2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New Voice Caddie SC4 Launch Monitor

isitour

2 hours ago, BigRightMisss said:

Alright, first time poster here. I know some will take this post with a grain of salt because it is my first. However, I had no idea this forum existed until I started researching the SC4 in mid-April. 

I am an 11 handicap golfer that has been golfing most of his life and I decided to jump into the launch monitor purchase to help improve my game, get clubs more dialed in and get my handicap down into single digits. When on the course, I generally know my distances pretty well but don't have much hard data on it. A secondary use of the unit, for me at least, is the simulator aspect. I plan to use this in the off season to keep swinging clubs, hang with the fellas and just have fun. I purchased the unit direct from Voice Caddie during their pre-sale campaign and received the unit last Thursday. Included was the carrying case and the mat/guide thing they sent with it. 

One with my thoughts (I have taken the unit to the range once so far and that is it. We have had some insane wind and lower than expected temps so I haven't gotten to use it much)...

Cons

-out of the box, the simulator capabilities are not active. They plan on rolling this out in the near future. This is not a deal breaker for me as I do not plan to use this feature for several months. If this is your primary use for the unit, you may be waiting a bit for a review on the simulator functionality.

-the unit does not measure spin on anything below a PW. Again, this is not an issue for me, as I am not as concerned about spin on my wedges as I am some of my other clubs. 

-there were several shots that did not register. The majority of these shots were skulled/bladed/etc. so I kind of get that but a handful of others were not. I am not sure if there is something I did wrong or what so I am not in panic mode yet. Additionally, I kind of feel like the unit was sitting a little higher behind me than is recommended which could lead to it. It was grass and the range was packed so I didn't have much choice here. 

Pros

-extremely easy to setup and user friendly. Turned the unit on, was prompted for an update and followed through with it. Update took a few minutes and once done, the unit immediately connected to the VC app on my iPhone and I was ready to roll. Not a single issue.

-the app is pretty straight forward and tracks the data you would expect. You can also export a .CSV file if you want to mess with the data a little more. I am a spreadsheet geek and plan to mess with this in the future. 

-the display is bright and very easy to read. Hit the shot, look back and you have your shot data. Pretty straight forward

Overall Impressions

-accuracy is probably the question most want to know about and from what I can tell, the unit is fairly accurate. I was hitting into a 2 club wind on the range and the distances on the unit matched up with the yardages on the range as far as I could tell. I am not really sure if it takes wind into consideration but it sure seemed like it did. If the unit doesn't factor in wind, well, there could be a problem. As soon as mother nature cooperates, I am getting it out to try again. 

-the launch direction (degrees left or right) was pretty spot on. If I had a little fade to the ball, it registered. Same for a slice, draw, hook, etc. 

-ball spin seemed accurate to me as well. I spent some time indoors at my local club fitter hitting some shots over the winter and the spin numbers were really close to the numbers on the GCQuad. Eventually, I would like to get the unit to the fitter to track both at the same time. 

I have not yet hit into a net to check numbers. Like I said, I am not planning on doing any simulation until the fall so I don't have a net, mat, etc for the garage yet. That said, my plan is to head to my buddy's house this weekend to hit off of his mat and into a net to see how it works indoors. This will also allow me to get his thoughts on the unit as well.

So there it is. Far from being able to make a definitive "yes you should buy this" or "hell no, stay away" statement but based on my first experience with the unit, I am happy and optimistic that the SC4 will be exactly what I wanted. 

Feel free to ask up whatever and I will answer the best I can. 

