2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

2023 Mizuho Americas Open (Jun 01 - 04)

2 hours ago, aabcuue said:

Conditions were rl tough like saturday

Lots of strong wind that grew throughout the afternoon.

16th to 18th hole were heavily impacted by the wind thurs to sunday

62 players on the weekend.

-31 shot par or better

-median score of 144.5

-two players shot under 70 on both Sat and Sun

-eight players shot under par on both Sat and Sun

-18 players shot under par for the weekend (total score) and no worse than par in either of the rounds

JYK:  145, +1

Minjee:  147, +3

Brooke:  149, +5

Lydia:  150, +6

They didn't play well period.

Now, if it didn't mean as much to them as others (Rose to win first start, many other players to earn money or improve season rankings) and they packed it in as soon as something didn't go their way, I'd buy that.  There are only so many days you can concentrate 100%, fight through the tough things, etc, and I'm sure these players care a lot more about Baltusrol and Pebble Beach.

This week will have its place in the history books, but it was shaping up for even more after R2.  Until all of the above didn't play well, excuses aside.

25 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

62 players on the weekend.

-31 shot par or better

-median score of 144.5

-two players shot under 70 on both Sat and Sun

-eight players shot under par on both Sat and Sun

-18 players shot under par for the weekend (total score) and no worse than par in either of the rounds

JYK:  145, +1

Minjee:  147, +3

Brooke:  149, +5

Lydia:  150, +6

They didn't play well period.

Now, if it didn't mean as much to them as others (Rose to win first start, many other players to earn money or improve season rankings) and they packed it in as soon as something didn't go their way, I'd buy that.  There are only so many days you can concentrate 100%, fight through the tough things, etc, and I'm sure these players care a lot more about Baltusrol and Pebble Beach.

This week will have its place in the history books, but it was shaping up for even more after R2.  Until all of the above didn't play well, excuses aside.

Fair points ... but most pro athletes have egos... and wouldn't want to lose to a rookie making her first pro start?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lobby said:

Grant Boone is a nice guy. But he’s always trying to create drama

i dunno. Maybe the public likes that and I’m the weird one who doesn’t?

Way back when the Golf Channel had a chat room & Grant Boone was just starting out as an announcer, he was known as "the inane announcer". He was pretty goofy.

On 6/5/2023 at 2:39 AM, jimecherry said:

Website is updating more frequently today yesterday it was only updating 3 times an hr. wonder what changed?

LPGA has been named& shamed on social media by PGA pros eg Joel Dahmen/ Joe Ogilvie, w.r.t. sucky LPGA website/ Leaderboard updates.  Story here: https://www.golfwrx.com/715373/try-harder-pga-tour-pros-hit-out-at-lpga-during-rose-zhangs-debut-win/ 

Edited by JungleJimbo

On 6/4/2023 at 11:18 PM, woahnelly said:

Should be a good ROTY race between Hae Ran, who finished solo 3, and Rose. 

Had Minjee, Hae Ran Ryu and Romero amateur on sunday.

Hae had chances but burned lots of edges and lipped out a few putts.

Shes a good player, pretty long and a good ball striker.

However, she like many top players took dead aim at most flagsticks including when wind was up.

Got into early trouble then slowly rallied to get to -8. Had multiple putts at -8 to go to -9 and didnt. Enough were makeable within 10-15ft and not big breakers or over ridges. Last was putt on 17th green from maybe 8ft.

Edited by aabcuue
  • Like 4
a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

6 hours ago, bcjim said:

Seemed like a very slow round. I teed off 35 min after RZ and they were on like 15 when I finished. And we were not exactly moving quickly. 

Again anyone that had a ruling forced backups for next groups.

Rabbit 1st group finished in about 4h 15min.

Last 5groups were all waiting on each other pretty much 3/4 of round.

Edited by aabcuue

8 minutes ago, aabcuue said:

Again anyone that had a ruling forced backups for next groups.

Rabbit 1st group finished in about 4h 15min.

Last 5groups were all waiting on each other pretty much 3/4 of round.

So that means the 2nd group out was out of position. They should have been on the clock, but probably weren't. 

Seems the tours like their 5 hours rounds as long as they finish within the TV window. They got lucky yesterday, as there wasn't anything on the GC that was important enough to cut off the playoff. They might have also run out of daylight had the playoff gone another hole or two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 6/4/2023 at 9:39 PM, JungleJimbo said:

This small media tent is down past 18th hole next to the scoring room just before admissions and the ferry to/from nyc.

Oddly there is a permanent media room and dining room on right of the driving, putting range and to sw of short game range.

Either she has been coached ex well or wise beyond her years or has the right personality and focus to playing golf.

Play your game and not shoot at every flag.

Manage the wind was what most of the top players werent doing. I saw them take dead aim and miss all too often esp short sided and make black numbers.

Edited by aabcuue
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

So that means the 2nd group out was out of position. They should have been on the clock, but probably weren't. 

Seems the tours like their 5 hours rounds as long as they finish within the TV window. They got lucky yesterday, as there wasn't anything on the GC that was important enough to cut off the playoff. They might have also run out of daylight had the playoff gone another hole or two. 

Wasnt sure were the gap started but heard there were a few.

Unfortunately, rulings often put big gaps as waiting 10-20min for 1of6 officials, getting direction then finding relief and executing could be 30min.

Afternoon winds hit most groups hard. Lots of fairway and greenside bunker play but oddly minimal shots into hillocks and fescue.

Winds sometimes were tough to read. At ground level not much to see when tossing turf. Above hillocks, wind was different and another direction at tree level.

Holes 16 to 18, near the upper bay were all about the wind. Nonstop, that grew stronger as afternoon progressed and was always a factor.

Edited by aabcuue

9 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

This witb is accurate. Same as played thursday to sunday rounds per standards, walking scorers and caddy.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Fair points ... but most pro athletes have egos... and wouldn't want to lose to a rookie making her first pro start?

Rose interview of how she played the course speaks volumes why she won and the top players didn't.

She managed her game and recognized with the strong winds, it wasn't smart to always shoot at the flag and par sometimes is a good score.

I had some of the top players this week. They have lots of talent and thought they could keep aiming at every flagstick no matter where it was positioned. Saw way too many misses that became shortsided bunker or bad lies that couldn't be blasted close or skip/spun near the hole that became bogey or worse.

Edited by aabcuue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RagnarD said:

Edited by aabcuue

16 hours ago, larciel said:

I know but I've never seen it coming from a direct competitor who just lost it by blowing the first putt 15ft past the pin on the playoff. Even before a handshake or a hug.

I hope it was nothing. But the whole water thing is stupid. 

No I have seen it pretty often. Nothing unusual for LPGA. Go watch some endings of other tournaments its happened often. Except for majors then its champagne.

Pretty everyone has a bottle as thats all thats in the tee box coolers and 1st/10th tee tents besides fruit bananas/apples.

Edited by aabcuue

15 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

You can stream on-demand now, via Sky Sports Golf UK's youtube channel... if you have a UK i.p. address or VPN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I-dF6sSioc&pp=ygUbc2t5IHNwb3J0cyBnb2xmIGxpdmUgc3RyZWFt

..https://www.youtube.com/@SkySportsGolf 

Don't agree on darkness. There was time for another hole. Sunset was 8:34 and there was almost 15min left.

However, next holes after were #1 & #2.

Edited by aabcuue

16 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Phreddy mentioned this article earlier this week from TheAthletic.  It's a good read.

https://theathletic.com/4561812/2023/05/30/rose-zhang-lpga-tour/

Found this quote from the article interesting (in the context of the Chinese-language interview/introduction from this other video i posted, in which she spoke quite fluent Mandarin )

"Rose is regularly taking Mandarin. She’s fluent, but cannot read or write. This is common. There are over 50,000 characters to memorize.

“I find Chinese to be very interesting,” she says. “It’s a very beautiful language. Especially when you learn to write. It’s very pretty — the characters. But it is very hard, requires a lot of brain work. You have to be proactive in your learning or you’ll forget everything. It’s like math, except I hate math.”

Just to add to the confusion of earlier: 張 is her last name and I pronounce it "Chang" - There isn't any  exact phonetically correct sound I can type in alphabet/English - Chang is my best "English phonetics" not Zhang.  I learned and speak traditional (vs simplified) Mandarin hence why I use that character.   

There's also 4 "accents" in Mandarin - straight / monotone, up, down (forceful) and up and down .. dunno how to write it.  LOL. 

Either way, suffice to say, based on her Chinese video interview: Rose doesn't care/mind if she's labelled ABC, Chinese, American etc.  She associates with Chinese friends and American friends etc etc...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, aabcuue said:

Wasnt sure were the gap started but heard there were a few.

Unfortunately, rulings often put big gaps as waiting 10-20min for 1of6 officials, getting direction then finding relief and executing could be 30min.

Afternoon hit most groups hard. Lots of fairway and greenside bunker play but oddly minimal shots into hillocks and fescue.

Winds sometimes were tough to read. Ground level not much even when tossing turf. Above hillocks different and another direction at tree level.

Holes 16 to 18, near the upper bay were all about the wind. Nonstop and always a factor.

The sad reality is that with so many $$$ on the line, a pro can't figure out how to take a drop from a storm drain or sprinkler head without calling a rules official. Cheyenne's fiasco on the 18th was typical. It's a TIO. Take your relief and get on with it already. Sheesh. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

34 minutes ago, HMHS said:

Just to add to the confusion of earlier: 張 is her last name and I pronounce it "Chang" - There isn't any  exact phonetically correct sound I can type in alphabet/English - Chang is my best "English phonetics" not Zhang.  I learned and speak traditional (vs simplified) Mandarin hence why I use that character.   

There's also 4 "accents" in Mandarin - straight / monotone, up, down (forceful) and up and down .. dunno how to write it.  LOL. 

Either way, suffice to say, based on her Chinese video interview: Rose doesn't care/mind if she's labelled ABC, Chinese, American etc.  She associates with Chinese friends and American friends etc etc...

4 tones of mandarin

Straight/monotone -

Up /

Down \

Up/down ^

also called carrot

Words have different meaning with different accent/tone.

Easier than cantonese, there are 8 tones and the words don't have the same meaning as mandarin.

Edited by aabcuue

10 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The sad reality is that with so many $$$ on the line, a pro can't figure out how to take a drop from a storm drain or sprinkler head without calling a rules official. Cheyenne's fiasco on the 18th was typical. It's a TIO. Take your relief and get on with it already. Sheesh. 

Actually depends on the player. Saw plenty of players taking relief w/o calling a rules official. Yes, some don't know the rule book as well as others. Some players are just more cautious than others.

Sometimes the player did take relief so fast, she or caddy even had to alert the walking scorer to mark it.

Edited by aabcuue
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, larciel said:

Completely agree. I was nervous just watching her. To pull of that 2nd shot on the 2nd playoff game when you know the other player was 30 yds in front of you? She has complete control of her mind.

Best part of that shot for me:

After pulling the hybrid she said to her caddy: "This is plenty of club.  I'm going right at it."

Legendary.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ebk said:

Best part of that shot for me:

After pulling the hybrid she said to her caddy: "This is plenty of club.  I'm going right at it."

Legendary.

No great course management. Everyone was coming up short and often by alot as the wind blew strong.

She already knew exactly how far and how her irons flew/reacted to the wind on this hole.

• Like 1