How much will fitted clubs help my 10-year old junior girl bogey level golfer?

Hi all, appreciate any help and advice on the following.

My daughter is 9, soon to be 10, on the taller end for her age. She currently uses the USKG TS for 57-60 inches, and my best measurement suggests she's in the 59-60 inch range. I expect her to grow 2-3 inches over the next 12 months. She currently uses the steel shafts and as far as I can tell, the weight doesn't really negatively affect her (compared to graphite). Her driver swing speed currently tops out around 70mph or at best, low 70s. She only recently started more physical fitness training, so it's possible she could experience a meaningful growth in strength this year.

I'm trying to figure out how much going in for a fitting would help her. She's roughly a bogey level golfer on a USKG set-up, but she hasn't been playing that long compared to some other kids (she's played recreationally for about 2.5 years and competitively for 0.5 years). With practice, I think we could get close to Par golf on a USKG local tour set up by mid summer or so, mostly because that would consist of a Driver + sand wedge in on most holes for her. She carries her Driver around 140-150 when she flushes it, and it probably rolls out another 25 yards or so. Her rough carry yardages for her clubs are as follows:

PW: 70-75

9i: 85

8i: 95

7i: 100-105

Hybrid: 120

We have some really good club fitting outfits around where I live. How much improvement do you think could be gained for my daughter by swapping out the USKG TS for a customized set. I wouldn't say money is necessarily an issue for us, but it's also not a non-issue. I probably wouldn't be inclined to upgrade, for example, if the differences that would gained are a couple yards per club. I would normally wait it out some more, but she has a couple of yardage gaps in her set right now (namely Gap Wedge), so I have to either double down on the TS, or just go for a new set. 

Also, if she's 59 inches now and will grow 2.5 inches during the year, would it be foolish to keep her on her current set through the balance of the year?  Competitively, she will try to qualify for USKG worlds, but aside from that tournament and perhaps an occasional USKG state or regional tournament, we don't plan on joining any other competitive circuits this year.

Appreciate any and all thoughts!

Edited by NYBogeyGolfer

Getting fitted at that age and swing speed you will see very little benefit. Make logical choices and wait a while. If you get fitted when she is that young and swinging it that speed you will have very very very few options for her to try out, also the fitting will be good for maybe 6 months at best. At those speeds and carry distances keep her in USKG TS Graphite or Steel at the height appropriate set. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Getting fitted at that age and swing speed you will see very little benefit. Make logical choices and wait a while. If you get fitted when she is that young and swinging it that speed you will have very very very few options for her to try out, also the fitting will be good for maybe 6 months at best. At those speeds and carry distances keep her in USKG TS Graphite or Steel at the height appropriate set. 

100% agree with this.  

Until they are somewhere in the mid 80's a fitting is of no benefit.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Get clubs that fit, not fitted for clubs.

You could get her fitted, but then you'll need to do it again in 6 months.  

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

The fact your asking this question tells me that she isn’t ready for a real fitting. A lot people think a fitting will make then score less but a fitting doesn’t just magically do that.

Unless you have totally no clue i would not waste my money on a fitting.

If your looking to shape shots then a fitting is a good idea.  Hard to explain but you do a full fitting to get custom shafts because your looking to make small changes on how things impact the ball.  You will confuse a young kid worrying about those things.  

I think you need to stick to the basics get a basic fitting for free. US kids tour or something similar is usually perfect. 

you could probably get ladies clubs for her but honestly US Kids tour are actually better then a lot clubs sold to women.

i would look at getting a decent driver and woods that alone will make a huge difference. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYBogeyGolfer said:

Hi all, appreciate any help and advice on the following.

My daughter is 9, soon to be 10, on the taller end for her age. She currently uses the USKG TS for 57-60 inches, and my best measurement suggests she's in the 59-60 inch range. I expect her to grow 2-3 inches over the next 12 months. She currently uses the steel shafts and as far as I can tell, the weight doesn't really negatively affect her (compared to graphite). Her driver swing speed currently tops out around 70mph or at best, low 70s. She only recently started more physical fitness training, so it's possible she could experience a meaningful growth in strength this year.

