What's your Dream school?

jkpgolf

15 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

If you play college golf you can’t flunk out of school and keep playing.  Hard to think a coach wants a kid who isn’t serious about studying and grades matter too.

If you play golf sign with a school and are serious about playing there is no reason your not going to get the degree you wanted.  You pick a school because it makes sense to you. 

you act like people who do college sports are not getting what they want out it.  Pretty much every large scale university in the US gives a good education. Sure some have better programs then Others for certain degrees. The truth is no one gets a bad education either and every school has something they are good at.

a kid chooses a school and at some point takes a leap of faith with the coach and school and hopes everything is going to work out.   

Everyone knows where there at when they they sign up. If your trying to be a medical student with a lot classes then take out loans instead trying to play high level college golf. You have a better time at college.

Just like all sports programs are not created equal not all academic programs are created equal Tiger. If you want to get into a great Medical school you better believe it matters where your undergrad was done and how you did. If you want to get into a particular law school same applies, business school so on and so on. In the working world universities carry weight. My whole point is this, the purpose of college is to get an education, not play golf. Can you do both, of course. Can you excel at both, of course. However, your first most important determination about where to go has to be that it is the best spot for you educationally. Choosing an inferior educational spot so you can have the best golf program is illogical that is my only point. You have to balance it. When you are making your list of possible places you want to play if you keep a school that either sucks at your desired degree or doesn't offer, simply because you like their golf program that doesn't make a bit of sense. Your process for picking possible schools should again go: educational fits, then social fits, finally golf fits. 

"you act like people who do college sports are not getting what they want out it."

No where did I insinuate that at all. 

"a kid chooses a school and at some point takes a leap of faith with the coach and school and hopes everything is going to work out."

Old saying Tiger, you NEVER choose a school based on the coach because he could be gone the next day. Choosing a school based on the coach is like buying a car because you like the salesman. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Just like all sports programs are not created equal not all academic programs are created equal Tiger. If you want to get into a great Medical school you better believe it matters where your undergrad was done and how you did. If you want to get into a particular law school same applies, business school so on and so on. In the working world universities carry weight. My whole point is this, the purpose of college is to get an education, not play golf. Can you do both, of course. Can you excel at both, of course. However, your first most important determination about where to go has to be that it is the best spot for you educationally. Choosing an inferior educational spot so you can have the best golf program is illogical that is my only point. You have to balance it. When you are making your list of possible places you want to play if you keep a school that either sucks at your desired degree or doesn't offer, simply because you like their golf program that doesn't make a bit of sense. Your process for picking possible schools should again go: educational fits, then social fits, finally golf fits. 

"you act like people who do college sports are not getting what they want out it."

No where did I insinuate that at all. 

"a kid chooses a school and at some point takes a leap of faith with the coach and school and hopes everything is going to work out."

Old saying Tiger, you NEVER choose a school based on the coach because he could be gone the next day. Choosing a school based on the coach is like buying a car because you like the salesman. 

Dude you are over complicating things.   A kid needs to figure out what they want and just go with it at a certain point.   If signing up somewhere doesn't make sense don't make a commitment. Option C should always be just go and pay for it yourself.  

Getting a degree from a school like Harvard or Stanford is over rated there not something I would automatically sign up for if accepted.  A lot good public state schools exist and may actually give you a better education.  We are not talking about kids going to their local JC college to play golf.

If you sign up for team your job is to stick your head down focus on playing golf and study. If your a team player it should be a good 4 years.  no different then getting a job somewhere.  If the coach turns out to be a jerk then you made a mistake and need to deal with it.  

Edited by tiger1873
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Dude you are over complicating things.   A kid needs to figure out what they want and just go with it at a certain point.   If signing up somewhere doesn't make sense don't make a commitment. Option C should always be just go and pay for it yourself.  

Getting a degree from a school like Harvard or Stanford is over rated there not something I would automatically sign up for if accepted.  A lot good public state schools exist and may actually give you a better education.  We are not talking about kids going to their local JC college to play golf.

If you sign up for team your job is to stick your head down focus on playing golf and study. If your a team player it should be a good 4 years.  no different then getting a job somewhere.  If the coach turns out to be a jerk then you made a mistake and need to deal with it.  

