What's your Dream school?

jkpgolf

I’ve asked my son (13) multiple times what college he wants to go to and every time he says, “I don’t even know what I want to study yet”.  When the time comes for him to decide I think he will be evaluating the coach more than the institution. He has had plenty of crappy team coaches and a couple good ones. There is one D1 coach locally that he works with on putting that he really likes. 

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I have talked about this with my daughter.  These are things we have come up with in no particular order.

a team that works hard and wants to win.

A coach that you get along with.

Good practice facilities.

An alumni that supports it’s athletes.

you are allowed to study what you want.

A financial package that makes sense so you afford to attend.

If a school delivers all this there is not much reason to turn them down if the location makes sense.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, jkpgolf said:

What is you child's Dream School and why? Is academics more important or the golf program? Staying close to home? Or looking at another part of the country? Just curious what other kids and families are thinking

My kids dream schools are Florida, Oklahoma State and Vanderbilt. They are his Dream because he’s 13 and doesn’t know any better 😂
All joking aside, when it’s time for that conversation all of those things matter. First question I always asked my players (and parents) was how far away they were willing to go. Doesn’t matter how great a situation is if it’s too far away. So I think start there then that gives you a realistic radius to start looking. 

• Like 2

About 1% of the kids end up going to their "Dream School".  As they are being recruited reality sets in and it becomes the school/coach that likes you the most.

My kid says "I just want to play golf."  I see it as an opportunity to play golf at a higher level.  

• Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

7 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

About 1% of the kids end up going to their "Dream School".  As they are being recruited reality sets in and it becomes the school/coach that likes you the most.

My kid says "I just want to play golf."  I see it as an opportunity to play golf at a higher level.  

Agree with this 100%. Also the kids that are willing to play anywhere are usually the ones that stick it out. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Very few kids who play in college will make their living off golf. Your "Dream School" better be one that fits you best academically while also being good for golf and gives you the best chance to succeed overall in life. I know that isn't the idea most have but the decision on where to attend college should never be based primarily on athletics. A friend of mine's daughter could have easily played high level D2 or mid/low D1; however, the school that was best for her academically gave her a full academic ride. She did not play. Nothing wrong with that and she is currently in her second year of medical school doing extremely well. 

How do define making a living off of golf?  I can tell you that being a good golfer can open doors for you.

I have heard of kids getting job on wall street because they could golf and they end of making the most.

if your a pga pro at a club you can be paid well. Same thing goes for teaching and countless other jobs with equipment makers.

This why a supportive alumni is so important. Play somewhere like USC or Oklahoma and you will have a lot support. 

The only thing that matters is you get what you want out of the school.

• Like 3

Just wondering, do your kids want to go to college TO play golf or go to college AND play golf? Even though my daughter has switched her focus to another sport, I enjoy this board and I suspect that recruiting in most girls’ sports  is similar. At this time (8th grade), she would rather go to a top academic school than play at a “directional” type school. We talk about using lacrosse to help her get into the school of her choice rather than as the determinant of where she goes.

Maybe it is different with lacrosse since it’s a team sport with more scholarships and no (real) opportunity to play professionally after college?

20 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

How do define making a living off of golf?  I can tell you that being a good golfer can open doors for you.

I have heard of kids getting job on wall street because they could golf and they end of making the most.

if your a pga pro at a club you can be paid well. Same thing goes for teaching and countless other jobs with equipment makers.

This why a supportive alumni is so important. Play somewhere like USC or Oklahoma and you will have a lot support. 

The only thing that matters is you get what you want out of the school.

Very few golf professionals make a great living. Can you? Sure, very few make big money doing what they do. Same with other jobs at courses. Jobs with companies are few and far between. As massive as Callaway is they only have 2400 employees total, Taylormade is said to have somewhere around 1300. Those are miniscule numbers in the grand scheme of things. 

If you are banking on getting a good job in the business world based on golf connections you probably spend a fair amount of money buying lottery tickets each week thinking you will hit the "big one" soon. Can it help, of course, but you better not be banking on that over a degree from a top University. 

A supportive alumni is important sure, no one would discount that. That is true for any college choice. One reason I chose the college I went to, not for athletics, I did not play anything, was for my chosen profession there were connections everywhere. However, end of the day your college decision better be based on the following in order.

1) Academic

2) Social

3) Golf

Going to college at an inferior academic institution compared to where you could go based on golf is idiotic, this is not a 5 star going to Alabama to play football situation. Go to play, go to enjoy your time as a collegiate athlete but always remember the primary reason to go to college is get to an education that will propel you the rest of your life so that is where your priorities should be. The reason social is more important is it doesn't matter how good the golf program is, if you are going to be miserable you will not last long. Everything else is white noise. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Very few golf professionals make a great living. Can you? Sure, very few make big money doing what they do. Same with other jobs at courses. Jobs with companies are few and far between. As massive as Callaway is they only have 2400 employees total, Taylormade is said to have somewhere around 1300. Those are miniscule numbers in the grand scheme of things. 

