Travelling with Golf bag updates - 2023

1 hour ago, njlam said:

I have a direct flight from the US to Heathrow, connecting to Edinbough, with a one hour layover.

I'd be concerned about whether you will make your connection with only a 1 hour layover. 

On my last few flights on BA thru Heathrow, I was transported all over the airport on a bus after disembarking from my arrival aircraft.    

55 minutes ago, geauxtigers777 said:

I will be flying to Ireland in June connecting via LHR (BA) to SNN (AL).  I have a 2 hour layover.  I am flying Business Class if that changes likelihood of bag handling (priority bag).  Would you use Shipsticks?

“Supposedly” business class gets priority, but it’s always a crapshoot getting your clubs transferred during the summer at Heathrow. The good news is that Aer Lingus is going to be adding more US flights to Shannon next year. I would much rather pay the extra to fly direct to Ireland and drive from Dublin if necessary than risk Heathrow in the summertime.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

6 hours ago, njlam said:

Thanks. I am flying BA as well. Let me know when you are going.

My trip is in late July...hopefully there will be a track record of experiences by then,

I leave May 30 and return July 11. If you can make it over to Aberdeen and wish to play Murcar, I'd be glad to have a fellow WRXer as a guest!

At the moment, if I can get the golf club to accept Ship Sticks, I will ship them. My airbnb host doesn't seem friendly, so I haven't asked - but is an untrusty airbnb host worst than Heathrow bag check??  I will check them on the flight home (I actually have a travel set, so it is not a big deal at all if they are delayed on the way home. Otherwise, I will play the Heathrow roulette 😉

Either way, I will document the journey. 

• Like 2

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

5 hours ago, hammergolf said:

“Supposedly” business class gets priority, but it’s always a crapshoot getting your clubs transferred during the summer at Heathrow. The good news is that Aer Lingus is going to be adding more US flights to Shannon next year. I would much rather pay the extra to fly direct to Ireland and drive from Dublin if necessary than risk Heathrow in the summertime.

Business class priority was total BS. Bags came out at random with no regards to the priority tags, and didn’t save us from our lost bags. 

In the US the priority tags seem to mean something -  but it was random chaos in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I’ve been going to Scotland every year since 2006 (2020 being the exception) and last year absolutely infuriated me. I flew business class, so that was no help with all my bags arriving with me. My golf bag did not get transferred to my scheduled flight from Heathrow to Glasgow; instead, it came about four hours later on another flight. Luckily, I wasn’t playing that day, so it was nothing more than an inconvenience of having to return to the airport to pick up my golf bag.

The real “fun” started when I got to the Glasgow Airport two weeks later to return home. When I handed the BA agent my passport, she claimed that I canceled my flight. I showed her the BA app on my phone which clearly showed my next flight as GLA to LHR, and she replied that I couldn’t trust the BA app. She ultimately refused to help me and I missed my flight. This also meant I missed my flight to the US. After spending hours on the phone, I finally got rebooked on a flight to LHR and then spent the night at an airport hotel. I was also booked on the direct flight to my home (Nashville) for the next day.

After arriving again at LHR the next day for the Nashville flight, I finally got a manager to explain why I was not allowed on my originally scheduled LHR flight the day prior. When my golf bag wasn’t transferred to my scheduled flight from LHR to GLA and instead came on a later flight, the BA system flagged me as a “no-show” since I wasn’t on the same flight with my golf bag. So, the BA reservation system automatically canceled my return leg from GLA to LHR. Almost one year later, BA has done nothing to compensate me for their clear error or to take ownership of their error.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, jdpilot said:

I’ve been going to Scotland every year since 2006 (2020 being the exception) and last year absolutely infuriated me. I flew business class, so that was no help with all my bags arriving with me. My golf bag did not get transferred to my scheduled flight from Heathrow to Glasgow; instead, it came about four hours later on another flight. Luckily, I wasn’t playing that day, so it was nothing more than an inconvenience of having to return to the airport to pick up my golf bag.

The real “fun” started when I got to the Glasgow Airport two weeks later to return home. When I handed the BA agent my passport, she claimed that I canceled my flight. I showed her the BA app on my phone which clearly showed my next flight as GLA to LHR, and she replied that I couldn’t trust the BA app. She ultimately refused to help me and I missed my flight. This also meant I missed my flight to the US. After spending hours on the phone, I finally got rebooked on a flight to LHR and then spent the night at an airport hotel. I was also booked on the direct flight to my home (Nashville) for the next day.

