What's your Dream school?

jkpgolf

On 1/18/2022 at 9:38 AM, tiger1873 said:

Getting a degree from a school like Harvard or Stanford is over rated there not something I would automatically sign up for if accepted.  A lot good public state schools exist and may actually give you a better education.

How on earth did I miss this?

I have a serious question. Did you go to College and/or get a Degree here in the US?  If not, it's not a knock on you (or anyone else for that matter)...College is only one of many paths to success.

However, I get the feeling that many of your broad generalizations are due to lack of living the College life.  I could be mistaken, but that's how I read it.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jj9000 said:

I have a serious question. Did you go to College and/or get a Degree here in the US?  If not, it's not a knock on you (or anyone else for that matter)...College is only one of many paths to success.

However, I get the feeling that many of your broad generalizations are due to lack of living the College life.  I could be mistaken, but that's how I read it.

matthew bingo GIF

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jj9000 said:

College is such a great time to find out who you are.  I went to a fairly large UC school and the diversity is what really hit me in the face when I got there.  Wouldn't change a minute of it.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:51 PM, jj9000 said:

I know that students often have little time for student life because they are overwhelmed with assignments, training, or temporary work. In such cases, I recommend trying to use https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/human-trafficking/ to perform some tasks with the help of professional writers who quickly analyze any topic and write meaningful work. This will allow many students to have more time for themselves and their leisure time.

I believe that college is a standard option for a young person's development, where they can try many things and choose something interesting for themselves + find many cool acquaintances that can last for many years. If you have not decided 100% what to do instead of college, it is better to go there anyway!

Edited by nikita.long2

On 1/27/2022 at 4:55 AM, nikita.long2 said:

I believe that college is a standard option for a young person's development, where they can try many things and choose something interesting for themselves + find many cool acquaintances that can last for many years. If you have not decided 100% what to do instead of college, it is better to go there anyway!

I couldn't disagree with you more.

College is great for students who are serious about their studies, but it can be toxic for those who either don't want to be there and a rabbit hole for those searching to belong to something to fill the void left by no longer playing HS sports.  Trade/vocational schools and military service are solid options for these types of kids.  There is no one perfect solution for every kid graduating high school.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Previously, I heard about such schools, but never delved into the question, but as it turned out, the topic is interesting, from the discussion I learned a lot of new things for myself. I think a balance needs to be found, but remember that you can learn online and catch up, therefore, the golf program can be confidently tried to master. And if it is difficult to keep up with doing homework, then it is better to seek help from written services. I recommend you a useful source https://essayreviewexpert.com/review/papersowl/ where you can read about PapersOwl writing service which is in great demand among students when doing research papers, in this material you will find all the most relevant information about this company, try it out.
It is better to live near the house, but if you want to develop independence, responsibility and preparation for adulthood in a child, then you can try and live outside the home if such opportunities are provided or look for options if you wish.

Edited by MichaelBorthwick

13 hours ago, mojomover said:

Dream School for us.... The parents: Stanford, we live like 10mins away and use their driving range/practice facilities 3-4 times a week 🤣 

9yr old kid: Found out about Deion Sanders and wants to play on the PGA tour during the day...and for the Warriors during the night

Curry's dream for sure.

• Haha 1

I have a 20 years old son and a 19 years old daughter.  My daughter got accepted into UCLA and son got accepted into Wake Forest but they both decided to stay at home and attended local university to be closed to mom and dad.    Everyone is different and there is more than one path to success.  My CEO attended Northern Illinois University and he has people graduate from Stanford, Havard, Princeton report to him.  Steve Jobs went to Reed college, Larry Ellison dropped out from University of Illinois, and the list goes on.

I encourage everyone to read the book "the road less traveled".  Going to Stanford, Havard, Princeton does not guarantee success.  It is what you make of it.  The beautiful thing about America is that you don't have to copy anyone to be successful, just follow your own path.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikedellgolf said:

I have a 20 years old son and a 19 years old daughter.  My daughter got accepted into UCLA and son got accepted into Wake Forest but they both decided to stay at home and attended local university to be closed to mom and dad.    Everyone is different and there is more than one path to success.  My CEO attended Northern Illinois University and he has people graduate from Stanford, Havard, Princeton report to him.  Steve Jobs went to Reed college, Larry Ellison dropped out from University of Illinois, and the list goes on.