If you are banking on getting a good job in the business world based on golf connections you probably spend a fair amount of money buying lottery tickets each week thinking you will hit the "big one" soon. Can it help, of course, but you better not be banking on that over a degree from a top University. 

A supportive alumni is important sure, no one would discount that. That is true for any college choice. One reason I chose the college I went to, not for athletics, I did not play anything, was for my chosen profession there were connections everywhere. However, end of the day your college decision better be based on the following in order.

1) Academic

2) Social

3) Golf

Going to college at an inferior academic institution compared to where you could go based on golf is idiotic, this is not a 5 star going to Alabama to play football situation. Go to play, go to enjoy your time as a collegiate athlete but always remember the primary reason to go to college is get to an education that will propel you the rest of your life so that is where your priorities should be. The reason social is more important is it doesn't matter how good the golf program is, if you are going to be miserable you will not last long. Everything else is white noise. 

A lot CEO’s and executives like to golf.   A lot business happens on the course at all levels. 

No one wants to sit in a boardroom all day.   So a lot people will go out and golf with their business partners to build relationships. 

I don’t know but playing at a top college for golf means your going to have people want to play with you.  

If your trying to play golf at a college and golf isn’t your number 1 priority then why bother even being on the team. It is far easier to go to college and not be an athlete.

if you play at a decent college that is accredited you will get a degree that is worth something.  

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

A lot CEO’s and executives like to golf.   A lot business happens on the course at all levels. 

No one wants to sit in a boardroom all day.   So a lot people will go out and golf with their business partners to build relationships. 

I don’t know but playing at a top college for golf means your going to have people want to play with you.  

If your trying to play golf at a college and golf isn’t your number 1 priority then why bother even being on the team. It is far easier to go to college and not be an athlete.

if you play at a decent college that is accredited you will get a degree that is worth something.  

Yes, how dare kids go to college and play golf and realize they probably aren't going to make it big on tour, but they still enjoy the game and team aspect and love to compete and get better. It is totally not right for them to be focused on their schoolwork which is what is going to help them out in 4 quick years from now. They should probably throw their clubs out and never play again!

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 1:08 AM, BFD3 said:

Just wondering, do your kids want to go to college TO play golf or go to college AND play golf? Even though my daughter has switched her focus to another sport, I enjoy this board and I suspect that recruiting in most girls’ sports  is similar. At this time (8th grade), she would rather go to a top academic school than play at a “directional” type school. We talk about using lacrosse to help her get into the school of her choice rather than as the determinant of where she goes.

Maybe it is different with lacrosse since it’s a team sport with more scholarships and no (real) opportunity to play professionally after college?

There is less money in Women's Lax than women's golf.

I think the majority of girls going to play sports in any college don't have going professionally on their minds.  Golf specific, I think the majority of girls that have LPGA on their mind do so because of a parent pushing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gsea said:

Here's a thought any school that will flip the bill for the FREE education because there aren't any Tigers dads on this forum.

Tell me what school is giving free education for golf.  Less than 5% of college golfers are getting a free education.  It is more like "Reduced Rates".

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sui generis said:

Scratch in the golf world is nothing much.

Scratch in the business world is: "Peterson, make sure Biff is free next week. We're entertaining customers at Augusta."

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

32 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

There is less money in Women's Lax than women's golf.

I think the majority of girls going to play sports in any college don't have going professionally on their minds.  Golf specific, I think the majority of girls that have LPGA on their mind do so because of a parent pushing.

The girls who think there going to play in the LPGA most of the time just skip college altogether.

It’s a smart move if you can win. The problem is most of them can’t.  It’s just a different game. 

More junior girls dad should aim to emulate Stacy Lewis not Alex Pano. 

33 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Again, you are acting like golf is going to be this magic ticket to success in the private sector. Guess what, if you are an awesome golfer and your degree is from Southwestern Louisiana State Tech and the guy who doesn't play or is a 25 cap has his degree from Vanderbilt or Harvard the guy from Vanderbilt or Harvard is getting the job over your every time. Sure being able to play golf will be a nice little touch but you are placing far to much emphasis on it. Plus, your ability has zero to do with doing business on the course as long as you are playing so your are conflating that issue and putting way to much priority on how much a golf game is going to help you in your private life. Further, that is a non issue since we are talking about kids who can play college level so their game is going to be MORE than enough to suffice for business meetings, even 4 beers in. 

"If your trying to play golf at a college and golf isn't your number 1 priority then why bother even being on the team?"

People are fathers, husbands, and have a job. It is called having multiple priorities Tiger. You can still have absolute dedication to the team but your primary purpose for going to college is to get the degree. I don't know why that idea is so hard for you wrap your brain around. If you take a spot on a team at a college that does not make sense to you academically just to play you are being an idiot. Again, not discounting finding a school that fits you golf wise but your order of priority better be academic fit, social fit, and then golf fit. 

"if you play at a decent college that is accredited you will get a degree that is worth something."

