What's your Dream school?

jkpgolf

4 hours ago, golfortennis said:

There are two factors involved.  1)Ivies especially, "take care of their own."  Since you have a boatload of Ivy graduates in hiring positions, they tend to favor candidates from their alma mater, maybe moreso than most schools.  2)Having those schools on the resume gets you into the interview room, if not the job, just on the name itself.  That's why the competition to get into those schools is so fierce.  From everything I've heard, they aren't teaching anything secret or overly different at those schools.  It's the network that makes it valuable.  It's a closed loop system.  

You have two kinds of students at the Ivies.  Those who have the grades, and will get financial aid, and those whose are legacy students who shouldn't be there, but a)legacy and b)(and more importantly) parents will pay the full freight so Johnny has Harvard on the resume.   

If someone has played a sport in college they have a leg up on the others interviewing.  To be able to juggle practice, games, and school shows hard work and dedication.  Collegiate Athletes often get the nod over those with the same degree that did not play in college.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

If someone has played a sport in college they have a leg up on the others interviewing.  To be able to juggle practice, games, and school shows hard work and dedication.  Collegiate Athletes often get the nod over those with the same degree that did not play in college.

On the surface I don't disagree, and whether anyone is digging far enough, I highly doubt, but how many of these "degrees" were greased through in order to maintain eligibility?  I know some majors can't be faked, but seems like there are plenty of incentives for schools to keep the athletes flowing through.  I can't help but think the UNC scandal from a few years ago was far from an isolated incident. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikedellgolf said:

I work in financial service so I can only comment on what I experience.

I would argue that the so-called "networking" opportunities need to be established at an early age, even before college, more like at the high school level.  My oldest son attended a very expensive private school in Washington DC, costing about 50k/year, from 6th until 12th grade.  He has a lot of friends from very wealthy families that he is still hanging out with today, some are local and some remote, but one thing for sure, they always hang out during college Spring Break for golf.  That's where "networking" is about.  One of his friends' father is already offering my son an Internship for the summer in finance.  Could my son do better if he attends one of the Ivies? Maybe or maybe not.  My personal experience is that I stop hanging out with my college friends after college graduation but I am still hanging out with my high school friends thirty years after graduation.

As I've said before, you don't have to attend Stanford or Ivies to be successful.  Just focus on your golf game and be a good golfer, good social skill, and with a college degree from University of Virginia or Virginia Tech, you will be just as successful as someone with either a Stanford or Ivies degree, if not more.

YMMV.

UVA is certainly nothing to sneeze at, just saying...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, golfortennis said:

I don't disagree.  I was actually more saying it can be very much a chicken or the egg thing.  The stats supporting the argument can be quite skewed.  

A bit like the argument that point guards in the 80s/90s went to Georgia Tech because the coach could "get them to the NBA."  No, the players were talented enough on their own, and would have gotten there regardless.  

I still say Kenny Anderson is the best college point guard prospect I've ever seen.

But yeah--Price, Anderson, Best, Marbury.  Have mercy...

2 minutes ago, MB19 said:

I still say Kenny Anderson is the best college point guard prospect I've ever seen.

But yeah--Price, Anderson, Best, Marbury.  Have mercy...

Those guys would have gone to the NBA if my grandmother had coached them.  

I'm to young to have really seen him play, but I've heard Pearl Washington would have given Anderson a run for his money on that front.

7 hours ago, golfortennis said:

There are two factors involved.  1)Ivies especially, "take care of their own."  Since you have a boatload of Ivy graduates in hiring positions, they tend to favor candidates from their alma mater, maybe moreso than most schools.  2)Having those schools on the resume gets you into the interview room, if not the job, just on the name itself.  That's why the competition to get into those schools is so fierce.  From everything I've heard, they aren't teaching anything secret or overly different at those schools.  It's the network that makes it valuable.  It's a closed loop system.  

You have two kinds of students at the Ivies.  Those who have the grades, and will get financial aid, and those whose are legacy students who shouldn't be there, but a)legacy and b)(and more importantly) parents will pay the full freight so Johnny has Harvard on the resume.   

You can also throw the service academies in this mix, IMO

23 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

I'm to young to have really seen him play, but I've heard Pearl Washington would have given Anderson a run for his money on that front.

True story.

I was also too young to see Pearl at 'Cuse.  He sure didn't fill Michael Ray Richardson's hole in NJ, though.

