different...

Mevo+: sounds like 3d ballflight, skills area, and a few courses are included in the base price. What exactly is the software that provides the 5 courses and 17 practice ranges? Is it the FS Skills app? Is it a limited version of e6 connect? TGC 2019 (one-time $960) gives me a ton of courses. Are there any skills/short game areas? TruGolf e6 Connect ($300/year) gives me 12 courses (rotating) and 17 ranges. I'm assuming the only thing different from the included offering is the rotating 12 courses? Then there's the e6 expanded plan ($600/year) that gives me more courses over the $300/year subscription? @Exactice808 can you help? Which do you have?

BLP: To get the 3d ballflight, I have to pay for the silver subscription ($399/year) and that gives me 5 courses. I can buy additional courses for $150-$200 and Foresight Fairgrounds (closest thing to short game area) for $125. The gold sub gives me all the club data and few more courses with the $799/year? Does that sound right?

SkyTrak: 3d ballflight comes with it but no courses. e6 Connect basic ($300/year) will get me the short game areas and a bunch of courses but I also need the $99.95/year Game Improvement Plan. TGC will run $400/year and give me a ton of courses. Are there any short game areas or do you just use short par 3 courses? @A.Princey can you help?

Thanks all for your patience with this... 😬

On 1/6/2022 at 3:39 PM, paulman21 said:

@Exactice808 thanks for the detailed narrative. The e6 stuff that comes with mevo+ is basically a pared-down version of the full e6 purchased for other LMs. Is that correct?

Generically Yes, you can say that,  but its just limited courses. The big thing its included at no extra fee.  Its not a big deal as for me its all about the practice anyways I dont play to play at the exotic course, just need to practice. 

To buy the PC version its like $1,000 or some crazy yearly subscription.  No thank you LOL! 

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

3 hours ago, paulman21 said:

@greenwavegolfer Thanks for the reply. I think there's going to be compromise regardless (performance or my budget). 

Here's where I'm getting overwhelmed now. What exactly am I getting in the base level monitor? Assume it's me by myself and I don't care about saving data (to keep it simple). What do I get with the manufacturer-offered subscription? What do I get with 3rd party software? I would like 3d ball-flight and a short game/skills area (something other than choosing a random yardage and manually setting a green there). Anything else is a bonus. The thing that really throws me is with Mevo+ and ST: they both can be integrated with the same software but the pricing and descriptions of what comes with seem wildly different...

Mevo+: sounds like 3d ballflight, skills area, and a few courses are included in the base price. What exactly is the software that provides the 5 courses and 17 practice ranges? Is it the FS Skills app? Is it a limited version of e6 connect? TGC 2019 (one-time $960) gives me a ton of courses. Are there any skills/short game areas? TruGolf e6 Connect ($300/year) gives me 12 courses (rotating) and 17 ranges. I'm assuming the only thing different from the included offering is the rotating 12 courses? Then there's the e6 expanded plan ($600/year) that gives me more courses over the $300/year subscription? @Exactice808 can you help? Which do you have?

BLP: To get the 3d ballflight, I have to pay for the silver subscription ($399/year) and that gives me 5 courses. I can buy additional courses for $150-$200 and Foresight Fairgrounds (closest thing to short game area) for $125. The gold sub gives me all the club data and few more courses with the $799/year? Does that sound right?

SkyTrak: 3d ballflight comes with it but no courses. e6 Connect basic ($300/year) will get me the short game areas and a bunch of courses but I also need the $99.95/year Game Improvement Plan. TGC will run $400/year and give me a ton of courses. Are there any short game areas or do you just use short par 3 courses? @A.Princey can you help?

You should get the TGC/TGC2019 software one-time-purchase. Don’t do the yearly software fee option. Once you have the lifetime use of TGC, the only yearly subscription will be the 99$ Improve Plan to use YOUR software. I play real courses, no real practice or short game use yet. 