I'm trying to figure out how much going in for a fitting would help her. She's roughly a bogey level golfer on a USKG set-up, but she hasn't been playing that long compared to some other kids (she's played recreationally for about 2.5 years and competitively for 0.5 years). With practice, I think we could get close to Par golf on a USKG local tour set up by mid summer or so, mostly because that would consist of a Driver + sand wedge in on most holes for her. She carries her Driver around 140-150 when she flushes it, and it probably rolls out another 25 yards or so. Her rough carry yardages for her clubs are as follows:

PW: 70-75

9i: 85

8i: 95

7i: 100-105

Hybrid: 120

We have some really good club fitting outfits around where I live. How much improvement do you think could be gained for my daughter by swapping out the USKG TS for a customized set. I wouldn't say money is necessarily an issue for us, but it's also not a non-issue. I probably wouldn't be inclined to upgrade, for example, if the differences that would gained are a couple yards per club. I would normally wait it out some more, but she has a couple of yardage gaps in her set right now (namely Gap Wedge), so I have to either double down on the TS, or just go for a new set. 

Also, if she's 59 inches now and will grow 2.5 inches during the year, would it be foolish to keep her on her current set through the balance of the year?  Competitively, she will try to qualify for USKG worlds, but aside from that tournament and perhaps an occasional USKG state or regional tournament, we don't plan on joining any other competitive circuits this year.

Appreciate any and all thoughts!

I coach juniors from ages 10-18, and I have seen many families/juniors do very well with the Ping Prodi-G set. The nice thing is they come in custom lengths, and Ping will reshaft them for free one time. These sets are good for kids all the way up to 5'4" or so. I also have this set for my own son (he is 14 now and just outgrew them), but he had them from 11-13 years old 5' to around 5'6" is when he outgrew them.  The fitting for this set is more of a static fit. An authorized Ping dealer should be able to help you get the lengths correct. 

Do some research into this set there are several options, and good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

Edited by Long Shot
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Clubs that fit over getting  “fitted”….from above

as long as clubs are not too short - or drastically long - she should be ok. Remember gripping down is a great option. Ask Brooke Henderson 

• Like 1

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

Thanks for all the responses everyone. 

Two follow up questions:

1. For the 57-60 set, at what height would you say she has really outgrown them? For example, I assume at 61 inches she can still hit the clubs without much of an issue. What are signs of clubs that are too short?

2. I assume the most performance add would be from a driver/woods fitting while keeping the TS3 irons. Any sense of what kind of yardage gains (Driver) could be achievable through a fitting, and what are the realistic options for a 59 inch 90 pound player? 

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, NYBogeyGolfer said:

Two follow up questions:

1. For the 57-60 set, at what height would you say she has really outgrown them? For example, I assume at 61 inches she can still hit the clubs without much of an issue. What are signs of clubs that are too short?

2. I assume the most performance add would be from a driver/woods fitting while keeping the TS3 irons. Any sense of what kind of yardage gains (Driver) could be achievable through a fitting, and what are the realistic options for a 59 inch 90 pound player? 

Thanks in advance!

US Kids clubs are either TS3-57 or TS3-60.  I'm guessing she's using the former.

If she's 59/60" it's a good time to start looking.  

Measure her exact height with golf shoes on, not bare feet.

Prodi-G is a popular choice, but I'd really take her down to the golf shop and have her hit some ladies clubs.  

Cobra junior driver is pretty popular, as are the cobra ladies woods.  For the later, you may need to trim to kids length.  

Adult ladies clubs, maybe.   Club fitting, no.  

Edited by mrshinsa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NYBogeyGolfer said:

Two follow up questions:

Thanks in advance!

1) If money isn’t really an issue, then just order the TS3 60-63 set now as they might be out of stock. My son’s 54-57 took more than a month. 

2) Yes, you can use better woods. You might pick up a tiny bit of distance, but the main part would be forgiveness. Again, you probably don’t need a fitting for the woods. As long as the woods aren’t too heavy your daughter will be fine. Quite a few here recommend Titleist Tsi1 woods.