I hate to break this to you but all degrees and all institutions are definitely not created equal. Great example, I taught a kid who went to Vandy for football and turned down Alabama, you know why?

His words: "I can still go to the NFL from Vandy but I can do a lot more with a Vandy degree than I can with a degree from Bama." PS, he is in the NFL but also has his degree from Vandy. Best of both worlds. 

Here in the Bay Area the startup sector could give two ______ about playing golf.  You much better off learning how to play ping pong...

• Like 1

I've done lots of business in golf courses and golf course bars, but it has very little to do with my success (or lack thereof), I just like golf and so I find myself working with other people who like golf. 

Just yesterday I golfed with a young man who we are considering hiring. Nice to get to know someone and see how they behave in the real world. I do that quite a bit, can get a round of golf on the company that way. However, I could not care less how the guy played golf, really only interested in his capability as a technician.

One of my daughters is at a small public college, and she loves it, it is a 5 hour drive from home. 

My middle daughter told me she wants to go to college "As far away from here as possible" so her perfect school must be somewhere in Florida.

My youngest daughter has interest in playing college golf, and her perfect school is somewhere she can "play all year  and not get too hot in the summer time". Size or type of school doesn't matter, her goal is getting to play lots of different golf courses with her team. Geographically this would mean probably the California coast, anywhere south of SLO. She also likes to surf, so SoCal is where she has drawn the biggest circle.

I also believe that if sport is more important than academics when they go to school, they should focus on sports. Take the easiest academic route possible if you are spending a lot of time on your game. There is plenty of time to get an advanced degree, enter a trade program, go into a field, bounce around the service industry etc before you settle into your eventual degree and real job.

I deal with a lot of successful independent business people and most of them did not follow a traditional route. There was always college in there somewhere, but generally buried in a past with a lot of different experiences. Building a massive and varied network is so much more valuable than a degree. Bachelors degrees can be gotten online for most fields without ever once leaving your bedroom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ncalgolf said:

Here in the Bay Area the startup sector could give two ______ about playing golf.  You much better off learning how to play ping pong...

Hate to break it to you but if you work at any large IT services the sales team all belong to country clubs for a reason.

All the sales team who handles large accounts golfs.

37 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Hate to break it to you but if you work at any large IT services the sales team all belong to country clubs for a reason.

All the sales team who handles large accounts golfs.

I have to say I wish I knew what "everybody" and "all" do in this big, diverse world whether in the world of golf or business.  I just don't know everybody, let alone hardly anybody based on sheer numbers in both worlds.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Again, you are acting like golf is going to be this magic ticket to success in the private sector. Guess what, if you are an awesome golfer and your degree is from Southwestern Louisiana State Tech and the guy who doesn't play or is a 25 cap has his degree from Vanderbilt or Harvard the guy from Vanderbilt or Harvard is getting the job over your every time. Sure being able to play golf will be a nice little touch but you are placing far to much emphasis on it. Plus, your ability has zero to do with doing business on the course as long as you are playing so your are conflating that issue and putting way to much priority on how much a golf game is going to help you in your private life. Further, that is a non issue since we are talking about kids who can play college level so their game is going to be MORE than enough to suffice for business meetings, even 4 beers in. 

"If your trying to play golf at a college and golf isn't your number 1 priority then why bother even being on the team?"

People are fathers, husbands, and have a job. It is called having multiple priorities Tiger. You can still have absolute dedication to the team but your primary purpose for going to college is to get the degree. I don't know why that idea is so hard for you wrap your brain around. If you take a spot on a team at a college that does not make sense to you academically just to play you are being an idiot. Again, not discounting finding a school that fits you golf wise but your order of priority better be academic fit, social fit, and then golf fit. 

"if you play at a decent college that is accredited you will get a degree that is worth something."

I hate to break this to you but all degrees and all institutions are definitely not created equal. Great example, I taught a kid who went to Vandy for football and turned down Alabama, you know why?

His words: "I can still go to the NFL from Vandy but I can do a lot more with a Vandy degree than I can with a degree from Bama." PS, he is in the NFL but also has his degree from Vandy. Best of both worlds. 

If you play college golf you can’t flunk out of school and keep playing.  Hard to think a coach wants a kid who isn’t serious about studying and grades matter too.

If you play golf sign with a school and are serious about playing there is no reason your not going to get the degree you wanted.  You pick a school because it makes sense to you. 

you act like people who do college sports are not getting what they want out it.  Pretty much every large scale university in the US gives a good education. Sure some have better programs then Others for certain degrees. The truth is no one gets a bad education either and every school has something they are good at.

a kid chooses a school and at some point takes a leap of faith with the coach and school and hopes everything is going to work out.   

Everyone knows where there at when they they sign up. If your trying to be a medical student with a lot classes then take out loans instead trying to play high level college golf. You have a better time at college.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I have to say I wish I knew what "everybody" and "all" do in this big, diverse world whether in the world of golf or business.  I just don't know everybody, let alone hardly anybody based on sheer numbers in both worlds.

Tiger is infamous for using absolutes "all, never, everyone". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1