After arriving again at LHR the next day for the Nashville flight, I finally got a manager to explain why I was not allowed on my originally scheduled LHR flight the day prior. When my golf bag wasn’t transferred to my scheduled flight from LHR to GLA and instead came on a later flight, the BA system flagged me as a “no-show” since I wasn’t on the same flight with my golf bag. So, the BA reservation system automatically canceled my return leg from GLA to LHR. Almost one year later, BA has done nothing to compensate me for their clear error or to take ownership of their error.

Just another reason to avoid LHR like the plague. I travel and fly A LOT. There are a few airports that I just refuse to connect through.

LHR

ATL

EWR

• Like 1

The pro at the club just accepted to receive my clubs from ship sticks and hold them for me. So that is one headache removed. On the way home I will be checking them in - again I will take the chance because they are my travel set. 

I will share that experience with you - hopefully there won't be anything to share. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

9 hours ago, jdpilot said:

Sorry to admit this as a Brit but BA are dreadful- I crossed them off the list a long time ago - I had a fully transferable fully re- routable ticket from LHR to Moscow and they bumped me and my wife and child off the booked confirmed and re-confirmed flight - then the agent told me I would have to buy new tickets for 15k gbp - I told him to go and get someone who was semi intelligent to speak to me - they still didn’t re route us through Lufthansa - we wasted a day in London- and got the same flight the next day - plus they charged a rebooking fee - I was F**kin livid - never again!!!

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, jdpilot said:

we had a similar issue. When I logged into the BA app it actually showed TWO bookings for our Heathrow to Edinburgh leg. One in business one in economy. I called and was told it was just the app don’t worry about it. 

when we went to the airport in the US, the agents couldn’t check us in for the second flight, said that they couldn’t do anything about it but no worries it would get fixed in London. 

stood in a massive line in Heathrow for customer service, none of them could understand how it happened or how to fix it. Finally got on the phone with someone who could fix it, we lost our business class seats, never got any money back on that, the gate agent said we were just lucky to make it on the plane at all. 

I will never fly British Airways again. 

And don’t get me started on their ridiculous business class lie-flat seats where a stranger has to step over you to get in and out of their seat. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Masters and Easter Everyone!

So I took the cautious route and booked round trip with Ship Sticks instead of Ship Sticks outward and check in homeward.   I will report how things went. Sorry I won't be able to report the 'check in at Heathrow' situation this summer. 

My trip is May 30-July 11 so my report will be quite a while away.

Happy golf everyone! :)))

I just booked Shipstix for the outgoing leg of my trip to Scotland (via Heathrow) in July.

They are having a 25% off special for Master weekend (ends tonight). The trip is too expensive to risk not having my clubs.

In Ireland last year, 2 of the guys on our trip did not have their clubs...Not going to happen in Scotland...

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

16 minutes ago, njlam said:

I just booked Shipstix for the outgoing leg of my trip to Scotland (via Heathrow) in July.

They are having a 25% off special for Master weekend (ends tonight). The trip is too expensive to risk not having my clubs.

In Ireland last year, 2 of the guys on our trip did not have their clubs...Not going to happen in Scotland...

I guess you took the pricier but safer route as well. Up in the North we only had 20% off!!!  BA was going to charge me @200$ both ways for the golf bag, so I look at it as I save another 200$

Have a great trip! DM me if you're in the Aberdeen area! Murcar is a beauty!! 

My error, it was 20% not 25%.

I was surprised the normal Shipsticks fee was for a 42lbs golf bag...I basically used my discount to pay for the XL additional shipping fee for a 55lbs bag.

On the way back, I will check my golf bag as part of my air travel. I think I get two bags included in the fare, but no delivery guarantee....

Edited by njlam

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

1 hour ago, njlam said:

My error, it was 20% not 25%.

I was surprised the normal Shipsticks fee was for a 42lbs golf bag...I basically used my discount to pay for the XL additional shipping fee for a 55lbs bag.

On the way back, I will check my golf bag as part of my air travel. I think I get two bags included in the fare, but no delivery guarantee....

I usually travel with a carry bag, so standard bag for me even though I will put the bag on a trolley. My cart bag would seem too cumbersome to haul around.

Please let us know how the check bag return goes! Fingers crossed!

