2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Buying shaft from fitter vs online

Hey there! 

I was fitted for a va composite shaft, but what I've found is that its 100 dollars more to go through the fitter vs a site like the peoples club. When I asked what the discrepancy was, I was told the shaft isn't built to the weight nor pured. I've read mixed reviews on puring and seems like it won't really help someone at my handicap (20), so i'm curious what the difference is between just ordering the exact shaft online vs getting it through the fitter for the extra cash, if anything.

Thanks!

Save your money and source it uncut.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

In my opinion unless the fitter went above and beyond with the entire fit/ communication/ treatment when you were there, giving them an extra $100 doesn't do much for you. If you plan on being a regular customer there with club builds/future fits it might be best to develop a positive relationship early, but at the end of the day the only thing you owe them is for services they delivered. Puring a VA Composite is likely not worth it for your handicap level. I'd save the money and buy online (From a reputable dealer). However if you feel like you got more out of the fit then you were charged, you buying from the fitter is a nice gesture.

• Like 1

I highly recommend Will.  He's done tons of builds for me in the past and he is without a doubt one of the best in the business when it comes to building clubs and customer service. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

20 hours ago, taylorx300 said:

Save your money and source it uncut.

I'm not sure I understand that. just a raw shaft? where do you source something like that and then how do you get it cut and attached to your driver head? 

20 hours ago, AmateurAmateur said:

In my opinion unless the fitter went above and beyond with the entire fit/ communication/ treatment when you were there, giving them an extra $100 doesn't do much for you. If you plan on being a regular customer there with club builds/future fits it might be best to develop a positive relationship early, but at the end of the day the only thing you owe them is for services they delivered. Puring a VA Composite is likely not worth it for your handicap level. I'd save the money and buy online (From a reputable dealer). However if you feel like you got more out of the fit then you were charged, you buying from the fitter is a nice gesture.

I may do this, they actually offered to re-fit for free since it was a couple years ago and i never pulled the trigger. 

I'm still confused on whether they do something special to the shaft with weight, length, etc that an online dealer can't do if i buy the shaft from them though.

1 minute ago, r_squared said:

I'm not sure I understand that. just a raw shaft? where do you source something like that and then how do you get it cut and attached to your driver head? 

I may do this, they actually offered to re-fit for free since it was a couple years ago and i never pulled the trigger. 

I'm still confused on whether they do something special to the shaft with weight, length, etc that an online dealer can't do if i buy the shaft from them though.

They would likely just make sure its a tighter tolerance. Shafts might say 60 gram stiff but they'll be heavier than that and the flex might vary within half a flex or so. It's just their way of confirming the shaft you hit in the fitting is as close as possible to the one you get built up to play.

23 minutes ago, r_squared said:

Sounds like you went to Club Champion. They fit me into a Diamana TB - then wanted $500+ to build it. Bought the exact same shaft for $180 on BST. Club Champion claims the build quality they produce is best, and that the puring process and built to your specs is worth the premium $$. It's not. Any capable club tech would be able to do the exact same thing. 

Which VA Composites shaft? If you have patience it may pop up here. Or look on Ebay. Or buy from Will. 

There are 3 on BST in one ad: 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

On 3/21/2023 at 11:03 AM, r_squared said:

Hey there! 

I was fitted for a va composite shaft, but what I've found is that its 100 dollars more to go through the fitter vs a site like the peoples club. When I asked what the discrepancy was, I was told the shaft isn't built to the weight nor pured. I've read mixed reviews on puring and seems like it won't really help someone at my handicap (20), so i'm curious what the difference is between just ordering the exact shaft online vs getting it through the fitter for the extra cash, if anything.

Thanks!

The difference could be built vs. not.  I don't know Will's policies, so maybe this isn't the case, but some places have a "shaft" charge and then they add a "build" charge.  When I worked at a big box store, you could buy shafts direct from us, but if you wanted it built, it was an extra I think $40 on top to have it installed, swing weighted, etc.  I know a lot of fitting studios have the build charge rolled into it.  So this could be at least part of the discrepancy.  

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Just now, st1800e said:

Who is Will? 

Will Peoples.

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

2 hours ago, WristySwing said:

The difference could be built vs. not.  I don't know Will's policies, so maybe this isn't the case, but some places have a "shaft" charge and then they add a "build" charge.  When I worked at a big box store, you could buy shafts direct from us, but if you wanted it built, it was an extra I think $40 on top to have it installed, swing weighted, etc.  I know a lot of fitting studios have the build charge rolled into it.  So this could be at least part of the discrepancy.  

Will and I have an understanding/agreement because I've done a lot of business with him in the past and I will leave it at that.  Normally, he charges for shaft, grip and tip but there is no "build" charge. 

Let's think about this for a min.. you mentioned u are a 20ish cap 

Do you honestly think purring or making sure the weight is close to what u swung  in your fitting is going to make any difference in your swing 

Save the 100 bucks and put it towards  a lesson.. I would bet my fav 7 wood you will get more from the lesson 

Good on you for getting fit.. take some lessons and work on that swing 

Welcome to the world of golf 🍻 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@r_squared I bought a pured and built to custom specs VA Composites Vylyn 65 four shaft from CC 1.5 years. I was convinced after the fitting my driver woes were finally cured. They’re not, and I am about to post the shaft (and many others) on the BST.

save your money, buy it used or through one of the many online dealers (Will Peoples, Dallas Golf, Fairway Jockey, etc). Puring seems unnecessary for a premium shaft. 

good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are on the Golf WRX forum there is a better than average chance that you are someone with a passion for golf and golf equipment.  You may also be a DIY kind of person.

For those golfers that don’t really care too much about their equipment or their individual specs, having a fitter make the recommendations and then source the components and build the clubs might be confidence inspiring and well worth it in exchange for the savings of time and effort to do it all themselves.

On the other hand, if you are constrained by budget, have DIY skills and have extra free time and ready access to the tools required to tinker with your own equipment than you will save money in exchange for that time and effort.  You may also gain personal satisfaction in putting everything together yourself.

I know some guys, myself included, that really enjoy learning about how golf clubs are put together and the club tinkering becomes a part of their overall love for the game. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour