2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What's your Dream school?

jkpgolf

14 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Great answer and spot on. People keep talking about producing and making connections with upper management. Can't make those connections and can't produce if you can't get your foot in the door and the better the school the better ability you have to bust open the door. 

Lord knows the debt issue is huge as well. Why you need to focus on academic scholarships that are so lucrative and more of a guarantee than athletic.

I generally with what you said above BUT the ability of bursting the door open only if one knows how to use it.  In other words, you make "connections" at Stanford and that's how the door is burst open.  Unfortunately 99% of the people are incapable of doing it.

The debt is a huge issue.  I make enough so that my kids are not qualified for Financial Aid but not wealthy enough spend 320K per kids to attend 80k/year universities 😂

6 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

I generally with what you said above BUT the ability of bursting the door open only if one knows how to use it.  In other words, you make "connections" at Stanford and that's how the door is burst open.  Unfortunately 99% of the people are incapable of doing it.

The debt is a huge issue.  I make enough so that my kids are not qualified for Financial Aid but not wealthy enough spend 320K per kids to attend 80k/year universities 😂

We are very much middle class, teacher married to a teacher. My kids know these are their three options.

No scholarships: Enjoy community college and go from there.

Some scholarships: Enjoy an instate four year and living at home.

Major scholarships: Lots of options.

Nothing wrong with any of those three options but each level opens up more doors and more opportunities. Thankfully, we focus on academics above all else so they should be good but you never know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

We are going to have about 50k per kid to play with for their college and people always look at me like that isn't enough. That is plenty because that is on top of scholarships and if they don't get scholarships they can enjoy CC/local 4 year and live at home. I have always had the mindset if the kid didn't do enough in HS to get scholarships I am not going to drop huge amounts of money or allow them go massively into debt for college. Doesn't make sense. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

We are very much middle class, teacher married to a teacher. My kids know these are their three options.

No scholarships: Enjoy community college and go from there.

Some scholarships: Enjoy an instate four year and living at home.

Major scholarships: Lots of options.

Nothing wrong with any of those three options but each level opens up more doors and more opportunities. Thankfully, we focus on academics above all else so they should be good but you never know. 

Option 4: Teach them No-Limit Texas Hold'em and head to Vegas with the college money. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

If your kid has academic reach, you will probably not or should not pay retail tuition. We approached it that if they did not get offered Presidential scholarship discount , it's a no. My athlete, pays retail because a) it's D2, free rides are not thrown around a lot, b) it's not very expensive in the 1st place. But my two girls got significant tuition packages because they had solid academics and the schools wanted them. Good grades save big bucks. They have some debt but it's not crushing.

• Like 3

I just had a zoom meeting with one of the Executive VPs of the company, and I saw a lot of golf activities in his zoom background.  I asked him if he played golf regularly and his response: 

I graduated with a degree in marketing and communication from University of Northern Illinois and was unemployed after graduation, so I worked at a golf CC while looking for a real job.  I was also a golf walk-on at University of Northern Illinois.  I got to play golf for reduce rate there, and one day a group was a man short so they asked me if I could join them in a group of two for best ball.  During the match, they found out that I was a good golfer with a college degree but was looking for real employment.  One the gentlemen in the group was a CEO of an investment company and he asked me to come in for an interview for a position in PR at his company.  The company offered the position and I got to play golf to play with senior level people, so my career took off from there. 

His takeaway:  Lot of good things happen on the golf course. 😉

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:09 AM, mikedellgolf said:

I hope you're not a doctor.  People with high GPA in medical school have options to choose the medical specialties.  Try to get into dermatology or Neural Surgery if you finish last in medical school.

If you want to graduate with a 2.0 GPA, then go ahead and do not study hard.

I'm pretty sure I know more about the medical field than you ever will.

Working hard and doing well are not necessarily correlated. I personally had TERRIBLE study habits in HS, college and medical school. I still started medical school at 19 years old. Then I matched in my specialty of choice at an Ivy League institution when I graduated 30 years ago. I switched specialties and switched to another Ivy League hospital. Now I practice with partners from a wide range of universities, medical schools and training programs.  So I agree with your assertion that where you go isn't critical but students at elite colleges do not have to work harder than kids at less prestigious schools.

