Miura MC-502

T_Golf_23

1 minute ago, Inglewood said:

Beautiful sticks...glad to hear you love them!  Makes me want to give mine another try...ha!  There is no better looking iron out there at current...thats for sure.

For me, having the majority of the club mass behind the ball, I found that my ball speed was more much consistent. What were you finding you were struggling with when you were gaming them? 

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Well, I have not officially played a round with the 502s...just light sim and range duty.  Having demo'd some i230/JPX 923 forged/ZX5 and 7 irons, they are all longer for me - the pings consistently the straightest of the bunch.  Like I mentioned earlier, I ended last season around a 12 hccp so just not there yet for the 502s.  

The miuras win in terms of looks appeal and look WAY better behind the ball (and in the bag) than any of the aforementioned.  If I was a single digit, I would be bagging these for years to come.

Edited by Inglewood

5 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

Well, I have not officially played a round with the 502s...just light sim and range duty.  Having demo'd some i230/JPX 923 forged/ZX5 and 7 irons, they are all longer for me - the pings consistently the straightest of the bunch.  Like I mentioned earlier, I ended last season around a 12 hccp so just not there yet for the 502s.  

The miuras win in terms of looks appeal and look WAY better behind the ball (and in the bag) than any of the aforementioned.  If I was a single digit, I would be bagging these for years to come.

Why not play a few rounds with them before deciding? It may not shave strokes off your score but as long as you're not scoring way worse play what you like the most. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

These very well can be the shortest of the ones listed as there is no tech and weaker lofts. How is the front to back dispersion though between them all? The Miura’s might not be the longest, but in golf it’s all about the misses. I’ll take a club that’s 9 yards shorter if the front to back dispersion is much tighter.

If you were me, you’ll regret selling the clubs the second they leave the garage. As Miura doesn’t turn club designs over but every 4-5 years, keep the 502’s and continue to work to get better and better so one day you can bag them. You’ve already said you love the look behind the ball and in the bag…just work on the game to make that a reality. 

• Like 2

Thought about it...trusting my gut from side by side sim comparisons at this point.  Enamored at the moment with i230 consistency plus forgiveness.  I played 501s last year and didnt get any better throughout the year...briefly went back to MP 225s but they had IO shafts in them when I really needed LZ so if I didnt swing at 70% it overpowered them.  Plus they looked really chunky coming off the miuras all season, so I unloaded them a few months back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

Thought about it...trusting my gut from side by side sim comparisons at this point.  Enamored at the moment with i230 consistency plus forgiveness.  I played 501s last year and didnt get any better throughout the year...briefly went back to MP 225s but they had IO shafts in them when I really needed LZ so if I didnt swing at 70% it overpowered them.  Plus they looked really chunky coming off the miuras all season, so I unloaded them a few months back.

Totally fair! Go with what you think will allow you to shoot as low as possible. Miura’s will always be here for you to come home to! 

Anyone that has played the MC 501/502 lines also had a chance to hit the KM700s?  Miura touts them as a "revolutionary club head design that will benefit golfers of all levels"...would be curious to hear feedback, as I don't think they will be available to demo locally when they're backordered until mid summer at this point.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:10 PM, Inglewood said:

Anyone that has played the MC 501/502 lines also had a chance to hit the KM700s?  Miura touts them as a "revolutionary club head design that will benefit golfers of all levels"...would be curious to hear feedback, as I don't think they will be available to demo locally when they're backordered until mid summer at this point.

I just received my KM-700 order (just one range session prior) and have a 502 demo 7 iron in my possession so compared them head to head tonight for a bucket before the rain rolled through. For context, I'm 5 hcp and decent ballstriker (played TC-201s last year). For the looks, 502 definitely wins with its shorter blade length and offset, I also liked the rounded toe more than I anticipated. KM-700 still looks great but I also grew up playing 690.MB and later MP-5 so I haven't been averse to it historically. It's not overly offensive by any means but it's definitely there. I did however, have some trouble with the offset performance-wise. For some reason I couldn't stop hitting fades (and the occasional wild slice) with the KM-700 while with the MC-502 I was working more of my typical push draw. Really strange and if anything would've figured more of a left miss. Distance was fairly similar on center hits, I actually managed another 2-3 yards out of the 502 I'm assuming because of the positioning of the mass. Re: forgiveness around the face, KM-700 was clearly better on off-center hits given the longer blade length (about on par with TC-201), it consistently launched higher, and the turf interaction was consistent and forgiving (I'm around -2.5* with 7-iron). 502 was moderately forgiving, I would say slightly less than the MP-5 for those that have experience there. Curious if that holds true for the long irons. I will say though that when struck pure, the 502 was in a league of its own and just cut through the turf perfectly. Unreal feel (much better than 201 and 700 IMO) to the point I'm going to think about it some more. Probably will be selling the KM-700 in any case.   

Edited by dmasix1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dmasix1 said:

I just received my KM-700 order (just one range session prior) and have a 502 demo 7 iron in my possession so compared them head to head tonight for a bucket before the rain rolled through. For context, I'm 5 hcp and decent ballstriker (played TC-201s last year). For the looks, 502 definitely wins with its shorter blade length and offset, I also liked the rounded toe more than I anticipated. KM-700 still looks great but I also grew up playing 690.MB and later MP-5 so I haven't been averse to it historically. It's not overly offensive by any means but it's definitely there. I did however, have some trouble with the offset performance-wise. For some reason I couldn't stop hitting fades (and the occasional wild slice) with the KM-700 while with the MC-502 I was working more of my typical push draw. Really strange and if anything would've figured more of a left miss. Distance was fairly similar on center hits, I actually managed another 2-3 yards out of the 502 I'm assuming because of the positioning of the mass. Re: forgiveness around the face, KM-700 was clearly better on off-center hits given the longer blade length (about on par with TC-201), it consistently launched higher, and the turf interaction was consistent and forgiving (I'm around -2.5* with 7-iron). 502 was moderately forgiving, I would say slightly less than the MP-5 for those that have experience there. Curious if that holds true for the long irons. I will say though that when struck pure, the 502 was in a league of its own and just cut through the turf perfectly. Unreal feel (much better than 201 and 700 IMO) to the point I'm going to think about it some more. Probably will be selling the KM-700 in any case.   

Same shafts in both?  Just curious…thanks for the feedback!

I've only hit my new 201/502 combo set once outside and twice in the sim.  I'm loving these irons- the look at address and the feel are incredible.  I went back to Steelfiber 125's in these and love it.  I was playing $ Tapers and they were great but my elbow issues came back and decided to give the Steelfibers a try again to help with that.  

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9x
Miura TC201 4-6 & MC502 7-PW with Steelfiber 125x
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS $ Taper S Flex
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

Just now, Inglewood said:

Maybe alone in this unpopular opinion…and about to say something potentially “gross”…but the minor offset and longer blade in the KM700 actually suit my eye better than the 502.  I can only attribute it to the fact that I played 501s last season and am used to that look.

Not alone. I prefer the 700 to the 502. Looks alone as of now. My 700s are maybe 3-4 weeks out still. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Inglewood said:

Same shafts in both?  Just curious…thanks for the feedback!

PX LS in the 700 and X100 in the 502 but both are shafts I fit well into and have plenty of experience with (in fittings the numbers have been neck and neck across different heads). The offset on the 700 really isn't that bad, it's definitely a more confidence inspiring club than the 502 but visually 502 is just stunning at address. If you're interested in the 700 shoot me a PM!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Checking in since I just registered on GolfWRX and am a huge fan of Miura - I have the 502 and 201s at the moment, and absolutely love both. 

Generally play the 201 off shorter winter grass, where it's often muddy or the ground is frozen and rock solid because of the added forgiveness, and the 502 in more optimal conditions. 

Both are spectacular irons. I'm basically half a club shorter with Miura than my old sets (Titleists, PXGs etc), but Miuras tend to be a bit weak as is, and it also helps me because I make a mental note to always hit a club higher than the distance and go softer/shorter on the swing. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 11:09 AM, pearls24 said:

I've only hit my new 201/502 combo set once outside and twice in the sim.  I'm loving these irons- the look at address and the feel are incredible.  I went back to Steelfiber 125's in these and love it.  I was playing $ Tapers and they were great but my elbow issues came back and decided to give the Steelfibers a try again to help with that.  

I’m thinking about doing almost the exact same setup with Modus 105s. Curious how you like the split set with 201s for long irons? Was struggling to tell if they actually have me any additional forgiveness/distance to warrant adding them for long irons?

appreciate the insight 

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ksf87 said:

Currently on the fence of getting a set of Miura MC502s 4-PW with DG120 X100. Anyone has experience on how they compare to the Mizuno Pro 221? Any noticeable differences e.g. in terms of forgiveness? 

thanks! 

Very similar in terms of offset/profile/forgiveness.  Havent owned the 221 but hit them plenty in the sim...

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 12:25 PM, KingTitus said:

Built up my new set of 502's yesterday and just took them for the maiden range session. Oh man are these things money. Thinner sole, higher CG and mass in the center of the face vs perimeter in my 201's were all positives. Ball speed on average between the 502's and 201's was about 2mph more for the 502's. Also 502's offer a softer feel overall which is something I love!

