What golf ball are you using and why?

Movingday

I did a ball testing with my daughter using the QC quad. We had her hit 50 yd shot, full wedge, 7iron, and driver. After all of the testing a Mizuno ball was the best. No way that I'm going with that. The next closest one was the TP5x ball and she already plays that. So it was good to know that is a great ball for her. Just shocked that a Mizuno ball got the best numbers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Golfingdawg19 said:

I did a ball testing with my daughter using the QC quad. We had her hit 50 yd shot, full wedge, 7iron, and driver. After all of the testing a Mizuno ball was the best. No way that I'm going with that. The next closest one was the TP5x ball and she already plays that. So it was good to know that is a great ball for her. Just shocked that a Mizuno ball got the best numbers.

What balls were in the test? What were you measuring? What’s her SS?

I'm waiting for all the new balls to come out before we do our 22 test.  But I think one of the bigger things to look at his ball speed assuming equal smash. But also depends what your player needs do they need more height ?  more spin? less spin? 

been doing some testing with left dash. ball be lonnng

Edited by darter79
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Golfingdawg19 said:

I have to say, that Mizuno RB Tour does not lack for performance.  It will spin like crazy and hold greens, and is plenty long off the tee--as long as you can get it up in the air.  It tends to fly low.  

The really bad part about the RB Tour is that it is the least-durable ball my kids have played so far.  There's a reason Rock Bottom Golf was selling them for $23 per box a bit ago, but I don't regret the purchase...I just won't buy any more.

I'm not sure what balls my kids will play this year.  The past few months we have been playing from a stash of premium balls we have found (TP5, TP5x, ProV1, ProV1x mostly), and also leftover boxes of QST, RB Tour, AVX, Chrome Soft, Project (a) and current gen Z-Star.  

The QST and Project (a) were very comparable, maybe the Project (a) is a little better all-around.  We went through a box of Tour Response and it didn't seem like the ball performed as well as the Project (a) for my son in any way (swing speed at the time was 62-66, 66-68 now).  I'm leaning towards AVX for this year for him.

My daughter shuffled between the RB Tour, AVX and Z-Star last year and she had her best results with the AVX IMO.  Off the Tee, it was certainly the longest for her (SS 71-74) of the three.  We tried some of those premium balls along the way, and it was hard to not like the ProV1 and ProV1x.  The TP5 balls are comparable.  We have a bunch of Z-Star left, but I may just save them for my son.

Younger kids with slower swing speeds should check out the Vice Pro Soft. They seemed to fly as far as any of the other balls my daughter tested (Chrome/Super Softs, Titleist ProV/AVX, TM TP5), but there are some things we really like about them: 1. Multiple cool color options...my kid loves the baby blue's (unique, so she never has to mark balls in tournaments)  2. Great putting line printed...this really helps them lining up the ball.  3. Really soft with nice check and spin on greens. 4. Cost...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Movingday said:

So for those liking the AVX, what’s do you like more than the ProV1 or ProV1x? 

I find for me it has great feel around the greens.  Maybe not as much spin on wedge shots in my opinion as Pro V’s but has great feel around the greens.  Putting, it has a great feel off the putter face.  To be honest on Driver and Iron craps it has great feel.  For short Gabe though I think it’s a great ball.  

4 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

Younger kids with slower swing speeds should check out the Vice Pro Soft. They seemed to fly as far as any of the other balls my daughter tested (Chrome/Super Softs, Titleist ProV/AVX, TM TP5), but there are some things we really like about them: 1. Multiple cool color options...my kid loves the baby blue's (unique, so she never has to mark balls in tournaments)  2. Great putting line printed...this really helps them lining up the ball.  3. Really soft with nice check and spin on greens. 4. Cost...

I agree here too.  For the money these are excellent balls, and if you buy in bulk I believe they give a discount.  

17 hours ago, Movingday said:

What balls were in the test? What were you measuring? What’s her SS?

We used the following balls:

pro v1

pro v1x

tp5

tp5x

bridgestone tour b rx

srixon Z star

srixon z star xv

Mizuno tour rb

mizuno tour rbx

My daughter’s swing speed with a driver is between 80-82. We did a 50 yd wedge shot and looked for spin. Mainly checking to see how fast it stopped. Looked to see that the distance was consistent. Pretty much the same thing on full wedge. On the full wedge we did look at height and descent angle as well.   She hit a 7 iron and driver and we looked at ball speed, carry distance, spin, decent angle. She hit every companies x version better than the regular version. Overall the Mizuno tour rbx was the best followed by the TP5x. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MB19 said:

I have to say, that Mizuno RB Tour does not lack for performance.  It will spin like crazy and hold greens, and is plenty long off the tee--as long as you can get it up in the air.  It tends to fly low.  

The really bad part about the RB Tour is that it is the least-durable ball my kids have played so far.  There's a reason Rock Bottom Golf was selling them for $23 per box a bit ago, but I don't regret the purchase...I just won't buy any more.

I was shocked when that ball out performed the others for my daughter. I will let her play around with a sleeve of them but she will stick with the TP5x ball. 

• Like 1

I'm going to play the best all around ball I've played since they came out. Snell MTB. When you consider price and performance nothing beats it imo.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

16 hours ago, Movingday said:

So for those liking the AVX, what’s do you like more than the ProV1 or ProV1x? 

AVX is sneaky long. And flies higher than it advertised for slower swing players from my experience. Using my launch monitor it can actually a lot higher than the prov1.  The infamous my spy golf ball test it was one of the faster ball speeds for sub 85 players. As always it's good to test these ball side-by-side on the course in a launch monitor so you can see what's going on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darter79 said:

AVX is sneaky long. And flies higher than it advertised for slower swing players from my experience. Using my launch monitor it can actually a lot higher than the prov1.  The infamous my spy golf ball test it was one of the faster ball speeds for sub 85 players. As always it's good to test these ball side-by-side on the course in a launch monitor so you can see what's going on

Interesting. I was worried about the low flight profile. Will have to pick some up to try out. 

Like everyone else we tried everything out there. 

End of the day Prov1  and Bridgestone tour b makes the best quality balls.

Other balls don’t seem to be as consistent quality.  It tends to show up in putting and once in a while a ball will just have a weird flight.

Used to buy Tp5 balls because they were great for the price until i noticed the odd ball had issues. 

I know this is extra picky but i never gotten a bad ball with a prov1 or bridgestone balls.  

My son enjoys the Srixon qstar tour

• Like 1

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD