US Jr. Am Qualifier

kekoa

Have any of your kids tried to qualify for the AM yet and how did it go?   I know it says you only need a 4.4 index, but I can't imagine you would have even the slightest chance of advancing unless you are a + handicap and at least 15-16 yrs old as most courses play in the 7,000 yard range.   I know some kids who have signed up, but seems like maybe they are going just for the experience. 

If they can play from 7000 yards and shoot a 72 sign em up.  I think it is a great experience.  Almost every qualifier the kids getting in are shooting red numbers.  You are right though if you aren't a + you aren't advancing unless you career it.

My daughter tried to qualify for the US Women's Open twice while in HS just for the experience of playing with pros and college players.  I haven't had the chance to get the boy signed up for a US Open Qualifier as it doesn't work into the schedule.  End of the year with AP classes don't mix along with an already busy May golf schedule.  He did play in the PGA Honda Pre Qualifier. and held his own.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

My only beef with the US Junior is it is the Biggest Event all year for a Junior Golfer.  There is no other event like this National Championship and it is only a 1 day qualifier rather than a 2 day qualifier.

My daughter played in this US Girl's Junior in 2017 at Ridgewood CC in New Jersey.  Have yet to be at another tournament that was run as well as this with an enormous amount of money and effort thrown into the tournament.  The Notah was close, but the venue in the middle of nowhere hurts it.

• Like 1

I don't know what it's like these days, but I qualified twice back in the mid-2000s.

*** Side note - Playing is a USGA event is one of the coolest things you can experince in golf.

Now back to your question... We only had one held in my state growing up. It was usually 50-60 players competing for 1 spot. 1 day event and you played 36 holes. If I remember correctly, I shot 141 one year and made it. I shot 139 the other year I made it and had to go into a playoff that lasted 4 holes (fortunately I came out on top). The one year I didn't make it I shot 145 and finished 1 shot back. 

All that being said, each qualifier is going to be different. Some have more players with more spots available, some have stronger fields, and etc. We always had a bunch of kids come to ours from neighboring states because they assumed that no one was any good in our state. They always left disappointed though once they realized that they probably would have had a better chance staying closer to where they lived and playing in the qualifiers that had multiple spots available. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I don't know what it's like these days, but I qualified twice back in the mid-2000s.

*** Side note - Playing is a USGA event is one of the coolest things you can experience in golf.

Now back to your question... We only had one held in my state growing up. It was usually 50-60 players competing for 1 spot. 1 day event and you played 36 holes. If I remember correctly, I shot 141 one year and made it. I shot 139 the other year I made it and had to go into a playoff that lasted 4 holes (fortunately I came out on top). The one year I didn't make it I shot 145 and finished 1 shot back. 

All that being said, each qualifier is going to be different. Some have more players with more spots available, some have stronger fields, and etc. We always had a bunch of kids come to ours from neighboring states because they assumed that no one was any good in our state. They always left disappointed though once they realized that they probably would have had a better chance staying closer to where they lived and playing in the qualifiers that had multiple spots available. 

100% Agree.  Nothing like playing in the Championship.

The qualifying Spots go be a percentage of participants in the qualifier now and not determined until the field is set.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

The qualifying Spots go be a percentage of participants in the qualifier now and not determined until the field is set.  

Gotcha. It used to be sort of the opposite. They would have the total number of qualifying spots listed and then would limit the size of the field based on that. I think it was approximately 1 spot for every 50 players or something around there. 

Basically you could see how many spots were going to be available before you signed up which was always nice. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kekoa said:

Thanks for the input guys.  In looking at last yrs local qualifier at Bear Creek Golf Club, the lowest score was -2 and a few guys shot even to advance.  I would love to see the look on the faces out there if my 76 lb son showed up to play.  I think we will wait about 3 years.  😜

Boys I know are harder to qualify but I would do it for experience.  I understand though why you would wait if the length is too long and he can't get there in regulation.

The thing with qualifiers is anything can happen and you just never know who is going to have a good day.