The initial price is somewhat high, but lifetime use + 1000’s of real lidar courses makes it worth it. Online tours are fun and follow along with the same week PGA tour stops as well. Really fun to establish an in-game hcp and play for Net/Gross spots on the “tour”.

I think you can still get the OG TGC lifetime option at a much cheaper rate, then you can upgrade to TGC2019 for 400$ later. The gameplay in TGC1 is still really just as good, just no real online community to play against anymore, and no short game practice areas, and ever so slightly reduced graphics. I went with the OG for a couple years, and if it wasn’t for wanting to play online tour societies, I probably would’ve never upgraded. Multiple tee choices makes multiplayer much easier on TGC2019, and friendlier to shorter hitters for sure. The OG is still a very good option though, for what it truly is. Ymmv

Edited by A.Princey
  • Thanks 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

4 hours ago, paulman21 said:

Mevo+  Simply comes with 5 course, which are not bad at all for practice, 

The Driving Range with 5 different types of range, a straight a way, a large target, small target, Shot shape target and a long driver target.

The Short Game comes with 1 putting green,  but its a like a huge practice area, where you can move off the green and hit as far as 100y into the green area. 

Then there is I think 6 short game pre set shots,  over a log, over a trap etc etc, but you can just move the ball and the flag to where you want to practice any short game shot you want basically.

Its all included in the Mevo+ iOS kit.  I cannot stress iOS, meaning you cant use it on android or PC. You also cant use a Mac mini or Imac as the app only works on an Iphone or Ipad (without an emulator that sucks, I have tried).

If you want to use PC you have to "buy" the license and its expensive.  

As I mention in my other post, I really have no use to buy anything else. The short game area is EXCELLENT, the Driving range is great or I can just go use the FS Golf App for working out distances and ball data.   All of this was.... $1,800 good enough. No other cost. Heck I am on the fence about the Pro Upgrade. I know it will be discounted for current owners, but really do I need it?.... (I am cheap)

Anyways. Good luck! 

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

16 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

Mevo+  Simply comes with 5 course, which are not bad at all for practice, 

The Driving Range with 5 different types of range, a straight a way, a large target, small target, Shot shape target and a long driver target.

The Short Game comes with 1 putting green,  but its a like a huge practice area, where you can move off the green and hit as far as 100y into the green area. 

Then there is I think 6 short game pre set shots,  over a log, over a trap etc etc, but you can just move the ball and the flag to where you want to practice any short game shot you want basically.

Its all included in the Mevo+ iOS kit.  I cannot stress iOS, meaning you cant use it on android or PC. You also cant use a Mac mini or Imac as the app only works on an Iphone or Ipad (without an emulator that sucks, I have tried).

If you want to use PC you have to "buy" the license and its expensive.  

As I mention in my other post, I really have no use to buy anything else. The short game area is EXCELLENT, the Driving range is great or I can just go use the FS Golf App for working out distances and ball data.   All of this was.... $1,800 good enough. No other cost. Heck I am on the fence about the Pro Upgrade. I know it will be discounted for current owners, but really do I need it?.... (I am cheap)

Anyways. Good luck! 

Mevo+ seems like a no-brainer...if I have the space. I just don't know if I do 😭 thanks again for another detailed response

Im not against Mevo+, as it really seems like a huge package deal vs others, but another question about your space is this. Being in your garage, will you need to constantly rearrange things to “regain” the position spot for the Mevo? For example, will lawnmowers, chairs, ladders etc. never occupy this space? Heck, even my SkyTrak area became a cluttered mess over the summer, when I was using it less. Garages double as storage, so this is a big factor most don’t realize until family and life take over, in between using the garage as a “golf space”.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Hi all,

My garage will also serve as my SIM space and yes it is full of stuff. It is only 11x18 so it will be tight. I have the Garmin R10 now and swing outside to the net inside the garage due to ceiling height. But since I need to replace the roof on my 1940's detached garage I am also going to increase wall height from 7 to 10 feet. I will need to organize things up a bit as the garage serves as storage space and pool cabana.

