2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Tour Response (2022)

scott406

I have a few rounds under my belt with the Tour response now (stripe).

Excellent ball but especially love it on the greens 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

I have been playing the q star tour for several years. The other day I found one of these balls so the next time out I gave it a try. I shot my best round of the year. A one over 73. I like the ball and thinks it's every bit as good as the QST. Not sure what the cost is but if it's comparable to the QST I would have no problem playing it.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

$40 for 12 Tour Responses (I recommend the ones without the stripe since they are easier to spot in the rough) vs $35 for Q star tour I believe. So paying about 40 cents more per ball. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I’ve been playing the original one off and on since the end of last year, it has performed well for me. 

I did pickup a sleeve of the striped ones to try. I like the alignment stripe for putting. I was goig to try them in our league match this Wednesday, but now I might wait. Our rough is pretty nasty right now and it’s hard enough to find balls as it is, don’t need any more problems there. And someone above said they come off the putter pretty slow. That’s not good for me.  I’ll have to try them in a casual round. 

Played some for the first time yesterday. I tried the striped one. If you can keep your ball in the fairway or 1st cut, no problem finding them, but they definitely don't pop like a white ball. I hit one through a fairway into knee high fescue and it was gone for good.

I really liked putting with it. I have waivered on using putting alignment between a drawn line and no marking (wanting to see just white). The big stripe shows you really quickly if your eyeline is over the ball or not. Took me some holes to sort it out and trust the alignment, but really fun to watch that green stripe rolling into a hole when you hit it true. I only missed one putt within 4' yesterday, which is about 2 less than normal. Saved a few strokes!

I mostly use Chrome Softs and Bx-S and I don't think anything feels quite like a Chrome Soft, but I'm not good enough to be particular and so I am going to give these a longer run. If I can shave a couple of putts off my score that is a big deal.

The course I played was links-y so I was hitting mostly low wedges and never tried to spin a ball hard, but was able to hold greens as needed with short irons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Put the stripe into play in a 3 day tournament over the weekend.

Very impressed with the performance finished the three day event with a solid round of 76, which included 15 pars, one double and two bogeys in tough conditions. Can’t fault the performance, just wish the stripe was a different colour to make it easier to spot

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Played the all white on Friday… they have pushed the Titleist Tour Speeds out of the bag! They seem similar on woods/irons but off of wedges and the putter they definitely are softer and have more feel overall… less clicky.

I shot one of my best rounds with them too… 82… that helps make my decision too 😁

I'm interested in trying the stripe but not enough to by an entire box.

Edited by Brian_Mc
  • Like 1

I’ve been playing the current TM Tour Response for at least ten rounds, long review follows.

72, slowing down but adapting to aging, currently 6.7, driver carry now only ~200, higher ball flight, have always put too much spin on the ball retarding driver roll out, straight, hit a lot of greens even with fairway metals.  Fit last year by state’s Callaway rep, Epic Max 9*. Until about a year ago I was comfortable with the previous generation Chrome Soft, did everything well for me, then I read MyGolfSpy report about quality control, switched for the past year to both ProVs, found I could take one degree off the Epic Max to 8* and play the ProV1x in most winds, play the ProV1 into the wind or strong crosswinds.  Also, for a couple years I sometimes played the previous generation AVX, while it definitely benefitted me with the driver in firm conditions, I occasionally had big surprise roll outs on approaches that landed on greens, lost confidence, gave them away. At my probably no more than 90 mph driver ss, I thought I should look into MyGolfSpy’s recommendations for “moderate” swing speeds, that led me to try the Tour Response.

Mid-June I bought a sleeve of the stripe, they are more difficult to see in the rough, I lost one that should have been findable.  Recently bought another sleeve of high visibility yellow, appropriately named.

I’ve played two of the stripe for at least ten rounds, durability is excellent.

My first impression just doing short game practice with the Tour Response was the feel was “weird”, that’s the word that came to mind.  Definitely soft, but also kind of springy or quite resilient.  And I had been very comfortable with the previous generation Chrome Soft around the greens.  My initial thought just pitching the ball was I might not get used to it.

Driver performance is comparable to ProVs.  Initially I tried to tee it a bit higher a couple of times and found it would launch too high for me, wouldn’t balloon but I don’t want it up that high at the mercy of crosswinds, I’ve found I can typically tee it half-the-ball-above-the-crown and get ProV1x-like trajectory, tee it just a tad lower into the wind, just fine.  Get some decent roll out in firmer conditions.

Full swing approach performance into greens comparable to ProVs, a few times maybe a touch more roll out than expected, nothing major, no big surprises like I had with previous generation AVX.  Distance control is fine.

Short game performance comparable to ProVs and previous generation Chrome Soft.  I still think the feel is a little “weird” but the Tour Response has performed very much like the Chrome Soft, when I really want it to grab a bit it does.

Putting I don’t use alignment lines, but if I did the stripe would be a nice feature.  Feel is okay soft, I’ve never had any surprises with distance control.

Overall, a very good all around ball that seems well suited for a “moderate” swing speed player who wants predictability on approaches landing on greens and short game work.  I’ll likely be playing the yellow going forward.  Haven’t tried the current Chrome Soft, presently am comfortable with the Tour Response.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, lekimann said:

I actually use a triple track ball for putting only. 

Am I the only one that uses premium balls that I find on the course for balls? I wonder if sticking with one ball only will help my score. 

Same ball for every shot! Really! C'mon! You've got to be kidding! Why would you do that? 

OK! Pick a ball you like, even if its a cheap ball, buy a box. Bring them to the course, play them on every shot! EVERY SHOT!! I would think your game will thank you, as well as making you more consistent, you will build confidence that you can trust your ball to react the SAME way every shot! Try it! You might like it! Trust me!

• Like 1

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)

I have tried the earlier version of this ball(2020), and love it around the greens, but off the tee, not always in the fairway. That layer that helps with spin around the greens, rears it ugly head on the tee. Not good! Lost a box in about 4 rounds..not for me. Distance control with the putter is a learning curve, being that it is soft...

On 3/31/2022 at 10:22 AM, RightHandRough said:

I wish I could just get a sleeve to compare to the old ones, if they are getting nicked up that bad it's quite the downgrade. I've never had that issue with the response or the tp5 line.

I have a sleeve of the Tour Response from last year. If you are interested, we could work out a deal. I spun these on a Check n Go(red stripe), and one ball has a few holes on it.

16587965061175053652159198210188.jpg

2 minutes ago, drb1956 said:

I have a sleeve of the Tour Response from last year. If you are interested, we could work out a deal. I spun these on a Check n Go(red stripe), and one ball has a few holes on it.

16587965061175053652159198210188.jpg

I'm good on the old ones, still have a couple sleeves left. Still hoping someone does a head to head of them with #'s so we can say we're getting more than a racing stripe for the extra $, but from what a lot of people seem to think the $5 stripe makes a huge difference. Funny to think that the big thing in golf ball development the last 5 years has been on the paint job and not changes in cores lol.

Well, there is no figuring people out today. And all marketing firms, with all their vast knowledge, I think miss the point when they are doing research. Case and point: Auto makers said nobody wants cars anymore, even much less wagons. So, now they've stopped making cars. So, then gas went to $5 or more per gallon. Guys that have pick-ups were really crying at the pump. Ok, so now gas is coming down. In the mean time, auto makers are now making crossovers(CUV) because their marketing says that not all people want a p-up, or a large SUV. DUH! You literally wrote off a large market share of people that still want a car. So, I bought a South Korean car, after selling my 18 year old Ranger. And I will probably buy another, when the time comes. So, I think marketing is flawed to the point, wherein they tell their customers what they want to hear, and not what they should hear. Also, I don't use the alignment lines provided, I make my own. Even after that, they still spun off my driver into the trees. If I could hit this off the driver, it may well be my gamer. Sticking with 2 piece balls at this time...

• Like 1

Played these yesterday for the first time. Love the yellow, easy to see for these old eyes. Feel, performance and durability were great for me. Perfect amount of spin around the greens. 

• Like 1

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I said I’d try these when they came out as a user of the original, but then got injured. Finally tried them last night.

These are still long off the tee and still don’t really spin round the green for me compared to tp5, pro v1, etc. However, the striped version seems to be less durable than the original tour response. I found it very easy to scuff where the original ball would easily last 2-3 rounds. Not tried it without the stripe to see if it’s just the striped ones it impacts, but first impressions aren’t good for me.

Edited by philly2kuk
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

FWIW - my Pro Shop just told me they have been getting large shipments of Tour Responses from TM that are marked PRACTICE and all have slight cover defects. 25$ a dz.