I encourage everyone to read the book "the road less traveled".  Going to Stanford, Havard, Princeton does not guarantee success.  It is what you make of it.  The beautiful thing about America is that you don't have to copy anyone to be successful, just follow your own path.

Going to Stanford, Harvard or Princeton does not guarantee success but it ups your possibilities of success greatly. The Steve Jobs stories of successes are over exaggerated compared to the number of guys who took his path and struggle to make ends meet. Exceptional individual stories should not override what is the best path of success if possible. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mikedellgolf said:

I work for a financial service company and there are many EVPs, SVPs who graduated from state universities and people who attended Havard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford (HYPS) have to report to them.  I graduated from the University of Virginia and I have to report to my boss who graduated from University of Phoenix.   All I am saying is that there are many paths to success.  That's the beauty of America.  

I've always said to my kids that where you attend school will not determine your future.  Your "soft skills" are 100 times more important than the university you attend.   The CEO of Goldman Sach went to a university that nobody had ever heard of, and now people who attended HYPS have to report him. 

As a matter of fact, I can say this with a high degree of confidence that your golf game will get you further in the corporate world than the university you attended.

For a long time, UCSB (yes, the party school) had the top earners 5-10 years post graduation of all the UC schools.  Many attributed it not only to the excellent education but also to the interpersonal skills learned from being a party school.  

Edited by leezer99
  • Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Some of these replies are crazy... playing golf at a D1 school is work. My daughter played at a D1 school, the team was ranked in the top fifty two of her four years.  The team was also ranked in the top 15 academically... yes they track GPA and rank teams that way. 

My daughter knew all along it was a transactional relationship... less the 2% make it as a pro... below was her routine.

- 6 days a week they were working out either in the gym or with the football players on the indoor field at 0530 am.

- All classes had to be done by noon so they could be on the course week day afternoon.  juniors and seniors could take classes at night.

- Freshmen and Sophs were in mandatory study hall Mon - Thurs from 6:00pm till 9:00pm.

- All players had to sit in the front row of their classes.

- All social media accounts were monitored by the compliance office.

- Funniest rule was the "No red solo cup rule"... they could not post any pics on social media that had a red solo cup in them. 

She picked her school out of the 6 offers received based on the degree she wanted and the portion of the scholly offered... very few players on on a full athletic ride in college golf. 

Edited by Skydiver22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

3 hours ago, mikedellgolf said:

Props to you and your son for fading the insane tuition at WF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skydiver22 said:

Some of these replies are crazy... playing golf at a D1 school is work. My daughter played at a D1 school, the team was ranked in the top fifty two of her four years.  The team was also ranked in the top 15 academically... yes they track GPA and rank teams that way. 

My daughter knew all along it was a transactional relationship... less the 2% make it as a pro... below was her routine.

- 6 days a week they were working out either in the gym or with the football players on the indoor field at 0530 am.

- All classes had to be done by noon so they could be on the course week day afternoon.  juniors and seniors could take classes at night.

- Freshmen and Sophs were in mandatory study hall Mon - Thurs from 6:00pm till 9:00pm.

- All players had to sit in the front row of their classes.

- All social media accounts were monitored by the compliance office.

- Funniest rule was the "No red solo cup rule"... they could not post any pics on social media that had a red solo cup in them. 

She picked her school out of the 6 offers received based on the degree she wanted and the portion of the scholly offered... very few players on on a full athletic ride in college golf. 

Mandatory study halls are a great idea for 18 and 19 yo students, IMO.  I really missed the built-in discipline you had to have as a student-athlete when I went to college and became just a student.  None of these things seem egregious to me, but compared to the normal student it is a fierce gauntlet.

My wife has said to me a number of times that the only athlete she had respect for in college was Tim Duncan, because he always came to class and he always sat up front in the classes they were in together.  Randolph Childress was also in one of their shared classes together, and let's just say he didn't have Duncan's academic drive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mikedellgolf said:

As a matter of fact, I can say this with a high degree of confidence that your golf game will get you further in the corporate world than the university you attended.

That is a clown comment 100%. 

