Travelling with Golf bag updates - 2023

I am flying to Edinburgh connecting thru Heathrow next month, with only a 1 hour layover on BA.

My first round is at Turnberry on 7/22. Shipsticks is picking up my clubs on 7/12 with delivery to my tour operator in Edinburgh expected on 7/19 leaving me a two day window for screwups.

This trip has been two years in the making. No need to lose sleep over something that can be hedged.

FYI, Shipsticks usually has a sale the weekend of most Majors....US Open is this weekend.

This is my first time using Shipsticks and I was surprised that their regular service is for a 43lbs golf bag...I used my discount to upgrade to a 57lbs bag....

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

2 hours ago, njlam said:

I am flying to Edinburgh connecting thru Heathrow next month, with only a 1 hour layover on BA.

My first round is at Turnberry on 7/22. Shipsticks is picking up my clubs on 7/12 with delivery to my tour operator in Edinburgh expected on 7/19 leaving me a two day window for screwups.

This trip has been two years in the making. No need to lose sleep over something that can be hedged.

FYI, Shipsticks usually has a sale the weekend of most Majors....US Open is this weekend.

This is my first time using Shipsticks and I was surprised that their regular service is for a 43lbs golf bag...I used my discount to upgrade to a 57lbs bag....

Very good choice. With that tight a connection probably not much chance your clubs would make it.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 4 weeks later...

Two weeks ago, my connection through LHR was two hours and clubs did not make it. Eight of us from a couple different cities. We all received our luggage on time, but golf bags took an extra day and half. Some two. After talking with many others around Scotland, this is the norm. Some had been there all week with no clubs and really not sure where they were. I used AirTags for peace of mind. In the future when having to connect through LHR, I will certainly use shipsticks. Playing Nairn the first round with rental clubs and no rain gear (it was raining) was miserable. 

• Like 1

TM M2 9.5 Aldila Tour Green 65X
TM M1 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 75TX
Ping Anser 20* hybrid UST VTS silver 100S
Ping I200 4-UW Z-65
Ping I-15 4-UW Z-Z65
Cleveland RTX 3 54* and 58*
Odyssey Two ball Fang
Ping Hoofer 2014

2 hours ago, hacker101 said:

Two weeks ago, my connection through LHR was two hours and clubs did not make it. Eight of us from a couple different cities. We all received our luggage on time, but golf bags took an extra day and half. Some two. After talking with many others around Scotland, this is the norm. Some had been there all week with no clubs and really not sure where they were. I used AirTags for peace of mind. In the future when having to connect through LHR, I will certainly use shipsticks. Playing Nairn the first round with rental clubs and no rain gear (it was raining) was miserable. 

Exactly why I advise everyone to avoid connecting through Heathrow at all cost. We will hear stories this week and next week about pros clubs not arriving with them. Spend the extra $ to try and get a direct flight from the US to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Going to Scotland and not having your clubs sucks.

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Exactly why I advise everyone to avoid connecting through Heathrow at all cost. We will hear stories this week and next week about pros clubs not arriving with them. Spend the extra $ to try and get a direct flight from the US to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Going to Scotland and not having your clubs sucks.

Funny thing is I have flown Houston to Aberdeen return about 25 times; through LHR, Manchester and Schiphol and never lost my golf clubs.

I have once lost my bike flying - Houston - Miami - LHR - Aberdeen. My bike is worth more than 15000 dollars so I was quite worried as I watched it go - IAH - Miami - IAH - New York - LHR - Aberdeen and arrive 3 days later!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

7 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Funny thing is I have flown Houston to Aberdeen return about 25 times; through LHR, Manchester and Schiphol and never lost my golf clubs.

I have once lost my bike flying - Houston - Miami - LHR - Aberdeen. My bike is worth more than 15000 dollars so I was quite worried as I watched it go - IAH - Miami - IAH - New York - LHR - Aberdeen and arrive 3 days later!

I’ve never had an issue with any airport in Europe other than Heathrow. 

A little story about my recent trip with golf clubs.  

