Pure Pro vs Star Sidewinder Grips

scotty_2987

1 hour ago, jleonard711 said:

Wow, that was fast - just 4 days from ordering to installed on your clubs! Curious, did you do the tapeless installation or traditional tape & solvent?

I definitely like the looks of the red grip on the KBS shafts. I'm a fan myself of color coordinating shafts & grips, just adds that extra special touch to the overall look of the clubs. 

I use an air compressor to install. It’s super easy and can take them on and off in seconds. Yeah I’m going to have to order more red ones. I thought I would be going with the gray on the irons but after I put that red on I was hooked. 

On 10/31/2022 at 6:16 AM, scotty_2987 said:

Thanks guys for the replies. From what I’m seeing I think I will like the Star grips better.  I’m going to attach a few photos to show what I’m talking about. As you can see you can put pressure on the pure grips and the butt end squishes in. But you can see with the iomic and new decade when you put pressure on the butt end they don’t move at all. I can’t stand that mushy feeling with the Pures. It’s almost like they aren’t seated all the way but they are. Just wondering if anyone else ever noticed that or am I the only crazy one lol. 

91030859-4DFF-438C-AA41-72EEE2ED1B52.jpeg

EBB3E5AE-D6F8-468B-8740-B7AF4F56B925.jpeg

DF9CFEE4-0F4C-4DE0-A1CF-0E093A935DBE.jpeg

F1CBFF15-8C6A-4C2A-B6B0-C11C8335A1B7.jpeg

I don't like any squish at the cap either.  It makes it hard to feel where the top of the grip is.  With a traditional firm cap, there's an edge feel there, allowing a point of reference for gripping it a little long or short

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

I don't like any squish at the cap either.  It makes it hard to feel where the top of the grip is.  With a traditional firm cap, there's an edge feel there, allowing a point of reference for gripping it a little long or short

Yes, thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only one that felt this way. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cristphoto said:

How do these grips compare to the Royal Perf-Wrap grips?  My only complaint with the Royals is they feel a bit smaller in diameter than other grips. I recall the Royals used to last MUCH longer than most other grips.  Since Golfworks purchased Royal they are the only place they are available.  

Fun fact: I recently learned that Star Grip actually makes the Royal Perf Wraps for Golfworks! That would explain why they last so long, as Star grips are known for their longevity. As for the size, the Sidewinder is definitely what I would consider somewhat of a reduced taper grip, not nearly as thin as the Royal Perf Wrap especially on the lower hand. 

On 11/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, cristphoto said:

How do these grips compare to the Royal Perf-Wrap grips?  My only complaint with the Royals is they feel a bit smaller in diameter than other grips. I recall the Royals used to last MUCH longer than most other grips.  Since Golfworks purchased Royal they are the only place they are available.  

I have played the Royal Perf Wraps for 2+ years and just installed Star Sidewinders on my backup set, so I can compare directly. The Wraps do have a smaller diameter in the top hand and also taper more. So the Sidewinder is larger across the board, but it isn’t by a huge amount. The firmness of the rubber feels very very similar between them. Both are incredibly good grips.

A128CE58-ACCB-432C-97D8-FD88A1F4FB7B.jpeg

Edited by RolandofGilead
Add pic

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

3 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

I have played the Royal Perf Wraps for 2+ years and just installed Star Sidewinders on my backup set, so I can compare directly. The Wraps do have a smaller diameter in the top hand and also taper more. So the Sidewinder is larger across the board, but it isn’t by a huge amount. The firmness of the rubber feels very very similar between them. Both are incredibly good grips.

Thanks. I just ordered a set of Sidewinders. 

Sidewinders are brilliant, great value for money, love'm. Have them in my driver shafts with 4 wraps. Very durable.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

On 11/2/2022 at 12:49 AM, rbpwrx said:

I used to wholesale Stars, and I use them on all my clubs. I'd never use any other grip. I've tried them all, and there is no comparison. They last forever, they are tacky forever, and they have, for me, an excellent combination of firmness and suppleness. I use Sidewinder midsize most often, but also like the Classic Wrap, especially on wedges. Also have the Tour Wrap oversize on a set or two, but that's a heavy grip, and large. I use it as a training aid. But these grips are the sh*t. No one knows about them, and they don't promote them. But they are the best grips you can buy, IMHO. And they're cheap. Basically tire rubber for your hands. Simple. Brilliant. And not at all 'mushy.' Recommended, obviously 🙂

After reading through these posts I ordered a set of Star Sidewinders. I just received them this morning.  Haven't put them on yet but they have a very nice look and feel to them - almost a luxurious touch.  Tacky, but not sticky if that makes any sense. Looking closely at them there doesn't appear to be a seam anywhere, thus the little indents provide 100% coverage.  I'll re-grip a couple this morning and later today give them a try.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

After reading through these posts I ordered a set of Star Sidewinders. I just received them this morning.  Haven't put them on yet but they have a very nice look and feel to them - almost a luxurious touch.  Tacky, but not sticky if that makes any sense. Looking closely at them there doesn't appear to be a seam anywhere, thus the little indents provide 100% coverage.  I'll re-grip a couple this morning and later today give them a try.  

That's been my impression of all the Star grips I've used off and on over the years. The material feels nice, it's super durable and cleans easily (which I consider important) and the construction is consistently excellent. 

If they didn't have a slightly different size and taper that somehow doesn't suit me (after decades of using Golf Pride grips) that's what I'd use on all my clubs. The Sidewinder aren't much different than Tour Velvet but the various Tour Wrap style options have a funky taper.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, RolandofGilead said:

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, golfschnell said:

I wish Star would marry their plus four tour wrap grip with the sidewinder indentations, that would b just about the perfect grip for me particularly at their price point.

Totally agree, and have suggested to them, along with a midsize offering in the Tour Star. They've said they will consider. We'll see...

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte