Travelling with Golf bag updates - 2023

Hello All,

Sorry if I should have just contiued a previous thread but...

Wondering how WRXers have faired with checking their bags in with airlines?

I am returning to Scotland in June and July and the debate arises again - Ship sticks vs check in. I did ship sticks last time but it was VERY expensive (Canadian dollars here).

Merci 🙂

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

Are you connecting? Or flying direct to Scotland from Canada. In my opinion, connecting through Heathrow is always a toss up in normal times during the summer. It was a nightmare the last couple years. I would either look for a direct flight to Edinburgh from Canada or the USA.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I’ve never flown overseas with my sticks, but have traveled domestically with them quite a bit. I’ve checked them and used Ship Sticks and never had lost clubs either way. Ship Sticks was super convenient but there was always a little anxiety wondering if they actually made it. It’s been awhile since I used them. Maybe they now do something like Amazon showing delivery. I fly out of DFW so virtually every flight is direct and checking clubs isn’t much of an issue. 

Two trips to Scotland from U.S. (connecting in Amsterdam and Toronto) and one direct to Ireland.

Not sure what my experience is worth, you can't predict what will happen, mine have been mostly positive.  Glasgow was much easier to get in and out of as far as luggage, IMO, vs. Edinburgh but kind of a minor thing and we landed in Glasgow in the early morning.  Used Club Gloves for the bags, no issues, just pack them properly.

The first time overseas was to Scotland and an issue arose because the dope who checked our bags in Minneapolis only sent them to Amsterdam and didn't pay attention to the fact the ultimate destination was Edinburgh.  So now, I double check with the airport person when they get the bags.  We were a little distressed to find our bags hadn't gotten off the plane, but the KLM rep made a quick call and there are regular flights from Amsterdam and the bags showed up about four hours later.  Edinburgh wasn't on our itinerary, so the delay gave us the opportunity to grad a cab downtown and we had bonus sightseeing. Only problem was the person who assured me, and (haha) had to reassure me, since she knew we were leaving the airport our bags would be waiting and secure behind the counter went off duty while we were gone.  When I got back they weren't there and the person now there couldn't account for them other than to say she could tell me they were showing they showed up.  My daughter saw them across the way sitting by some sort of couch in the middle of where all the folks were walking through the airport, lol.  So could have gone really wrong, but didn't!

I thought about Ship Sticks when we went to Ireland, but with all involved yes, it was going to be really expensive, vs. free, and I didn't want to be without my clubs for what was going to be basically a week before and a week after the trip.  And the more I read, the more I realized the packing wasn't going to get me any extra protection and too much hassle on the return end of the trip in Ireland given our intinerary.  I like having an app that shows me where they are now and even pictures! 

• Like 1

Last year on our trip to Ireland, anyone who connected thru Heathrow had to play with rentals.

For this years trip to Scotland (in July), many of us are connecting thru Heathrow on the way to Edinburgh.

I am torn over what to do. Shipstix, or roll the dice connecting? Anyone with recent Heathrow experience?

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

11 minutes ago, njlam said:

Last year on our trip to Ireland, anyone who connected thru Heathrow had to play with rentals.

For this years trip to Scotland (in July), many of us are connecting thru Heathrow on the way to Edinburgh.

I am torn over what to do. Shipstix, or roll the dice connecting? Anyone with recent Heathrow experience?

While most flights that connect through Heathrow tend to be cheaper, to me it’s not worth the risk of not getting your clubs. You read about Tour pros flying in the for the Scottish and and Open Championship having their clubs not arrive every year. I’m sure more make it than not, but it’s not worth the risk for me. Whenever I travel overseas to play golf I always fly direct from the US. 

On 3/17/2023 at 3:31 PM, hammergolf said:

Are you connecting? Or flying direct to Scotland from Canada. In my opinion, connecting through Heathrow is always a toss up in normal times during the summer. It was a nightmare the last couple years. I would either look for a direct flight to Edinburgh from Canada or the USA.

