2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

@mshills You were saying something about moving from Miami and your movers getting into it with your neighbor?

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

There has been a lot of talk here since I posted the Poll regarding getting a Hole In One. For those of you that have yet to get one I say keep on plugging along. I played 25 years before I finally got my first when I was living in Las Vegas. It happened at the Wildhorse G.C. I went another 14 years and I got my second Ace 4 years ago at Links of Tryon. Then very unexpectedly I got my third on the 15th of April this season at Hendersonville CC. 

My HIO's 

Las Vegas, NV                  126 yards     9 iron

Landrum,   SC                  167 yards      5 hybrid

Hendersonville, NC          134 yards     8 iron

Monday we played Apple Valley. The week before Stan (my #1 golf buddy) got his first Hole In One on the 17th hole at Apple Valley (unfortunately I was playing at a different golf course that day and didn't get to witness it) . Stan has been playing golf for 48 years so it show's you that even with many decades in the game you can still snag that first ACE. 

a (1).jpg

Stan's ace .jpg

• Like 3

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

1 hour ago, mshills said:

I love just about everything about New Mexico,

New Mexico has some beautiful areas, but man, it’s a poor state. Healthcare is some of the worst in the country. My mom lived in Ruidoso for quite awhile and it’s beautiful, but pretty remote. About 90 minutes from Roswell, so it’s got that alien thing going for it, if that’s your bag.

15 hours ago, touch said:

There is a chance that an all time record will be hit in the Newlyweds hometown on Sunday......120*  !  This guy says it is 115* there today, 

I've lived that endless oppressive summer desert heat and I don't miss it. 

It turned quite hot here with afternoon high temps to hit 90* for the next 3 days.

That's incredible.  My water heater is set to only 10 degrees more than that.  Yikes! 

This is hilarious. I just drove the 8th hole at Callippe.  Measured 305 yds uphill with a helping 5 mph breeze to ~25 feet.  We did not sink the eagle putt.  

PXL_20240704_172203732.MP.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* / Autoflex Dumina SF505

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

TM M1 5W 19* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Takomo 201 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 105X

Titleist SM8 50*, New Level SPN VS 56* 60* / PX IO 6.5 "8i Spinner"

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Snell MTB Black or Prime 4.0

7 minutes ago, imkirby34 said:

This is hilarious. I just drove the 8th hole at Callippe.  Measured 305 yds uphill with a helping 5 mph breeze to ~25 feet.  We did not sink the eagle putt.  

PXL_20240704_172203732.MP.jpg

Congratulations imk!

Was that drive only possible because you had one of those $1200 driver shafts? 😅

2 hours ago, Triple Lindy said:

New Mexico has some beautiful areas, but man, it’s a poor state. Healthcare is some of the worst in the country. My mom lived in Ruidoso for quite awhile and it’s beautiful, but pretty remote. About 90 minutes from Roswell, so it’s got that alien thing going for it, if that’s your bag.

Yep. It's a weird place, man. 

We spent a few days in ABQ while on tour last year and I was like "I get why they based Breaking Bad here." 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

26 minutes ago, imkirby34 said:

I just drove the 8th hole at Callippe.  Measured 305 yds uphill

... Uphill?!? You Da Man. 👍

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

So I got a little presumptive about when my LA GOLF L series would arrive to do the irons rebuild and ... uh ... disassembled everything last weekend. 

They still haven't shipped 😂

Guess the Nikes WILL be going in the bag for a few days. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, touch said:

Congratulations imk!

Was that drive only possible because you had one of those $1200 driver shafts? 😅

LOL.  Thank goodness for CPO (Callaway Preowned) and their bday discount.  I got the Autoflex for < $400.  It is weird, though, using the suggested D0 swing weight.  It probably isn't the proper term, but I don't feel like I'm getting much feedback when it's that light, so that's something to get used to.

I will also need to add another chip-in for the poll as I chipped-in for birdie on #11.  We finished -8, but didn't stick around since we were pretty certain that wasn't going to place in the top-3 for prizes.  

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Uphill?!? You Da Man. 👍

I'm still a quite shocked.  Well, about as shocked as the guys who were still putting on the green.  The landing area is beyond fairway bunkers and, as you might assume, quite firm, so it probably rolled at least 30 yards.  In my previous dozen-or-so rounds there, I know I've carried those bunkers in line with the green at least a couple times but the closest I'd been was right around 40 yards.

I tried going for a downhill-ish par 4 (299 straightline, probably 280 with slope) and hit it very well again, but the breeze took it right and into the greenside bunker.

I freely admit that I wasn't money every time with it.  Both times that I tried to draw it on holes that bent to the left, I hit it dead straight through the fairway.  The other drive was a semi-smothered hook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, imkirby34 said:

Thank goodness for CPO (Callaway Preowned) and their bday discount.  I got the Autoflex for < $400.  It is weird, though, using the suggested D0 swing weight.  It probably isn't the proper term, but I don't feel like I'm getting much feedback when it's that light, so that's something to get used to.

... Normally I don't place much stock in "recommended" anything from OEM's because they are just starting points and individuals will adjust to fit their unique swing. When I cut mine to my preferred playing length of 45.25" it came out to C9, and C9-D0 is the recommended swing weight for my 47gm autoFlex Dream 7 model 405 for 80-95mph swing speeds. I swear it feels like they designed and built a shaft specifically for my swing. Sounds like yours is treating you very well too. I know I have said it before but that waggle like a fly rod makes it easy to understand how it could add more distance if timed correctly, but with so much flex I am shocked by how much more accurate it is than any driver shaft I have played. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Got up early this Independence Day at teed off around 7:30.  This was my third round back and was a lot more consistent than the previous 2 rounds.  I was right around bogey golf.  The place I dropped shots was out of the bunkers, with my foot/ankle I just don’t feel stable in the sand.  The plus for the day was I hit driver well.  It definitely gave me better opportunities to go for the green in regulation.  This was also my first round with the Hogans I purchased over the weekend.  I enjoyed playing with them, and even decided to play again tomorrow. 