There is no such thing as overcomplicating what is one of the most important decisions for the rest of your life Tiger and saying judge your school by academic fit, then social fit, finally golf fit, which is what I have said for post after post, is not over complicating things. The fact is you see colleges as all equal and a place for your daughter to play golf primarily. I see it differently and I want to make sure my son gets the best jumping off point for his life and career and if golf is a part of that, wonderful but it cannot overshadow the other more important aspects of why you are there. The fact is the percentage of kids who play professionally is laughably small and the percentage who go into a profession directly related to golf is not that much higher. You better be focusing on what is going to give you the best benefit for the next 40 years of your life. 

Harvard or Stanford degrees are overrated....I can't even with you when you say crap like that. Stanford MBA graduates start off at an average salary of over $200,000. 

Some reading for you on why college choice matters: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/09/14/this-chart-shows-why-parents-push-their-kids-so-hard-to-get-into-ivy-league-schools/

Your college choice matters greatly and saying they are basically all the same is asinine. If you think you are getting the same degree or opportunities at Alabama versus Vanderbilt or Georgia versus Emory or LSU versus Tulane you are kidding yourself. The distinctions aren't as stark as Ivy versus others but the differences are absolutely there. Not all degrees are created or viewed equally. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

There is no such thing as overcomplicating what is one of the most important decisions for the rest of your life Tiger and saying judge your school by academic fit, then social fit, finally golf fit, which is what I have said for post after post, is not over complicating things. The fact is you see colleges as all equal and a place for your daughter to play golf primarily. I see it differently and I want to make sure my son gets the best jumping off point for his life and career and if golf is a part of that, wonderful but it cannot overshadow the other more important aspects of why you are there. The fact is the percentage of kids who play professionally is laughably small and the percentage who go into a profession directly related to golf is not that much higher. You better be focusing on what is going to give you the best benefit for the next 40 years of your life. 

Harvard or Stanford degrees are overrated....I can't even with you when you say crap like that. Stanford MBA graduates start off at an average salary of over $200,000. 

Some reading for you on why college choice matters: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/09/14/this-chart-shows-why-parents-push-their-kids-so-hard-to-get-into-ivy-league-schools/

Your college choice matters greatly and saying they are basically all the same is asinine. If you think you are getting the same degree or opportunities at Alabama versus Vanderbilt or Georgia versus Emory or LSU versus Tulane you are kidding yourself. 

It really not worth mentioning much more about this.  

Lots of people go to IVY league and never make much either and would have been better off going to school somewhere else a lot cheaper. a Big public school with 50k kids is diverse and has a lot going for it with a lot smart kids attending.  You are not going to get a substandard education either. 

Edited by tiger1873

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Your college choice matters greatly and saying they are basically all the same is asinine. If you think you are getting the same degree or opportunities at Alabama versus Vanderbilt or Georgia versus Emory or LSU versus Tulane you are kidding yourself. The distinctions aren't as stark as Ivy versus others but the differences are absolutely there. Not all degrees are created or viewed equally. 

Emory is like the Harvard of the South.  Would love for my kid to get to go to school there and play golf.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

9 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Emory is like the Harvard of the South.  Would love for my kid to get to go to school there and play golf.

Emory, Tulane, and Vandy are all "Southern Ivies". They exemplify my point of if you have the option to go there versus LSU Georgia or Tennessee and you choose to go elsewhere due to golf you are out of your freaking mind. 

Look at 3 of the top 5 of JGS going to Vandy and Virginia, neither one of which are true golf powerhouses. They are solid programs but not elite programs. Why? Because they are smart and they are going to academic powerhouses. Virginia and Vandy are both top tier institutions. Gordon Sargeant was USA Today Golfer of the year, #2 JGS kid last year, turned down all of the traditional powerhouses to go to Vandy. Academics and connections matter.

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Hate to break it to you but if you work at any large IT services the sales team all belong to country clubs for a reason.

All the sales team who handles large accounts golfs.

B*ll$hit Flag being raised.

I work for the largest company in my IT sector and your claim is false!

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

After reading Into the Wild, it makes me wonder how much indoctrination took place at Emory to get a kid wander North America like Caine from Kung Fu and die in a broke-down VW Microbus fresh out of graduation.

• Like 1

@BloctonGolf11 I think most reasonable people would agree that the academics are extremely important. That after all, is the reason for attending college. It also depends on what the major is and what the future career plans are on how important the school choice is. There is also the issue of whether the player is good enough to have a choice of schools. Some (most I would think) don’t have the opportunity to choose their number 1 academic school and also be good enough to compete there in athletics. That’s where some of the tough decisions have to be made. Do you go to the absolute best university possible and give up on your athletics dreams? Do you find a compromise of both the best academics possible and the dream of playing golf? Maybe after 4 years you can get an advanced degree at a university that benefits your career? So many decisions that for the vast majority are going to bring about a lot of give and take. You definitely have to make sure the university is a good fit both academically and athletically. I disagree about social being #2, but honestly, just like the rest, that will be different for everyone. Hopefully (because it’s what he wants) my son has enough schools interested in him for golf that one of them also fits his academic needs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

It really not worth mentioning much more about this.  

Lots of people go to IVY league and never make much either and would have been better off going to school somewhere else a lot cheaper. a Big public school with 50k kids is diverse and has a lot going for it with a lot smart kids attending.  You are not going to get a substandard education either. 

Your are either the greatest troll of all time or well ……… 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Movingday said:

@BloctonGolf11 I think most reasonable people would agree that the academics are extremely important. That after all, is the reason for attending college. It also depends on what the major is and what the future career plans are on how important the school choice is. There is also the issue of whether the player is good enough to have a choice of schools. Some (most I would think) don’t have the opportunity to choose their number 1 academic school and also be good enough to compete there in athletics. That’s where some of the tough decisions have to be made. Do you go to the absolute best university possible and give up on your athletics dreams? Do you find a compromise of both the best academics possible and the dream of playing golf? Maybe after 4 years you can get an advanced degree at a university that benefits your career? So many decisions that for the vast majority are going to bring about a lot of give and take. You definitely have to make sure the university is a good fit both academically and athletically. I disagree about social being #2, but honestly, just like the rest, that will be different for everyone. Hopefully (because it’s what he wants) my son has enough schools interested in him for golf that one of them also fits his academic needs. 

Great points Movingday. 

I put social that high because if you do not want to be at a small rural university with a very small social atmosphere it doesn't matter how good the academics or golf program are you will be miserable and if you are miserable you won't succeed. Same if you need to be closer to home or you are ready to be away which I would put in with social if that makes sense. This could also be the case if socially you aren't ready or desire to be at a massive university it would be a very bad idea to go to UT Austin or a school that size. 

I can agree completely with that definition of social. Honestly, those might be #1. You can’t be successful academically or athletically if you can’t handle the university size, location, etc. I think that starts the process. Have an honest discussion about what the athlete is comfortable with from a school size stand point and what both the parents and athlete are comfortable with from a distance from home stand point. That allows you to start your search. From there you can start ranking academics, athletics, etc. My oldest could move across the country and be happy, my youngest will probably be the complete opposite. So we will have to treat their decisions completely different 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Movingday said:

I can agree completely with that definition of social. Honestly, those might be #1. You can’t be successful academically or athletically if you can’t handle the university size, location, etc. I think that starts the process. Have an honest discussion about what the athlete is comfortable with from a school size stand point and what both the parents and athlete are comfortable with from a distance from home stand point. That allows you to start your search. From there you can start ranking academics, athletics, etc. My oldest could move across the country and be happy, my youngest will probably be the complete opposite. So we will have to treat their decisions completely different 

100% without a doubt. My oldest will probably want a small university while my youngest will want a giant D1 style institution. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11

My 2 cents would be when looking at schools for recruiting you can control the number 1,2,3,4. Whether that's distance, academics, and/or golf.

Once the grind starts its:

#1 Academics

- Without it nothing else matter.

- Not eligible. Golf doesn't matter

#2 Golf

- Arranging your practice (individual) with study groups or class projects.

- Working with academics (weekend classes or class projects) if there are weekend activities ( tournaments / team qualify / Practice)

# 3 Team workouts

- Being there every session

# Others

- Laundry

- Eating

- Social

- Sleep

That being said my oldest had no desires to play college sports.  He lived at home and attend an A10 school.  He was more interested in traveling overseas for study aboard.

Second is an NCAA golfer and wanted this all of his HS career.  He wanted to be within driving distance from home.  A medium size school 8000+  People but not seeing the same people everyday.

He is within a few minutes of the golf facilities.  The Athletics office is able to place the team into classes that fit within the coaches practice schedule.

Certain classes he didn't get to pick.

Youngest if she wants to play wants to get away from home so we can't see her without a plane ticket.