1 hour ago, MB19 said:

UVA is certainly nothing to sneeze at, just saying...

UVA, UNC, UCLA and several others can hold their own academically against any school. Those are premier institutions. Personally, I would love for my son to be able to go Tulane, Vanderbilt, or Emory. Stay closeish to home but go to a school that is an elite educational institution. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, golfortennis said:

yes, Anderson would need money these days:  https://www.sportscasting.com/kenny-anderson-made-63-million-in-the-nba-but-found-himself-bankrupt-and-coaching-high-school-basketball/

18 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

UVA, UNC, UCLA and several others can hold their own academically against any school. Those are premier institutions. Personally, I would love for my son to be able to go Tulane, Vanderbilt, or Emory. Stay closeish to home but go to a school that is an elite educational institution. 

Wait, aren't you the one who said that Stanford and Ivies are better than UVA, UNC and UCLA regarding better opportunities?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

yes, Anderson would need money these days:  https://www.sportscasting.com/kenny-anderson-made-63-million-in-the-nba-but-found-himself-bankrupt-and-coaching-high-school-basketball/

Wait, aren't you the one who said that Stanford and Ivies are better than UVA, UNC and UCLA regarding better opportunities?

Nope, I never said specific schools though I did use Ivies as examples so if it seemed I was only meaning them that was not my intent. My point was schools like Ivies or Southern Ivies (UNC, Tulane, UVA, etc) and other high ranking schools like UCLA give you so many more opportunities than going to Southwestern Regional State just because you can play golf there or they have a good program. I would put the opportunities from schools like UNC, UVA, and UCLA up there because those are elite level institutions with reputations and massive connections. 

1 hour ago, mikedellgolf said:

Word is Kenny didn't like to condition/work out, and he definitely paid the price for it by being fragile and having a short prime.  That said, no matter how much money a guy makes he'll blow it if he doesn't use it wisely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Nope, I never said specific schools though I did use Ivies as examples so if it seemed I was only meaning them that was not my intent. My point was schools like Ivies or Southern Ivies (UNC, Tulane, UVA, etc) and other high ranking schools like UCLA give you so many more opportunities than going to Southwestern Regional State just because you can play golf there or they have a good program. I would put the opportunities from schools like UNC, UVA, and UCLA up there because those are elite level institutions with reputations and massive connections. 

Don't wiggle out what you said.   

Edited by tiger1873

39 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

20 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

I am no rankings expert when it comes to colleges, but it seems like there is a marked national prestige gap between these schools vs Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Annapolis and West Point.

Regionally, there is considerable prestige in going to Michigan or Northwestern in the midwest..  Vandy, UF or Stetson/Emory in the South, Rice and Texas in TX/OK/AR/MS and so on.  Sometimes having degrees from places like carry more weight within the region than having a degree from a Ivy/Stanford does.  Obviously, it can vary from occupation-to-occupation and from firm-to-firm.  Of more importance, arguably, is the graduate degree.  Of course, that is a different conversation completely.

While it is easier said than done, getting a kid to focus on what career path they want to target sooner than later can help with this battle.

• Like 2

Clearly, the importance of the name on the diploma depends on your chosen career and where you live. I imagine it helps if you work on wall street or in a big law firm. However, in medicine, where you went to medical school, let alone college, has no bearing on your career, unless you want to stay in academics...if then. I turned down Columbia and Duke for an accelerated program at Penn State. I have partners that went to Stanford, big state schools and small colleges. Where you went to college only comes up when talking bragging rights about sports.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

UNC, UVA and UCLA do not have massive connections.  There are so many government workers here in the DMV area that went to UVA and they are just regular government workabee.  Now if you play golf for UNC, UVA and UCLA, that's completely different.  The golf connections will help you a long way, from alumni boosters and into the corporate world.

Here in the DMV area, you see a lot of Ivies and Stanford graduates who are government GS-13/GS-14 workers, same as graduates who went to University of Phoenix or Devry, LOL...
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

UNC, UVA and UCLA do not have massive connections.  There are so many government workers here in the DMV area that went to UVA and they are just regular government workabee.  Now if you play golf for UNC, UVA and UCLA, that's completely different.  The golf connections will help you a long way, from alumni boosters and into the corporate world.

Here in the DMV area, you see a lot of Ivies and Stanford graduates who are government GS-13/GS-14 workers, same as graduates who went to University of Phoenix or Devry, LOL...

