2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2023 Srixon Z-Star XV

leegee38

The covers are extremely thin on the zstar line of balls hence the durability isn’t as high as the Prov1 line etc…the “cracked seam” is the cover wearing along the seam line and not an actual crack. I am sure there are minor performance losses from any wear as there is on a scuffed ball of any manufacturer (as seen on the MGS testing).

My home course is a notorious ball eater, where even the best players lose a couple balls a round, as a near scratch myself I can go though 3 on a good round☹️so when I get zstars for 30$ Canadian ( stock up on 241 sales) vs 73$ for prov1s that at best can get 443 sale, with the same performance for me it’s a no brainer. 

anyway, loved the 21 and the 23 XV seems the same to me, in distance, launch and spin. I’ve waffled back to the regular zstar recently for the lower ball flight and somewhat better partial shot spin ( this could just be a mental thing due to soft feel, but they seem to check up more on chips and pitches a touch less spin on full shots just generally slightly lower).

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

13 minutes ago, bomberman said:

The covers are extremely thin on the zstar line of balls hence the durability isn’t as high as the Prov1 line etc…the “cracked seam” is the cover wearing along the seam line and not an actual crack. I am sure there are minor performance losses from any wear as there is on a scuffed ball of any manufacturer (as seen on the MGS testing).

My home course is a notorious ball eater, where even the best players lose a couple balls a round, as a near scratch myself I can go though 3 on a good round☹️so when I get zstars for 30$ Canadian ( stock up on 241 sales) vs 73$ for prov1s that at best can get 443 sale, with the same performance for me it’s a no brainer. 

anyway, loved the 21 and the 23 XV seems the same to me, in distance, launch and spin. I’ve waffled back to the regular zstar recently for the lower ball flight and somewhat better partial shot spin ( this could just be a mental thing due to soft feel, but they seem to check up more on chips and pitches a touch less spin on full shots just generally slightly lower).

Do you have any idea why the covers on the XV, TP5x and Tour B X are so thin and fragile?  I love the way all three perform, but they all have durability issues with the XV being the worst IMO. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

7 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Do you have any idea why the covers on the XV, TP5x and Tour B X are so thin and fragile?  I love the way all three perform, but they all have durability issues with the XV being the worst IMO. 

Not sure the tp5 definitely is pretty much as crappy as the Zstars probably either thin covers compared to Prov1s or different urethane. Calloway’s seem a bit better but worse than titleists, not sure on Bridgestones. But I’ve dropped a brand new titleist and a hard wedge or thin bunker shot and they can also be trashed. I’d likely play a prov1 if my course allowed me to play a ball on average of more than 18. I’m not cheap but hate wasting money.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

I’ve been trying both the XV and the Diamond.  The diamond spins way too much for me with my short irons and wedges but the feel is great.  The XV is definitely a little longer off the tee for me and spins the amount I’m looking for.  I might use the diamond ball if I’m playing a course with really firm greens but other than that it will be the XV for me.  No seem issues either 

TM M5 9* Fuji Tour Spec 63x Mizuno ST190 15* Tensei White 7x TM M1 Hybrid 19* Fuji Atmos blue x Mizuno 919 tour 7-pw Nippon Modus 120x Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3-6 Nippon Modus 120x Cleveland RTX4 52,56,60 DG Tour Issue S400 Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball TM TP5

Just now, IUPGolf said:

I’ve been trying both the XV and the Diamond.  The diamond spins way too much for me with my short irons and wedges but the feel is great.  The XV is definitely a little longer off the tee for me and spins the amount I’m looking for.  I might use the diamond ball if I’m playing a course with really firm greens but other than that it will be the XV for me.  No seem issues either 

Love the avatar.  Who is she? 

• Haha 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Can confirm I am getting the “crack” along seams on the 23 XV 

moms was played 20 holes then I saw the crack

next showed up in 7 holes but I kept playing it with no noticeable issues… if anything I almost thought the ball felt hotter off the driver …

IMG_0484.jpeg.3de7cfb511f46f6950b6e4d598b8ef02.jpeg

• Sad 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Just now, Londo said:

Srixon for whatever reason (I think its been speculated their supplier?) has had seam issues. Depends on player and batch but usually the ball is out of play before it shows up

Not sure if it's supplier issue.  I think it may have to do with putting the best product out there even if it means sacrificing durability.  TP5x doesnt't have the cracked seam issue but durability isn't good and they are outstanding from a performance issue similar to the XV. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to do the ballnamic fitting for fun and it's come back with Z star XV as the top dog with the 3 different times I've ran it with similar (not quite the same) selections.  Ended up with ProV1, AVX and XV all three times.  I'm still working through the diamonds I got from last year during fathers day, but I think next year during the same sale I'll pick up the fathers day deal with the XV and if I run out of balls this year I'll pick up a dozen.  Definitely a high spin iron player so I could definitely bring that down from the Diamonds.

On 7/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, Duffman57 said:

I finally decided to do the ballnamic fitting for fun and it's come back with Z star XV as the top dog with the 3 different times I've ran it with similar (not quite the same) selections.  Ended up with ProV1, AVX and XV all three times.  I'm still working through the diamonds I got from last year during fathers day, but I think next year during the same sale I'll pick up the fathers day deal with the XV and if I run out of balls this year I'll pick up a dozen.  Definitely a high spin iron player so I could definitely bring that down from the Diamonds.

Same with me, all three times

Driver - AI Smoke Triple Diamond, Tensei 1k Blue 6tx

3 Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max, Tensei AV Blue 75x

2 Iron - Titleist U505, Graphite Design AD-DI 8x

4-PW - T150, Project X 6.5

50 Degree - SM10 50.12F, Project X 6.5

54 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, mid bounce, Project X wedge 6.5

58 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, low bounce, TI s400

Putter - Custom shop 2022 Phantom 5.5

2023 Pro V1

I’m not sure if it was the ball reducing some spin, me changing my swing or the fact that it was stupidly hot and humid yesterday but I played my first round with this ball and airmailed 4 greens to the point where I went OB long. I started playing one club down and still airmailed greens. My ballstriking was as good as I have hit the ball in a long time. But I was 2.5 clubs above my normal distance. I barely caught the back of the green on a par three that was 167 to the pin with a 9 iron. Like 5-10 yards long. 150 has been my typical 9 iron distance for a while now. 

I don’t think I was loosing that much distance with the z star diamond but maybe I was spinning the irons that much. I really have no idea what happened yesterday. 

10 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

I’m not sure if it was the ball reducing some spin, me changing my swing or the fact that it was stupidly hot and humid yesterday but I played my first round with this ball and airmailed 4 greens to the point where I went OB long. I started playing one club down and still airmailed greens. My ballstriking was as good as I have hit the ball in a long time. But I was 2.5 clubs above my normal distance. I barely caught the back of the green on a par three that was 167 to the pin with a 9 iron. Like 5-10 yards long. 150 has been my typical 9 iron distance for a while now. 

I don’t think I was loosing that much distance with the z star diamond but maybe I was spinning the irons that much. I really have no idea what happened yesterday. 

All the launch monitors reviews show that XV is around pro v1x level of high spin off the irons. For me, in the real world it plays like one of the most low spin/piercing balls out there 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

13 hours ago, Bsudgolf said:

Oh ok thatay be True but to me the XV feels much harder than V1 but I'm speaking of Last years V1 

That is exactly the problem in answering the question.  The XV probably spins more like a V1 but feels more like a V1X.  So which is it more like?  Well ... kinda neither ... or both.  JMO anyway.

10 hours ago, leegee38 said:

That is exactly the problem in answering the question.  The XV probably spins more like a V1 but feels more like a V1X.  So which is it more like?  Well ... kinda neither ... or both.  JMO anyway.

I don’t think that’s necessarily a problem.  It plays like the prov1 but is higher compression. I don’t know if it’s me playing way better or the ball But I’ve played a few rounds with it now and absolutely love it. 

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily a problem.  It plays like the prov1 but is higher compression. I don’t know if it’s me playing way better or the ball But I’ve played a few rounds with it now and absolutely love it. 

XV is lower launch than the V1x much like the V1.  It's a very firm ball though which I prefer.  I didn't find it to spin a ton with irons which is what I need.  It's a great ball but durability is a problem. 

Edited by phizzy30

11 minutes ago, Kacy said:

How does the XV compare to pro V1x greenside spin?

ProV1x spins more compared the XV. 

Just now, Kacy said:

I have tested the diamond and z star but  not the XV. Want the diamond to work because of the feel and greenside spin, but low driver/long game spin is a must. So far Prov1x has been the best of both.

Diamond spun a ton for me off irons which is why I'm playing the XV atm.  I'm not a big stickler for feel but prefer firmer balls. 

• 2 months later...

a lot of people referencing the "cracking".  i noticed the same thing a couple years ago and emailed them about it.  they told me its how the covers are fused together and there isnt a performance issue...they did also send me a free dozen.  i will say, ive hit the longest drives of my life (by a long way) with the XV yellow. just cant figure out why they changed from a 4 piece to a 3 piece...i dont like change  

21 hours ago, dkoeller88 said:

a lot of people referencing the "cracking".  i noticed the same thing a couple years ago and emailed them about it.  they told me its how the covers are fused together and there isnt a performance issue...they did also send me a free dozen.  i will say, ive hit the longest drives of my life (by a long way) with the XV yellow. just cant figure out why they changed from a 4 piece to a 3 piece...i dont like change  

Why don't you like the change? I haven't noticed a feel or performance difference between the 2021 and 2023 versions of the XV.

Driver: Cobra DarkSpeed LS 10.5° - Tensei AV White 65x
3W: TaylorMade Qi10 15° - Kai'li White 70x
5W: TaylorMade Qi10 18° - Kai'li White 70x
Irons: Cobra King Tour 4-5 Cobra King CB 6-GW - Modus 120x
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 TourRack 54 mid & 58 low - Modus 125 Wedge Shaft
Putter: L.A.B Mezz.1 Max w Accra shaft

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

9 hours ago, dkoeller88 said:

it was a bit tongue and cheek but i havent tried the new version yet as i have plenty of the prior gen.  just seems odd to me they went from 4 piece to 3 piece...so ill prob try to find more of the prior gen balls for the time being 

If anything that should make it a bit easier to compress and also make it feel a bit softer. Probably a good move on Srixon part.