Flight is already booked. Montreal - Heathrow - Aberdeen. 

I suppose I should ask my club if they would even receive Ship Sticks first or my airbnb host (doesn't seem to friendly) first.

The last airbnb was nice enough to accept them.

I am leaning towards checking them in because I have a 4 hour layover at Heathrow - so the timeline should be ok for getting it on my connection. 

L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

I am leaning towards Shipstix to Edinburgh, then checking them on the way back...

Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400

5 minutes ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

Flight is already booked. Montreal - Heathrow - Aberdeen. 

I suppose I should ask my club if they would even receive Ship Sticks first or my airbnb host (doesn't seem to friendly) first.

The last airbnb was nice enough to accept them.

I am leaning towards checking them in because I have a 4 hour layover at Heathrow - so the timeline should be ok for getting it on my connection. 

If you’re a Canadian citizen I would think you don’t need to go through passport control since it’s a member of the commonwealth. I would recommend only checking your bag to Heathrow and get them in baggage claim there, then check them at the counter for your flight to Aberdeen since you have plenty of time. I’m not positive, but check on what the process is for entering the uk. I believe you only need to show your ID to enter as a citizen of the commonwealth.

3 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

If you’re a Canadian citizen I would think you don’t need to go through passport control since it’s a member of the commonwealth. I would recommend only checking your bag to Heathrow and get them in baggage claim there, then check them at the counter for your flight to Aberdeen since you have plenty of time. I’m not positive, but check on what the process is for entering the uk. I believe you only need to show your ID to enter as a citizen of the commonwealth.

I'm flying British Airways and the bags will go directly on the plane to Aberdeen. So no pick up and check in again. 

15 minutes ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

I'm flying British Airways and the bags will go directly on the plane to Aberdeen. So no pick up and check in again. 

They will need to be transferred to another plane in Heathrow since the plane you arrive on isn’t the same plane that will take you to Aberdeen. You can tell them to only check them through to Heathrow, then pick them up at baggage claim there. Then go to the departure counter and check them for your Aberdeen flight. Then you don’t have to rely on baggage handlers to transfer your bags. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

They will need to be transferred to another plane in Heathrow since the plane you arrive on isn’t the same plane that will take you to Aberdeen. You can tell them to only check them through to Heathrow, then pick them up at baggage claim there. Then go to the departure counter and check them for your Aberdeen flight. Then you don’t have to rely on baggage handlers to transfer your bags. 

I never thought of that! Another option for my decision!

38 minutes ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

I never thought of that! Another option for my decision!

This means that you'll have to wait for your clubs at baggage claim, then check them in again, and then go back thru security.   I don't see how this provides you with a better chance of your golf clubs reaching you in Aberdeen.   

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DrDon said:

This means that you'll have to wait for your clubs at baggage claim, then check them in again, and then go back thru security.   I don't see how this provides you with a better chance of your golf clubs reaching you in Aberdeen.   

Yes....I was thinking about that. Excellent point.

The Apple Air Tags will allow you to know if your clubs make the transfer, but if they don’t, the pictures of rooms filled with  untransferred golf bags at Heathrow are still seared in my mind from last year…

• Like 1

I will never chance it with Heathrow again. On our trip last year, my dad's clubs got delayed. We only got saved because my flight was a day later than his. We managed to convince a bag handler in Edinburgh to break the rules, and before I exited customs he let me sort through the massive pile of lost bags and find my dad's clubs in the pile and take them out. Somehow mine made it on time thankfully....

2 hours ago, njlam said:

I am leaning towards Shipstix to Edinburgh, then checking them on the way back...