They said they are getting them consistently, and the TM rep actually asked them to pick up the SKU.

so take that as you will 

Driver - G425 Max w a AltaCB S 55

3 Wood - TSI2 Tensei Blue 65 S

5 Wood - TSi2 Tensei Blue 64 S

Hybrid - Cobra RadSpeed 21º ES Recoil S

Irons - 5-PW Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo Modus105 S

Wedges - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52/10 + Full Face RTX Zipcore 58/9

Putter - Odyssey Versa White Hot One

Bag: Cobra Ultralight Stand

Ball : Titieist ProV1 - Demoing the Callaway Chrome Tour for 2024 

On 7/27/2022 at 6:12 AM, philly2kuk said:

I said I’d try these when they came out as a user of the original, but then got injured. Finally tried them last night.

These are still long off the tee and still don’t really spin round the green for me compared to tp5, pro v1, etc. However, the striped version seems to be less durable than the original tour response. I found it very easy to scuff where the original ball would easily last 2-3 rounds. Not tried it without the stripe to see if it’s just the striped ones it impacts, but first impressions aren’t good for me.

Same with my experience. I grabbed a sleeve of the striped version. I used the one indoors in the sim and the wear on the bal was pretty obvious. Yesterday I played another one and by hole 12, the ball looked like it’s been played around 36 holes. Though it seemed like it had good distance because of it’s low spin nature, I did notice that it lacked the spin around the green or on approach shots.

• Like 1

For those interested..... Not sure which particular version these are, but HoleOutGolf has Tour Response practice balls for $18.50 per dozen when purchased in 3 dozen lots.  When I added to my cart to check the shipping cost, there was an option for free shipping.  Seems like a pretty good deal.

https://holeoutgolfshop.com/taylormade-tour-response-practice-golf-balls-3-dozen/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m trying to like this ball but I think I’m getting short iron flyers from fairway now and then.  I never get them from my regular ball, the QST.

The TR is at least as long off the driver, if not longer.  Especially into the wind, I think.

QST is a bit better around the greens but the TR is okay.

Irons are no contest, the TR is long.  But the flyers….

Is anyone else getting flyers?  

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

On 8/4/2022 at 10:07 AM, ishank1 said:

For those interested..... Not sure which particular version these are, but HoleOutGolf has Tour Response practice balls for $18.50 per dozen when purchased in 3 dozen lots.  When I added to my cart to check the shipping cost, there was an option for free shipping.  Seems like a pretty good deal.

https://holeoutgolfshop.com/taylormade-tour-response-practice-golf-balls-3-dozen/

Are these brand new never hit balls?

1 hour ago, Snowman9000 said:

I’m trying to like this ball but I think I’m getting short iron flyers from fairway now and then.  I never get them from my regular ball, the QST.

The TR is at least as long off the driver, if not longer.  Especially into the wind, I think.

Not myself, everything has been nice and predictable 

• Like 1

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

7 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

I played TR last time and it was fine. I played two TR yesterday and I have experienced what you experienced. Only on full shots using irons and my gap wedge. With the around the green shots, it was ok. I will give it a try again this weekend and see what is up.

My buddy just texted me and he had the same experience earlier. 😞 

Edited by msg
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 8:17 PM, msg said:

I played TR last time and it was fine. I played two TR yesterday and I have experienced what you experienced. Only on full shots using irons and my gap wedge. With the around the green shots, it was ok. I will give it a try again this weekend and see what is up.

My buddy just texted me and he had the same experience earlier. 😞 

Yes. Same here. Tried some on home course, Got a few very unexpected 10=15yd+ fliers on my approach over the greens on a few holes. I had the same issue with the old P(a) balls. Not for me.

Edited by Imp
  • Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

On 6/24/2022 at 5:21 PM, vandyfan said:

$40 for 12 Tour Responses (I recommend the ones without the stripe since they are easier to spot in the rough) vs $35 for Q star tour I believe. So paying about 40 cents more per ball. 

In my experience with both it's worth it.  I found the QST about 10 yards shorter than the TaylorMade Tour Response off every club but half wedges.  Also the Tour Response seemed to have a touch more spin.  It's a shame because I prefer the slightly firmer feel of the QST but as a moderate swinger I want every bit of distance I can get, especially off the tee when it could be the difference between approaching with a mid vs short iron/wedge.  

Edited by PhilsFanDrew
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Imp said:

Yes. Same here. Tried some on home course, Got a few very unexpected 10=15yd+ fliers on my approach over the greens on a few holes. I had the same issue with the old P(a) balls. Not for me.

I don't know why and I was sure I did not top the shots as I had divots on all of them and they felt ok off the face of the club. Too bad it cost me more than 4 strokes while playing a tournament and some money lol. Now I am terrified to try them again this weekend. 

• Like 1