Went to St Andrews late May of this year.  Flew BA from Phoenix to LHR, then to Edinburgh.  I debated using Ship Sticks for months leading up to the trip, but since we were arriving 3 days before my first round, I decided to take them on the plane.  I placed Apple Airtags in all our checked luggage.  We landed in London just about the time BA's computer system crashed.  We sat on the tarmac for about 30 minutes after landing before a gate was open.  Our layover was fairly short and because of the delay getting off the plane, we missed our connecting flight to Edinburgh.  We finally made it to Edinburgh after a 6 hour sit at LHR, and all our bags (including golf clubs) made it without issue.  

On the trip home, we landed in Phoenix around 6pm.  As soon as we walked to baggage claim our luggage was on the carousel.  Waited and waited but no golf clubs.  There were several golf bags on the carousel, just not mine.  We confirmed with the attendant that all bags had been delivered to the carousel.  I could see my golf bag still in the terminal via the Airtag, but they could not find them.  They said my only option was to file a missing bag claim on the BA website, but there was nothing they could do at the airport.  So I filed a claim that night once I got home.  I could still see the clubs located in the terminal until I went to bed.  The next morning, I woke up and checked their location.  They were at Love Field in Dallas!  WTH??  Since we were on an international flight, the airline didn't transfer the clubs from BA to Southwest Airlines to go to Dallas.  Another passenger got them off the carousel and took them on their connecting flight.  I guess my bag looked like theirs?  I don't know.  I had a huge name tag on the bag, but regardless, they were in Dallas.  

I called the baggage office at Love Field and explained the situation and described the bag.  They found it pretty quickly and shipped them FedEx overnight to my house.  Long story short, no matter what the airline does, if another passenger grabs your bag and walks out with it, good luck getting it back.  Without the Airtag, I might have never gotten them back.  I'll be shipping my clubs next time.  

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

Hi All

Quick update - more about travel and mini rant than my clubs

My 6 weeks are done at Murcar as of today. Clubs were picked up by ship sticks (fed ex) and are on schedule.

I, on the other hand am still stuck in Aberdeen. BA over booked the flight to LHR (and lost my connection , that I paid extra for the emergency exit seat!) and I lost. I didn’t check in on line but in person. Maybe it’s time to do that - however, one of others who also lost his seat checked in online and even had a seat assigned! 
The BA staff were super nice and helpful getting me on klm the next day with better times than the OG flights. But it took 3 hours! BA still cheaped out, no voucher on hotel food taxi, just a ‘go on the website’ to claim expenses 🙄 

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

all the hotels @ the airport were full to add insult. Thankfully, a concierge was kind enough to find a room for the night in the city centre 

No thanks BA 😡

Scott isn’t wrong about Heathrow and all that is related to it

seriously thinking next trip - although it’ll be at least a couple of years - pay a little more and go KLM!

Sorry for long rant 

• Like 1

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

Just now, Quebec Club Ho said:

Hi All

My 6 weeks are done at Murcar as of today. Clubs were picked up by ship sticks (fed ex) and are on schedule.

I, on the other hand am still stuck in Aberdeen. BA over booked the flight to LHR (and lost my connection , that I paid extra for the emergency exit seat!) and I lost. I didn’t check in on line but in person. Maybe it’s time to do that - however, one of others who also lost his seat checked in online and even had a seat assigned! 
The BA staff were super nice and helpful getting me on klm the next day with better times than the OG flights. But it took 3 hours! BA still cheaped out, no voucher on hotel food taxi, just a ‘go on the website’ to claim expenses 🙄 

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

all the hotels @ the airport were full to add insult. Thankfully, a concierge was kind enough to find a room for the night in the city centre 

No thanks BA 😡

seriously thinking next trip - although it’ll be at least a couple of years - pay a little more and go KLM!

Sorry for long rant 

Ops l meant hammer golf not Scott 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

1 hour ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

Hi All

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

No thanks BA 😡

Sorry for long rant 

I believe when it’s the airlines fault you missed flights and incur lodging or food costs, they are legally bound to provide you the funds for food and lodging. I will happily spend a couple more hundred dollars to avoid Heathrow. I’ve not flown BA but have heard so many nightmare stories like @Quebec Club Ho has told. 

https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/resolving-travel-problems/delays-and-cancellations/cancellations/#:~:text=Under UK law%2C airlines must,the cost of your calls)

Edited by hammergolf

5 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I believe when it’s the airlines fault you missed flights and incur lodging or food costs, they are legally bound to provide you the funds for food and lodging. I will happily spend a couple more hundred dollars to avoid Heathrow. I’ve not flown BA but have heard so many nightmare stories like @Quebec Club Ho has told. 

https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/resolving-travel-problems/delays-and-cancellations/cancellations/#:~:text=Under UK law%2C airlines must,the cost of your calls)

Thank you hammergolf

receipts saved and going to claim it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

Thank you hammergolf

receipts saved and going to claim it 

They have to feed and house you so you should certainly claim it back!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

9 hours ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

Hi All

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

No thanks BA 😡

Sorry for long rant 

I forgot you were here, I would have taken you to RAGC. sorry!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

3 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

I forgot you were here, I would have taken you to RAGC. sorry!

No worries Scott. I’ll take you up on your offer next time! 
thank you! ☺️

• Like 1

Final recap of the journey:

1. Denied flight dilemma.

To end the story - BA has offered me a 800 GBP travel voucher or 600 GBP cash. Is it normal BA asks for bank info for the cash part? Not that good with modern tech/ ways of payment/reimbursement. 

2. Clubs

The clubs arrived as scheduled from SS via Fed Ex. As like the last trip I did, the golf bag was not even opened (at least from how I packed the bag - the bubble wrap and the way I wrapped the clubs not even touched)

My final thoughts 

If I must travel through Heathrow, I'll probably use ship sticks again. 

After being bumped by BA, I fly home KLM through Amsterdam, even with a 2 1/2 hour connection window my regular luggage made it. Just a less hectic airport.

Must learn to 'check-in' on line - as an old guy, I'm thinking moving forward this will help secure my spot. Again, another person who checked in on-line was bumped as well 

I think that's it. I probably forgot something. If anyone has any questions about this trip please just ask and I'll try to help. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

Final recap of the journey:

1. Denied flight dilemma.

To end the story - BA has offered me a 800 GBP travel voucher or 600 GBP cash. Is it normal BA asks for bank info for the cash part? Not that good with modern tech/ ways of payment/reimbursement. 

2. Clubs

The clubs arrived as scheduled from SS via Fed Ex. As like the last trip I did, the golf bag was not even opened (at least from how I packed the bag - the bubble wrap and the way I wrapped the clubs not even touched)

My final thoughts 

If I must travel through Heathrow, I'll probably use ship sticks again. 

After being bumped by BA, I fly home KLM through Amsterdam, even with a 2 1/2 hour connection window my regular luggage made it. Just a less hectic airport.

Must learn to 'check-in' on line - as an old guy, I'm thinking moving forward this will help secure my spot. Again, another person who checked in on-line was bumped as well 

I think that's it. I probably forgot something. If anyone has any questions about this trip please just ask and I'll try to help. :)

My understanding is that *all* BA international flights will go through LHR.  So while we dodged the bullet 6 years ago connecting through to Edinburgh, after reading this thread,  I will be thinking long and hard about BA again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Question on the airtags.  Do you guys use one of these holders I saw show up, or just put them in a bag?  How do we do this?

Inside one of the pockets in my golf bag is a loop to fasten keys. I put the AirTag in a holder with a ring and attached it to the loop. 

14 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

So those holders are crucial then.  Gotcha. Thanks.

I don't think they are crucial, but they make it possible to attach the airtag to something, rather than it just be loose in your bag.  If you have a small pouch that you keep ball markers and such in, you could just drop the airtag in there too.

14 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Question on the airtags.  Do you guys use one of these holders I saw show up, or just put them in a bag?  How do we do this?