29 minutes ago, rlefig said:

Hi all,

My garage will also serve as my SIM space and yes it is full of stuff. It is only 11x18 so it will be tight. I have the Garmin R10 now and swing outside to the net inside the garage due to ceiling height. But since I need to replace the roof on my 1940's detached garage I am also going to increase wall height from 7 to 10 feet. I will need to organize things up a bit as the garage serves as storage space and pool cabana.

Not sure but if you have a garage door opener, look at one of the side mounted options. A touch more $$, but middle of the garage opens up nicely. 

Just for a data point, I run a mevo+ in a single car garage. The unit is about a foot from the door and the net is up shower curtain style on a steel cable about a yard from the back wall. I get 8' to the center of the hitting mat and 8' to the net. Seems to be working great. I don't know if there's a standard length for garages, but mine seems to be pretty average & cookie cutter. House built in the 70's.

1 hour ago, fightthenoise said:

Just for a data point, I run a mevo+ in a single car garage. The unit is about a foot from the door and the net is up shower curtain style on a steel cable about a yard from the back wall. I get 8' to the center of the hitting mat and 8' to the net. Seems to be working great. I don't know if there's a standard length for garages, but mine seems to be pretty average & cookie cutter. House built in the 70's.

Nooooo. Don't say that. I was convinced I didn't have the room and the decision was easy. Don't make it difficult 😆

On 1/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, paulman21 said:

@Exactice808 what do you use to run the included e6 software? If its an ipad/iphone, how does it run and how are the graphics quality? I imagine not great compared to a gaming computer used for the full e6...but good enough?

So I did same heavy researching, but this is what I ended it up with.

E6 Connect requires A11 chip or higher

I have an Iphone XR,  that is an A12 chip.  For the most part it works,  graphics are limited so a little grainy,  when it hooked up to the projector, it works, not pretty but works, but the phone gets HOT, and I mean HOT.  Secondly the phone is way too small to see the data and set the shot locations and ball parameters, so this was a no go for me. 

I looked at Ipads.... of course I wanted the Pro with the M1 chip, but over $1,000 was nuts. I got an un real deal with AT&T to trade in an old I pad mini2 for an new gen Ipad Air with the A14 chip.  (I wanted the larger screen) 50% off! 

So for the most part the Ipad Air with A14 is great, doesnt get too hot, battery life is a little rough after 2 rounds of 18 its more than 50% drained, but the output is decent. I think my projector though is also the limiting output factor over the Ipad Air output, so when I upgrade the projector it may look better.  To be honest, when I had the 30day PC demo, I could not really see the difference in video quality between the Ipad and the PC, but surely between the PC and the Iphone.  So agani I think the A14 chip is or higher is recommended. 

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 1/12/2022 at 5:25 PM, fightthenoise said:

My worry is the rails on the top messes with my driver swing but haven't tested. 

If you are referring to the garage door track then your worry is valid.  I have a dent in a Fing Ryoma Maxima driver from finding out I was apparently really close until the one swing I wasn’t.  

I can try to post pics, but my sim is perpendicular to the doors so I moved the straps on the end as far away as k could then cut the excess after the strap.  I believe I have a lot of room now but I keep my GC2 almost to the tight side of screen and ball is 20” from that so I have myself hitting probably 1/3 from right if screen instead of dead center, which has my body close to center of the sim if that makes sense.  It works great no issues since the one but drivers are expensive and it took a while to get it out of my head after the ding. 

Edited by Bigmean

On 1/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Bigmean said:

If you are referring to the garage door track then your worry is valid.  I have a dent in a Fing Ryoma Maxima driver from finding out I was apparently really close until the one swing I wasn’t.  

I can try to post pics, but my sim is perpendicular to the doors so I moved the straps on the end as far away as k could then cut the excess after the strap.  I believe I have a lot of room now but I keep my GC2 almost to the tight side of screen and ball is 20” from that so I have myself hitting probably 1/3 from right if screen instead of dead center, which has my body close to center of the sim if that makes sense.  It works great no issues since the one but drivers are expensive and it took a while to get it out of my head after the ding. 

