Ranking AZ Golfs 18th Hole's

puttnforthe8

Based on some thoughts in another post about TPC Stadium's finishing hole and other comments from @chisag, etc.  How about folks thoughts on the best finishing holes in AZ.  I started with the more obvious courses and stayed away from some of the private courses and outside the valley.  I felt the rankings get murky quickly - so anything from 15-25 were close and probably too tough to separate in a ranking.  

My thought process was Design, Strategy, Playability and looks....with some bias to the holes I like of course.  THOUGHTS?

image.png.d190fb5213874d4835241d685eb55595.png

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 4

• puttnforthe8 changed the title to Ranking AZ Golfs 18th Hole's
17 hours ago, cbbaron said:

No love for Eagle Mountain?

Answered in the other one too:

And you know what - I completely forgot Eagle Mountain.  I would probably put it towards the middle teens or so on the list I drew up.  I think the tee shot lacks a little something...I think maybe it should have a bunker on the left side to add a little more challenge and all the bunkers on the right are more of a prevention of going in the water, which I think should have been left in play - so a combo of bunker to catch a long right shot and if you are short and right the water is in play, or vice versa.

image.png.f48458dc30f5ac75d9879fbd47b08ce5.png

• Like 2

I guess I've always known it but, wasn't actively conscious that so many finishing holes are par 5's.

I like that you have TPC champions high on the list.  Far better finishing hole than its neighbor across the street. So much strategy based on the match.  I like that it has enough risk that the player in the lead will most likely lay up or play conservatively, but the player potentially needing to make up a stroke or two has an avenue, but it wont happen by fluke.  If the pin is on the far left it will require two really good shots for any look at eagle.  

• Like 1

In my opinion these 2 should be on the list:

IMG_8881.JPG.2281d370073da5fbf39e67272561943b.JPG

Estancia finishes with a long par 4 - one of the toughest on the course. It starts with a scenic elevated tee shot and the 2nd shot is uphill into one of the trickiest greens around.

1383932284_LasSendas18.jpg.d12f72c51e0659ef33ec330ab92a6da7.jpg

530195071_LasSendas1802.jpg.88aad89475f83dc02c7a736b44e9fcca.jpg

The par 5 18th at Las Sendas has a terrific view of Camelback and the Valley. The more you challenge the lake on the right off the tee, the closer you are to the green. The layup to the right will get your attention. Otherwise it's all carry if you're going for it in 2. The green has subtle breaks and is one of the most difficult to read on the course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golf Pig said:

In my opinion these 2 should be on the list:

IMG_8881.JPG.2281d370073da5fbf39e67272561943b.JPG

Estancia finishes with a long par 4 - one of the toughest on the course. It starts with a scenic elevated tee shot and the 2nd shot is uphill into one of the trickiest greens around.

1383932284_LasSendas18.jpg.d12f72c51e0659ef33ec330ab92a6da7.jpg

530195071_LasSendas1802.jpg.88aad89475f83dc02c7a736b44e9fcca.jpg

The par 5 18th at Las Sendas has a terrific view of Camelback and the Valley. The more you challenge the lake on the right off the tee, the closer you are to the green. The layup to the right will get your attention. Otherwise it's all carry if you're going for it in 2. The green has subtle breaks and is one of the most difficult to read on the course.

Good call on Las Sendas 18 - for as bad as the course is as a whole, 18 is not bad.   I do think the lay up over the water on the 2nd shot is unnecessary and a little silly - if someone goes over there, the group has to wait for them to get to their ball and everyone else just finishes up.  

Estancia 18 is good - I left most privates off.  Blackstone finishes on a decent par 5, but one could argue that the 9s should be flipped and the finishing hole is the par 5 9th with the framed green.  

Second Las Sendas 18. Arrowhead CC has/had a fun risk reward par 5 I always liked. On your rankings I feel like these 3 are the same hole but you have one ranked good and others as trash. McDowell mt 18 if not playing the tips, 18 TS South and Dive Valley ranch. 18 McDowell from the tips is a completely different hole and when course was designed it was number 9 before they flipped the 9's. Other than that all 3 are short holes with trouble right.

