2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

5 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Well. Sunflowers are in full bloom as of today…. These are about 7 feet tall on average… see my house as reference on the left.  This front field is right at 5 acres.  There’s 3 more acres  in sunflowers down by the barn. But we had alot of grass come back in that section and it choked them down shorter.  I’ve planted my wife this patch for about 10 years now.  This year at the end we will combine them for seeds and see what we can do with them ( oil , sell as bird feed etc) …. But mostly we just supply local florists and wedding venues etc so my son and wife will be cutting flowers in the evenings for a month or so.  They cut a pickup truck load last night for her office and surgery center. I love this time of year ! The yellow finches , the indigo finches and bees flock to our place !  You can’t see those birds anywhere else in the numbers I see them. There’ll be thousands ! ( that’s my driveway on the last pic ).     We get sooo many people taking pictures it’s hilarious… and just to blow your mind.  The cost to plant those fields is about $370 in today’s economy….. was as low as $200. But fertilizer is crazy.  Best $400 entertainment on earth.  

IMG_0071.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

That's impressive. You must be able to plant late enough to have missed the hard freeze that destroyed the peach crop. We drove down to Cooley Farms Saturday for peaches. They had signs out that none of the peaches are theirs due to the late Spring freeze destroying their entire crop. All of the peaches they are selling were brought in from California and man they suck. Huge disappointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

1 minute ago, braincramp52 said:

And that's why music is the best. It makes no difference that I don't like them. My hatred for them is from a little bit of jealousy because as musicians they just aren't that good. 

I struggle with this.  For years I was a fan of musicianship to my limited knowledge, and still am to an extent.  But as I age I realize many of my favorite artists are not overly proficient by comparison to many.  Neil Young, Lou Reed, Grateful Dead, REM, Janes Addiction; I can’t explain it.  For me bands don’t have to the best to be great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sunbeltgolfer said:

That's impressive. You must be able to plant late enough to have missed the hard freeze that destroyed the peach crop. We drove down to Cooley Farms Saturday for peaches. They had signs out that none of the peaches are theirs due to the late Spring freeze destroying their entire crop. All of the peaches they are selling were brought in from California and man they suck. Huge disappointment.

Yep.  We were late by accident.  But it was a blessing as it turns out.  We caught the rain at the right time too.  

cooley rents a 12 acre field that buts up to my back property line. Gramling property they don’t use. And those peach trees got hit hard. So much so they didn’t even try to tend them. So no spraying etc this year.  I walked over and picked up enough off the ground to make  a pie , but that took 30 min , they were so few on the ground.  Normally this time of year you can pickup hundreds of good peaches that they just don’t bother with.  I struggled to find 20. 

I saw that white local peaches were bringing something like $40 a half bushel. Which is nuts. That’s only like 20 peaches. I did get lucky and have 3 white peaches given to me and they were heaven.  I ate one a day , lol.  

the taste difference- it’s the red clay soil. More acidic.  We grow peaches with more flavor. There’s no way to deny that.  

• Like 4

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

38 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep.  We were late by accident.  But it was a blessing as it turns out.  We caught the rain at the right time too.  

cooley rents a 12 acre field that buts up to my back property line. Gramling property they don’t use. And those peach trees got hit hard. So much so they didn’t even try to tend them. So no spraying etc this year.  I walked over and picked up enough off the ground to make  a pie , but that took 30 min , they were so few on the ground.  Normally this time of year you can pickup hundreds of good peaches that they just don’t bother with.  I struggled to find 20. 

I saw that white local peaches were bringing something like $40 a half bushel. Which is nuts. That’s only like 20 peaches. I did get lucky and have 3 white peaches given to me and they were heaven.  I ate one a day , lol.  

the taste difference- it’s the red clay soil. More acidic.  We grow peaches with more flavor. There’s no way to deny that.  

After trying the CA peaches I would gladly pay $40 a half bushel for the SC white peaches, if I could find some. We are spoiled now for our peach "fix". The GA peaches are good, but don't hold up to the ones we get from Cooley. It had to be a devastating loss of income for them to lose the whole crop. I should have known something was up when we pulled up to the shed mid day on a Saturday and the parking lot was almost empty.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sunbeltgolfer said:

After trying the CA peaches I would gladly pay $40 a half bushel for the SC white peaches, if I could find some. We are spoiled now for our peach "fix". The GA peaches are good, but don't hold up to the ones we get from Cooley. It had to be a devastating loss of income for them to lose the whole crop. I should have known something was up when we pulled up to the shed mid day on a Saturday and the parking lot was almost empty.

Yep. It’s really hurt several smaller operations here. Most had the insurance on their crop. But it honestly doesn’t pay as well as selling.  It’s just a market price guess.  

you’re spot on about the peaches from here being the best.  At one time in the 1920s-1970 ish Inman sc was literally the peach capital of the world.  The sc peach growers association headquarters was here.  And they supplied everything from baskets to tree slips and spraying machines it was so busy growing peaches.  It was peaches and the cotton mill.  That’s it.  Gerber ( baby food ) had a rail cars that arrived nightly to load the next morning heading to their plant , every single day.  That’s where all the small and bruised peaches went back then.  If I hear of any local left I’ll let you know.  

