2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Tour Response (2022)

scott406

Gotta say those Tru Feel numbers were impressive, strong value proposition there for folks that like a really soft ball and very low spin off the longer clubs. I found the old Project A balls to feel nice, but were short and spinny off the tee, the TR looks to have improved on that.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:50 AM, NRJyzr said:

The biggest drop in swingspeed from overcompression of softer balls happens somewhere over 110mph clubhead speed.  The relative ball speeds get closet together as you move thru the range of normal iron swingspeeds.  Once you get to a certain point, the softer balls actually produce slightly higher ballspeed.

The whole "soft is slow" mantra is overstated, until you get into the 115mph range, or thereabouts.

Can't say i've experienced this.. My typical driver swing is around 115mph and i didn't feel any kind of loss of distance, in fact, for me this seems like the perfect compression. It's also apparent from the clubface after a strike off the tee, because you can see the size and rotation of the dimple pattern on the face.

On 3/22/2022 at 3:12 AM, Vlade15 said:

I guess I am curious - not to hijack the thread - I swing at about 120ish mph.  How much speed am I really going to lose over my current gamer (Srixon XV)?  Because I have to assume the Tour Response would be lower spin due to it being softer.  So realistically, it could be a wash...could it not?

The reason I ask is because I love the Stripe idea.  I am a sucker for cool patterns (Truvis, Pix, currently game the Divide).

Ball speed ? shouldn't it be a direct reflection of your swing speed ? as i mentioned, i did not feel any kind of speed loss. I carrried the ball ~280 in my round on saturday, since my course doesn't have a lot of roll from being quite soft.

You'd simply have to test some either on the course or with a monitor using that particular ball.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:48 AM, baudi said:

Got a box of Tour Response Stripe.

This ball feels good, launches slightly higher, spins acceptable.

THE DURABILITY IS ABSOLUTELY CRAP. 

Hit a few partial wedges on a par three course. Nicks and cuts within a couple of shots. 

The yellow stripe started to peel off after 5 holes. 

I measured the compression at 78.

In comparison the q-star tour divide is superior.

Durability of CS truvis also much better.

Unfortunately, i would have to agree with the durability, although it could be an outlier. I had one with a crack on it, but i had hit the trees and potentially a cart path in the trees on one hole.

Overall, i'm really impressed with the ball.

• Feels very soft off the putter.
  • Also interesting that no matter how you line up the ball, it seems to always revert to the perfect roll, using the one with the ugly green line as some people might think. (you have to see it to understand what i mean watching the ball roll end over end from an unaligned position)
  • performance is great off the driver. Long distance and i'm seeing less spin and curve on the ball.
  • Irons are high launching in my opinion and distance is still accurate to my expectations .
  • Wedges are where it intersted me, from a full wedge swing from <100 yards into a really hard uphill green, i still managed to stop it within 1 ft of the pitch mark at least twice. This is quite unusual for the course I play.

I also gave 2 or 3 away to playing partners, one guy playing a TP5 for a long time thought it suited him better. (i can see he has a lower swing speed for TP5 anyway)

all 3 people loved the putting feel.

• Like 1

TM Mini Brnr 9* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Attas 6Rockstar 6X

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

On 4/8/2022 at 4:18 AM, lekimann said:

How do you like the blue yellow? I heard the Red/yellow combo is better for visiblity.

The contrast  of blue / yellow works really well in the air and on the green.  Like mini beach ball. 

In the air yellow/blue works better than yellow/orange.  Have no experience with yellow / red.

Visibility of blue  is less when on top and lying in the rough. 

Edited by baudi

On 4/10/2022 at 12:09 AM, Andygolderson said:

Can't say i've experienced this.. My typical driver swing is around 115mph and i didn't feel any kind of loss of distance, in fact, for me this seems like the perfect compression. It's also apparent from the clubface after a strike off the tee, because you can see the size and rotation of the dimple pattern on the face.

Ball speed ? shouldn't it be a direct reflection of your swing speed ? as i mentioned, i did not feel any kind of speed loss. I carrried the ball ~280 in my round on saturday, since my course doesn't have a lot of roll from being quite soft.

You'd simply have to test some either on the course or with a monitor using that particular ball.

Unfortunately, i would have to agree with the durability, although it could be an outlier. I had one with a crack on it, but i had hit the trees and potentially a cart path in the trees on one hole.

Overall, i'm really impressed with the ball.