• Like 2

My son did the US AM qualifier last year and I think he finished near the middle of the pack.  Lets just put it this way, he won't be getting a letter from the USGA saying not to sign up again.  It was a really fun event that I caddied for him in (not the US Jr AM qual).  He happened to get paired with a current PGA Tour caddie who is a really good player and one of the boys on the USC team who had his buddy from Oregon looping for him.  After the first 18 holes I bought lunch for the college kids and we all hung out chatting about college golf.  I signed him up for the US Jr AM qualifier this year so we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

8 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

My only beef with the US Junior is it is the Biggest Event all year for a Junior Golfer.  There is no other event like this National Championship and it is only a 1 day qualifier rather than a 2 day qualifier.

My daughter played in this US Girl's Junior in 2017 at Ridgewood CC in New Jersey.  Have yet to be at another tournament that was run as well as this with an enormous amount of money and effort thrown into the tournament.  The Notah was close, but the venue in the middle of nowhere hurts it.

It’s crazy that it’s only 18 holes as a qualifier.  Mine made it but it should be 36.  Agree, it’s the best tournament by far I wouldn’t call Notah the 2nd best though.  Rolex events, Ping, Polo, DJ, PGA junior, etc and  probably could name others that are up there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leezer99 said:

My son did the US AM qualifier last year and I think he finished near the middle of the pack.  Lets just put it this way, he won't be getting a letter from the USGA saying not to sign up again.  It was a really fun event that I caddied for him in (not the US Jr AM qual).  He happened to get paired with a current PGA Tour caddie who is a really good player and one of the boys on the USC team who had his buddy from Oregon looping for him.  After the first 18 holes I bought lunch for the college kids and we all hung out chatting about college golf.  I signed him up for the US Jr AM qualifier this year so we'll see how that goes.

How old is your son?

• Like 1

Yes, my son (16 at the time) played in the Boston qualifier last year and missed qualifying by three shots. It was played at George Wright municipal, an old Donald Ross design that was very difficult. Now that we are in Tennessee, playing at a much easier site that the boys play several tournaments on throughout the year. Even par last year was good enough to qualify, down here will definitely have to be in red numbers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jkhogbear said:

It’s crazy that it’s only 18 holes as a qualifier.  Mine made it but it should be 36.  Agree, it’s the best tournament by far I wouldn’t call Notah the 2nd best though.  Rolex events, Ping, Polo, DJ, PGA junior, etc and  probably could name others that are up there. 

Who said the Notah was 2nd best?  

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine always said "The hardest part of winning a USGA event, is getting into a USGA event". 

I have caddied in these in years past for local high school kids (both boys and girls jr qual). The boys is now one day/one round and in the past it was two days/two rounds. I think only once I caddied for 36 in a day for jr am qualifier. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to give Jr Am a shot this year (in TX) but with very low expectations, more for experience. My son is currently 13, 5'4...129lbs, swing speed 105, driver carry 270 if he crushes one. 

He's very good with his 5 wood from 215 so he may need that a lot ha ha!

He's played in TX junior am last year and local TX tours last 2 years. 

• 1 month later...

Had the opportunity to caddy in the qualifier yesterday.  It was a great experience.  Pretty laid back and very well organized.   I can't wait until my son is big and good enough to play in this.  Yardage was about 6,500 yards.  Just a few long par 4's in the 450+ range with some very long par 3's. The kid I caddied for shot +3 and did amazing against some much older and longer kids.   We had even par as a goal but fell just short.

A good friend got medalist at -4 for the tournament.  He is only 14 and played amazing. Super proud of him.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:06 PM, heavy_hitter said:

Truth. So dumb for it to be an 18 hole sprint. The PGA Jr is decided by section and is anything from an 18 hole sprint to a 54 hole marathon. I guess, at least the USGA is consistent

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pinewood Golfer said:

Truth. So dumb for it to be an 18 hole sprint. The PGA Jr is decided by section and is anything from an 18 hole sprint to a 54 hole marathon. I guess, at least the USGA is consistent

Agreed.