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. Pretty sure my first post wasn't nearly as helpful. So you're off to a good start 🙂

6 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. Pretty sure my first post wasn't nearly as helpful. So you're off to a good start 🙂

Yea no doubt, better information than whats out there now. One youtube video so far, maybe a short or two. Just suprised with the lack of content so far on it

54 minutes ago, Garydean said:

Yea no doubt, better information than whats out there now. One youtube video so far, maybe a short or two. Just suprised with the lack of content so far on it

I agree, although I don't think SC has even gotten units into hands of reviewers yet. I was shocked that mine shipped and arrived as early as it did. Hopefully we will see some reviews and true testing soon. As with any product, I expect quite a few firmware updates within the first 60 days.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 10.5˚ Ventus Blue Velocore+ 

Taylormade Qi10 3W 15˚ KBS TD 

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 5W 18˚ KBS TD 

Ping G425 22˚H - KBS Tour Prototype

PXG 0317T 5-GW KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 54˚-10S and 58˚-08M KBS Tour

Spider Tour CB 38" or Lajosi Lawson Longneck Proto

Maxfli Tour X

12 hours ago, BigRightMisss said:

-accuracy is probably the question most want to know about and from what I can tell, the unit is fairly accurate. I was hitting into a 2 club wind on the range and the distances on the unit matched up with the yardages on the range as far as I could tell. I am not really sure if it takes wind into consideration but it sure seemed like it did. If the unit doesn't factor in wind, well, there could be a problem. As soon as mother nature cooperates, I am getting it out to try again. 

This scares me a little. I don't remember any indication that the SC4 (or any launch monitor) factors in actual wind. I'm sure they can do simulated wind, but there's another review that showed the SC4 measuring about 10 yards shorter than the MLM2Pro on a 50 yard shot. I'm curious if it is just undercalculating the distance. I didn't think it could capture more than about 12-15 feet of flight data, so I can't imagine it would be able to account for any wind affects in flight. Luckily, distance calculations can be fixed with a software update down the road. I think the R10 had some issues with that early on as well.

Thanks for the review, I appreciate any new information we can get.

Edited by Mych

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

55 minutes ago, Mych said:

This scares me a little. I don't remember any indication that the SC4 (or any launch monitor) factors in actual wind. I'm sure they can do simulated wind, but there's another review that showed the SC4 measuring about 10 yards shorter than the MLM2Pro on a 50 yard shot. I'm curious if it is just undercalculating the distance. I didn't think it could capture more than about 12-15 feet of flight data, so I can't imagine it would be able to account for any wind affects in flight. Luckily, distance calculations can be fixed with a software update down the road. I think the R10 had some issues with that early on as well.

Agreed that this is a potential concern. Hopefully I can get out to range soon without a strong breeze. It’s beautiful today but I have league this evening (no range at my league course) so it kinda sucks but I’ll take the perfect weather for a round over the range any day. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mych said:

Haven't seen that particular one, but bench marking outdoors is only valid against either Trackman or actual measured distance, not against another new device that only measures limited flight.

If the algorithms are good enough (and enough readings taken to measure a different rate of deceleration of the ball compared to still air conditions) then yes wind can be compensated for even from limited flight measurement (notwithstanding the wind being different downrange compared to where the ball was hit from).

Edited by hammersia

Sc4 did arrive today!

First impressions, it is package nicely no issue there.  Updated the firmware that was seamless took about 90 seconds.  I only  put one shot on it with a PW, yardage was same as my range finder.  I know this isn't what everyone is looking for but i'll get to the range in the morning to give a better rundown of the unit. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Garydean said:

Just curious where are reviews of this in action? Its mostly people talking about it and not showing anything 

I have to say, this been given very little attention by reviewers with no real showing of it in action.  I completely agree with you here.  I had hopes that this could be a very viable alternative to the R10 given that it says it supports simulation.  But my hopes are fading fast with this one.

• Like 1

Got mine last week, took out to the range last night for the first time. 

This is the first time I've bought anything like this and I'm extremely unimpressed to say the least. 

Notes:

• Don't think I saw a smash factor below 1.48 on any club
    • Would be great if this was true, but.. I know myself
  • Distances varied wildly on similarly struck shots.
  • Launch direction all over the place.
  • Spin readings were extremely low. Was consistently in the low 3000s with my 8 iron.
  • Would only pick up half swings on my driver. Didn't get a single one to read on a full swing. 

I did get out there around 7:30 so dusk lighting could have potentially been at play? Plan on going today on my lunch to test it in full sunlight. 