• Like 1

Tough to beat Stanford as a dream school, but given my son's academic prowess, its a pipe dream.   Assuming he is still playing golf in a few years I'd like for him to go to a school with the best golf program possible.  Most of these have solid academics as well.  ASU, UCLA, USC are the first that come to mind. 

10 minutes ago, kekoa said:

Tough to beat Stanford as a dream school, but given my son's academic prowess, its a pipe dream.   Assuming he is still playing golf in a few years I'd like for him to go to a school with the best golf program possible.  Most of these have solid academics as well.  ASU, UCLA, USC are the first that come to mind. 

Pepperdine is whipping 2 of those 3 these days.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

42 minutes ago, kekoa said:

UCLA about to have a new coach as well. Hmmm…

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

7 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Pepperdine is whipping 2 of those 3 these days.

Yup, forgot to mention Pepperdine.  Not sure it would help that I went to grad school there or not.  Only bad thing about the schools (UCLA, USC, Pepperdine) is that they have no real practice facility on campus.  That said, they get to practice on some amazing local private clubs.  

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 6:01 PM, BloctonGolf11 said:

Great article. My dream is to go to school and have a lot of free time for my hobby. I love cinema and want to become a director. I love the movie Edward Scissorhands directed by Tim Burton. I've been a fan of movies since I was a kid and lately I've been reading a lot of useful information about cinematography, famous movies and directors on https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/movies/ Regarding shooting techniques, you can analyze, for example, the shooting angle, camera movement, lighting, manipulation of the timeline, background music, characters, dominant scenery or setting and it's incredibly interesting.

Edited by Brayden Wilson

The right education is so important, and for 100% most schools are just bad.. so chose wisely.
Not familiar with US schools, but for sure in Germany and most EU countries, you would turn down 99% of sports scholarships (which do not exist here I guess) for the better education, because most of the time you have in the whole country just few choices which really are worth to go to for the field you want to study.
So in EU you would take D-10 Harvard with no scholarship always before D1 Trailerpark Uni. Not saying that D1 schools are bad, just wane point out I dont believe all schools give you a useful degree in the US as well. So if the school you want to go has a good program for you, perfect go and play golf + study, if not chose the education first or go Pro without wasting time on a useless school 😀

9 hours ago, MWhack said:

The right education is so important, and for 100% most schools are just bad.. so chose wisely.
Not familiar with US schools, but for sure in Germany and most EU countries, you would turn down 99% of sports scholarships (which do not exist here I guess) for the better education, because most of the time you have in the whole country just few choices which really are worth to go to for the field you want to study.
So in EU you would take D-10 Harvard with no scholarship always before D1 Trailerpark Uni. Not saying that D1 schools are bad, just wane point out I dont believe all schools give you a useful degree in the US as well. So if the school you want to go has a good program for you, perfect go and play golf + study, if not chose the education first or go Pro without wasting time on a useless school 😀

The problem here is not the schools it's the kids and parents who are told that scholarships are an easy way to get free money.

Really think the old rumor that any girl that picks up a club gets a free ride is where so many people beliefs came from. It was never true.

If your going down the path of pursuing playing college sports and want them to pay for you then you most likely not going to be doing a degree where you have spend almost all your free time in the library.

If your goal is take on a heavy course load you really should be looking at studying more and doing academic scholarships and forget about doing sports to pay for it.   Playing college sports is a terrible return on investment. 

Every school where kids pick to play sports has students that actually pay hard cash to go to it and think it is good.  I can name 10 schools off the top of my head I have no idea why anyone would bother to go there yet they get new students ever year and keep growing.  It's your fault if you go there.   

If you pick a school and play on a team that offers you nothing you really have only yourself to blame.

Edited by tiger1873

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

The problem here is not the schools it's the kids and parents who are told that scholarships are an easy way to get free money.

Really think the old rumor that any girl that picks up a club gets a free ride is where so many people beliefs came from. It was never true.

If your going down the path of pursuing playing college sports and want them to pay for you then you most likely not going to be doing a degree where you have spend almost all your free time in the library.

If your goal is take on a heavy course load you really should be looking at studying more and doing academic scholarships and forget about doing sports to pay for it.   Playing college sports is a terrible return on investment. 

Every school where kids pick to play sports has students that actually pay hard cash to go to it and think it is good.  I can name 10 schools off the top of my head I have no idea why anyone would bother to go there yet they get new students ever year and keep growing.  It's your fault if you go there.   

If you pick a school and play on a team that offers you nothing you really have only yourself to blame.

To early for me to think about it but yes have heard it even here in Dubai that the girls get easy US full ride scholars, but don't believe it obv.
Some parents here let their kids play because of the US scholarships, anyway for me its too early my daughter is 8, it will be her decision as soon as she will be old enough. For sure if she decides to play on College, than I will not accept Golf over Education, its an fun addition for your College time, but focus should be on education, doesnt mean you shouldnt take golf serious still, you are going there for education.
If you want to play College golf to become a Pro, spend the money on coaching and practice instead of wasting a spot on a Collage which another child would maybe like to get.

As someone who was recruited and had the opportunity to compete in the NCAA (non-golf) I had my list of dream schools, one or two in every conference cause why not I had no reason not to and casting a larger net wasn't a bad thing. 

1. Your grades. This should be obvious you don't have the grades you won't get a look, or you will until they see your transcripts. I had a few school end conversations once they saw my grades and to be honest I wasn't a great high school student cause I had no guidance in life. But good grades can lead to extra scholarships for a lot of students which is huge today. 

2. Potential Major. This is really hard for a lot of teens on what they want to focus on and potentially do after university. A lot of universities will have most majors but obviously some are better than others 

3. Coach and Facilities. You have to click with the coach, you easily see students transfer after a coaching change sometimes following their coach or students changing decisions on where to go after a coaching change. No point going to a school just to work with a coach you don't like unless you are there for the academic program which you also see students push through, golf I assume isn't as hands on as other sports so it could be done I guess. Then facilities just have to make sure can put in the time yeah not everyone will have a facility like ASU, Texas, Ok.St, but great athletes come from other schools. Also be aware of where golf facilities are in relation to campus cause a 5min drive and 15-20min drive add up. 

4. The campus. I've been on dozens of campuses of schools from Power 5 Conferences to JUCO school in the middle of a farm field in Kansas. Majority are nice if they're 4 year institutions but depends what you like either a small town/rural campus like a Texas Tech or Kansas vs a city campus like UCLA or Vanderbilt. 

5. Scholarships. This is the biggest, boys if you're not a top 10-25 golfer money is going to be hard to get unless you can land academic scholarships, girls it's going to be easier with Title IX. But have to look at it small scholarship at a big school with lots of student loans or a bigger scholarship to a smaller D1 school or a quality D2 school. This I had to look at I had some big schools in the SEC and Big10 want me but next to no money, I could have gone would have been sweet but would have had a lot of debt, opted for a D2 school landed 75% scholarship and paid off the rest not long after. Yeah don't have the cool gear and swag but no regrets also depending on location you'll face D1 schools and could open up transfer opportunities after. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

25 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

All I know is that we will definitely be considering what the financial impact will be should he need to take out any student loans.  Both kids have stout 529's and we have additional money to contribute but there's no way I'd consider saddling my kid with $100,000 in student debt after four years.  It's a little different now compared to when @HeavyHitter went to school where you could pay off your student debt with a newborn lamb and a carton of eggs.

This is so true. My sons will have middle of the ground 529s but they are aware that they need to cover as much as possible with academic scholarships, which thankfully, they are both well on track to do. I have always said three options for them when it comes to college:

1: You don't get major scholarships, enjoy community college and a school where you can live at home.

2: You get decent scholarships, enjoy some options of schools in state.

3: You get major or full scholarships, world is your oyster and 529s can supplement.

(Golf doesn't even factor in, if it happens or can happen so be it but we are planning on known quantities)

An aside, a ton of guys on this forum seem to believe golf is going to pay for college. Spoiler alert, it is not. Keep your kids grades up, shove your foot up their butt if necessary. Academic scholarships will blow away golf scholarships. This isn't football, your kid isn't getting a full ride on golf unless they are something really really special. Golf coaches have 4.5 scholarships at the D1 level and 3.6 at the D2 level to spread around. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

All I know is that we will definitely be considering what the financial impact will be should he need to take out any student loans.  Both kids have stout 529's and we have additional money to contribute but there's no way I'd consider saddling my kid with $100,000 in student debt after four years.  It's a little different now compared to when @HeavyHitter went to school where you could pay off your student debt with a newborn lamb and a carton of eggs.

You couldn't even buy your Physics textbook with one newborn lamb when I was in school. You had to also throw in at least two donkeys and a bushel of hay, and that only got you the "heavily used" copy 🤣!

• Haha 2