On the return trip last year, my clubs got lost for 10 days. So hope you don't have any post-trip golf plans...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrDon said:

The reason bags don’t arrive in Scotland is that they don’t get transferred in Heathrow. If he gets his bag himself and checks it in at the counter for the Aberdeen flight he does not have worry about the transfer being missed since he’s doing it himself. He has a four hour layover so plenty of time to do it. If he trusts the transfer will happen then he wouldn’t be considering Shipsticks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

I will never chance it with Heathrow again. On our trip last year, my dad's clubs got delayed. We only got saved because my flight was a day later than his. We managed to convince a bag handler in Edinburgh to break the rules, and before I exited customs he let me sort through the massive pile of lost bags and find my dad's clubs in the pile and take them out. Somehow mine made it on time thankfully....

On the return trip last year, my clubs got lost for 10 days. So hope you don't have any post-trip golf plans...

Exactly….

Never had an issue flying with clubs into the UK - but I normally avoid Heathrow and fly to Manchester- they have always been ok but I can see that there is potential if flying through Heathrow to lose clubs have them delayed- you need to check them the whole way and check that the tagging is correct before you slot them into the baggage system at departure end. The baggage system should get a properly tagged bag to its onward flight no problem. Only time I ever had an issue was in Hong Kong Airport - I arrived from UK and got all my bags except my clubs - but was flying out again in two days to Bangkok to play - CX both flights - the clubs arrived as I was checking in to BKK so kudos to them for sorting it out. Never tried ship-sticks not available in my neck of the woods.

18 hours ago, st1800e said:

Please tell us more! 

I have an Apple AirTag in my golf bag and track it that way. For $25 (US) it's a pretty simple way to keep up with 'em. It's saved me a few blood pressure points the couple times last year my bags didn't arrive when I did.

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

2 minutes ago, nitram said:

I have an Apple AirTag in my golf bag and track it that way. For $25 (US) it's a pretty simple way to keep up with 'em. It's saved me a few blood pressure points the couple times last year my bags didn't arrive when I did.

The AirTag was an even bigger save for me last year. 

I used Shipsticks for a tournament b/c I had business travel and a quick turnaround that same week. My clubs arrived on schedule the day before me to the club. 

I get there the next day, ask the bag guys where my clubs are...no where to be seen...

Turns out the Fedex driver picked them up with the outgoing packages. 

We used the AirTag to track the driver and my bag, we were able to catch up with him and get the bag back in time. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, nitram said:

Yes!  getting 4 of those. Was curious about the airline app that was mentioned.  Apparently not used by my airline-Westjet.  

Okay good thoughts here...lots of places for things to go wrong. 

I have a direct flight from the US to Heathrow, connecting to Edinbough, with a one hour layover.

Do I have to pick up my bags in Heathrow for any sort of customs/passport check, then recheck them for the flight to Edinbough?

I have been assuming my bags would be checked straight thru from the US to Edinbough...don't want to make an a** of U and ME.

45 minutes ago, njlam said:

I have a direct flight from the US to Heathrow, connecting to Edinbough, with a one hour layover.

Do I have to pick up my bags in Heathrow for any sort of customs/passport check, then recheck them for the flight to Edinbough?

I have been assuming my bags would be checked straight thru from the US to Edinbough...don't want to make an a** of U and ME.

I love the 'good' thoughts positive vibe njlam! I am flying British airways on both flights - so BA will take care of the bag transfer.  I just called BA to confirm. Perhaps call your airline and confirm. 

Edited by Quebec Club Ho

1 minute ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

I love the 'good' thoughts positive vibe njlam! I am flying British airways on both flights - so BA will be no pick-up and re-check.  I just call BA to confirm. Perhaps call your airline and confirm. 

Thanks. I am flying BA as well. Let me know when you are going.

My trip is in late July...hopefully there will be a track record of experiences by then,

39 minutes ago, njlam said:

Since you only have a 1hr layover you wouldn’t have time to recheck them. You’ll have to clear passport control when you land In Heathrow. It’s standard to have your bags checked through to your final destination, but you can request they not be. The issue with Heathrow, especially in the summer months is that there are so many golf bags coming in that they don’t all get transferred.