What's your Dream school?

jkpgolf

3 hours ago, mikedellgolf said:

Maverick is the exception to everything.  His family is loaded.  His father, Scott, was formerly CEO of Sun microsystems and he was also CEO of other companies.  Maverick could have been a future CEO if he wanted to instead of playing golf.

I was about to say, the name Maverick should have been the first tell that the tuition at Stanford was going to be pocket money for his family.  

Edited by golfortennis
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

If y'all think I'm kidding... They are literally all named after Dodge cars and trucks.

Maverick: image.png.7c7eac35eb8b19831eabdd248f98ad45.png

Scout: image.png.f092ff16213a284a00f78e09ba01b715.png

Dakota: image.png.e0d38487b2526b7c1525c1c474896699.png

Colt: image.png.329d4ba296af139ada71e55677fb25e4.png

I am going to name the rest of my kids after hair styles.  First up will be Dreadlocks.

• Haha 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

16 hours ago, leezer99 said:

All the kids are named after cars. 

Not sure if anyone remembers a show called Sports Night.  There is an episode where one of the main characters (Casey), goes out on a date with some random girl(Pixley).  While discussing other matters with one of the staff, this is mentioned to Robert Guillaume, to which he replies "Casey is on a date with Pixley?  Could the two of them be any more white?"  

McNealys sound like the rich people version of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, golfortennis said:

I thought you were going with Cueball, after your own 'do?

Nah Man...  since I won't be having any more kids will egg my kids on to go with these names for grandkids.

Top 4 Boys

1.  Dread

2.  Buzz

3.  Mullet

4.  Fade

Top 4 Girls

1. Butterfly

2. Shullet

3.  Pixie

4.  Bob

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Haha 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

man this was a fun read and i wish i had seen this thread earlier on... from my personal experience...

I had a choice A) to attend one of the best sports programs in the country (would of attended College World Series twice during my time).  I had about a 70% scholarship and would of been 15 minutes from my parents house and all my friends. B) attend a top 5 academic school in the country, and prob. number 1 for what i studied with a similar "scholarship" (Ivies can't give scholarships but they have loopholes), 3k miles from home with a mediocre at-best team. 

I remember talking to my brother a few nights before my decision was due.  My brother went to a CC and was at the time a Managing Director at a top Investment Bank in NYC. His advice was simple- if your good enough to go pro, it'll happen; if not, you'll have the rest of your life ahead of you and a golden key to a lot of doors.  What school you went to is not the most important thing, but it is important.  In banking you better be connected or in the circle.  A 21 year old trying to get a job at a Big Bank, not from a top-tier program will have a very hard time.  Like someone mentioned earlier Ivies create a "closed-loop" and this is even more evident in the student athlete Ivy crowd.

I choose option B- had Tommy John surgery right before school started, and blew my ACL my junior year and never fully recovered.   My degree afforded me so many options.

So what is my dream school: depends on my kid's abilities; if golf is a means to reduce barriers to entry then academics is #1, if golf is a potential profession then academics and golf need to balance.  

• Like 4

Callaway Epic LS 9* MMT 70s
Taylormade SIM2 Ti 5W Evenflow Riptide X

Taylormade SIM2 4H Ventus S
New Level 902 5-P TTx100 SS
Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* TTs400
Evenroll EV-2
Bridgestone B-X
Vessel

26 minutes ago, miamigolfman said:

man this was a fun read and i wish i had seen this thread earlier on... from my personal experience...

I had a choice A) to attend one of the best sports programs in the country (would of attended College World Series twice during my time).  I had about a 70% scholarship and would of been 15 minutes from my parents house and all my friends. B) attend a top 5 academic school in the country, and prob. number 1 for what i studied with a similar "scholarship" (Ivies can't give scholarships but they have loopholes), 3k miles from home with a mediocre at-best team. 

I remember talking to my brother a few nights before my decision was due.  My brother went to a CC and was at the time a Managing Director at a top Investment Bank in NYC. His advice was simple- if your good enough to go pro, it'll happen; if not, you'll have the rest of your life ahead of you and a golden key to a lot of doors.  What school you went to is not the most important thing, but it is important.  In banking you better be connected or in the circleA 21 year old trying to get a job at a Big Bank, not from a top-tier program will have a very hard time.  Like someone mentioned earlier Ivies create a "closed-loop" and this is even more evident in the student athlete Ivy crowd.

I choose option B- had Tommy John surgery right before school started, and blew my ACL my junior year and never fully recovered.   My degree afforded me so many options.

So what is my dream school: depends on my kid's abilities; if golf is a means to reduce barriers to entry then academics is #1, if golf is a potential profession then academics and golf need to balance.  

So your brother attended CC and he also works in IB.  That proves there is more than one path to be successful in life.  "A 21 year old trying to get a job at a Big Bank, from any schools, including Ivies will have a very hard time."  unless he has the inside connections.

Edit:  I just got my son a summer internship in Computer Science for this summer '22.  They picked him over three other qualified candidates from Brown, Cornell, and Virginia Tech.  Those three candidates are much more qualified than my son but he ended up getting the summer internship because I work closely with the Senior Director of that group so the Sr. director returned the favor by hiring my son for the internship.  