1 hour ago, golfun said:

Optishot must own or partner or make the SC4. They have it coming soon on their site as the “Orbit”! Could be good news as it will very supported. 

https://optishotgolf.com/pages/orion

Hmm yeah that is interesting. Optishop has a partnership with Voice Caddie. Maybe they asked them to make a version for them?

spacer.png

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

1 hour ago, rtmelos said:

Got mine last week, took out to the range last night for the first time. 

This is the first time I've bought anything like this and I'm extremely unimpressed to say the least. 

Notes:

• Don't think I saw a smash factor below 1.48 on any club
    • Would be great if this was true, but.. I know myself
  • Distances varied wildly on similarly struck shots.
  • Launch direction all over the place.
  • Spin readings were extremely low. Was consistently in the low 3000s with my 8 iron.
  • Would only pick up half swings on my driver. Didn't get a single one to read on a full swing. 

I did get out there around 7:30 so dusk lighting could have potentially been at play? Plan on going today on my lunch to test it in full sunlight. 

lighting shouldnt have an effect on a radar based unit. they dont use visible light. most likely the device requires setting up.

41 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

lighting shouldnt have an effect on a radar based unit. they dont use visible light. most likely the device requires setting up.

I didn't think so either but only thing I could think of. Done everything in the user manual in terms of set up. Tried multiple different ball/LM positions. 

Not ruling out user error by any means but I can generally figure out anything tech wise

Did everyone get a case with their SC4? I ordered through PlayBetter and they confirmed it comes with a case, however it was not in the shipment. I just sent them an email to see if they have any information.

Edited by pdxhak

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

3 hours ago, rtmelos said:

I didn't think so either but only thing I could think of. Done everything in the user manual in terms of set up. Tried multiple different ball/LM positions. 

Not ruling out user error by any means but I can generally figure out anything tech wise

i've seen a youtube video where the user was getting stupid numbers cause the sc4 assumes the ground from it to the ball is flat and he had a slight downslope. so it could be that the unit is just to hard to setup right now.

Just got back from the range. For the most part the SC4 seemed to have accurate readings but there were a couple that were off. Also there were no spin numbers for GW or SW. I changed the setting to PW and hit a couple of GWs and it provided the spin numbers. Is this expected?

Edit: I see @BigRightMisss reported the same. 

Edited by pdxhak

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 5/10/2023 at 12:55 PM, pdxhak said:

Did everyone get a case with their SC4? I ordered through PlayBetter and they confirmed it comes with a case, however it was not in the shipment. I just sent them an email to see if they have any information.

same here, I noted to PlayBetter that they had an unboxing video that showed the case (which has since been taken down) that said, have seen the case for sale for $49.99 additional on another retailer website.  no word back from PlayBetter as of 5/11 10am PT

update: I heard back from PlayBetter that cases are available for the $49.99 additional.    no reason why the initial unboxing video posted showed a case, but PlayBetter did not include.

according to voicecaddie support, customers who ordered early/pre-order or ordered by a specific date did get the case.  

Edited by MrPolly
remove excess words.

PlayBetter sent me a case because I contacted them prior to the SC4s being shipped asking if a case would be included. They said yes, so they were kind enough to honor what that had said earlier. Turns out cases are not included. Thumbs up for PlayBetter because they could have easily told me they made a mistake.

As for the case itself. Meh. It looks decent but the zipper sticks and is very annoying to open and close. 

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Long time reader of the forums.  First post. 

Have had my SC4 since the preorders shipped.  I am not an "influencer," nor do I want to be, so no slick "review" from me, but I can answer questions and give you my opinion.  

I can confirm the preorder missing case issue.  I did not receive mine.  I was pissed.  The website splash screen that I ordered it from before LAUNCH was the exact screen that stated that it included one.  It also stated free shipping.  Didn't get that either and didn't catch it till I had finished check out.  I may have had a beer or two.  🙂  I'm not happy about either item being left out.  I called, and called, and emailed.  I finally talked to a defeated sounding guy who had to "talk it over with the marketing guys" and they finally relented and shipped one.  I was kind of surprised when it actually showed up, given he didn't provide any tracking info that I specifically asked for and he agreed to provide.  Not the best start to my experience obviously.  As someone who is taking a chance on your product, sans reviews or evidence it works properly, I am surprised it was handled so sloppily when it clearly said one was included IN HUGE FONT on the website landing screen.  He insisted I missed some tiny writing on the next page that it was only valid two days before I ordered, but off the record, I think he was full of... excrement.  No explanation as to why the landing page ad was left up when I asked.  It seems they had no intention of ever sending them.  

As for the unit itself, it is really good for the cost. 

It does not show spin on any wedges.  That is stated in the manual.  I don't find this to be a deal breaker.

I find it EXTREMELY accurate IF, and I mean IF it is set up properly, and it is slightly finnicky.  The stand has to be manipulated to show a level reading on the unit to have accurate data.  I would also suggest a flat range and area 10 ft behind the ball (the unit must be placed DIRECTLY, and I mean directly, behind the ball about 5 ft out.  If your range has you hitting out of a depression or on an incline, you better move.  If you hit off a mat, you have to raise the unit to the height of the mat.  The factory case has a platform feature you can use to raise it, but I find it too high.  I have gotten around this the one time I was forced to hit off the green squares of shame by setting it on a book (it had rained, and they shut the grass tees down).  High tech, I know.  I'd also recommend entering the parameters for each club including loft and lie adjustments, to help with the data accuracy.  I assume it makes a difference.  I did, and it seems spot on.  

The app is, and I don't use this term lightly or often.... a dumpster fire.  Want to delete a club you have set up in your "bag"?  Nope.  Can't.  Or if you can, it is so unintuitive that this educated tech nerd hasn't figured it out.  Entering clubs is cumbersome.  I had issues with the bluetooth disconnecting from the app, but that has gotten better.  Maybe a firmware fix?  I don't know because Voicecaddie doesn't give details of what they are fixing or adding in each firmware release.  Thats fun.  

Would I buy it again?  Thats tough.  It IS accurate.  I think they all are mostly.  I am mostly turned off by the experience with the app and the included free perks con that I got roped into.   I do love its size and form factor.  I also appreciate the clear to read display.  The battery is outstanding.  The bluetooth feature allows me to connect a pair of wireless earbuds to my phone and hear the distance on each shot without turning around and staring at the ground oddly.  The spin algorithm is good and very close to the numbers I know I am usually putting on the ball.  While it lacks a second camera to track ball indicators or special balls, I am not a net user, so I wouIdn't use them anyway. I am pretty happy with it.  

If someone out there has figured out how to delete clubs, let me know.  I will gladly change my post or update it.

Regarding the case, I searched, and ordered, a couple of 3rd party cases when I thought all was lost on their included case promise (I have screenshots of that ad page btw).  It is tough to get the right size.  This one though, is nice.  It has straps that you can move around to secure the SC4.  Since I am new here, I don't want to post a link in fear of it appearing I am pushing something.  Just search for the Vanson Gopro case in medium.  It leaves some extra room for your charger, and manual just like the official case and it's much much cheaper.  

Hope this helps someone.  

-Jason

Edited by Petroguy
(edited the company name of the cheaper third party case.  I had misspelled it.)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sounds exactly like the Voice Caddie I know, from the customer service, to the unit's quirkiness/limitations, and especially the lousy app.

Edited by dwboston
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

15 hours ago, Petroguy said:

Long time reader of the forums.  First post. 

Have had my SC4 since the preorders shipped.  I am not an "influencer," nor do I want to be, so no slick "review" from me, but I can answer questions and give you my opinion.  

I can confirm the preorder missing case issue.  I did not receive mine.  I was pissed.  The website splash screen that I ordered it from before LAUNCH was the exact screen that stated that it included one.  It also stated free shipping.  Didn't get that either and didn't catch it till I had finished check out.  I may have had a beer or two.  🙂  I'm not happy about either item being left out.  I called, and called, and emailed.  I finally talked to a defeated sounding guy who had to "talk it over with the marketing guys" and they finally relented and shipped one.  I was kind of surprised when it actually showed up, given he didn't provide any tracking info that I specifically asked for and he agreed to provide.  Not the best start to my experience obviously.  As someone who is taking a chance on your product, sans reviews or evidence it works properly, I am surprised it was handled so sloppily when it clearly said one was included IN HUGE FONT on the website landing screen.  He insisted I missed some tiny writing on the next page that it was only valid two days before I ordered, but off the record, I think he was full of... excrement.  No explanation as to why the landing page ad was left up when I asked.  It seems they had no intention of ever sending them.  

As for the unit itself, it is really good for the cost. 

It does not show spin on any wedges.  That is stated in the manual.  I don't find this to be a deal breaker.

I find it EXTREMELY accurate IF, and I mean IF it is set up properly, and it is slightly finnicky.  The stand has to be manipulated to show a level reading on the unit to have accurate data.  I would also suggest a flat range and area 10 ft behind the ball (the unit must be placed DIRECTLY, and I mean directly, behind the ball about 5 ft out.  If your range has you hitting out of a depression or on an incline, you better move.  If you hit off a mat, you have to raise the unit to the height of the mat.  The factory case has a platform feature you can use to raise it, but I find it too high.  I have gotten around this the one time I was forced to hit off the green squares of shame by setting it on a book (it had rained, and they shut the grass tees down).  High tech, I know.  I'd also recommend entering the parameters for each club including loft and lie adjustments, to help with the data accuracy.  I assume it makes a difference.  I did, and it seems spot on.  

The app is, and I don't use this term lightly or often.... a dumpster fire.  Want to delete a club you have set up in your "bag"?  Nope.  Can't.  Or if you can, it is so unintuitive that this educated tech nerd hasn't figured it out.  Entering clubs is cumbersome.  I had issues with the bluetooth disconnecting from the app, but that has gotten better.  Maybe a firmware fix?  I don't know because Voicecaddie doesn't give details of what they are fixing or adding in each firmware release.  Thats fun.  

Would I buy it again?  Thats tough.  It IS accurate.  I think they all are mostly.  I am mostly turned off by the experience with the app and the included free perks con that I got roped into.   I do love its size and form factor.  I also appreciate the clear to read display.  The battery is outstanding.  The bluetooth feature allows me to connect a pair of wireless earbuds to my phone and hear the distance on each shot without turning around and staring at the ground oddly.  The spin algorithm is good and very close to the numbers I know I am usually putting on the ball.  While it lacks a second camera to track ball indicators or special balls, I am not a net user, so I wouIdn't use them anyway. I am pretty happy with it.  

If someone out there has figured out how to delete clubs, let me know.  I will gladly change my post or update it.

Regarding the case, I searched, and ordered, a couple of 3rd party cases when I thought all was lost on their included case promise (I have screenshots of that ad page btw).  It is tough to get the right size.  This one though, is nice.  It has straps that you can move around to secure the SC4.  Since I am new here, I don't want to post a link in fear of it appearing I am pushing something.  Just search for the Vansom Gopro case in medium.  It leaves some extra room for your charger, and manual just like the official case and it's much much cheaper.  

Hope this helps someone.  

-Jason

Thank you very much for the detailed first use review of your experience so far.  This is certainly not a resounding positive experience so far.  I guess I am going to move this down on my list as I am looking to upgrade my LM from a Garmin R10 to either an MLMPro2 or a Mevo+.  I had high hopes for this device to be in the running, but those hopes have all but passed for now.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brdgolf1 said:

Thank you very much for the detailed first use review of your experience so far.  This is certainly not a resounding positive experience so far.  I guess I am going to move this down on my list as I am looking to upgrade my LM from a Garmin R10 to either an MLMPro2 or a Mevo+.  I had high hopes for this device to be in the running, but those hopes have all but passed for now.  

The MLM2 has had a very messy launch and problems that still need to be resolved. Honestly seems like the majority of the devices released have had numerous issues that were resolved with firmware updates or are still pending. I think the biggest gripe most have with the SC4 is the lack of reviews and the lack of public updates from Voice Caddie. I took mine to the course the other day but only had the opportunity to use it on one home from 75 yds and do not have anything meaningful data to share.

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2