2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Orleans recommendation?

Kragster

37 minutes ago, Kragster said:

Any recommendations on a good public course?

You can try the TPC course, but you'll probably find it overpriced for what it is. Other than that you could try English Turn, but the chance it's in good condition are 50/50 at best. Someone local might have better insight into its current state.

FYI everything around there will be wet, soggy, dormant bermuda grass in February. Not really optimal playing conditions if you ask me. 

Sadly, the general answer to this question is there aren't any good public courses near New Orleans. You're better off just enjoying the food and bar scene instead of trying to play golf in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

@Abh159summed it up perfectly. A few months before the storm English Turn was in the worst shape it’s ever been in although I have read a few positive reviews saying the conditions have improved. Audubon was always such an easy recommendation because it was a close, quick & enjoyable but unfortunately the conditions there have been bad as well. TPC is the only semi-enjoyable day available for public golf options in New Orleans. 

If anyone suggests City Park South ignore them. It is the worst $100 round in the country by a mile. If you have a rental and really want to play somewhere decent then you have to make the drive to LaTour or Carter Plantation. I would even suggest a drive to Oak Harbor over anything close to the city.

10 minutes ago, Kragster said:

Thanks for the info guys, I know it's definitely not best time of year for it, but wanted to at least sneak a round in so I can mark off Louisiana on my golf in all 50 states list in case I don't make it back in the future.  This will be 22/50.

Got it. Well in that case you have the choice of the two options we mentioned. Assuming you don't want to have to drive an hour to get to a course.

TPC - Should be well maintained (similar to most TPC courses), but the green fees are 2X what they should be (also similar to most TPC courses)

English Turn - Cheaper option but current conditions are unknown (seems like a lot of recent reviews are commenting on terrible green/putting conditions)

I wouldn't play English Turn right now.  TPC is the only answer here.  I would suggest City Park South Course over ET.  City Park is generally in good shape, but it's very boring.  English Turn is more interesting, but hasn't been in good shape.  Metairie CC just finished a big renovation that was supposed to restore Seth Raynor's vision for the property.  If you're a member some where you might have your pro try to call and get you on there or New Orleans Country Club

On 1/27/2022 at 3:03 PM, icegator337 said:

I wouldn't play English Turn right now.  TPC is the only answer here.  I would suggest City Park South Course over ET.  City Park is generally in good shape, but it's very boring.  English Turn is more interesting, but hasn't been in good shape.  Metairie CC just finished a big renovation that was supposed to restore Seth Raynor's vision for the property.  If you're a member some where you might have your pro try to call and get you on there or New Orleans Country Club

Thanks.   And that's a good idea, I will get my pro to make some calls and see if he can get me on one of those two.    Do you happen to know if either of the private ones are good walkable courses?

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked a stay in New Orleans for mid April.   2 of my brothers and I will play golf 3 days.  Coming from San Jose, CA Galveston, TX and Lakeland, FL.  Time to get siblings together for some fun.  I've seen the above comments but wondering if things will change before April.  We are looking at inexpensive public courses, as this is just a for fun trip and partying with brothers.

1 hour ago, 596 said:

Just booked a stay in New Orleans for mid April.   2 of my brothers and I will play golf 3 days.  Coming from San Jose, CA Galveston, TX and Lakeland, FL.  Time to get siblings together for some fun.  I've seen the above comments but wondering if things will change before April.  We are looking at inexpensive public courses, as this is just a for fun trip and partying with brothers.

Course conditions down here are super inconsistent no matter the time of year. You never really know what you’re going to get at any course with TPC being the exception. Assuming you are playing on the weekend the two courses you absolutely must avoid are City Park South and Bartholomew if you don’t want to have a 6 hour round. If I had to pick three inexpensive courses to play I would do Lakewood, Audubon & Timberlane. If I were you I would just play TPC & Audubon and find something else to do on the third day.

28 minutes ago, Young Provolone said:

Course conditions down here are super inconsistent no matter the time of year. You never really know what you’re going to get at any course with TPC being the exception. Assuming you are playing on the weekend the two courses you absolutely must avoid are City Park South and Bartholomew if you don’t want to have a 6 hour round. If I had to pick three inexpensive courses to play I would do Lakewood, Audubon & Timberlane. If I were you I would just play TPC & Audubon and find something else to do on the third day.

Playing during the week. We are all retired! 👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 596 said:

We are looking at inexpensive public courses, as this is just a for fun trip and partying with brothers.