@NJBigFish22  What driver were you using today?  Hopefully it's one that can bring you some confidence off the tee!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCLancer said:

@NJBigFish22  What driver were you using today?  Hopefully it's one that can bring you some confidence off the tee!  

I am using the TM BRNR mini driver.  Right now it’s still set at 13.5*,.  I am also able to hit it well off the deck, so it can act as a strong 3W.  Eventually I may demo the Qi10, but for some reason the mini suits me. 

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

Monday I played Apple Valley G.C. at the Rumbling Bald Resort in Lake Lure, NC. Ryan my coworker and assistant Pro at BFCC joined Stan and me. We couldn't find a 4th. It was 82* under partly cloudy skies with 64% humidity. Not much wind. It got sticky for 90 minutes. I last played the course two years ago, Stan last played it the previous week, and it was Ryan's first time on the course. We had a decent warm up on the range and also spent some time on the practice green. The course had their green surfaces redone a few years back and they converted the old bent grass to Champion Bermuda. The greens were running about 11.5 and they were in exceptional condition. They were the best Bermuda grass greens I have played in many years. The golf course is a beauty. 

On the first four holes, two par 4's, a Par 3, and a Par 5 I made pars. On #5 the 350 yard Par 4 (handicap no.5) I hit driver 7 iron to 10 feet and made the birdie putt. Two bogeys happened next as I needed a wake up call.....hey LP you haven't seen this track in forever remember. +1 thru 7. Two pars on 8 and 9. I made the turn with a 1 over 37.  Great opening 9. 

It didn't last. After starting my front 9 with 4 Pars and a birdie, I opened the back 9 with 4 bogeys (in a row) and a par. +5 thru 14. Consistent steadiness returned and I made Pars on the last 4 holes. I had two mid range birdie looks that didn't fall on 16 and 17. 

I ended up with a 78 and was most pleased that I was able to shoot my number on that challenging course that I hadn't played in two years.

Ryan was the medalist with a 72.

The S man was off some and found the mid 80's. 

Apple Valley is a nice big golf course. I think there was once two holes running kind of parallel to one another all day. There are holes on the course that remind me of Conesstee Falls, Cummings Cove, and Cleghorn. AV is indeed also a western North Carolina gem of a golf course just like the other three. Stan and I decided after our round that because Apple Valley is such a special layout that has amazing greens and is also a blast to play we will add it into our regular rotation of frequently played courses. It's a two lane winding mountain road for most of the journey down to Lake Lure that takes a good hour from Asheville. There are no main roads down to that vacation spot. Yes you have to be very attentive when driving the narrow main road, but after your semi nervous drive you get out on the golf course and realize that the drive was so damn worth it.  🏌️‍♀️

A recap.jpg

DDD recap.jpg

B recap Apple valley Greens .jpg

FF recap .jpg

GG recap.jpg

Edited by touch
  • Like 3

I remember playing very many sets of irons with X100 or S300, and the odd S400s. Nothing feels better! (The S400 not so much.)

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

19 minutes ago, mshills said:

I remember playing very many sets of irons with X100 or S300, and the odd S400s. Nothing feels better! (The S400 not so much.)

... Amen. One of the reason I decided to go on staff with Tommy Armour was the Tour Lite shaft offered in the 845's. Starting out with persimmon, Wilson MBs and and HT100 balata balls, I have always had a smooth swing and sometimes too smooth leaving attainable distance on the table. I started playing with DGX100's and went to DGS200's but when I hit the Tommy Armour Tour Lite shafts it was like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders swing. They were a much better fit for me than Dynamic Gold shafts. WI played KB Tour shafts when they were released before starting down the road of graphite iron shafts, and I have been there ever since. Obviously aene is a beast and his arms pistons from years of playing drums. 😎

• Like 2

Hell, the only thing I played for ... I dunno, like 25 years was S400s. 

Oh, those halcyon days when the extent of a fitting was "Which Dynamic Golds do you want?" 

• Haha 3

Speaking of trying to get a HIO..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... Amen. One of the reason I decided to go on staff with Tommy Armour was the Tour Lite shaft offered in the 845's. Starting out with persimmon, Wilson MBs and and HT100 balata balls, I have always had a smooth swing and sometimes too smooth leaving attainable distance on the table. I started playing with DGX100's and went to DGS200's but when I hit the Tommy Armour Tour Lite shafts it was like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders swing. They were a much better fit for me than Dynamic Gold shafts. WI played KB Tour shafts when they were released before starting down the road of graphite iron shafts, and I have been there ever since. Obviously aene is a beast and his arms pistons from years of playing drums. 😎

100% certain the DG weren’t the best fit for me, but who knew? I hit shots with a higher, flatter (better) trajectory with the PX 6.0 but did not like the way they felt. The DG just felt like golf to me. 

X100 was my preference, best setup I had were Ping i5 in x100. Could never play those today (one major factor) but have great memories of some good golf. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

8 hours ago, imkirby34 said:

Speaking of trying to get a HIO..

Crazy. I thought I saw one drop. 

13 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

Oh and my HIO drought continues.

Yours is coming soon! You are overdue. And I believe the rule is if you hit a hickory tree using a hickory shafted Club and the ball rolls into the hole it is legit.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down