Not a fan of how the PGA of America runs theirs either.  Our South Florida Sections is 36 holes.  Issue is how short they play the courses on the tour because it has become more developmental.  Shorter course meaning less of a course rating.  The two day event here was played just a little more than 6600 yards which will most likely result in around a 71 course rating for a Par 72 course.  That isn't good and with CCA with the scores at the event will more than likely have a negative effect.

The North Florida section ran their 36 hole event at 6400 yards.

If they want the best players participating, they need to stretch these course out to 7000 yards.  I mean, the national PGA Championship is going to be played right at 7000 yards.  Right now many of the better players are just skipping this championship.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:20 AM, heavy_hitter said:

Agreed.

Not a fan of how the PGA of America runs theirs either.  Our South Florida Sections is 36 holes.  Issue is how short they play the courses on the tour because it has become more developmental.  Shorter course meaning less of a course rating.  The two day event here was played just a little more than 6600 yards which will most likely result in around a 71 course rating for a Par 72 course.  That isn't good and with CCA with the scores at the event will more than likely have a negative effect.

The North Florida section ran their 36 hole event at 6400 yards.

If they want the best players participating, they need to stretch these course out to 7000 yards.  I mean, the national PGA Championship is going to be played right at 7000 yards.  Right now many of the better players are just skipping this championship.

That’s true. But if the better players sign up then the CR Adjustment will act as its intended. In our section, AJGA put an Open on top of qualifier 30 miles away. So it was a watered down field. Worked out well for my son as he qualified. Yen and Yang. 

I have a question for y’all that came up during a conversation I had with my best friend.  His son qualified this year for the Jr. Am at Bandon.  We were going over the finances for the trip and they are going to be considerable between flights and lodging.  Luckily he can handle it, but I am sure there are some that can’t.  How do kids that might qualify, but can’t afford to go do it?  Are there foundations that can help them out with trip expenses?  I assume you have to be very careful to abide by rules to remain and amateur.

All Ping

1 hour ago, Gawbage_man said:

I have a question for y’all that came up during a conversation I had with my best friend.  His son qualified this year for the Jr. Am at Bandon.  We were going over the finances for the trip and they are going to be considerable between flights and lodging.  Luckily he can handle it, but I am sure there are some that can’t.  How do kids that might qualify, but can’t afford to go do it?  Are there foundations that can help them out with trip expenses?  I assume you have to be very careful to abide by rules to remain and amateur.

USGA has changed the rules to fit the NIL narrative.  It is expensive, but you can get others to cover the expense and doesn't change amateur status.  Club Manufacturers, AJGA have been covering expenses for travel for years.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

USGA has changed the rules to fit the NIL narrative.  It is expensive, but you can get others to cover the expense and doesn't change amateur status.  Club Manufacturers, AJGA have been covering expenses for travel for years.

Even before NIL, AJGA used to reimburse families for travel expenses to the invitationals. It wasn't enough to cover an entire trip, but it was better than nothing.

If I remember correctly it was in the ballpark of $250-500 which in the early-mid 2000s was usually enough to get a decent hotel room for a few nights.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:50 PM, kekoa said:

I'd say because they don't want to see a bunch of parents yelling at their kids while on the bag.  From my experience, it's a great rule.

You're correct on both counts!  My son, 15, played in a US Jr qualifier this week.  A high percentage of the caddies were teens including some younger Jr's who will likely be playing in the qualifier in upcoming years.  I think that's a great scenario.  Junior events with parent caddies can plagued with low morale and slow play.  I've caddied for my son twice over the past year.  Having had the benefit, as a spectator, of watching parents ruin the experience for their kids I just try to behave like a pro caddie......carry the bag, clean the clubs, provide the information and only offer input when asked.  That can be a challenge as a parent but I find the better and more importantly, happier junior golfers to be self reliant and not a puppet for their parents dreams.

• Like 1