502's made up with LA Golf 120 TX flex shafts (6 flex, limited run set) with BB&F white lighting ferrules and golf pride z grips. IMG_0473.jpg.b1baff0a3c15c547865bb125bfd4d1d3.jpgIMG_0474.jpg.335fb9140e25047c95bfaed6cb2f165d.jpg

Still playing this heavenly setup ? 

2 hours ago, endy said:

Still playing this heavenly setup ? 

Have them in the bag but building up a set of zx7 mkii with dog X7’s to see which is better. Unfortunately spinning the lights out of the long irons in the 502’s 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 12:47 PM, KingTitus said:

Have them in the bag but building up a set of zx7 mkii with dog X7’s to see which is better. Unfortunately spinning the lights out of the long irons in the 502’s 

Curious what the verdict was? Also curious what you thought of the zx7 vs the 502 heads in general. 

1 hour ago, endy said:

Curious what the verdict was? Also curious what you thought of the zx7 vs the 502 heads in general. 

ZX7 mkii are firmly in the bag. More ball speed, less spin and more forgiveness in the longer irons. The numbers are very similar for me from 7 to PW but I’m seeing a spin separation in the 6 to 4. Bent the MC’s stronger even to see if I could get the spin down a bit but that didn’t help. I’m curious if I tend to strike the mc’s higher in the head in the longer irons due to the sole design hence the loss of ball speed and added spin. I used to be very shallow with my irons, like neutral to 1 down with my AOA (thanks baseball), but am now more like 3-4 down as I’ve worked on my move. The Miura’s seemed to start spinning more for me the steeper my AOA has gotten, hence why I think I’m living higher up the face. 

Currently have the heads pulled off my srixons though as the X7’s are fantastic when I’m fully warm but on the days the body is clicking on all cylinders, they feel like Thor’s hammer. Throwing some PVD $-Taper 130’s in them so we’ll see how this experiment goes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 1:14 AM, Yankees18 said:

went to see fitter because I needed a heavier shaft in my 201s I got 1.5 years ago and really liked. I also tried the 501s at that time and was like meh don’t need help with launch 

he wanted me to hit the 502 just to see and oh my goodness what a difference. 2mph faster ball speed on a 6 iron and the feel was INCREDIBLE. changed my shaft from modus 120x to $ taper 130

hit the mb101 afterwards and was like meh I could see why people like it but much more solid / hard vs the 502 the was powerful / soft 

to me the 502 is much softer in and around the sweet spot.  The 201 to me was more harsh.  Gaming them, I never knew if I caught it flush or missed it slightly because it just seemed like the feel wasn’t super rewarding on the 201s. Not the case with the 502s.  If I had to guess the sweet spot is larger on the 502s 

Probably going to have the 201s up on BST to upgrade 

I have a set of 201s but moved to the 502. What you said is entirely correct, and while I also find the 201 to be very buttery in the impact, the 502 gives me so much more control on very hard and fast greens. I am not afraid to shoot for the green from just about any distance

On 5/26/2023 at 9:41 AM, KingTitus said:

ZX7 mkii are firmly in the bag. More ball speed, less spin and more forgiveness in the longer irons. The numbers are very similar for me from 7 to PW but I’m seeing a spin separation in the 6 to 4. Bent the MC’s stronger even to see if I could get the spin down a bit but that didn’t help. I’m curious if I tend to strike the mc’s higher in the head in the longer irons due to the sole design hence the loss of ball speed and added spin. I used to be very shallow with my irons, like neutral to 1 down with my AOA (thanks baseball), but am now more like 3-4 down as I’ve worked on my move. The Miura’s seemed to start spinning more for me the steeper my AOA has gotten, hence why I think I’m living higher up the face. 

Currently have the heads pulled off my srixons though as the X7’s are fantastic when I’m fully warm but on the days the body is clicking on all cylinders, they feel like Thor’s hammer. Throwing some PVD $-Taper 130’s in them so we’ll see how this experiment goes.

edit: 🤦‍♂️ working back wards see you were using these almost exact shafts.  For others out there needing to drop spin these are worth testing 

Have you tried LA golf L series shafts?  I was in club champion doing wood fitting and was messing around at the end.  Was spinning the 502s with $ taper 130s too much.  Knocked off 600rpms and picked up 10+ yards of distance with the shaft swap in the 6 iron

Not sure I want to drop 2k to reshaft the 502s but the numbers were so much better i might bite the bullet.

im around 100-102 ss with a 6 iron 

Edited by Yankees18
  • Like 1