I work private sector but sell into SLED. Those people have it easy (minus the people that have to deal with the general public). 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

21 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Don't wiggle out what you said.   

I am not wiggling out of anything Tiger. Let's examine what I have said in this thread:

"If candidate A is graduating from a top level university and are a 30 capper and candidate B is graduating from a Southwestern Regional Tech University that no one knows about and is a scratch I can guarantee you who is getting the better job."

Top level university not just Ivies

"Going to Stanford, Harvard or Princeton does not guarantee success but it ups your possibilities of success greatly. The Steve Jobs stories of successes are over exaggerated compared to the number of guys who took his path and struggle to make ends meet. Exceptional individual stories should not override what is the best path of success if possible."

Stanford is not an Ivy

"Emory, Tulane, and Vandy are all "Southern Ivies". They exemplify my point of if you have the option to go there versus LSU Georgia or Tennessee and you choose to go elsewhere due to golf you are out of your freaking mind."

Self explanatory

"Again, you are acting like golf is going to be this magic ticket to success in the private sector. Guess what, if you are an awesome golfer and your degree is from Southwestern Louisiana State Tech and the guy who doesn't play or is a 25 cap has his degree from Vanderbilt or Harvard the guy from Vanderbilt or Harvard is getting the job over your every time."

Notice how I kept saying TOP UNIVERSITIES. Tiger I know you struggle with reading comprehension but come on man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, MB19 said:

I am no rankings expert when it comes to colleges, but it seems like there is a marked national prestige gap between these schools vs Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Annapolis and West Point.

Regionally, there is considerable prestige in going to Michigan or Northwestern in the midwest..  Vandy, UF or Stetson/Emory in the South, Rice and Texas in TX/OK/AR/MS and so on.  Sometimes having degrees from places like carry more weight within the region than having a degree from a Ivy/Stanford does.  Obviously, it can vary from occupation-to-occupation and from firm-to-firm.  Of more importance, arguably, is the graduate degree.  Of course, that is a different conversation completely.

While it is easier said than done, getting a kid to focus on what career path they want to target sooner than later can help with this battle.

If you look at the rankings UCLA, UNC, Vandy, and other non Ivies can fight with anyone. Their name recognition is not quite as good for sure but for those who pay attention they are elite institutions. 

14 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

I am not wiggling out of anything Tiger. Let's examine what I have said in this thread:

"If candidate A is graduating from a top level university and are a 30 capper and candidate B is graduating from a Southwestern Regional Tech University that no one knows about and is a scratch I can guarantee you who is getting the better job."

Top level university not just Ivies

"Going to Stanford, Harvard or Princeton does not guarantee success but it ups your possibilities of success greatly. The Steve Jobs stories of successes are over exaggerated compared to the number of guys who took his path and struggle to make ends meet. Exceptional individual stories should not override what is the best path of success if possible."

Stanford is not an Ivy

"Emory, Tulane, and Vandy are all "Southern Ivies". They exemplify my point of if you have the option to go there versus LSU Georgia or Tennessee and you choose to go elsewhere due to golf you are out of your freaking mind."

Self explanatory

"Again, you are acting like golf is going to be this magic ticket to success in the private sector. Guess what, if you are an awesome golfer and your degree is from Southwestern Louisiana State Tech and the guy who doesn't play or is a 25 cap has his degree from Vanderbilt or Harvard the guy from Vanderbilt or Harvard is getting the job over your every time."

Notice how I kept saying TOP UNIVERSITIES. Tiger I know you struggle with reading comprehension but come on man. 

Dude just relax.  All anyone wants to do is go to school and play a little golf along the way.     You are constantly trying to rank schools based on some sort of reputation from a magazine like US News. 

The vast majority of kids doing athletic scholarships benefit from them.    It's not really that hard to comprehend you interview multiple schools and take the best offer that suits you.  

Edited by tiger1873

5 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Dude just relax.  All anyone wants to do is go to school and play a little golf along the way.     You constantly trying to rank schools and that is just simply stupid. 

The vast majority of kids doing athletic scholarships benefit from them.    It's not really that hard to comprehend you interview multiple schools and take the best offer that suits you.  

Tiger I am perfectly relaxed. I just exemplified how you post on here not knowing at all what you are talking about, which is what everyone already knows. 

Ranking schools is not at all stupid, it has huge repercussions in professional prospects. Do you buy a car without looking up rankings? Do you take your wife to a restaurant without checking if it is good or not? Do you buy golf clubs without researching? Not all college degrees are created equal Tiger. 