Since you're a fan of anecdotal evidence, I had friends play varsity sports at Harvard (football) and Cornell (lacrosse and wrestling). The guy at Cornell played both and went to med school. My brother went to Rutgers and quit lacrosse after his freshman year to focus on academics in order to get into medical school and he still ended up going to a foreign school. None of the three spent "all their time studying" or had issues "making connections." How hard a kid chooses to work on his studies in college is more dependent on the kid than the school.

2 hours ago, BFD3 said:

I'm pretty sure I know more about the medical field than you ever will.

Working hard and doing well are not necessarily correlated. I personally had TERRIBLE study habits in HS, college and medical school. I still started medical school at 19 years old. Then I matched in my specialty of choice at an Ivy League institution when I graduated 30 years ago. I switched specialties and switched to another Ivy League hospital. Now I practice with partners from a wide range of universities, medical schools and training programs.  So I agree with your assertion that where you go isn't critical but students at elite colleges do not have to work harder than kids at less prestigious schools.

Since you're a fan of anecdotal evidence, I had friends play varsity sports at Harvard (football) and Cornell (lacrosse and wrestling). The guy at Cornell played both and went to med school. My brother went to Rutgers and quit lacrosse after his freshman year to focus on academics in order to get into medical school and he still ended up going to a foreign school. None of the three spent "all their time studying" or had issues "making connections." How hard a kid chooses to work on his studies in college is more dependent on the kid than the school.

There's really no room in here for well thought out, rational responses.  This is the thread where absolutes and life changing binary decisions reign.

By the way, have I told you about my buddy that went to Northern Illinois?  Evidently kids are transferring from Yale to try to make it on his contact list...then putting all hopes and prayers that they'll get to play golf with him some day. You know, because connections and stuff.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jj9000 said:

There's really no room in here for well thought out, rational responses.  This is the thread where absolutes and life changing binary decisions reign.

By the way, have I told you about my buddy that went to Northern Illinois?  Evidently kids are transferring from Yale to try to make it on his contact list...then putting all hopes and prayers that they'll get to play golf with him some day. You know, because connections and stuff.

LOL… Nobody is suggesting that one should go to college just for golf.

If I must choose between University of Virginia in-state tuition and play golf as a walk-on vs. attending Stanford or Ivies full pay, the choice is quite clear.  I’ll go with UVA.

3 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

LOL… Nobody is suggesting that one should go to college just for golf.

If I must choose between University of Virginia in-state tuition and play golf as a walk-on vs. attending Stanford or Ivies full pay, the choice is quite clear.  I’ll go with UVA.

And you would be absolutely correct because UVA is a top tier school, the original proposition many of us were making is going to a Top school for academics vs playing golf at a regional directional school just because you can. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

And you would be absolutely correct because UVA is a top tier school, the original proposition many of us were making is going to a Top school for academics vs playing golf at a regional directional school just because you can. 

There are so many good universities here in Virginia.  For example, University of Virginia, Virginia Tech University, James Madison University, George Mason University, Christopher Newport, Old Dominion University, Virginia Commonwealth University.  Each of those universities is unique.  For example, George Mason is very strong in technology especially in Cybersecurity.  Graduates from GMU with cybersecurity degree can make lot of money.  UVA is very strong in law, medicine, and political science.  Virginia Tech is very strong in engineering.  JMU is very strong in partying, LOL… Kidding aside, JMU is very strong in art and political science.  The list goes on.

All of them have the golf team.  You can play golf there and still get a very good education.  The in-state tuition is very affordable that you don’t need to be on scholarship 😀.

• Like 1

College doesn't teach time management.  In the business world it is often the case that someone playing a sport for a Public University will get a job over someone with a fancy degree from a Duke, Emory, or Stanford that did not play a sport.  Why?  The kids playing sports in school have time management.  I won't say what one of my in laws does or who she works for, but they are in a powerful position.  Has often said that some of the dumbest people they hire with the worst work ethics are the the ones from fancy universities.  

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

The only issue i see is some people care more about the scholarships they may get.  There is not much thought about why there kid actually play golf in tbe first place. 

You don’t need to be a college team to turn pro or even keep playing competitive golf beyond junior golf. 

your kid should be playing golf because they want to.  Trying to use it to get into a certain school is stupid and waste of time. Easier ways go pay for school and  have more freedom.

if you kid likes golf plays well and gets an offer that makes sense at a school that give them a worthwhile degree all the better.

That to me seems like a no brainer to accept.

Edited by tiger1873

13 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

The only issue i see is some people care more about the scholarships they may get.  There is not much thought about why there kid actually play golf in tbe first place. 