I could have my kids work at Congressional CC (Rory Mcilory won the 2011 US Open) , Riverbend, or  Chevy Chase CC, and with the right mindset and connections, they can be just as successful with a degree from UVA/UNC vs. someone who attended Ivies 😀

https://www.ccclub.org/

https://rbgcc.org/

https://www.chevychaseclub.org/

Edited by mikedellgolf
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

So your brother attended CC and he also works in IB.  That proves there is more than one path to be successful in life.  "A 21 year old trying to get a job at a Big Bank, from any schools, including Ivies will have a very hard time."  unless he has the inside connections.

I could have my kids work at Congressional CC (Rory Mcilory won the 2011 US Open) , Riverbend, or  Chevy Chase CC, and with the right mindset and connections, they can be just as successful with a degree from UVA/UNC vs. someone who attended Ivies 😀

https://www.ccclub.org/

https://rbgcc.org/

https://www.chevychaseclub.org/

like i said right connections (i can't get my kid a job at the places you mention)... you rattle off three top private CC, then the kid needs the right mindset and then make the right contacts...

there will always be exceptions to every rule.  My brother went to CC, but then went to Colorado (likes to ski), then went to NYU law and was top 5 in his class.  He then hated law and was recruited over to banking...he worked his a** to get where he was.

here was my interview: a group of a few hundred graduating seniors (student athletes) in a room with alumni who were also student athletes who graduated a year or two before representing most (i think a few banks and funds were not represented but 12-15 were).  Whichever bank you were interested in- leave your resume with the rep.  I knew every single one of those reps., we either shoot hops, drank beers, or hit the gym together.  I had multiple offers by the end of the event.  

The hiring banks mindset:  if you can play a sport, be social, and graduate (essentially), you can do the job.   You have time management skills, you have the capacity to learn and be taught, you take care of yourself physically, you have soft skills (ties into the drinking and hanging out with), and depending on your sport: a self starter, a leader, teamwork. 

"they can be just as successful with a degree from UVA/UNC vs. someone who attended Ivies"... no doubt they could be and I hope they do.  My comments are simply that not all schools are equal in terms of the opportunities they provide independently of external factors.  The outliers will always continue to be the outliers (Jobs as an example), but when I try and plan I forecast based on probability.  I am pragmatic in that sense.  The amount of people that attend college just to get a piece of paper to me is insane- go learn a trade.  A journeyman electrician in Florida makes over 125k per year and if you work for a good utility that number can easily top 200k and guess what they PAY YOU while you learn and get certified and that ticket get you a job anywhere in the Country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Callaway Epic LS 9* MMT 70s
Taylormade SIM2 Ti 5W Evenflow Riptide X

Taylormade SIM2 4H Ventus S
New Level 902 5-P TTx100 SS
Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* TTs400
Evenroll EV-2
Bridgestone B-X
Vessel

17 minutes ago, miamigolfman said:

like i said right connections (i can't get my kid a job at the places you mention)... you rattle off three top private CC, then the kid needs the right mindset and then make the right contacts...

there will always be exceptions to every rule.  My brother went to CC, but then went to Colorado (likes to ski), then went to NYU law and was top 5 in his class.  He then hated law and was recruited over to banking...he worked his a** to get where he was.

here was my interview: a group of a few hundred graduating seniors (student athletes) in a room with alumni who were also student athletes who graduated a year or two before representing most (i think a few banks and funds were not represented but 12-15 were).  Whichever bank you were interested in- leave your resume with the rep.  I knew every single one of those reps., we either shoot hops, drank beers, or hit the gym together.  I had multiple offers by the end of the event.  

The hiring banks mindset:  if you can play a sport, be social, and graduate (essentially), you can do the job.   You have time management skills, you have the capacity to learn and be taught, you take care of yourself physically, you have soft skills (ties into the drinking and hanging out with), and depending on your sport: a self starter, a leader, teamwork. 

"they can be just as successful with a degree from UVA/UNC vs. someone who attended Ivies"... no doubt they could be and I hope they do.  My comments are simply that not all schools are equal in terms of the opportunities they provide independently of external factors.  The outliers will always continue to be the outliers (Jobs as an example), but when I try and plan I forecast based on probability.  I am pragmatic in that sense.  The amount of people that attend college just to get a piece of paper to me is insane- go learn a trade.  A journeyman electrician in Florida makes over 125k per year and if you work for a good utility that number can easily top 200k and guess what they PAY YOU while you learn and get certified and that ticket get you a job anywhere in the Country. 

Everything you said is completely accurate.  That's true for athletes everywhere, doesn't matter whether it is Ivies, UNC or UVA.    College athletes, with a college degree, are treated like royalties where I work and pretty much everywhere else.  A lot of technology sales people that I've dealt with are ex-college athletes and they make a lot of money in technology/software sales. 

My oldest son went to a private HS where many of his friends are members of Riverbend and Congressional CC so he got invited to play golf there.  My company CEO is also a member there.  My son gets to know a lot of people there and he is able to get his cousin a job at Riverbend CC.  He was thinking about working at Riverbend CC for the summer until he got the CS internship position through one of my "connections".  

I've always said to my children that you need to take advantage of these situations because they do not come very often and do not be afraid of rejections.  You can ask 100 people and you don't need 99 of them to give you opportunities, you just need one person to say yes, and when that happens, you need to take full advantage of the opportunity.    I also told them that Country Clubs like Congressional, Riverbend, Chevy Chase are places where you can learn and observe how people interact and behave.  It is one of the places where you can improve your social "soft" skills. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1