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Triple Lindy said:

I don’t know if your seeds make it all the way to Texas or not, but we keep the birds well-fed. While we just have a small, suburban lot, we get all kinds of birds on our feeders and birdbaths (especially this summer). It’s definitely wonderful entertainment! I’m usually sitting out back in the mornings enjoying coffee while popping into the Lounge. Love the bird chorus in the otherwise quiet part of the day. Then the mowers and blowers start up…..

I’ve always loved watching them.  Some mornings I’ve walked out onto the middle of these flowers , and the sounds are just overwhelming.  We keep bees too.( I’m just learning , so I’m not bee expert yet but my wife’s uncle is and has had them here for years )   So there will be an active and low dull “buzzzzz” that never stops.  Then you’ll have the chorus of chirps.  I mean those guys talk and talk and talk.  And sometimes argue over a single flower. And they have probably near a million to choose from. 😂.    It’s good calm fun.  And they’ll ignore you while you’re out there.  They have a one track mind. “ food”.  

• Like 2

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Following my demanding weekend of work I find myself without enough energy to play 18 holes. These old legs and feet were put to the test for 4 consecutive days. Now I do have my scramble tournament one week from today so I will suck it up and practice for a few hours. I stopped by the sandwich shop and grabbed a sub so I can have lunch in the air conditioned car halfway through my practice session. 

It's steaming out here. 80* with 80 % humidity. I broke a sweat just walking my gear from the car to the range. 😟

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

As I pulled into the course yesterday I saw a car I didn't recognize.  I had to read the cursive on the back to realize someone was driving a Lamborghini in MT yesterday and I thought that was weird.  No photos because I needed to warm up, but it was a dark green, and I suspect it was very fast in the proper conditions.

The divorce open is next weekend and my putting is in a shambles.  I am hitting the putts well enough, but the reads and speed as the greens go from punched and slow to a modicum of quick has been disastrous.  The next 4'er I make will be my first in about a week.

Another hot spell coming through the Rocky Mountains, with highs in the high 90's low 100s for the week.  Thankfully for the Open it will be in the low to mid 80's.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TiScape said:

Yeah, I sweat easily and run on the hot side as well… I think this was more about where all his sweat was. He sweating out his entire crotch, butt and upper legs. Quite unique and I don’t recall ever seeing a similar situation on the golf course. That’s why this was a “story” IMO. 

IMG_3992.jpeg

Next time he plays in the heat, in front of TV cameras, and the world, he should wear dark colored pants.

Being in the lead in a FedEx Cup tournament we can't prove that he didn't pee his pants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Next time he plays in the heat, in front of TV cameras, and the world, he should wear dark colored pants.

Being in the lead in a FedEx Cup tournament we can't prove that he didn't pee his pants.

He will probably have a new sponsor by Thursday.  No more going to Walmart to get a pair of Dockers.

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

33 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

As I pulled into the course yesterday I saw a car I didn't recognize.  I had to read the cursive on the back to realize someone was driving a Lamborghini in MT yesterday and I thought that was weird.  No photos because I needed to warm up, but it was a dark green, and I suspect it was very fast in the proper conditions.

The divorce open is next weekend and my putting is in a shambles.  I am hitting the putts well enough, but the reads and speed as the greens go from punched and slow to a modicum of quick has been disastrous.  The next 4'er I make will be my first in about a week.

Another hot spell coming through the Rocky Mountains, with highs in the high 90's low 100s for the week.  Thankfully for the Open it will be in the low to mid 80's.

And why is the tournament's nickname the Divorce Open P3P? What's the format? Couples only? 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. It’s really hurt several smaller operations here. Most had the insurance on their crop. But it honestly doesn’t pay as well as selling.  It’s just a market price guess.  

you’re spot on about the peaches from here being the best.  At one time in the 1920s-1970 ish Inman sc was literally the peach capital of the world.  The sc peach growers association headquarters was here.  And they supplied everything from baskets to tree slips and spraying machines it was so busy growing peaches.  It was peaches and the cotton mill.  That’s it.  Gerber ( baby food ) had a rail cars that arrived nightly to load the next morning heading to their plant , every single day.  That’s where all the small and bruised peaches went back then.  If I hear of any local left I’ll let you know.  

Appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, touch said:

Following my demanding weekend of work I find myself without enough energy to play 18 holes. These old legs and feet were put to the test for 4 consecutive days. Now I do have my scramble tournament one week from today so I will suck it up and practice for a few hours. I stopped by the sandwich shop and grabbed a sub so I can have lunch in the air conditioned car halfway through my practice session. 

It's steaming out here. 80* with 80 % humidity. I broke a sweat just walking my gear from the car to the range. 😟

16920269606761848708987634755044.jpg

16920271716312431574263127551277.jpg

71* with 87% humidity here. Expecting some light showers and hoping it will cool a little after they come through. The high humidity definitely makes it feel warmer than the temperature would suggest.