You don’t need to be a college team to turn pro or even keep playing competitive golf beyond junior golf. 

your kid should be playing golf because they want to.  Trying to use it to get into a certain school is stupid and waste of time. Easier ways go pay for school and  have more freedom.

if you kid likes golf plays well and gets an offer that makes sense at a school that give them a worthwhile degree all the better.

That to me seems like a no brainer to accept.

I was watching the Elite 8 basketball game between UNC and Saint. Peters University which UNC won.  Prior to the game, I'd never even heard of Saint Peters University.  

Given a choice of attending Saint Peters on a full golf scholarship (let assume that St. Peters does have a golf team) vs. attending UVA or UNC with in-state tuition and a chance to play golf as a walk-on, I would have my child go to either UVA or UNC, and it is not even a close call.

No offense to Saint Peters but there is no way I am going to turn down UVA or UNC with the chance to join the golf team as a walk-on.  The tuition, room & board at both UVA and UNC is quite affordable for my situation. I don't need any scholarships but your situation might be different.  

1 hour ago, mikedellgolf said:

I was watching the Elite 8 basketball game between UNC and Saint. Peters University which UNC won.  Prior to the game, I'd never even heard of Saint Peters University.  

Given a choice of attending Saint Peters on a full golf scholarship (let assume that St. Peters does have a golf team) vs. attending UVA or UNC with in-state tuition and a chance to play golf as a walk-on, I would have my child go to either UVA or UNC, and it is not even a close call.

No offense to Saint Peters but there is no way I am going to turn down UVA or UNC with the chance to join the golf team as a walk-on.  The tuition, room & board at both UVA and UNC is quite affordable for my situation. I don't need any scholarships but your situation might be different.  

I wouldn't go toe UVA or UNC as a walk-on.  Why would anyone want to walk-on a team knowing that you will never play?  If you are good enough to walk-on at either of those schools you are good enough to play D2 or D3 golf at an institution as good as those two academically.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, heavy_hitter said:

I wouldn't go toe UVA or UNC as a walk-on.  Why would anyone want to walk-on a team knowing that you will never play?  If you are good enough to walk-on at either of those schools you are good enough to play D2 or D3 golf at an institution as good as those two academically.

You have to balance out the cost of attending a D2 or D3 schools versus in-state at UNC or UVA.  For example, it costs 24.5K/year for UNC and about 30K/year for UVA in-state vs. 80K/year for Amherst or Williams.  

Unless I pay 30K/year at Amherst or Williams (if they get some merit aid), there is no way I am going to let my kid attend either of those schools.  I call it financial responsibility.  I am not going to send them to Amherst or Williams for 80k/year just to play golf when the education at UVA or UNC is just as good as Williams or Amherst, at a lot less.

5 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

You have to balance out the cost of attending a D2 or D3 schools versus in-state at UNC or UVA.  For example, it costs 24.5K/year for UNC and about 30K/year for UVA in-state vs. 80K/year for Amherst or Williams.  

Unless I pay 30K/year at Amherst or Williams (if they get some merit aid), there is no way I am going to let my kid attend either of those schools.  I call it financial responsibility.  I am not going to send them to Amherst or Williams for 80k/year just to play golf when the education at UVA or UNC is just as good as Williams or Amherst, at a lot less.

At a D3 you can get Academic money if playing a sport.  Generally those kids are going to be paying very close to what in-State tuition is going to cost.

4 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

At a D3 you can get Academic money if playing a sport.  Generally those kids are going to be paying very close to what in-State tuition is going to cost.

Unfortunately, that didn't work in my situation.  Both my son and daughter looked at the financial packages and they got about 5K of scholarship on a near 80K/year cost.  That's why they are attending in-state universities.  Son will transfer to UVA in September '22.  Daughter is looking to transfer to UVA in '23.

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Maverick was a walk on at Stanford. Tied for most wins at Stanford with Woods and Rodgers.  

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, leezer99 said:

Maverick was a walk on at Stanford. Tied for most wins at Stanford with Woods and Rodgers.  

That is the exception, not the rule.  Most of the kids walking on aren't playing.  Brooks had books paid for at FSU.

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

That is the exception, not the rule.  Most of the kids walking on aren't playing.  Brooks had books paid for at FSU.

Maverick is the exception to everything.  His family is loaded.  His father, Scott, was formerly CEO of Sun microsystems and he was also CEO of other companies.  Maverick could have been a future CEO if he wanted to instead of playing golf.

• Like 2