Please post a picture of this setup!

Can you shift the aiming point over the right side in the software or does being staggered to the right mess with alignment?

On 1/18/2022 at 11:12 AM, Exactice808 said:

So I did same heavy researching, but this is what I ended it up with.

E6 Connect requires A11 chip or higher

I have an Iphone XR,  that is an A12 chip.  For the most part it works,  graphics are limited so a little grainy,  when it hooked up to the projector, it works, not pretty but works, but the phone gets HOT, and I mean HOT.  Secondly the phone is way too small to see the data and set the shot locations and ball parameters, so this was a no go for me. 

I looked at Ipads.... of course I wanted the Pro with the M1 chip, but over $1,000 was nuts. I got an un real deal with AT&T to trade in an old I pad mini2 for an new gen Ipad Air with the A14 chip.  (I wanted the larger screen) 50% off! 

So for the most part the Ipad Air with A14 is great, doesnt get too hot, battery life is a little rough after 2 rounds of 18 its more than 50% drained, but the output is decent. I think my projector though is also the limiting output factor over the Ipad Air output, so when I upgrade the projector it may look better.  To be honest, when I had the 30day PC demo, I could not really see the difference in video quality between the Ipad and the PC, but surely between the PC and the Iphone.  So agani I think the A14 chip is or higher is recommended. 

I’m noodling on a mevo/skytrak setup, and was thinking of just running on slightly older iPad but then using AirPlay to mirror it on a tv. I wonder if I’d run into same overheating issues. Anyone try this?

7 minutes ago, statepgm said:

I’m noodling on a mevo/skytrak setup, and was thinking of just running on slightly older iPad but then using AirPlay to mirror it on a tv. I wonder if I’d run into same overheating issues. Anyone try this?

How old is the Ipad,

The iphone XR A12 chip was working fine just got hot,  what Chip is in your current Ipad.  Secondly if you are already using the Ipad just get an adapter and a long HDMI cable and run direct. I am concerned of the scaling the Apple TV/Airplay/mirror will do to the quality.  The Adaptors and cables are CHEAP on Amazon and worth the extra visual quality output in my opinion.

Heck I have about 4 adapters trying them out they were so cheap LOL! 

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

51 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

How old is the Ipad,

The iphone XR A12 chip was working fine just got hot,  what Chip is in your current Ipad.  Secondly if you are already using the Ipad just get an adapter and a long HDMI cable and run direct. I am concerned of the scaling the Apple TV/Airplay/mirror will do to the quality.  The Adaptors and cables are CHEAP on Amazon and worth the extra visual quality output in my opinion.

Heck I have about 4 adapters trying them out they were so cheap LOL! 

It’s old. A10 chip. New iPads are so cheap may just have to add to the list. And you’re right, easy enough to just direct connect to tv. 

@paulman21 What did you end up deciding on? I run a mevo+ in my garage and I'm fairly certain I could get this done close to $3k if I started over again. It's not as tough to get started and add on as needed as you might think. Here's a couple pics of mine, PM me if you have any questions I'd love to help out. 

carpet.jpg

carpet1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pens #1 fan said:

Where are you guys getting your screen and projectors? 

I got the birdie ball screen off Gung-ho golf website. I splurged a bit on a projector benq TH671ST off amazon. 

I'm actually in the market to sell the 12 foot screen I have now (going to upgrade to 16') if anyone is interested. Would let it go super cheap. 

https://store.gunghogolf.com/Birdie-Impact-Screen-10-tall-and-sold-by-the-linear-foot-for-width-p209953422

@aramirez24  I haven't made any purchases yet, unfortunately. The place I was supposed to move into is progressing slower than expected...I wanted to measure the garage before I actually purchase in case the garage is smaller than I expected. But I'm leaning toward a Mevo+ right now so I will definitely be in touch. Thanks!