As a few of us have mentioned... You can find cheap golf around New Orleans, but you cannot find good cheap golf.

I you're willing to drive 1 hour out of the city you might be able to find some decent tracks, but if you want to stay close (and cheap is the primary concern) then just play some of the courses we told the original poster to avoid. 

• 3 months later...

Golf here sucks

It's honestly the only way to describe it

New Orleans is flat as hell... leaving a lot of courses to feel like you're just clocking it around on a big field with some trees and water sprinkled around. So with that being said, for all of these it will be very underwhelming:

TPC: Probably the only course worth its chops in the region. But expensive. And will leave you kind of bored and about 35 minutes outside of the city proper. If you feel like playing a sophisticated course this is your only option.

English Turn: A shadow of what it used to be. I don't know what's going on there. The range is no longe like a CC. There is a ball machine you have to pay for. Flat. Hot. Again about 30 minutes outside of city proper. The greens have been in AWFUL condition. Until someone vouches that the greens are back under control I would avoid. 

Lakewood: Not bad. Never tried to be as sophisticated as ET claimed to be. Their clubhouse used to be a trailer. Now it is a trailer with a trailer. LOL. Cheaper than ET. Honestly more fun. Only about 20 minutes outside the city. Condition is always good. Range is irons only sometimes... I think they finally expanded the range to allow drivers all the time. But it collects a lot of rain so if it rained the day before it might be wedges only. 

Bayou Oaks - South (City Park): The fact they charge like $120 for a prime time tee time for this snooze fest is a joke. Nothing memorable about this course at all. Pacing is slow. Only decent thing about it is it is in the city metro. Range is awful. It's across the street. Mats only. There is grass to the side but not "official" grass. That's where I practice.

Bayou Oaks - North (City Park): If you feel like having your club pro call to see if he can get you on to a total goat ranch that costs $10 and is crawling with people in blue jeans and tee shirts.... that would honestly be pretty funny. Avoid at all costs. I play with some friends on a whim time to time just to scratch the itch. It's in the city metro.

Audubon: Honestly wish I played this course more than I have. It is like a par 64 or something. It is IN the middle of uptown. In the middle of Audubon Park. Honestly I love this course. You're nestled in uptown... the park's walking track encircles the course. Condition is always really quite good. But it is an "executive course". But it is the most scenic out of any New Orleans course. Century old oak trees shading you. Can see the steeple of Loyola. Can hear the street car. It's honestly pretty cozy. The clubhouse is a stereotypical southern house with a huge porch with rocking chairs. Only down side like I said is it's short, no practice range, and maybe I bit expensive for what you get.. like $40? But once you're done you're still in the heart of uptown.

Stonebridge: Avoid. Horrible conditions. Range is a joke. I feel like I'm in some Stephen King novel playing there. Club house is WEIRD. You PAY for your bucket of balls in the "pro shop" (a room with a cash register) and carry it out to this large yard where you hit it. People are weird and rude. And you are so so so far away from the city. Enjoy playing in a middle class neighborhood with the houses encroaching on the course and people playing in their "backyard" aka the rough the entire way.

Have never played Metairie CC or New Orleans CC. Have heard mediocre things about both.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:11 PM, Delacroix said:

Golf here sucks

It's honestly the only way to describe it

New Orleans is flat as hell... leaving a lot of courses to feel like you're just clocking it around on a big field with some trees and water sprinkled around. So with that being said, for all of these it will be very underwhelming:

TPC: Probably the only course worth its chops in the region. But expensive. And will leave you kind of bored and about 35 minutes outside of the city proper. If you feel like playing a sophisticated course this is your only option.

English Turn: A shadow of what it used to be. I don't know what's going on there. The range is no longe like a CC. There is a ball machine you have to pay for. Flat. Hot. Again about 30 minutes outside of city proper. The greens have been in AWFUL condition. Until someone vouches that the greens are back under control I would avoid. 

Lakewood: Not bad. Never tried to be as sophisticated as ET claimed to be. Their clubhouse used to be a trailer. Now it is a trailer with a trailer. LOL. Cheaper than ET. Honestly more fun. Only about 20 minutes outside the city. Condition is always good. Range is irons only sometimes... I think they finally expanded the range to allow drivers all the time. But it collects a lot of rain so if it rained the day before it might be wedges only. 

Bayou Oaks - South (City Park): The fact they charge like $120 for a prime time tee time for this snooze fest is a joke. Nothing memorable about this course at all. Pacing is slow. Only decent thing about it is it is in the city metro. Range is awful. It's across the street. Mats only. There is grass to the side but not "official" grass. That's where I practice.

Bayou Oaks - North (City Park): If you feel like having your club pro call to see if he can get you on to a total goat ranch that costs $10 and is crawling with people in blue jeans and tee shirts.... that would honestly be pretty funny. Avoid at all costs. I play with some friends on a whim time to time just to scratch the itch. It's in the city metro.

Audubon: Honestly wish I played this course more than I have. It is like a par 64 or something. It is IN the middle of uptown. In the middle of Audubon Park. Honestly I love this course. You're nestled in uptown... the park's walking track encircles the course. Condition is always really quite good. But it is an "executive course". But it is the most scenic out of any New Orleans course. Century old oak trees shading you. Can see the steeple of Loyola. Can hear the street car. It's honestly pretty cozy. The clubhouse is a stereotypical southern house with a huge porch with rocking chairs. Only down side like I said is it's short, no practice range, and maybe I bit expensive for what you get.. like $40? But once you're done you're still in the heart of uptown.

Stonebridge: Avoid. Horrible conditions. Range is a joke. I feel like I'm in some Stephen King novel playing there. Club house is WEIRD. You PAY for your bucket of balls in the "pro shop" (a room with a cash register) and carry it out to this large yard where you hit it. People are weird and rude. And you are so so so far away from the city. Enjoy playing in a middle class neighborhood with the houses encroaching on the course and people playing in their "backyard" aka the rough the entire way.

Have never played Metairie CC or New Orleans CC. Have heard mediocre things about both.

I’ve never really felt like typing a full blown summary of Nola golf but this is as close to a perfect description I’ve ever read. 

• 7 months later...

Is there any place y'all would recommend to be able to check on course conditions? I'm getting married in Nola in May, and am planning on playing golf on a Thursday before my wedding with some of my groomsmen/guests. We were thinking TPC, but it looks like general consensus is it's a lot of money for what it is. The other one at first glance is English Turn, however it seems like people on here are saying the conditions haven't been the greatest. 

40 minutes ago, UFMatt said:

Is there any place y'all would recommend to be able to check on course conditions? I'm getting married in Nola in May, and am planning on playing golf on a Thursday before my wedding with some of my groomsmen/guests. We were thinking TPC, but it looks like general consensus is it's a lot of money for what it is. The other one at first glance is English Turn, however it seems like people on here are saying the conditions haven't been the greatest. 

Google or Yelp reviews (sort by most recent) are probably your best bet, but I'd take those with a grain of salt. TPC is really the only option when it comes to having reliably good conditions. 

Also, FWIW you may have noticed that most of the courses in New Orleans are going to be a solid 30 minute drive from where you're most likely staying. Personally, I wouldn't bother playing any of them (TPC included) unless I had my own personal car or a rental car. 

• Thanks 1

I'll have my personal car in NO as we're driving to bring stuff with us for the wedding, but I do have the rehearsal/rehearsal dinner later that day so I'm probably confined to courses within ~30-45 mins.

From the preliminary digging I've done I've seen exactly what you're saying re: lack of good public golf. I'm trying to weigh asking people to pony up for TPC since they've already traveled for the wedding, or just going to a place like English/Audubon/Bayou South and having fun. 

I wouldn't say any of us are really golf snobs (only a couple of guys are members at private clubs), so as long as the course isn't in horrid condition I imagine we'd be happy to just all get out there, play, and drink some beer. 

English Turn is vastly different then the last description. Greens are in great shape. Overall course is in great shape. Great value, great clubhouse/food. Good cart beverage support and the people are very nice.

Call and ask for the head pro - Mike Pizzitola. Tell him Kirkland referred you.

You will enjoy the day.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 2:10 PM, Kragster said:

Thanks.   And that's a good idea, I will get my pro to make some calls and see if he can get me on one of those two.    Do you happen to know if either of the private ones are good walkable courses?

TPC is not walkable, they won’t  take anything off the cost and they might make you take a cart for pace of play.  Metairie CC it encouraged to walk.  If you go there and need a walking partner LMK.  

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Following this thread, as I am doing an impromptu trip to NO in Mid March -- a month before the Zurich. Was looking at TPC and also English Turn. Only have time for one round, though. 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 59/7 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B6- '24 BX