To be honest, clubs isn’t the issue here if you want more distance. My young 9 year old son is 53-54” tall and 66lbs which is pretty dead average for his age. His driver speed is 70mph. Your daughter has a lot more in her, you should focus more on her swing instead. 

• Like 1

I think you should absolutely get your daughter fitted, but your thought process is wrong. Instead, 

• Get fitted yourself first. 
  • Order the latest and greatest, e.g. Stealth driver, Titleist T200, etc. 
  • Explain to wife that you are patiently breaking in the clubs for the kid. Spin it like you are providing kid a service. 
  • In 2024, your 12 yo daughter will be rocking Stealth driver and T200 irons. And you will be rocking Stealth3 and 2024 T200. Victory ~~~
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, NYBogeyGolfer said:

Two follow up questions:

Thanks in advance!

Having just gone through this twice for my kids.

I have found the best thing to do is buy the longest US Kids club length you can. That means taking her to PGA superstore and hitting clubs and buying the longest one they can actually hit. Better to be an inch too long then perfect and inch too short in a few months.  If you do not have a page superstore nearby I highly recommend doing Flynn Golf there actually better then US kids in my opinion.  They also can build clubs based on measurement. 

You know club are too short when you see them bending over to much to hit the ball.  

Forget about trying to have perfect clubs that is losing battle unless you like buying clubs. I know people worry about shaft flex and weight and a ton other things.  I learned none of that matters that much if they can't swing a driver over 70.  Just buy a ladies flex and cut it down.   The perfect fit driver might get them 5 to 10 yards more.  Honestly most kids can't hit the center of the face and spending time learning that will yield better results.

Hard to say what gain you will see with better Driver and woods.  I would think 10-20% is possible if they can make contact.  You also don't need to buy the latest driver. Just buy a 460cc driver that has a big sweet spot and you will be good. 

• Like 1

AT 70 SS I'd stick with USKG clubs. Now if you want to go adult you can do most of it on your own at that age and size. Find a head she likes, get a lightweight shaft and there you go. My daughter is 11 and we did a fitting mainly to confirm a few things. Nothing was purchased from it but mainly to get correct lie angles and to make sure we had the best fit, which we did (not which one goes the furthest).  Generally speaking you can do a lot on your own if you have an idea of what you are looking for. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NYBogeyGolfer said:

Two follow up questions:

Thanks in advance!

My 10 yo daughter is about the same size and weight as your daughter, swing speed lives in the low 70s and spikes to 74—also bogie golfer from 2,000+ yds.

She had been in the TS3-60 graphite irons for about 10 months.  She’s on the cusp of needing either steel shafts or ladies graphite (she’s snapped two shafts) at this point.  

Her SM7 wedges have Tensei red senior shafts, which she has grown into a little over the last year.  

She recently swapped the F9 junior driver out for a Titileist TS1, which is about 9g lighter and as forgiving (IMO) as the F9 was.  In switching to the

Titleist, we swapped out a lighter/more flexible Air Speeder R3 for the slightly heavier/firmer Air Speeder R2.  F9 ladies fairway wood was also swapped out for a Titleist TS2.  An F9 Speedback and Speedzone hybrid have been in her bag for some time, which weren’t necessarily a big upgrade over her old Prodi G hybrid, but a big upgrade over the USKG UL hybrid.

While being long certainly helps, hitting greens in regulation is crucial.  Not three-putting also crucial.  Work on these two things, because your daughter already has the natural length to break 40.  These better kids we play from Palm Beach and Orlando are throwing darts with their wedges and low irons.  Combine that with 160+ drives and it’s lethal at 2,000 yards.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Movingday said:

@MB19 where are you getting your shafts? 

eBay, but the TS1 driver did come with an AirSpeeder R2.  With some patience, Ive been able to snag Air Speeders and Bassara Lite shafts for around $40 shipped to my door.  Sometimes they come with the adapter I need, sometimes I have one, or have to buy an aftermarket off Amazon Prime.  With an 8 yo boy and a 10 yo girl, I’m lucky to have an ecosystem that can get extended use out of this hose products… or even steal from the other’s bag on occasion.