1 minute ago, sunbeltgolfer said:

71* with 87% humidity here. Expecting some light showers and hoping it will cool a little after they come through. The high humidity definitely makes it feel warmer than the temperature would suggest.

Cold front moving through DFW tonight - high of only 95° tomorrow with 30% humidity! No tee time yet, but I’ll be able to walk on as a single. Gotta take advantage - temps will be back in the 105° range in a day or so.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Cold front moving through DFW tonight - high of only 95° tomorrow with 30% humidity! No tee time yet, but I’ll be able to walk on as a single. Gotta take advantage - temps will be back in the 105° range in a day or so.

You might need a sweater if you play tomorrow.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, touch said:

And why is the tournament's nickname the Divorce Open P3P? What's the format? Couples only? 

It’s a mixed chapman so the Mrs hits

my drive and I hit hers then we alternate from the best ball until it’s holed.

Its pretty funny, but it’s not uncommon for some folks to end up in tears, as if their spouse is trying to hit the ball 10 yards or miss the putt that rolls out 10’ past the hole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, touch said:

16920269606761848708987634755044.jpg

16920271716312431574263127551277.jpg

One tip in that weather t… Moisture wicking pants 😉 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Not all of them-- That is a Columbia and Midlands deal--- Upstate tends to do what they call BBQ hash which can be done different ways. The Low Country and the Grand Strand tends to do it vinegar based Eastern NC style. Now some in my area do a tomato based sauce which aint too bad.

... Like anything with mustard in it, it tastes like mustard. 🤮  Coming from the vinegar based sauce in the Piedmont, it was inedible. Now I can do a red sauce if it isn't sweet. But I make my own sauce because nobody here knows how BBQ sauce should taste.

* You probably remember there was a little wooden shack in the middle of nowhere just outside Greenville and they opened early and when they were sold out they closed, so never open past 2pm or so and sometimes if someone had a big order they closed earlier. Killer pulled pork and worth the drive. 

The base of the recipe is apple cider vinegar which brings a strong acidic flavor that goes so well with rich, smoked pork. With the addition of ketchup and brown sugar, the flavor of the vinegar mellows just a bit. To take the sauce over the top, red pepper flakes and black pepper gives it a spicy kick that’s irresistible.

Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce is tangy, spicy and is a must when you're serving pulled pork! It's easy to make with just 6 ingredients.

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

14 minutes ago, TiScape said:

One tip in that weather t… Moisture wicking pants 😉 

Pants are only for those days when the temps dip below 60*.  A game time decision on temp, wind, sun before leaving for the course.  Golf is meant to be played in shorts.  At least in my world.

Joggers might be a consideration, if I could find a pair of sufficient inseam length.  That don't make me appear the dweeb with the bottom hem 5" above my ankles.  Bad sartorial look that might get banned at Bushwood. 

• Haha 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Like anything with mustard in it, it tastes like mustard. 🤮  Coming from the vinegar based sauce in the Piedmont, it was inedible. Now I can do a red sauce if it isn't sweet. But I make my own sauce because nobody here knows how BBQ sauce should taste.

* You probably remember there was a little wooden shack in the middle of nowhere just outside Greenville and they opened early and when they were sold out they closed, so never open past 2pm or so and sometimes if someone had a big order they closed earlier. Killer pulled pork and worth the drive. 

The base of the recipe is apple cider vinegar which brings a strong acidic flavor that goes so well with rich, smoked pork. With the addition of ketchup and brown sugar, the flavor of the vinegar mellows just a bit. To take the sauce over the top, red pepper flakes and black pepper gives it a spicy kick that’s irresistible.

Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce is tangy, spicy and is a must when you're serving pulled pork! It's easy to make with just 6 ingredients.

Pulled pig w/a vinegar based sauce. I love that! Last 2x I did PP I made an ACV based sauce with dried red chilies… Potent stuff. When I make it, it feels like I’m being pepper sprayed! Haha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Pants are only for those days when the temps dip below 60*.  A game time decision on temp, wind, sun before leaving for the course.  Golf is meant to be played in shorts.  At least in my world.

Joggers might be a consideration, if I could find a pair of sufficient inseam length.  That don't make me appear the dweeb with the bottom hem 5" above my ankles.  Bad sartorial look that might get banned at Bushwood. 

Aw yes, edit to moisture wicking material PERIOD! 🤣

Last joggers I bought came in 3 options for length to help with this “above the ankle” situation. I too prefer my joggers to come all the way down and almost touch the top of the shoes. A big mistake I think Sam Ryder made was having his expose the aforementioned 5” of ankle. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

I struggle with this.  For years I was a fan of musicianship to my limited knowledge, and still am to an extent.  But as I age I realize many of my favorite artists are not overly proficient by comparison to many.  Neil Young, Lou Reed, Grateful Dead, REM, Janes Addiction; I can’t explain it.  For me bands don’t have to the best to be great.

Agood band is greater than a  sum of it's parts

You don't have to be a virtuoso-you need to blend

On their own - Jerry and Neil are terrific players, tho

Edited by miamistomp
  • Like 3

• GwrxMod changed the title to The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)
  • GwrxMod changed the title to The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)