I put my airtag in a pocket of my golf bag that is like the black hole. It's impossible to find stuff in it when I'm digging around on purpose.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

My 2 cents on this is I use shipsticks outbound for any important (to me) golf trip where I have a connection, domestic or international. And I also drop an airtag in the interior "valuables" pouch in the golf bag. On the return I check my bag in and if it's "lost" for a few days, it's not a big deal to me.

Edited by Kaptain
  • Like 1

Paradym 9° - Ventus Velocore Blue

Apex UW 17°, 21° - Ventus Velocore Red

AI Smoke 4h,5h

AI Smoke HL 6-AW

MD5 54°, 58°

Byron Morgan Epic Day - Rincon Neck - 355g Carbon

Vice Pro Plus

Vessel Lux XV / Vessel Player III DXR

I put my air tag in the valuable pocket of my golf bag. It’s a hoofer lite - so the pocket is smallish and the tag won’t get moved around much

The AirTag was much more up to date on the location than ship sticks/ fed ex tracker (but I’m nitpicking here )

sorry if I’ve said this before but I had a bigger budget I’d go ship sticks for any trip. 
This was a 6 week ‘dream’ trip if you will 

I will find it hard for my budget to ship sticks for a @7-10 day trip 

Leaving for Edinburgh tomorrow, connecting thru Heathrow on BA. Shipsticks picked up my clubs last Wednesday and they were delivered yesterday to our tour operator (TTF).

While I am resting easy, already one of the other guys on my trip is having trouble with Shipsticks. He had his clubs picked up the day after mine and his clubs are still stuck somewhere in the states and SS says they may not arrive in time for our first round on Friday. Even with SS, it is important to track the shipment to make sure it is moving daily.

Will report if there are any Heathrow problems (hour layover, but BA to BA).

• Like 3

Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400

5 hours ago, njlam said:

Leaving for Edinburgh tomorrow, connecting thru Heathrow on BA. Shipsticks picked up my clubs last Wednesday and they were delivered yesterday to our tour operator (TTF).

While I am resting easy, already one of the other guys on my trip is having trouble with Shipsticks. He had his clubs picked up the day after mine and his clubs are still stuck somewhere in the states and SS says they may not arrive in time for our first round on Friday. Even with SS, it is important to track the shipment to make sure it is moving daily.

Will report if there are any Heathrow problems (hour layover, but BA to BA).

Where you playing?

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Turnberry/Prestwick/Troon/North Berwick/Muirfield/TOC/Jubilee/Carnoustie

Only half our group are playing Turnberry due to ownership issues....not me.

Edited by njlam
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, njlam said:

Their loss - it's an amazing golf course.  I think it's the best course I've ever played.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

1 hour ago, njlam said:

A great trip, Turnberry is fun and on a Sunny day you get amazing views, take your time chilling at the lighthouse. Its not a hard course with the shaping but so fun.

I am not a fan of the owner but I have played Turnberry and TR Aberdeen a few times and both great. 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

1 hour ago, njlam said:

That's a great list of courses!!! I played all except Muirfield (I travel alone and as a single almost impossible to get a time. In 2011 they had visitor tee times, 2 and 4 balls books 1 and 1/2 years in advance, can't imagine what it is now). My fav out of that list is Turnberry, must be even nicer with the alterations. Un popular opinion here but I found North Berwick just ok. The start and finish were awesome and besides the hole with the wall in front of the green, I found the rest of the course bland. Enjoy and have a great time!

12 minutes ago, Quebec Club Ho said:

That's a great list of courses!!! I played all except Muirfield (I travel alone and as a single almost impossible to get a time. In 2011 they had visitor tee times, 2 and 4 balls books 1 and 1/2 years in advance, can't imagine what it is now). My fav out of that list is Turnberry, must be even nicer with the alterations. Un popular opinion here but I found North Berwick just ok. The start and finish were awesome and besides the hole with the wall in front of the green, I found the rest of the course bland. Enjoy and have a great time!

I am a weird one, not a fan of the last 3 holes at North Berwick but love the Muirfield feeling ones as far out as you can go. 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400