My point has always been choose the best fit but if you choose Southwestern Tech State because your best fit is focused on playing golf instead of what is best for your overall future you are doing a disservice. 

• Like 1

Just now, BloctonGolf11 said:

Tiger I am perfectly relaxed. I just exemplified how you post on here not knowing at all what you are talking about, which is what everyone already knows. 

Ranking schools is not at all stupid, it has huge repercussions in professional prospects. Do you buy a car without looking up rankings? Do you take your wife to a restaurant without checking if it is good or not? Do you buy golf clubs without researching? Not all college degrees are created equal Tiger. 

My point has always been choose the best fit but if you choose Southwestern Tech State because your best fit is focused on playing golf instead of what is best for your overall future you are doing a disservice. 

You must have lot time on your hands if you are reading all that stuff.  I admit it  I live on the wild side and go to a restaurant without checking reviews.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

This is true if you're assuming all things are equal and the company is just looking at both candidate's resumes.  However, that is NOT how it works in the real world, and I'll give you an example:

My son is applying for a summer internship and I would like to get him an internship where I work but that is NOT possible because the rule states that candidates who apply must be college junior.  Well, I asked a former colleague of mine to hire my son for an internship position where he works because he is a decision maker there while in return I am going to hire his son for an internship where I work.  In other words, there are other better qualified candidates than my son and my former colleague's son but they didn't get the internship.  I think you get the point.

It is not how much you know but who you know.  I can guarantee you that a handicap golfer will have more opportunities to play with senior management than a 30+ handicap.  That's what networking is all about.  A lot of these jobs, even on Wall Street, do not require the person to be the smartest or brightest, most people can do them.

In summary, "candidate B is graduating from a Southwestern Regional Tech University that no one knows about and is a scratch golfer" will get the job over candidate A, just because he knows senior management of the company.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

This is true if you're assuming all things are equal and the company is just looking at both candidate's resumes.  However, that is NOT how it works in the real world, and I'll give you an example:

My son is applying for a summer internship and I would like to get him an internship where I work but that is NOT possible because the rule states that candidates who apply must be college junior.  Well, I asked a former colleague of mine to hire my son for an internship position where he works because he is a decision maker there while in return I am going to hire his son for an internship where I work.  In other words, there are other better qualified candidates than my son and my former colleague's son but they didn't get the internship.  I think you get the point.

It is not how much you know but who you know.  I can guarantee you that a handicap golfer will have more opportunities to play with senior management than a 30+ handicap.  That's what networking is all about.  A lot of these jobs, even on Wall Street, do not require the person to be the smartest or brightest, most people can do them.

In summary, "candidate B is graduating from a Southwestern Regional Tech University that no one knows about and is a scratch golfer" will get the job over candidate A, just because he knows senior management of the company.

I am not lessening the importance of the who you know and that is important. However, a lot of those soft skills and connections are important once you are in the door. Do you realize how many doors a business degree from Harvard Vanderbilt or Stanford open up? A degree from those institutions is a golden ticket to bust through doors that you don't have connections for. I am not at all lessening the importance of those connections but why not look at giving yourself the best possible advantages by going to the best possible school you can?

Edited by BloctonGolf11

4 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

You must have lot time on your hands if you are reading all that stuff.  I admit it  I live on the wild side and go to a restaurant without checking reviews.  

It is called being a diligent and responsible parent. Going to a restaurant without reading a review is "wild side" disregarding the reputation and value of your child's college choice is reckless irresponsible and honestly disturbing. Hope your kids enjoy their subpar education because some coach sweet talks you about the golf program. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

I am not lessening the importance of the who you know and that is important. However, a lot of those soft skills and connections are important once you are in the door. Do you realize how many doors a business degree from Harvard Vanderbilt or Stanford open up? A degree from those institutions is a golden ticket to bust through doors that you don't have connections for. I am not at all lessening the importance of those connections but why not look at giving yourself the best possible advantages by going to the best possible school you can?

You're thinking the same way of a typical Asian person.

Because not everyone can afford Harvard or Stanford.  Again, you develop those soft skills on the golf course because you are going to run into important people there.  You only need to succeed one time and fail 99 times.  Now if you are accepted into Stanford and Harvard and have what it takes to make it, you should go but remember that everything comes with a price.