On 4/9/2023 at 6:05 PM, Quebec Club Ho said:

Happy Masters and Easter Everyone!

So I took the cautious route and booked round trip with Ship Sticks instead of Ship Sticks outward and check in homeward.   I will report how things went. Sorry I won't be able to report the 'check in at Heathrow' situation this summer. 

My trip is May 30-July 11 so my report will be quite a while away.

Happy golf everyone! :)))

Wow that is a long trip!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I can report 6 flights to and from the UK this winter with skis.

Zurich airport didn't load my skis on my homeward flight but from the Scottish parts everything was fine!

My dad has travelled in a. big group to Turkey in the early spring and all of them about 20 all their clubs were fine!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

13 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Wow that is a long trip!

Funny, at home I am a public golfer.  Murcar was one of the few clubs that offered overseas membership, so I jumped on it based on what a couple of the WRX members said about the club - welcoming, friendly and a great mix of walks of life. I don't only save on daily green fees, but I just want to be at the club the entire trip. Very little interest in exploring other clubs. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I travel. Like, a LOT for business (and golf). Domestically and internationally. Have used ShipSticks since I found them (unless I'm flying on a private jet). The major airlines have serious ground crew staffing issues right now. That's just reality in 2023 (and has been since 2020). If I'm flying non-stop JFK - MIA? Will probably risk checking the clubs. But anything with two or three hops I'm just going to ShipSticks door-to door, house to hotel and back. They've never let me down. Clubs always there on time, waiting for me at my hotel. 

This is purely anecdotal - personal experience. But I currently do NOT trust airlines (that have badly let me down). I do trust ShipSticks (that never has). Yeah, costs a bit more - but way lowers    my stress level.

My $0.02. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...

Just arrived in Edinburgh from the US with a 2.5 hrs layover in Heathrow.  Glad to say my bags and clubs made the transfer without issue.

Edit:  I flew British Airways business class so I got the priority tags on my bags.  I'm not sure if that made any difference but thought it'd be relevant info.

Edited by Paully
  • Like 3

Update:

Ship Sticks picked up my clubs (DHL) from my house. ETA was Friday March 26 at the golf course. They arrived today! I am only leaving on May 30 but I can't describe how happy I am that my babies arrived and are safe!

I just hope my checked luggage arrives safe!  I played this safe as well, I packed all the stuff I can't live without / very difficult to find into my backpack. For me it was 2 pairs of pants & polos (I am XS top and 32 /28 in pants, not a big deal but to find the size and then potentially hem the leg 😶), rangefinder, current converter, sunglasses and a compression top and sleeves. 

So my luggage is basically food (protein snacks ), underwear, socks and t-shirts 🤣

Next update - the return 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

Update:

Ship Sticks picked up my clubs (DHL) from my house. ETA was Friday March 26 at the golf course. They arrived today! I am only leaving on May 30 but I can't describe how happy I am that my babies arrived and are safe!

I just hope my checked luggage arrives safe!  I played this safe as well, I packed all the stuff I can't live without / very difficult to find into my backpack. For me it was 2 pairs of pants & polos (I am XS top and 32 /28 in pants, not a big deal but to find the size and then potentially hem the leg 😶), rangefinder, current converter, sunglasses and a compression top and sleeves. 

So my luggage is basically food (protein snacks ), underwear, socks and t-shirts 🤣

Great plan. Have a great trip!

11 hours ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

Update:

haha don't worry about the return; you will be golfed out by then!

29 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

I am always surprised people don't carry some clothes etc for long haul flights. If I am playing golf my shoes are with me plus some other bits and bobs. I guess once bitten twice shy. 

I do that skiing with boots as they are fully moulded to your leg but not golf.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

On 5/24/2023 at 7:30 PM, hammergolf said:

Great plan. Have a great trip!

Merci! 😄

• 3 weeks later...

We traveled to Scotland on 6/3.  Most of us flew direct from Boston to Edinburgh on Delta, and everyone's luggage and golf bags arrived fine.  One guy flew through London Heathrow and his golf bag did not make the connection to Edinburgh and did not arrive for a couple of days.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

22 hours ago, geauxtigers777 said:

Any more updates. Have to make the decision of whether to fly with clubs in 2 weeks or ship them next week. 

It’s a coin toss at best for your clubs to make it on time if you’re connecting through London. I would use Shipsticks.