What is the benefit of using a wedge instead of P or G from the iron set?

jpark0221

I am playing to an 8 right now, and my short game is the largest part of it.  If you like to open a wedge around greens, or focus on how the bounce interacts with the turf, you need specialty wedges with bounce options.  I have tried numerous bounces in real turf practice, and they truly do change what I can do and mask flaws in my swing. I have a 58 for every shot inside of 85 yards, but also a 54 with more heel grind so that I can play the ball off tighter lies. I do lose consistency with off center hits on full swings with the 54, but I can't give up the versatility that the grind gives me.  It have tried to hit super improvement wedges, like the CBX, but they are impossible to lay flat open.  That wide sole and large amount of bounce is amazing on full swings though; like dummy proof.  Bottom line: if you aren't opening wedges, there is no reason to play a blade style wedge, IMHO.

• Like 2

Aaron Dill claims the Vokey PW is less likely to get a flier out of the rough, which is enough for me. On top of that, it spins like a top. I've been playing the 46 bent to 45, and its great 130 - 145 depending how much you put into it. 

The trick I've found to playing the Vokey PW is to have your iron shaft on there, not the S400 stuff on the rest of most wedges (at least Vokeys). 

5 minutes ago, Samuel Cosby said:

Aaron Dill claims the Vokey PW is less likely to get a flier out of the rough, which is enough for me. On top of that, it spins like a top. I've been playing the 46 bent to 45, and its great 130 - 145 depending how much you put into it. 

The trick I've found to playing the Vokey PW is to have your iron shaft on there, not the S400 stuff on the rest of most wedges (at least Vokeys). 

That's not a bad idea.  I might have to look into getting my 54* shafted to match.

1 hour ago, evilelf said:

I am playing to an 8 right now, and my short game is the largest part of it.  If you like to open a wedge around greens, or focus on how the bounce interacts with the turf, you need specialty wedges with bounce options.  I have tried numerous bounces in real turf practice, and they truly do change what I can do and mask flaws in my swing. I have a 58 for every shot inside of 85 yards, but also a 54 with more heel grind so that I can play the ball off tighter lies. I do lose consistency with off center hits on full swings with the 54, but I can't give up the versatility that the grind gives me.  It have tried to hit super improvement wedges, like the CBX, but they are impossible to lay flat open.  That wide sole and large amount of bounce is amazing on full swings though; like dummy proof.  Bottom line: if you aren't opening wedges, there is no reason to play a blade style wedge, IMHO.

What 54/58 wedges, grinds etc, are you playing?

Sam burns witb is one that always pops up in my mind as why playing a matching set gw/aw makes sense. I thought there was an article a bit back on the idea/reason why as well. I think it makes a lot of sense and then have two specialty wedges in the sw and lw that have different grinds. That is what I find works well for me at least!

• Like 1

I used to play a 48* vokey, bc I ordered my 690.mb as a 2-9 set rather than 3-pw.  I've since gone back to a matching pw but reading this thread am reconsidering it.  I now recall a mindset aspect to it, where you go into "wedge striking" mode vs. "iron striking", if that makes any sense, more feel-oriented.

Edited by AlohaPineapple

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

1 hour ago, 055 said:

What 54/58 wedges, grinds etc, are you playing?

My go-to is a 58* SM6 with a K grind.  All that bounce allows me to slap the ground a inch or two behind the ball, instead of trying to catch the ball perfect.  My margin of error on pitches is HUGE.

I use a 54* SM6 with an M grind for tighter lies and it shines in compact or wet bunkers.

Subscribing to Stan Utley's Art of the Short Game has transformed my short game to nothing short of fantastic.  After my first read, I purchased 4 grinds in the same 58* club used from eBay.  I took those out to a field and focused on the turf interaction.  The difference is quite astonishing.  Essentially, it was my own wedge fitting.

That is great info I will check it out thanks. I have a 54 and 58 SM8. Both D grinds. I feel like I either skull them of slide right under them, and not enough in between when I try to use the bounce. I just do not hit them well (it is me and lack of enough practice of course). I do play very well out of decent bunkers, but I always have.  I feel like the leading edge sits up too much if the face is open at all.