• Feels very soft off the putter.
  • Also interesting that no matter how you line up the ball, it seems to always revert to the perfect roll, using the one with the ugly green line as some people might think. (you have to see it to understand what i mean watching the ball roll end over end from an unaligned position)
  • performance is great off the driver. Long distance and i'm seeing less spin and curve on the ball.
  • Irons are high launching in my opinion and distance is still accurate to my expectations .
  • Wedges are where it intersted me, from a full wedge swing from <100 yards into a really hard uphill green, i still managed to stop it within 1 ft of the pitch mark at least twice. This is quite unusual for the course I play.

I also gave 2 or 3 away to playing partners, one guy playing a TP5 for a long time thought it suited him better. (i can see he has a lower swing speed for TP5 anyway)

all 3 people loved the putting feel.

Any ball if you hit cart path will scuff. I've hit these in my garage into a net and they seem to hold up fine. I haven't hit with wedges so we shall see.

Can you judge a ball after hitting it one time with a driver?

I would guess not, but the other day I played 9 holes with my normal playing partners.  I'm the senior of the group and also the shortest hitter.  I had taken a 2022 TR with me because I wanted to hit some comparison shots with it.

We got to the 8th hole and I had not had the chance to hit one shot with the TR.  But my drive sailed into a fairway bunker about 190 yards away.  I decided to give the TR a shot so I teed it up and smacked it.  

It was straight and had a little draw on it (I never hit a draw).  Got to the fairway and it was not only about 30 yards ahead of my 2022 Chrome Soft, but it was also the longest drive that any of my playing partners hit, and one of them had hit a really good drive.

So was this just a fluke?  Not sure, but I intend to play it on the next round and give it a proper evaluation.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:16 PM, lekimann said:

People that have played with these on the course, do they seem to be more visible than regular white balls? Not sure what green it is but seems like it might blend in with the grass.

I have played this ball for three rounds.  Overall, it performs well.  I do feel it is a few percentage points shorter than a Pro V1x off the driver.  The feel is soft off all clubs.  Feels good.  Spins well.  The wide green stripe really helps me line up quickly which was my number 1 goal with this ball.  Can get the ball targeted quickly on the putting green (I have to mess with ball with a simple line too much and wastes time - my eyes are not the best).  This lines up quickly and accurate.   A downside of this line, is, when the ball aligns just right in the fairway or rough, with the green pointing in your direction, it can be hard to spot for these not-so-good eyes.  Have lost two balls that did not seem to be put in situations where losing them was a possibility.  It is a con for me but the overall performance and especially the ease of alignment is winning out thus far.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

On 4/7/2022 at 8:16 PM, lekimann said:

People that have played with these on the course, do they seem to be more visible than regular white balls? Not sure what green it is but seems like it might blend in with the grass.

It does make it harder, but when putting, it does a great job getting you lined up

USGA 0.2 Handicap
Worse part of my game: Putting
Best part of my game: Short Game
Club I love to Hate: Putter
Most Favorite to Hit: Driver
Goal: +2 Handicap 2022

52 minutes ago, baudi said:

Here is a picture I took today of a new TR ball.  I struck it once with a minidriver. Great flight, long but I will return my box

to TM. 

TR new ball please.jpg

That doesn't look near as good as the Maxfli tour X I played 9 with other day. You couldn't even tell I had played with it. I've been trying to find the one ball I want to play with going forward and from looks of this TR is not one I want to try. My two choices right now is between the Maxfli tour and the MTB Black. May even try the Vice Pro 

So I went and picked up a dozen of these golf balls on Friday and played with them on Saturday

I normally would play after work a few holes with the new ball and my gamer (Snell Black) to get a feel for the new ball,

but what the hell I played with them on my normal game on Saturday mornings 

Off of the Driver I found myself around the same area as always when playing the Snell Black on my home course

Again I don't have a side by side comparison to see which one if further but I was playing from roughly the same areas I normally do when I hit a good drive

I found no distance loss from the irons either, and 8 iron flew the same distance and sometimes a little further but we had a good breeze on Saturday

I did notice that this ball flew a lot higher than my Snell

I actually thought I got under it a few times but it went the same distance but it was noticeably higher flying than the Snell

I use to play the BridgeStone RX and I thought those flew high but these topped that.

As far as stopping on the greens, it is hard to tell right now because the greens are hard as a rock as we have not had much rain down south.

The didn't roll off by any means but didn't back up either.

Will have to hit them side by side with the Snell to get an idea if the Snell is reacting the same way.

We had a good breeze on Saturday and this ball seem to hold its line into the wind very well

IMO the Snell Black is the best into the wind but I did not notice and drop off with the TR.

Feel off the putter took some time to get use to because they are soft off the putter, softer than the Snell for sure

I absolutely loved the line on the ball but I am a big fan of the TRUVIS on the Chrome Soft, I just don't like the Chrome Soft ball.