• Like 2

18 at Los Caballeros in Wickenburg is a fun par 5. It is scenic and provides a good opportunity for birdie or eagle, but is by no means a pushover. I like the fact that the tee shot is slightly downhill and provides plenty of width.  It really gives you a chance to go after your last tee shot of the day. The bunkering in the layup zone and around the green provides plenty of strategy. 

For top level tournament golf, I like the idea of a bit of a ball buster par 4 or a risk/reward par 5. However, 99.9% of rounds are for fun (even if there is some serious wagering). I don’t think it is a lot of fun finishing with an X and/or lost ball(s) in the desert/water.  Keep the interest/strategy up without bashing somebody over the head on their way out!

• Like 2

I like this list.  It gets tough really quick but there are certainly a few which stick out.  Vicotry is a clear #1 in my book and It's not close. Such a fun tee shot, a cool view, and just a really good closing hole overall.  

I'd actually have Champions in the second slot.  Especially if you're playing competitive rounds/games with you buddies.  I've seen so many 3 shot swings on that hole.  Very tough tee shot if you have the distance to bring the right bunker into play.  Then it's a tough tee shot where you really need to hit draw but have water looming left if you over cook it (plus the whole green works toward the water).  Really good closing hole.  

One spot I don't agree with you on is #18 at Southern Dones.  For me it just doesn't do it.  I'd have paired more with the Whirlwind closing holes.  I think my issue with it stems from the fact that it's basically just a replay of hole #9 but with water on the right side by the green.  Its a fairly easy tee shot with a ton of room in the fairway.  The approach shot is obviously more challenging with the water but it's more visually intimidating than it actually plays. Its an approach which is hard to stick close but pretty easy to just get on the green.  I find more times than not it's a pretty simple 4 or 5.  While isn't too dissimilar from the Whirlwind holes.  

I'd have Raptor higher than Talon and much higher on the list in general.  But I'm a sucker for a good risk/reward par 5 to close out a round.  

WeKoPa Saguaro's 18th hole is great but for me it's a bit out of place.  I've had setups there where it's a longer Par 4 than some of the Par 5's.  For a course which doesn't play overly long, having a Par 4 that long, with an uphill tee shot where if you don't hit perfect and catch the speed slot, just plays even longer... it feels completely out of place.  Feels like it should be on Cholla and not Saguaro.  

I actually have the same issue, but due to the opposite reasons, as to why I don't love the closing holes at Quintero and Wickenburg.  They almost feel like a let down compared to the stretch of hole you play before it.  Quintero has an incredibly strong middle section of the course with a lot of undulation and cool foothill views.  Then you get to 18 and it's a kind of a slight downhill dogleg par 4 which is a bit boring.  It's like a simple 3w off the tee and a mid to short iron into the green.  Wickenburg has that incredible stretch of holes in the middle of the back 9... and then 18 is just a flat par 5 which doesn't really look like the rest of the course.  It's a fine hole, if it were in the middle of the course I wouldn't think twice about it but after playing a long stretch of demanding holes it feels like they just put a hole there to put a hole there.  

Edited by SilverBullets
  • Like 3

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Not the course that Dinosaur Mountain is, but I always thought that 18 on Sidewinder was a nice hole. Has the tee shot begging you to cut the corner or to hit a swinging draw. Landing zone is much smaller than it looks from the tee the further you hit it. Great uphill approach with some forced desert carry and the clubhouse and actual Dino Mountain backdrop. 

64D3C4AD-B7F5-57AE-8B0DDEE167DC727C.jpg

64D55501-B327-1485-A683EB301F4EED58.jpg

• Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

2 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Not the course that Dinosaur Mountain is, but I always thought that 18 on Sidewinder was a nice hole. Has the tee shot begging you to cut the corner or to hit a swinging draw. Landing zone is much smaller than it looks from the tee the further you hit it. Great uphill approach with some forced desert carry and the clubhouse and actual Dino Mountain backdrop. 

64D3C4AD-B7F5-57AE-8B0DDEE167DC727C.jpg

64D55501-B327-1485-A683EB301F4EED58.jpg

I forgot about this one.  That is a really good golf hole.  It's easily the best hole on Sidewider.  

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5