Advice needed to hit a high draw with Driver...

I'm aware of the D plane principles: swinging up aims clubface left and down clubface right.

I play a fade.  Can play fade and draws with any club but driver.  I can hit down or level with slightly closed face and play a draw, but can't hit the high draw bomb with driver and wanna learn it as high fade is easy and my go to...

What formula you guys using that like to hit high draw?  I'm not as comfortable swinging from the inside and up on the ball for the high draw bomb, either curves too much or goes straight.

Edited by Barfolomew

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Potentially slightly more inside on the backswing. 

Potentially later set in the backswing.

Smooth, smooth transition. 

Keep back to target as long as you can in the downswing.

Chase the clubhead down the line big time. You want to feel like you really extend the arms after impact. 

Stay back - don't hang back on the trail leg, but have the upper body feel like it stays back. I think this is secondary tilt...you want the head to not move toward the target AT ALL

• Like 1

You really don't have to change your swing. In fact, you shouldn't, because that's just going to add more unnecessary variables. Just use ballflight laws:

Ball more forward- I mean at your lead shoulder. This promotes hitting up, which will launch the ball higher. Tee it higher, too.

Because you're hitting up more, your path will be more to the left. To counteract this, pull your trail foot back and let your shoulders close. This will aim you more right, so get used to that.

Open the face a touch, which will start the ball right. Depending on your path, you may have to experiment with this one.

That should give you a nice high push draw.

• Like 1

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

1 minute ago, Barfolomew said:

No my shots certainly dont lol

There is a reason the driver is inherently hard to draw, especially when you want to hit up on it. You need to shift swing direction well to the right to hit up on it and still have an in to out path.  The fade with driver is so popular on tour for a reason

3 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

There is a reason the driver is inherently hard to draw, especially when you want to hit up on it. You need to shift swing direction well to the right to hit up on it and still have an in to out path.  The fade with driver is so popular on tour for a reason

I get what you're sayin.... one big issue is I hold face closed at top of backswing and hold that sucker square the whole swing with a strong grip.... so not really rotating... so if I try and rotate I way over cook it with no control.  So I need to hold off and still draw lol.... maybe closed face at set up and hold off lol ? 

Edited by Barfolomew

5 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

Hit 3-wood. I notice a lot of players on tour struggle with turning the driver over, especially if their normal shot is a fade. If they have to turn the ball right to left, a lot of them will hit 3-wood. 

I can already do that but wanna learn driver high bomb

6 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

I get what you're sayin.... one big issue is I hold face closed at top of backswing and hold that sucker square the whole swing with a strong grip.... so not really rotating... so if I try and rotate I way over cook it with no control.  So I need to hold off and still draw lol.... maybe closed face at set up and hold off lol ? 

I really don't think you do if you are still talking about the face.

Everyone feels different things.  If I want to hit the high shot, I move the ball forward and tee it a bit higher.  If I want to hit a fade I focus on turning my body hard through the shot.  If I want to hit a draw I just slow my body turn down a bit.  It may not work for you as I am sure many other things are happening in the geometry of my swing, but that is what I feel.

• Like 1

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash Star Hybrid JDM 26* - Speeder Evolution S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

20 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

You guys are good 🙂 

I'm just trying to hit fairways with one ball flight.  

I can hit the shot shape.....I didn't say it was necessarily going to land in the fairway.  🙃

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash Star Hybrid JDM 26* - Speeder Evolution S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

I set up for a draw and make sure the ball goes high. The key for me is to hit the ball slightly towards the toe.  My risk/goal in the PR is to go for trajectory; not ball speed. 

If it works it is a fantastic shot but if it fails the the outcome is highly unpredictable.

Great to practice but I am simply not good enough to execute the shot consistently.

Edited by baudi

High draw is my natural shot shape for all my clubs.  In order to truly hit one, you need to have positive AoA and swing in to out ala Rory.  Having the ball more towards the front of your stance will also help close the face as well and give you more room to hit up on it.  Beware though, if done incorrectly it can turn into a vicious hook. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/9/2022 at 6:23 AM, phizzy30 said:

High draw is my natural shot shape for all my clubs.  In order to truly hit one, you need to have positive AoA and swing in to out ala Rory.  Having the ball more towards the front of your stance will also help close the face as well and give you more room to hit up on it.  Beware though, if done incorrectly it can turn into a vicious hook. 

Your HOOK warning killed this thread.

Why would you want to hit a high draw if it's not your natural shot?  Why not just play your natural shot?  If your stock shot is a fade, lean on that.  No sense in trying to hit a high draw and bringing a block wide right or duck hook into play if you don't have to.  For every high draw you pull off, you will most likely hit one of the bad.  How many times do you see tour players try to work the ball and get themselves into trouble because it didn't go how they planned?  

Think of it this way.....let's say you hit a high draw and pull it off perfectly.  You set yourself up for par or birdie at best.  Now let's say you don't pull it off and block it or hook it way left....Now you easily bring bogey or worse into play. At best, the results are net 0...at worst, you are costing yourself a shot or two. 

• Like 1

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

My tips might sound a little unconventional, but for me they tend to work if I can commit to the shot. 

Close your stance by dropping your back foot back by about one golf ball. You HAVE to make sure your hips and shoulders are aligned a hair closed too. The guys who struggle to draw it with driver the most almost ALWAYS have their shoulders more open than their feet at address when they set up to hit a draw. If your shoulders are open at address, good luck.

Grip it lightly - or at least lighter than you think you have to. When my grip gets too tight, I get tense and spin out of the shot and hit a pull cut. It often works out ok, but not particularly helpful if your goal is to hit a high draw. I find that your hands will have a much easier time squaring up the face in relation to the path with lighter grip pressure. 

If your problem is getting path in to out, you may be spinning out of the shot. Try feeling like your back stays pointed to the target an extra half second. Be sure to do this on the driving range before trying it on the course. If I'm trying to make the adjustment on the golf course, I try to feel this in the smallest increment possible so as not to totally throw myself off. 

Let the club release naturally, think "swinging" rather than "hitting." If you rehearse a draw feel in your practice swings, just try your best to put that swing on the golf ball and forget it's even there.

While it's true that having the ball up in your stance helps with the "high" component of a high draw, I think you're better off in general having it a bit back of your left foot, maybe a ball or two. If you picture the arc of your swing around your body, the club should already be going left by the time it gets to the ball if it's in the front of your stance. If it's a little further back, you're more likely to start the ball out to the right without manipulating your swing much. It also helps if you're standing one ball further away from the ball than you usually would, but make sure to do this consistently. Best of luck.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 12:31 PM, ferrispgm said:

Why would you want to hit a high draw if it's not your natural shot?  Why not just play your natural shot?  If your stock shot is a fade, lean on that.  No sense in trying to hit a high draw and bringing a block wide right or duck hook into play if you don't have to.  For every high draw you pull off, you will most likely hit one of the bad.  How many times do you see tour players try to work the ball and get themselves into trouble because it didn't go how they planned?  

Think of it this way.....let's say you hit a high draw and pull it off perfectly.  You set yourself up for par or birdie at best.  Now let's say you don't pull it off and block it or hook it way left....Now you easily bring bogey or worse into play. At best, the results are net 0...at worst, you are costing yourself a shot or two. 

Cause once figured out... Bobs your uncle

Your point is true if your playin in qualifying or big tourneys and can't learn to hit the high draw and need best score today.... but it's just a game so give it a go

• Barfolomew changed the title to Advice needed to hit a high draw with Driver...