I see a lot of people posting pics about durability but I had no issues

I hit a bad diver into a tree, off of a house and back into play (seriously)

Now the ball had a nice mark on it and I had to take it out of play ( I wish I would have kept the ball) but the rest of the balls held up nice

I hit a CBX Zipcore 54* wedge several times and did not have any bite marks on the ball.

My home course is lined with trees and although I only hit one square, I flew through a couple of branches without any marks on the ball.

At least not what I have seen in some previous post which is concerning .

Overall:

This ball is right up on the Snell Black for me

I want to try it out head to head and see what I can find out but this ball so far is a winner for me.

My top 3 right now

1. Snell Black

2. Tour Response

3. Triad 

PS

These are my experiences playing 18 holes with this ball, your results may vary 

I play to a 9hcp

Driver SS is 96-99

I shot 82 on Saturday with a 39 on the back 9 

I had 2 birdies and I missed a 3 footer for another birdie but that is operator error not the ball (maybe the putter)

PSS

It has been a while since I tried out the TP5, but I may give them a go also

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by scott406
  • Like 4

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

I've played a few rounds with this ball now and I love it. It goes far with the driver, good with the irons, and good off the putter.

My only complaint and it could be a deal breaker is that it is harder to find than a white ball in the rough. The green on the ball seems to almost camouflage the ball. You would think it would make it more easy to find but it is not. 

If Taylormade made a different color than the green then it would be perfect for me. 

On 4/14/2022 at 2:30 PM, Galanga said:

I have played this ball for three rounds.  Overall, it performs well.  I do feel it is a few percentage points shorter than a Pro V1x off the driver.  The feel is soft off all clubs.  Feels good.  Spins well.  The wide green stripe really helps me line up quickly which was my number 1 goal with this ball.  Can get the ball targeted quickly on the putting green (I have to mess with ball with a simple line too much and wastes time - my eyes are not the best).  This lines up quickly and accurate.   A downside of this line, is, when the ball aligns just right in the fairway or rough, with the green pointing in your direction, it can be hard to spot for these not-so-good eyes.  Have lost two balls that did not seem to be put in situations where losing them was a possibility.  It is a con for me but the overall performance and especially the ease of alignment is winning out thus far.

That's funny, that same situation happened to me too. I found one after searching for a while and it was right in front of me but couldn't see it unless you really try to look for the white. I lost one ball that I definitely should not have lost and it was right along that fairway/rough area. 

I guess it could be good in that it makes you really pay attention to where your ball lands and look in that area. Sometimes I tend to just think "in that direction" and then slowly look as I walk/drive up to it. 

Posted earlier in favor of the ball overall based largely on the help it provides me in putting alignment.   

Well, after 4-5 rounds, I gave them all away.  In that number of rounds, I lost 4 balls that should not have been lost (i.e., they were not that far in the rough) - one was in the fairway w four people looking.  I typically play a ball for 2-3 rounds and rarely lose a ball.  Another reason I gave them away…I hit a tee shot w driver and it duck hooked wildly left.  I accepted it as a really bad toe hook.  Ball was not found.  A playing partner found the same ball two days later, with no blunt force trauma (e.g., from mower blade) but it had a jagged crack about one inch long on one side - about like you see in some driving range balls from time to time.  I tossed the damaged ball and didn’t think to take a picture - my bad.  I am very average as regards swing speed so no good reason for it to crack. 

All anecdotal, but enough for me to lose confidence in the ball.  Moving back to my normal golf balls. 

Edited by Galanga
  • Confused 1

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

The Tour Response Stipe will come in different colors according to MGS

There will be a Navy, Pink and Blood Orange

They are selling these colors individually at certain stores in jars at the checkout like Volvik did

I guess whatever sells the most will get mass produced

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Played 18 with the stripe. 48 degrees and wet and mucky. By the turn it warmed up to about 60. Durability was ok, flight was on the higher side off driver and off all clubs was a touch shorter than I expect, but I’d say the weather and wind contributed to that heavily. Put a yellow RZN MS Tour into play the last few holes. Lower flight for sure. Visually, the green stripe helps on putting, in the rough it is tougher to see. I’d be interested in a bright yellow stripe in this. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had to admit it today.  The TR is just not what I expected after playing it for 3 rounds in very wet conditions and other round in very firm conditions.  I've decided to go back to the 2022 Chrome Soft.  I think the difference for me is that I need a slightly firmer ball (higher compression) because I started to lose all feel for the TR.  As soon as I put the 2022 Chrome Soft in play today (on the back 9), I was making better contact with even club in the bag.  

The TR is definitely a nice ball, but just not working for me.

On 4/17/2022 at 1:11 PM, scott406 said:

Overall:

This ball is right up on the Snell Black for me

I want to try it out head to head and see what I can find out but this ball so far is a winner for me.

That is funny because I bought a box of these and my current gamer is also a Snell Black. I wanted a softer ball for no other reason than I has been a while since I tried a "soft" (sub 75 compression) ball. My current driver swing speed is 105 mph but I have been flighting it a bit low so will be interested to see if these balls fly higher than the Snells. I will report back on my findings but mainly I am hoping to see/feel: (1) Higher flight with driver and woods (2) softer feel off 1/2 wedges mainly and see how that correlates with control around the green and (3) if a soft ball messes with my distance control on a putter. I am making a double switch because I went back to a putter with an insert this week from a typical all steel putter head. Should be interesting if nothing else. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - Vanquish 4R

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

So I played 18 with the tour responses this weekend and the results were very good. I am trying not to get carried away with what I saw but it seems like I was able to hit the ball at least as far, more likely farther, than my Snell Blacks and the ball held greens perfectly fine. In fact, I was hitting the ball too far in a few instances, like I managed to hit my 5W over 260 yds into trouble:

5W.png.fd291eccd6fab7670537b55cfa0e0b19.png

I have never been close to hitting it this far. Normally it gently covers the dogleg and rolls out to about 250. My stock carry with a 5W is 230 but yesterday it was more like 245-255. And then I got a hold of one a few holes later:

Driver.png.fea3d0e1bfcc9bcfdc3dadd927f54401.png

At a swing speed of 105 mph with a driver, this is pretty rare territory for me. It was about 85 degrees and dry yesterday so that helped some of the runout but I was probably carrying my driver 280-290 when I am normally in the 250-260 range. Again, could be an anomaly but I didn't feel like I was giving up distance with this softer ball. Felt great off of wedges. Didn't chip or crack as I played the same ball for 18 holes. I will agree it is difficult to locate in the rough. Will probably opt for the all white version next time or the orange stripe if they get it. 

The one con or thing I have to get used to is that the ball is slow off a putter. I left my first 3-4 putts woefully short because the ball is so soft off the putter face. I think with some practice that won't be an issue and with the results I saw above it is a fair tradeoff. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I am about 4 rounds in and the Tour Response is undoubtedly longer (for me) than Snell MTB was. It is counterintuitive because the ball feels much softer but it is what I am seeing out on the course. It is like I got 5 yards back (and no, it is not runout, on many shots I am backing it up whereas it used to just stick with the Snell). Still love Snell and what they are doing but the Tour Response is where it is at for me right now. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I've gotta say that I'm really impressed by the Tour Response after several months of testing now. It is one of the longest balls I've used, and it still performs well around the green for me. I used the same ball for 35 1/2 holes Monday and Tuesday until dunking it in the water going for the green in two on the 18th yesterday. Shot rounds of 74 and 72, so I was +2 over the course of 36 holes, which is by far my best stretch of golf in my 25+ years of playing. No, it's not all attributable to the ball, but having confidence that the ball will do what I want it to is exactly what I want. 

Still have several dozen Snell MTB-Black to go through, but I'll likely move to the Tour Response exclusively once I use those up.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing the previous year TR, and pretty much fine with it. My preferred ball of choice, (as a couple of previous posters indicated), was a Wilson Duo Pro. Since it's gone the way of the DoDo bird, I had to opt for something else. 

Finally got around to getting the newer version TR. Performance wise, I didn't see a lick of difference from the previous model. Only thing I felt was that it was a tad firmer. I know that most are saying it's softer, but it is subjective I guess. If I could still get the previous model, I would choose that over the new. Then again, I seem to remember that I preferred the Project A over the TR. Going to order some Vice Pro Soft's and see if that works out. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

15 hours ago, launcher said:

Been playing the previous year TR, and pretty much fine with it. My preferred ball of choice, (as a couple of previous posters indicated), was a Wilson Duo Pro. Since it's gone the way of the DoDo bird, I had to opt for something else. 

Finally got around to getting the newer version TR. Performance wise, I didn't see a lick of difference from the previous model. Only thing I felt was that it was a tad firmer. I know that most are saying it's softer, but it is subjective I guess. If I could still get the previous model, I would choose that over the new. Then again, I seem to remember that I preferred the Project A over the TR. Going to order some Vice Pro Soft's and see if that works out. 

Thanks for the comparison to the prior model. Makes it easier to resist the buying urge. The Duo Pro was a good ball.