2023 Course Conditions- Phoenix Area

vallygolf

53 minutes ago, MackDaddy480 said:

If anyone would like to play Aguila on Saturday at 8:30 AM, send me a PM. I have 2 open spots. Playing with AZ_JHWK as well.

... I played the "Tucson Muni" yesterday afternoon and they have already started Pre- OverSeeding, shaving down tee boxes and fairways. Greens are still rolling very nice though. Good luck fella's! 

• Thanks 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

... I finally played Papago for the first time since the redesign. I was pleasantly surprised especially aesthetically with all the plants, shrubs and small trees I thought were excellent additions. Conditions were nice with the exception of the greens being different speeds. First hole I had an 8 footer from the fringe and with a front left pin I just feed it on the green expecting to perhaps come up short for an easy tap in and watched it trickle on the green and then pick up speed and roll 15 feet past the hole. Then on #4 I misjudged the wind and with another front pin I was almost off the back with a straight downhill putt and left it 15 feet short. Gave the next a little more speed and it still finished 2 feet short of the hole. 😳  Putting is the strength of my game and I am not used to 6 foot putts rolling to the hole and just as they start loosing speed turning as much as 90* at the hole. My pard is a +2 and didn't make a single putt all day. 

Coyote Lakes this afternoon. Yeah, I'm pretty much the only person on this board who finds this course layout acceptable, shoot me. Everything else in the far west valley is either closed right now or hasn't closed yet and is completely packed. This is the second day open following overseed. Wasn't the wet sloppy mess I thought it would be. Everything was pretty dry, no mudballs, ball rolled/bounced a bit in the fairway and rough, ball checked up quick on the greens but didn't plug or anything. Greens were slow/shaggy of course. The overseed came in pretty good overall for a lower end course, some minor thin spots on a few tees, shaded areas, etc. CPO wasn't miserable since the course was pretty empty, the paths are close to the fairways on the front nine, and I hit my drives towards the path side of the wider fairways on the back nine.

IMG_4586.jpg.010475a6b736014d33e913a0cfe98c3a.jpgIMG_4588.jpg.a6435723df5467c2af14ce42105bdbde.jpg

• Haha 1

Sundance early this morning. Second day open after overseed. Wasn't a great overseeding job in my opinion, seemed pretty sparse/chintzy on the seed in a lot of places. Lots of tiny spots of burnt out/dormant/dead/whatever bermuda still in fairways and on the tees. Greens seemed like they were one third browned bermuda mixed in, which probably explains why they rolled way faster than any other greens 2 days out of overseed that I've played. I was in one greenside bunker that had minimal sand and looked like it hadn't been raked in a month.

CPO of course. Finished in 4:15. The first group looked kinda clueless, and my group couldn't hit until 10 minutes past our tee time because (like I've noticed before here) this course sells early tee times in the dark but doesn't make the people who buy them tee off on time in the dark. By the time I finished the round there were a ton of customers standing around the cart staging area waiting for carts to come off the course and apparently they were way behind schedule.

For only $39+ tax I should just keep my mouth shut despite the fact that perennial punching bag Coyote Lakes was in way better condition. 

Southern Dunes today, tee'd off around 830, pace was about 4.5 hours, they were sending groups off of the front and back nine this morning as they had the Korn Ferry 2nd round qualifier practice round after 9 this morning. 

Conditions were great, dry, fast and firm. Tons of roll out in the fairways. Greens were rolling very, very well, the best I have seen in some time. 

The bunkers, they are absolute garbage, embarrassing to be honest.  A large amount of the bunkers actually had the lining coming through the dirt, yes more dirt than sand. Hopefully they address them sometime in the future. 

5 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

The bunkers, they are absolute garbage, embarrassing to be honest.  A large amount of the bunkers actually had the lining coming through the dirt, yes more dirt than sand. Hopefully they address them sometime in the future. 

... I love SD but sadly the bunkers have looked like that the last 2 years. Probably played there 10 times and always the same. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... I love SD but sadly the bunkers have looked like that the last 2 years. Probably played there 10 times and always the same. 

It's such a shame. Conditions were so good otherwise today. To me SD plays the best dry, fast and firm, so much fun. Besides rolling as true as I have seen them the greens were actually fast, really a treat to play today. 

• Thanks 1

Played Power Ranch today because of all the "hype" about their new greens.  Unfortunately, whatever was done is unnoticable in terms of improvement to the course.  Same Power Ranch...meh housing community course with nothing really redeeming.  