Edited by mikedellgolf
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

You're thinking the same way of a typical Asian person.

Because not everyone can afford Harvard or Stanford.  Again, you develop those soft skills on the golf course because you are going to run into important people there.  You only need to succeed one time and fail 99 times.  Now if you are accepted into Stanford and Harvard and have what it takes to make it, you should go but remember that everything comes with a price.

"Typical Asian person"

Can we skip the racial stereotyping please? You seem like an intelligent guy (unlike someone else in this thread), I have enjoyed talking with you, but that is really disgusting.

I think we are looking at this basically the same with just some minor nuance differences. Go to the best school end of story. Those saying school doesn't matter I feel sorry for their kids. I am definitely not saying you have to go to a Stanford, Harvard, etc to be successful. Numerous examples of people who did from other paths; however, it makes the path a whole lot easier and opens up doors and routes that other schools just sadly do not.  We both view both school and connections as important just have an inverse view of them which is fine, different outlooks. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

"Typical Asian person"

Can we skip the racial stereotyping please? You seem like an intelligent guy (unlike someone else in this thread), I have enjoyed talking with you, but that is really disgusting.

I think we are looking at this basically the same with just some minor nuance differences. Go to the best school end of story. Those saying school doesn't matter I feel sorry for their kids. I am definitely not saying you have to go to a Stanford, Harvard, etc to be successful. Numerous examples of people who did from other paths; however, it makes the path a whole lot easier and opens up doors and routes that other schools just sadly do not. 

I told my son: you choose the best college or university that fits you and your lifestyle.  There is nothing wrong with going to Stanford or Ivies if that is what you want.  However, you have to accept the fact that at those institutions, you will not have time to do other things that you want to do like playing golf everyday, practicing your guitar or piano two hours everyday, playing tennis, arts, ballroom dancing, dating, etc... Are you willing to give up those to attend Stanford or Ivies should you get accepted?  If you're not willing to give up or curtail those things, Stanford, Ivies, UVA, Tulane are not the school for you.  You should go to a local university here and transfer to UVA after two years through the Virginia Guarantee Admission Program (GAP).  My son took my advice and attended a local university.  He will be at UVA as a junior transfer in Fall '22.  

My nephew is also the same age as my son, got accepted into Harvard and is currently a sophomore.  He studies all his life and is a very good student but that's all he knows, he doesn't do anything other than studying.  I personally don't think that is a good thing.  Another nephew got accepted to Naval Academy and he is a very excellent student with no other skills.  That's ok because that's what he wants.  

I think my son will be a much more well rounded person in the long run than his cousins but that's my personal opinion.

At the end of the day, you do what is right for you and not for anyone else.  There is more than one path to success and everyone is different.  

• Like 1

My view from working in the financial service industry is that connections are so much more than the university you attended.  I've seen qualified candidates with Ivies degrees get rejected over candidates from UVA, U of Miami because those guys have "inside" connections with senior management on the golf course.  That's why I am telling my son to play golf well, improve communication and soft skills so that he will be ready when the time comes.  

I also learned recently that while mid level managers do care about Stanford and Ivies, senior management people do not.  What they do care about is 1) you're a hard worker and someone they can trust and 2) you have a good golf game that you can play with them.  In honesty, the job can be done by someone who graduates from University of Phoenix.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

This happens every day, and it has nothing to do with golf.

In your example, candidate B gets the job regardless of if he/she even plays golf.

The original premise of this discussion (pages back) was the suggestion that the Ivies are over-rated academically, and if given a binary option, would you send your kid to Southwest Tech on golf scholarship, or, send your kid to an Ivy with no scholarship?  In my opinion, the networking, education, and door-opening at an Ivy are much more powerful than "hoping" someone in Senior Management graduated from Southwest Tech.  The golf element is a wash b/c a Scratch golfer is going to have the golf skill-set graduating from either institution.

If you want to get into a 'who you know' discussion, that's OK, so long as it's mutually understood that the pool of ultra-successful graduates is larger for the Ivies than that of Southwest Tech.  The baseline of graduates coming out of HYSP are typically accepting very different offer letters than the baseline graduates from Southwest Tech.  If we don't agree here as a baseline, we'll likely continue to disagree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

I am not in this argument nor do I want to be.  I know a lot of people that are bad at their job, but always seem to have a job.  With a company for 2-3 years then off to another company.  Their connections always seem to keep them working and making a steady income more than their work ethic or degree.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.