If candidate A is graduating from a top level university and are a 30 capper and candidate B is graduating from a Southwestern Regional Tech University that no one knows about and is a scratch I can guarantee you who is getting the better job. Soft skills are important but go look at average earnings of people graduating from Ivy leagues or top tier schools versus other schools. Yes there are exceptions but statistically your school has a larger chance of affecting your earning power than other metrics. You keep using individual anecdotals, look at the whole picture. Your school choice does not determine your future but wow does it make a huge impact and in many cases gives you a giant head start.

Also, as we move further and further into the digital and tech age the "golf for business" mantra gets more and more outdated.  This isn't the world of Mad Men now. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

If candidate A is graduating from a top level university and are a 30 capper and candidate B is graduating from a Southwestern Regional Tech University that no one knows about and is a scratch I can guarantee you who is getting the better job. Soft skills are important but go look at average earnings of people graduating from Ivy leagues or top tier schools versus other schools. Yes there are exceptions but statistically your school has a larger chance of affecting your earning power than other metrics. You keep using individual anecdotals, look at the whole picture. Your school choice does not determine your future but wow does it make a huge impact and in many cases gives you a giant head start.

Also, as we move further and further into the digital and tech age the "golf for business" mantra gets more and more outdated.  This isn't the world of Mad Men now. 

My daughter interviewed for one of the top Financial Institutions in the World.  Executive flew in from Chicago to interview 4 people.  Her interview lasted an hour and the only thing they talked about is golf.  She left the interview and 10 minutes later HR contacted her that she had the job.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

2 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

My daughter interviewed for one of the top Financial Institutions in the World.  Executive flew in from Chicago to interview 4 people.  Her interview lasted an hour and the only thing they talked about is golf.  She left the interview and 10 minutes later HR contacted her that she had the job.

That is great, statistically hitting the better university is going to benefit you more. The average post graduate earnings tell that story. This isn't complicated. Golf can still help in the business world but it is not the primary tool it used to be. How much time has your daughter spent on the golf course doing business since being hired?

Your thinking is very much a typical Asians way of thinking.  Just about every asians in the DMV wants their kids to attend HYPS, U. of Chicago, Berkeley, etc...

I was born and raised in Vietnam and the typical Asian mentality is Havard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford (HYPS) or your life is over.  Because of that, many of my cousins attended HYPS not because of what they want but because of what mom and and wanted.  They could have attended University of Virginia and their lives would have been the same regardless.

I've always said to my son and daughter that the universities you attend have very little to do with your future success.  It is your interpersonal skills, hard work, determination, and a little luck that will determine your future success. If you attend Stanford, there is a likelihood that you will have to give up certain things in your life because Stanford is no joke.  For example, my son is a concert pianist, guitarist, saxophone player, on top of being a very good golfer and tennis player (D3 recruit tennis).  My daughter also has the same profile.  There is no way that they will be able to keep up with all the hobbies listed above should they get accepted into Stanford.  

The people you mentioned above that attended HYPS, they would have been successful regardless of HYPS.  

I get invited to golf outing events once a month by tech vendors like Cisco Systems, PaloAlto networks, Juniper networks, Checkpoint, Imperva, etc.... and the list goes on.  At those places, you get to meet CIO, CTO, CFO and COOs and play golf with them.  If your golf game is good, those guys will invite you back and play with them, and if you have the "soft skills", that's where connections will be made.  My son and daughter go to these events every month so that they can establish relationships today that will help them after college graduation.  Where you attend college doesn't matter at that point.
  • Like 1

Just now, mikedellgolf said:

Your thinking is very much a typical Asians way of thinking.  Just about every asians in the DMV wants their kids to attend HYPS, U. of Chicago, Berkeley, etc...

I was born and raised in Vietnam and the typical Asian mentality is Havard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford (HYPS) or your life is over.  Because of that, many of my cousins attended HYPS not because of what they want but because of what mom and and wanted.  They could have attended University of Virginia and their lives would have been the same regardless.

I've always said to my son and daughter that the universities you attend have very little to do with your future success.  It is your interpersonal skills, hard work, determination, and a little luck that will determine your future success. If you attend Stanford, there is a likelihood that you will have to give up certain things in your life because Stanford is no joke.  For example, my son is a concert pianist, guitarist, saxophone player, on top of being a very good golfer and tennis player (D3 recruit tennis).  My daughter also has the same profile.  There is no way that they will be able to keep up with all the hobbies listed above should they get accepted into Stanford.  