Edited by MB19
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Movingday said:

@MB19, is this the setup? And it looks like you are talking low to mid 70s? What would you suggest shaft wise for low to mid 80’s? Any suggestions are appreciated. 
Also, currently in an Epic Flash. Any thoughts on that as a comparison to the TS1?

8EAC4E30-2C10-49FC-AF38-E46A52B2B55F.png

That is the exact setup.  You can find that same setup $50-60 cheaper on eBay or sometimes even an online golf  outlet like 2nd Swing or Global Golf.  

For firmer shafts to accommodate a low-mid 89s swing , @darter79 and others may be able chime in with more knowledge than I have.

I have limited knowledge about the Epic Flash driver, but I believe the Star is the head most comparable to the TS1.

48 minutes ago, MB19 said:

That is the exact setup.  You can find that same setup $50-60 cheaper on eBay or sometimes even an online golf  outlet like 2nd Swing or Global Golf.  

For firmer shafts to accommodate a low-mid 89s swing , @darter79 and others may be able chime in with more knowledge than I have.

I have limited knowledge about the Epic Flash driver, but I believe the Star is the head most comparable to the TS1.

Thanks. Thoughts on loft at that swing speed also would be awesome. 

On 1/13/2022 at 10:36 PM, Movingday said:

@MB19, is this the setup? And it looks like you are talking low to mid 70s? What would you suggest shaft wise for low to mid 80’s? Any suggestions are appreciated. 
Also, currently in an Epic Flash. Any thoughts on that as a comparison to the TS1?

8EAC4E30-2C10-49FC-AF38-E46A52B2B55F.png

On 1/13/2022 at 10:58 PM, MB19 said:

@darter any thoughts on driver shaft for 80-85 SS?

I have two boys, 9 and 11 year old.

My 9 year old ( small for his age ) is at low 70's swing speed with his driver ( SIM2 MAX ) we have replaced the weight on it with a 6oz from the 24oz it came with, on a Flynn Shaft. His current max is about 150+ carry, 177 total off the TrackMan. From low 4,000 yards, his best is 73, i think 75-77 is more his average. From the Red Ladies tee 5400-5700 yards, he is averaging 85 on most courses. He average around 31-35 putts. I would say his current weakness is shooting those darts like MB19 mention, his GIR isn't that pretty, his last round from 4100 yards-ish, 12 Fariways, and 13 GIF, 1 Double, 4 Bogey, 8 Pars, and 5 Birdies, 73 +1. Been at this junior golf life for 2.5 years.

I recently got him the new Flynn golf Alto + Iron and Wedge set ( series 2 ), before getting these, I had the P790's in mind, kid is in love with TaylorMade, we actually went to a demo to try bunch of clubs, we ended up getting the MG3 52 56 and 60 wedges to to try before committing on the irons, and they were just too heavy for him, yes he can hit them alright, but the consistency wasn't there at all, so I looked into the difference in club head weights, and it was a very big different compare to US Kids and Flynn Golf heads. 

I am assuming getting fitted means adult clubs, I personally think sticking with junior clubs might be a better idea for now due to their strength, swing speed etc.... The Ping set with their one free of charge for shafts sounds like a good deal, I personally kept my boy with Flynn since that was the last set he used, and he seem to play well with them. US Kids are very popular and probably can not go wrong with those. My 11 year old is a lefty when he turns 12 I will get him into TM's, but he strong and heavy for his age, not tall though.

Off topic- I am not sure how the few selected juniors are all using OEM sets at the age of 9-12 in the LA/OC/SD area, maybe they have hook ups and get some sort of weight taken off. but I tried, and it was just too heavy for him for now.

Good Luck deciding for your girl, but I absolutely agree with not burning unnecessary money for now, there will be lots of opportunities for us parents to burn money soon enough 😉

• Like 1