2 minutes ago, 055 said:

That is great info I will check it out thanks. I have a 54 and 58 SM8. Both D grinds. I feel like I either skull them of slide right under them, and not enough in between when I try to use the bounce. I just do not hit them well (it is me and lack of enough practice of course). I do play very well out of decent bunkers, but I always have.  I feel like the leading edge sits up too much if the face is open at all.

I want to get a D grind badly.  I feel that most players, even decent ones, don't truly understand how the wedge is supposed to work on pitch shots.  They end up making the game much harder than it needs to be, simply by not knowing the correct technique or what they are attempting to accomplish at impact.  If you are opening the face of that D grind and still skulling some shots, I would guess that your angle of attack is not down enough.  Get all the weight on your front foot and make sure to keep it there.  I practice, hell even play some gamer shots, with just one leg.  I drag my back foot backwards and put it on my its toe to prevent myself from swaying.

A drill I love to do: Off of tight fairway lies, take pitch shots with an open face, testing how back I can strike the ground and still slide under the ball.  I am amazed how much back I can this. Sometimes, as far back as 3-4 inches.

• Like 1

... Finding myself with lots of 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots on my home course, I went to a matching MG3 46* wedge. My MIM wedge was good, but I just had better control with my 50* MG3 than my MIM Tour set wedge. I also play a set of '22 Forged Tecs occasionally and struggled a little with that set wedge. Playing my Z Forged about once every other month the MB set wedge worked great. Now the MG3 46* works well with all 3 sets.

... I play a short par 3 that only plays 105-125 yds and is like hitting to a VW Bug roof and has false sides all the way around the green with the exception of the very back. Well hit shots within 3 feet of the pin can roll off leaving a difficult chip. And it is always at least a little windy when the rest of the course is calm so controlling my trajectory and distance is essential. Most of the time I am aiming at a spot close to the middle but even then a front pin can leave a difficult downhill breaking putt that can easily roll off the green. It really is a diabolical hole but so short it is crazy difficult but fair. I would not say this hole is the only reason I made the switch but it played a huge role in my decision.  

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Ideally, I would like to get a matching cavity back for my 54* and only pull out the M grind when bunkers were poor or we are in a drought, but since Covid, all the public course bunkers have gone to pot.  I am also being lazy and just want to have my set configured and leave it alone.  I do tend to leave my 54* blade short occasionally with full shots.  It's an either or proposition for me. What's more important, forgiveness or versatility?

For same set wedges, I'd say consistent look at address, same/similar flighting ability as other irons, consistent progression based on lofts, CoG, etc.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

3 hours ago, jb640042 said:

I think it makes a lot of sense and then have two specialty wedges in the sw and lw that have different grinds. That is what I find works well for me at least!

Agree.  My new T100s set includes an iron called 48' Wedge, LOL, then comes SM9 F52/12' and SM9 M58/8.  I call my 52 SW and 58 LW.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

33 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Agree.  My new T100s set includes an iron called 48' Wedge, LOL, then comes SM9 F52/12' and SM9 M58/8.  I call my 52 SW and 58 LW.

I think that's what kind I have. Originally stopped at the wedge and I used Vokeys from 50° onwards.

I replaced the Vokey 50° with the optional 48° set cavity as there was too much of a gap from the PW to the Vokey. I almost feel like if I have the set PW at 44° I'd need a Vokey at 46°.

Now I have a 53° and 58° to round out the set.

For me, it's about how the P or G/A set wedges blend into the 50/56/60 "specialty" wedges.  First off I don't like chunky clubs to begin with, but that PW has to look like it could belong with the other wedges. Not a problem with my current set because they are blades to begin with, but when I was playing Mizuno MP64s that PW looked like a shovel compared to my other wedges so I would add a 46° to take it's place.

I don't personally feel bounce options are that much of a thing in a 46/45 or whatever wedge because it's more of a full shot wedge than the rest.

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

11 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

I think that's what kind I have. Originally stopped at the wedge and I used Vokeys from 50° onwards.

I replaced the Vokey 50° with the optional 48° set cavity as there was too much of a gap from the PW to the Vokey. I almost feel like if I have the set PW at 44° I'd need a Vokey at 46°.

Now I have a 53° and 58° to round out the set.

I have T200 2i and 4i, then T100s 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW(44'), W(48') then SM9 52, SM9 58

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I prefer playing specialized wedges for spin and launch control in wet/damp conditions. 

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

If you’re going to use it for full shots, the set wedges are far more forgiving but the bounces will vary compared to specialty wedges that have a variety of options. As a high spin player, I prefer to have the gap wedge in my i210 set and then specialty sand and gap wedges. Find no issue playing bump and run type chips with the set gap wedge when needed, plenty of spin.  

19 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Ha, very similar then. Only I have T200 for 4,5, T100S, 6-48. Then whatever Vokeys we are up to. SM9s 54 bent to 53 and 58 I think. 

Good luck with your new clubs. 

Side note, can't help but wonder WHY many people on Golfwrx have gapping problems with strong lofted clubs.  The gapping of my T200 2&4i and T100s 5-W(48') work smooth with my Vokey SW is 52 and LW is 58. 

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

42 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Side note, can't help but wonder WHY many people on Golfwrx have gapping problems with strong lofted clubs.  The gapping of my T200 2&4i and T100s 5-W(48') work smooth with my Vokey SW is 52 and LW is 58. 

I had a gap issue with my 54.  It would come up short and I kept thinking I was not compressing the ball or hitting the toe.  I had it measured and it was up over 56.

12 minutes ago, evilelf said:

I had a gap issue with my 54.  It would come up short and I kept thinking I was not compressing the ball or hitting the toe.  I had it measured and it was up over 56.

I can see how that happens.  Many people who don't frequent Golfwrx or golf DBs, don't think about loft movement.  But most gapping issues evolve around loft spread. 

All my new irons are 4' spread to 5i, then 3' to 2i.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Ah my irons are over a year old now. So no excuses getting used to them 😂

I have had some Vokeys in the past that were out of spec. Kept pulling the 50° and finally got them checked and they were all upright.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but I've been out with the flu, but here's my semi-worthless findings on this

I've found that I get more distance and tighter dispersion having a set matching PW and AW. I don't know if the distance is because of a hotter face, or what, but I tried a pair of new Vokey SM9 wedges and Ping Forged Pro wedges head-to-head-to-head against the set matching wedges for about a month (10 rounds) earlier this year to answer this exact question for myself. The set matching wedges won and, for me at least, it wasn't a fair fight. The set matching wedges consistently outdrove the Vokeys by 10 yards and dispersion was closer by about 4-5 feet. On the Trackman the distance numbers were what I experienced on course, but surprisingly so were the spin numbers. I'm trying to find all of my data/notes/screenshots/pics/reports from this experiment. If I can, I'll update this post with it when I do. 

Important notes- A) All 6 wedges had the same KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff shafts that match my iron set

B) All 6 wedges were built to matching specs according to my personal fitting specs with the exception of the loft numbers-

-PW's @45*/35.5"L at a D4 SW

-AW's @48*/35.25"L at a D4 SW

C) All 6 wedges were built with the same Golf Pride TV Arccos grips

D) All of my data (I'm trying to find it all) came from my Arccos app backed up with GPS tracking from my Bushnell app, and my clubs                                                 Trackman unit

E) None of the lofts the wedges were adjusted to are my playing lofts and were adjusted to put each on an even playing field. All wedges                                           were adjusted with a GolfMechanix Auditor Digital Bending Machine, weights were done with a Mitchell TourGauge scale.

All that said, I game SM9's in 54.12D/58.10S and it'd be a tough job convincing me to use anything else. I already had a ton of faith and experience with the SM8 in the same specs for 54/58 that I never entertained the idea of testing against them. 

Edited by ShankAaron
  • Like 1

Shank's 2023 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym TD 8* +1.N/Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6X

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Epic Speed Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

-Pro V1X

14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)