Greens as expected, very inconsistent - some rock hard, some dead, some soft enough to make divots.  Very slow.  I imagine the greens will be good in about a year.  

POP 435 - very slow.  3 groups on all the par 3s for some reason.   50ish - makes it acceptable for this time of year, but prob not worth a trip.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Played Power Ranch today because of all the "hype" about their new greens.  Unfortunately, whatever was done is unnoticable in terms of improvement to the course.  Same Power Ranch...meh housing community course with nothing really redeeming.  

Greens as expected, very inconsistent - some rock hard, some dead, some soft enough to make divots.  Very slow.  I imagine the greens will be good in about a year.  

POP 435 - very slow.  3 groups on all the par 3s for some reason.   50ish - makes it acceptable for this time of year, but prob not worth a trip.

I was thinking of trying it a couple weeks ago right when they opened the full 18 as I had never played it before the reno. I then figured for $95 for an early morning tee time in September and probable rock hard greens I'll pass on driving there from the NW valley.

• Like 1

Palmbrook today. I believe it was 3 days out of overseed closure. It came in very full and plush in the fairways and was almost at rough height on most holes. Tees were similarly high except where worn down from people standing there. I lost two drives I hit straight down the middle, looked all around and never found them. Fairways were generally dry though, no mudballs. Greens putted like shag carpet as you'd expect, a few greens had some weird circular dead/dormant spots like you can see in the pic below. Practice green was closed. I was in a few greenside bunkers and all had excellent sand. Once they get everything mowed down to normal height, this course should be in nice shape. It's just not a layout I like much since at least from the tees I play, it seems like most of the par 4's play about the same yardage and I hit the same approach shot over and over.

IMG_4601.jpg.51dd4a5c8128ff210544c1bf8bd33319.jpgIMG_4603.jpg.52539e541424be36c5d307b32318e406.jpg

Edited by Bonneville85308

2 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I was thinking of trying it a couple weeks ago right when they opened the full 18 as I had never played it before the reno. I then figured for $95 for an early morning tee time in September and probable rock hard greens I'll pass on driving there from the NW valley.

yeah...wait until next summer.  

• 2 weeks later...

... Played our favorite "Tucson Muni" (cough) and after re-opening from over seeding the conditions were a little better than I expected. Fairways are just a little shaggy so not the normal roll and the greens are slower than normal but not egregiously so and rolled very true. The bad news is they are hosting High School Sate Championships at every level so they will be closed Tuesday - Friday 24th - 27th and again the next week the 31st - 3rd. 

• Like 1

Played Quintero today....a buddy and I both have lots of 2 for 1s left.  So at the half price it is a good deal considering other prices.

The overseed has come in decent...a little inconsistent in places; but not bad.  The greens of course are quite good and very fast.   The course has a ton of people working - quite odd, they even have someone at the gate making you stop and checking you onto the property.  I thought that was really silly.  About a dozen guys working the carts/bags and 4 people in the shop.

POP was actually pretty good.  The starter make sure to threaten groups that "there are marshalls timing you and will ask you to skip a hole if you get behind."   

Bunkers were quite bad, both from a sand being packed down, plus wet and then raked very poorly. 

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Played Quintero today....a buddy and I both have lots of 2 for 1s left.  So at the half price it is a good deal considering other prices.

The overseed has come in decent...a little inconsistent in places; but not bad.  The greens of course are quite good and very fast.   The course has a ton of people working - quite odd, they even have someone at the gate making you stop and checking you onto the property.  I thought that was really silly.  About a dozen guys working the carts/bags and 4 people in the shop.

POP was actually pretty good.  The starter make sure to threaten groups that "there are marshalls timing you and will ask you to skip a hole if you get behind."   

Bunkers were quite bad, both from a sand being packed down, plus wet and then raked very poorly. 

The story of almost every course these days, even the high-end ones. Good/Great conditions, except for the bunkers. It seems to be getting worse at a lot of courses over the last couple years. 

• Like 1

Drove up to Prescott Country Club since it was a free round.  No CPO.  New ownership now and they dropped Troon.  New owner said Troon provided nothing of benefit for them.

Course is realtively short even from the tips...plus a bit of elevation.  Fairways were quite good; pretty heavy rough in some places; greens were outstanding - if you missed a putt it is your fault; bunkers were average in terms of conditions, but some of the dumbest bunkers I have ever seen (many that really served no purpose or had the oddest shaping).  

Just under 3 hours.  Fun round and an ego booster for sure.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 6:18 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Drove up to Prescott Country Club since it was a free round.  No CPO.  New ownership now and they dropped Troon.  New owner said Troon provided nothing of benefit for them.

Course is realtively short even from the tips...plus a bit of elevation.  Fairways were quite good; pretty heavy rough in some places; greens were outstanding - if you missed a putt it is your fault; bunkers were average in terms of conditions, but some of the dumbest bunkers I have ever seen (many that really served no purpose or had the oddest shaping).  

Just under 3 hours.  Fun round and an ego booster for sure.

My favorite price.  

• Haha 1

Played Aguila this morning with @MackDaddy480. Course is in great post overseed condition. Carts are allowed in rough except 9/18, still CPO.

Only complaint our group had were the ball marks on the greens. They held the High School State Championships this past week, apparently we need to teach the youngins how to fix their ball marks…. 

Pace was good, just a hair under 4 hours teeing off around 0700. 

$44 to walk, $59 to ride with the City Card. 

Absolute amazing weather for golf this morning.

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Played Aguila this morning with @MackDaddy480. Course is in great post overseed condition. Carts are allowed in rough except 9/18, still CPO.

Only complaint our group had were the ball marks on the greens. They held the High School State Championships this past week, apparently we need to teach the youngins how to fix their ball marks…. 

Pace was good, just a hair under 4 hours teeing off around 0700. 

$44 to walk, $59 to ride with the City Card.

... Interesting. I played twilite today and thought there were less ball marks than usual. We played with a senior in high school and she was really good, playing a practice round. I rarely found more than my own ball mark to repair. We play again Monday and again next Saturday because high schools are there again Tuesday through Friday. 

GCU on Saturday, 2 days after opening.  Course was fantastic....Nothing super saturated and the grass was a good length.  Greens rolled pretty well too, maybe a foot or 1.5 feet slower than normal but they were in great shape. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

16 minutes ago, ferrispgm said:

GCU on Saturday, 2 days after opening.  Course was fantastic....Nothing super saturated and the grass was a good length.  Greens rolled pretty well too, maybe a foot or 1.5 feet slower than normal but they were in great shape. 

Good to hear. I’m going Thursday morning. 

Since it is 'technically' Phoenix 🙂; Vidanta course in Puerto Penasco is in phenomenal shape tee to green.  

If you have the chance, it is a good trip and a great time.  We stayed at the Mayan Palace - while a little on the aging side, the facility is top notch.  

If interested in a trip, let me know.  I can help you out with a deal.

IMG_0150.jpeg

8360ADDE-24AB-405F-B3BD-C6FC667D6EEC.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

Edited by puttnforthe8

10 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Since it is 'technically' Phoenix 🙂; Vidanta course in Puerto Penasco is in phenomenal shape tee to green.  

If you have the chance, it is a good trip and a great time.  We stayed at the Mayan Palace - while a little on the aging side, the facility is top notch.  

If interested in a trip, let me know.  I can help you out with a deal.

IMG_0150.jpeg

8360ADDE-24AB-405F-B3BD-C6FC667D6EEC.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

Looking at these photos from my office desk on a Monday morning makes me really not like you but that looks awesome!  How is RP these days?  I've heard it's gotten worse but I have also heard nothing is different lol

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

1 hour ago, ferrispgm said:

Looking at these photos from my office desk on a Monday morning makes me really not like you but that looks awesome!  How is RP these days?  I've heard it's gotten worse but I have also heard nothing is different lol

Well...I haven't gone into the town in quite some time.  We just go to Mayan and stay there and don't leave.  So it is pretty nice.

We played with a guy that has a house there and he did note that not much has changed...he didn't seem to indicate it was any better or worse. 

• Like 1

GCU this morning. Greens started out wet and slow but picked up speed once they dried out. Fairways are a little shaggy and limited roll out a little but otherwise were fantastic; maybe not as dry as the greens. It’s a great price with the city card right now. 

CPO, got around in just under four hours. I walked with my push cart. 

• Like 1

... Not that Encanto is a popular spot but with Aguila closed for high school state championships we played there yesterday. 3 days out of over seeding the course was in better condition than I expected. But heavy watering meant several drives just plugged, and iron shots landing just short did the same. Greens were a little slow but rolled decently. I was not expecting CC conditions when I am paying $28 to walk so all in all not too bad.