The people you mentioned above that attended HYPS, they would have been successful regardless of HYPS.  

I get invited to golf outing events once a month by tech vendors like Cisco Systems, PaloAlto networks, Juniper networks, Checkpoint, Imperva, etc.... and the list goes on.  At those places, you get to meet CIO, CTO, CFO and COOs and play golf with them.  If your golf game is good, those guys will invite you back and play with them, and if you have the "soft skills", that's where connections will be made.  My son and daughter go to these events every month so that they can establish relationships today that will help them after college graduation.  Where you attend college doesn't matter at that point.

Again not lessening the importance of soft skills or connections but the primary predictor of success is still overall the quality of institution you attended and the post graduate earnings statistics flesh that out in very black and white terms. The better schools have better overall average earnings because not only do they prepare better but you also have the superior connections and the networks set up. The soft skills, golf, and other things are great tools but there is a reason those schools are at the top and help you get into the best law schools, med schools, MBA programs etc. 

25 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Completely false.  This is the email I received from PaloAlto networks, a leader in security technology, for an upcoming golf outing:

Good Afternoon

You are cordially invited to this Springs Palo Alto Networks Golf outing on XXXX  2022. The format will be a shotgun start @ 0930 with registration opening @ 0830. We'll be selling mulligans to benefit a local charity for the first time, so please come out to support a good cause!

We'll have food & drink provided in a socially distant format. It will be shotgun start @ 10 am EST. If you do not golf come & hang out with the team!

We look forward to seeing you on the course!

"golf for business" is still alive and well, just saying.

Just now, mikedellgolf said:

Completely false.  This is the email I received from PaloAlto networks, a leader in security technology, for an upcoming golf outing:

Good Afternoon

You are cordially invited to this Springs Palo Alto Networks Golf outing on XXXX  2022. The format will be a shotgun start @ 0930 with registration opening @ 0830. We'll be selling mulligans to benefit a local charity for the first time, so please come out to support a good cause!

We'll have food & drink provided in a socially distant format. It will be shotgun start @ 10 am EST. If you do not golf come & hang out with the team!

We look forward to seeing you on the course!

"golf for business" is still alive and well, just saying.

Taking my comment out of context. It is still alive but it is no where what it used to be. Up until the 80s or 90s you better as hades be a competent golfer to be in business in any what shape or form. Now it is not the necessity. It is nice but it is not the make or break anymore.

Taking my comment out of context. It is still alive but it is no where what it used to be. Up until the 80s or 90s you better as hades be a competent golfer to be in business in any what shape or form. Now it is not the necessity. It is nice but it is not the make or break anymore.

It is still important in the sense that you don't have to be a scratch golfer but it definitely helps you're a good golfer.  My son and daughter said that they had heard those comments directly from CIO, CTO, CFO, COO at those events.  My son and daughter got invited by those people to play with them at their private CCs.  Nobody wants to play with bad golfers.

Your comment about "but the primary predictor of success is still overall the quality of institution you attended and the post graduate earnings statistics flesh that out in very black and white terms." is very misleading.  The people that attend HYPS would have done well, regardless of the school.  HYPS definitely provides better networking opportunities, if one knows how to take advantage of it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikedellgolf said:

The people that attend HYPS would have done well, regardless of the school.  HYPS definitely provides better networking opportunities, if one knows how to take advantage of it.

Funny how talented people tend to do well as long as their work ethic checks out.  

It's crazy how man successful businessmen, accountants and lawyers have had wild success playing high-stakes (not necessarily nosebleed-level, but some there too) poker tournaments.  I had more than one pro tell me that most any of the best poker players in the world would be far more rich if they stayed on a conventional career path.  

Similarly, a buddy of mine played on the mini-tours for a time before hanging it up to take a job at a good accounting firm.  He's now a VP at a local bank--not PGA tour-level sweet gig, but still a sweet gig.  He didn't exactly take the HYPS route, going to something of a commuter college in South FL.  Want to take a guess who everyone wants in their scramble  in my town?  Same guy who gets to play golf with Faldo and other famous guys when they roll into town and need someone to play with.  

Being a really good golfer won't cure all if you can't cut it academically, but if you have talent and work ethic, one could argue that being able to play in college could open doors that lead to some really cool places.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 4:43 PM, BloctonGolf11 said:

Going to Stanford, Harvard or Princeton does not guarantee success but it ups your possibilities of success greatly. The Steve Jobs stories of successes are over exaggerated compared to the number of guys who took his path and struggle to make ends meet. Exceptional individual stories should not override what is the best path of success if possible. 

There are two factors involved.  1)Ivies especially, "take care of their own."  Since you have a boatload of Ivy graduates in hiring positions, they tend to favor candidates from their alma mater, maybe moreso than most schools.  2)Having those schools on the resume gets you into the interview room, if not the job, just on the name itself.  That's why the competition to get into those schools is so fierce.  From everything I've heard, they aren't teaching anything secret or overly different at those schools.  It's the network that makes it valuable.  It's a closed loop system.  

You have two kinds of students at the Ivies.  Those who have the grades, and will get financial aid, and those whose are legacy students who shouldn't be there, but a)legacy and b)(and more importantly) parents will pay the full freight so Johnny has Harvard on the resume.   

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

There are two factors involved.  1)Ivies especially, "take care of their own."  Since you have a boatload of Ivy graduates in hiring positions, they tend to favor candidates from their alma mater, maybe moreso than most schools.  2)Having those schools on the resume gets you into the interview room, if not the job, just on the name itself.  That's why the competition to get into those schools is so fierce.  From everything I've heard, they aren't teaching anything secret or overly different at those schools.  It's the network that makes it valuable.  It's a closed loop system.  

You have two kinds of students at the Ivies.  Those who have the grades, and will get financial aid, and those whose are legacy students who shouldn't be there, but a)legacy and b)(and more importantly) parents will pay the full freight so Johnny has Harvard on the resume.   

I work in financial service so I can only comment on what I experience.

I would argue that the so-called "networking" opportunities need to be established at an early age, even before college, more like at the high school level.  My oldest son attended a very expensive private school in Washington DC, costing about 50k/year, from 6th until 12th grade.  He has a lot of friends from very wealthy families that he is still hanging out with today, some are local and some remote, but one thing for sure, they always hang out during college Spring Break for golf.  That's where "networking" is about.  One of his friends' father is already offering my son an Internship for the summer in finance.  Could my son do better if he attends one of the Ivies? Maybe or maybe not.  My personal experience is that I stop hanging out with my college friends after college graduation but I am still hanging out with my high school friends thirty years after graduation.

As I've said before, you don't have to attend Stanford or Ivies to be successful.  Just focus on your golf game and be a good golfer, good social skill, and with a college degree from University of Virginia or Virginia Tech, you will be just as successful as someone with either a Stanford or Ivies degree, if not more.

YMMV.
Edited by mikedellgolf

25 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

I work in financial service so I can only comment on what I experience.

I would argue that the so-called "networking" opportunities need to be established at an early age, even before college, more like at the high school level.  My oldest son attended a very expensive private school in Washington DC, costing about 50k/year, from 6th until 12th grade.  He has a lot of friends from very wealthy families that he is still hanging out with today, some are local and some remote, but one thing for sure, they always hang out during college Spring Break for golf.  That's where "networking" is about.  One of his friends' father is already offering my son an Internship for the summer in finance.  Could my son do better if he attends one of the Ivies? Maybe or maybe not.  My personal experience is that I stop hanging out with my college friends after college graduation but I am still hanging out with my high school friends thirty years after graduation.

As I've said before, you don't have to attend Stanford or Ivies to be successful.  Just focus on your golf game and be a good golfer, good social skill, and with a college degree from University of Virginia or Virginia Tech, you will be just as successful as someone with either a Stanford or Ivies degree, if not more.

YMMV.

I don't disagree.  I was actually more saying it can be very much a chicken or the egg thing.  The stats supporting the argument can be quite skewed.  

A bit like the argument that point guards in the 80s/90s went to Georgia Tech because the coach could "get them to the NBA."  No, the players were talented enough on their own, and would have gotten there regardless.  

• Thanks 1