St Andrews 2023 Trip

We had our trip planned for 2021 which got cancelled. With the Open there in '22 we are going to try this again for next July '23.

We have 7 guys and a few wives but only 7 golfers.  I know to apply for advanced tee times around August for the Old Course.  My biggest question is what else to book for everyone to enjoy themselves as it will be everyone's first Scotland golf.  We plan to stay the entire 7-8 days in St Andrews and I think plan on taking the train/bus from Edinburgh to SA on arrival. Or is a shuttle/van service a better option.

Now for booking golf.  Has anyone done the 7 day unlimited golf ticket. Guessing with the day length, golfing more than 18 holes is doable for those in our group that want to go back out and play more.  Would we have trouble getting another tee time after our first during July as far as course crowd goes.   I like this option as we don't have to worry about driving and renting a vehicle for that large of a group.  Those that want to golf more can and those that want to explore the town and pubs can. Plus we would be around the entire week to wait in line or enter the 48 hr ballot everyday for the OC if we aren't successful with the advanced tee time.  We would maybe take train one day to play Carnoustie.

Or would we be better off renting vehicles and going to a different drivable course each day in the area?  Guessing this would make the cost of golf go way up as well. 

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Well....the number of golfers is the dilemma.  Say everyone wanted to go play again, the times may be harder to get than a 2some.  Or you would have to break up into smaller groups to join existing tee times...even singles.  Maybe keep an eye on the lads going now to get a sense how the tee times are filling...it's just so busy these days.

I would not rent a vehicle for the whole time based on your current thought process.  You could always find a shuttle driver to take you one or 2 days.  

One option, you could see if you can find a shuttle from the airport, that also does transport to courses if/when you want to go.   But there is nothing wrong with the train as long as you don't mind lugging.

Finally, while you don't have to "book" much to enjoy the sites/sights, you could consider 1) one of the tours through the Fife area 2) book a distillery tour 3) Book one of the St Andrews tours  4) book a Lochness trip if you want to tick that off

the 7 day ticket is excellent value by scottish standards. You'll blow that much just trying to play Kingsbarns. The train is an attractive ride on the right day, just a bit of a faff at both ends. We didnt have any issue playing 36 pre covid in july, Im certain you'll get on somewhere. 

And Loch Ness is a long way away. Theres better attractions much closer, should definitely make time for Edinburgh, great city

5 hours ago, milesgiles said:

the 7 day ticket is excellent value by scottish standards. You'll blow that much just trying to play Kingsbarns. The train is an attractive ride on the right day, just a bit of a faff at both ends. We didnt have any issue playing 36 pre covid in july, Im certain you'll get on somewhere. 

And Loch Ness is a long way away. Theres better attractions much closer, should definitely make time for Edinburgh, great city

Ahh yes..agree, a trip to Edinburgh.  But you don't have to book for that really, unless you get a tour.  

LN is a 3hr trip and these tours have nice stops - coming 2000-6000 miles, it is worth the visit...if into the history.  Being in the UK, it may not be worth it, but travelling that long way it is worth the tour.    Stonehenge is not worth the trip unless coming thousands of miles.

Edited by puttnforthe8

2 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Ahh yes..agree, a trip to Edinburgh.  But you don't have to book for that really, unless you get a tour.  

LN is a 3hr trip and these tours have nice stops - coming 2000-6000 miles, it is worth the visit...if into the history.  Being in the UK, it may not be worth it, but travelling that long way it is worth the tour.    Stonehenge is not worth the trip unless coming thousands of miles.

I get the point but Loch Ness isnt particularly historically important. 

If you do insist on Loch Ness you will need to book one of the sightseeing boats in advance as they do get busy. 

Obviously don't expect manicured perfection on any St Andrews Course except the Castle. I would play that one fairly early on as it's very love hate on WRX, so see if you like it. 

Put some effort into finding and booking the better restaurants in the town, there's a lot of rubbish food there.

Think I'd also have a day trip out of St Andrews in the middle of the week just to try a different golf setting, eg Scottscraig.

1 hour ago, hammersia said:

Put some effort into finding and booking the better restaurants in the town, there's a lot of rubbish food there

What restaurants do you recommend? I love the food in St Andrews, for a small town it has great food!

12 hours ago, lincoln19 said:

We had our trip planned for 2021 which got cancelled. With the Open there in '22 we are going to try this again for next July '23.

We have 7 guys and a few wives but only 7 golfers.  I know to apply for advanced tee times around August for the Old Course.  My biggest question is what else to book for everyone to enjoy themselves as it will be everyone's first Scotland golf.  We plan to stay the entire 7-8 days in St Andrews and I think plan on taking the train/bus from Edinburgh to SA on arrival. Or is a shuttle/van service a better option.

Now for booking golf.  Has anyone done the 7 day unlimited golf ticket. Guessing with the day length, golfing more than 18 holes is doable for those in our group that want to go back out and play more.  Would we have trouble getting another tee time after our first during July as far as course crowd goes.   I like this option as we don't have to worry about driving and renting a vehicle for that large of a group.  Those that want to golf more can and those that want to explore the town and pubs can. Plus we would be around the entire week to wait in line or enter the 48 hr ballot everyday for the OC if we aren't successful with the advanced tee time.  We would maybe take train one day to play Carnoustie.

Or would we be better off renting vehicles and going to a different drivable course each day in the area?  Guessing this would make the cost of golf go way up as well. 

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Edinburgh is the best city in the UK by far!

For accommodation, start thinking now, I own a place(sleeps 4) and we are getting almost full now for this summer, had a booking for this time next year already and we have not been open a month yet! Just need someone to take our Open 10 day block!

The seven day ticket is very good value, obviously there is some good courses to play in St Andrews. St Andrews has such a good atmosphere all year round, just so fun that you can walk everywhere, golf and chill. There is of course far better golf all around the country but for the sounds of it that might be another trip for you guys! This year I have played the Old and New both good fun with the round on the Old being the highlight of my golf this year; I am so glad though that I am a member at Royal Aberdeen and get to play that when I want as it is far better than the other St Andrews courses. Funny was playing on Tuesday and 3 helicopters arrived at Royal Aberdeen and it was 12 golfers from St Andrews who flew up for the afternoon, had a boozy lunch and then went out to play in the cold 25mph wind!

With your plan a car is pointless, I find when I go to St Andrews I park the car and then don't touch it till I leave. If you just want to do Carnoustie then easy no car needed. The bus station in St Andrews is linked to the station so very easy there, lots of accommodations will add on pickup from the station etc.

Oh ye and Loch Ness is good to look at but not worth the drive alone with out doing things up there. Last weekend there was a cycle race around it and wow it looked good in the pics! 

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

My fave restaurants would be

The rogue - good for evenings

The Adamson - good for evenings

The saint - good for evenings

Forgans - really good for lunch

Haar - only been once and was amazing, but priced accordingly! 

The clubhouse is alright as well actually, especially for lunch

The Dolls house - the food is really good, service can be a bit hit and miss

A lot of people rave about jahangir and little Italy, there alright but nothing special

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

41 minutes ago, Superbrit said:

My fave restaurants would be

The rogue - good for evenings

The Adamson - good for evenings

The saint - good for evenings

Forgans - really good for lunch

Haar - only been once and was amazing, but priced accordingly! 

The clubhouse is alright as well actually, especially for lunch

The Dolls house - the food is really good, service can be a bit hit and miss

A lot of people rave about jahangir and little Italy, there alright but nothing special

Interesting, I actually prefer Maisha for Indian and seem to go there most times I am down now for dinner on my lonesome.

Funny I also really like the burger place - Blackthorn burgers, cheap and chill vibe. 

Last time I was down I had Nando's and it was good but it can be found anywhere.

The seafood Restaurante is also very good.

To me little Italy is overpriced but I don't know any one who has had a bad meal!

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

23 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

Interesting, I actually prefer Maisha for Indian and seem to go there most times I am down now for dinner on my lonesome.

Funny I also really like the burger place - Blackthorn burgers, cheap and chill vibe. 

Last time I was down I had Nando's and it was good but it can be found anywhere.

To me little Italy is overpriced but I don't know any one who has had a bad meal!

Yeah went Maisha once and it was better than jahangir

Ive walked passed blackhorn so many times but never been in

Dont do nando's lol

Its always worried me there is a seafood restaurant next to an Aquarium

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

19 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Neither is SH - it's just a bunch of rocks!  🤣

its the equivalent of travelling to London to look at Stonehenge though..

Srs, if you enjoy Fife, book for Inverness the next year, it will cost more but it will make a lot more sense if you are hellbent on Loch Ness

The links ticket will work very well if you have wives to keep happy. It's easy to check what's happening on the day and then make a plan. That said, it will be much easier if you guys break up into at least two separate groups unless you get lucky with prime times. 

Play the Himalayas a few times. I would think the wives would enjoy it as well. Don't shy away from the Eden. It's a good course you can get around quickly. 

Don't bother renting a car for the week. You can get cabs or driver service for the day if need be. It might be worthwhile doing just this to see the East Neuk villages. Can also take the bus. There is a cool 9 holer in Anstruther, which is a pleasant town to wander about for an hour or so. If you are looking to play a cool course out of town try Elie. Maybe if the cricket is on try to play that day then watch the cricket on the beach from the pub nearby. 

The golf museum is pretty good on a rainy day or to kill an hour or two. 

Spend a few days at the end of the trip in Edinburgh. 

• 11 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 5:49 AM, scott_Donald said:

Anyone have an email address or good phone number for Little Italy?  I tried the number on their website, but it was not working from the U.S.  We're looking to make a reservation for this August.

2 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

Anyone have an email address or good phone number for Little Italy?  I tried the number on their website, but it was not working from the U.S.  We're looking to make a reservation for this August.

The number on their website should be correct. That is the number I called while in Scotland. If calling from the US, try +441334479299. Typically I've found the zero in the beginning needs to be left out when calling from the US. 

• Like 2