2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Blade v Mallet - Top 30 PGA Tour Strokes Gained

LeicaRedDot

7 minutes ago, nvr3putt said:

My point was that there is likely a limit to adding MOI to a putter before one reaches redundancy. 

Not just that but also looks and feel. Look at some of the highest MOI putters out there, they are not exactly the nicest nor do they sound the best due to materials used. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 hours ago, mvvraz said:

I don't think you are looking at the statistic right... 7 out of 30 are using blades, but within the mallet and mid mallet categories you have so many shapes and sizes that are completely different to one another. I haven't looked at the statistics, but 7 out of 30 might actually be a majority, making the blade the most commonly used putter. 

Putting is all feel and confidence for most golfers. My coach likes my stroke with a mallet much more, but I go to the course and I am 3 putting with my 5.5 left and right, while my blade's clumsy stroke produces way way better actual results. 

Well said.

Edited by mjo23
  • Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

45 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Not just that but also looks and feel. Look at some of the highest MOI putters out there, they are not exactly the nicest nor do they sound the best due to materials used. 

Sound is such an interesting thing. 

I've heard Faxon say he loves the 'click' of a Scotty while to my ears (maybe having played music for a long time) that harsh, high-pitched click is loud and sounds--for lack of a better word--cheap. 

Give me a soft, dull-sounding insert all day long. 

It's so personal. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

55 minutes ago, nvr3putt said:

My point was that there is likely a limit to adding MOI to a putter before one reaches redundancy. 

It's also worth pointing out that people really misinterpret MOI, too. 

Increased MOI has as much to do with steadying the stroke and helping the face to remain square to the arc as it does off-center hits. 

There's a reason why even a weekend player can feel the difference in stability when picking up a mallet. That's why people unanimously report improvement at close range. They're all stroking the ball much more consistently. 

I'm not sure off-center strikes are the concern of good players at all, TBH. 

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

11 hours ago, mvvraz said:

I don't think you are looking at the statistic right... 7 out of 30 are using blades, but within the mallet and mid mallet categories you have so many shapes and sizes that are completely different to one another. I haven't looked at the statistics, but 7 out of 30 might actually be a majority, making the blade the most commonly used putter. 

Putting is all feel and confidence for most golfers. My coach likes my stroke with a mallet much more, but I go to the course and I am 3 putting with my 5.5 left and right, while my blade's clumsy stroke produces way way better actual results. 

Great points. One of the top 30 on that list is Justin Rose, who rolls an Axis1 putter. That putter is essentially a blade with a carbon fang style back wing bolted on for alignment only. The back piece weighs very little. 

If you took it off, you still have a putter — the front steel blade. It’s designed that way to get the CG aligned with the face, which is what Axis1 landed a patent for. Everything about it performs like a blade, Rose simply wanted a more substantial alignment piece. It could not be more different than a back-weighted mallet and is actually much more like a blade. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2023 at 7:41 PM, Mikee_j said:

Interesting looking at the Strokes gained putting on the tour. Only 7 of the top 30 (23%) use a blade style putter, the rest using a mallet, or mid-mallet. 

I thought it would be higher, but this is probably consistent through the entire PGA tour and pro golf with players leaning towards the extra MOI and forgiveness of a mallet.

Anything to take from this observation? 

@Mikee_j Is there a URL that you're referring to/can share, for the details on which player uses which putter?  I googled and found a listing based on the Top50 OWGR on golfwrx.  

https://www.golfwrx.com/698840/blade-vs-mallet-what-style-putters-do-the-top-50-players-in-the-world-use-2022-update/

...Also has a section on Top 50 SG Putting:

Quote: 

"Top-50 in Strokes Gained: Putting

Mallet users: 70 percent (35 of 50 players)"

...older 2018 article by @atursky

https://www.golfwrx.com/524842/blade-vs-mallet-putters-what-the-top-50-players-are-using-owgr-and-sg-putting/

Edited by JungleJimbo

On 7/25/2023 at 4:10 AM, JungleJimbo said:

@Mikee_j Is there a URL that you're referring to/can share, for the details on which player uses which putter?  I googled and found a listing based on the Top50 OWGR on golfwrx.  

https://www.golfwrx.com/698840/blade-vs-mallet-what-style-putters-do-the-top-50-players-in-the-world-use-2022-update/

...Also has a section on Top 50 SG Putting:

Quote: 

"Top-50 in Strokes Gained: Putting

Mallet users: 70 percent (35 of 50 players)"

...older 2018 article by @atursky

https://www.golfwrx.com/524842/blade-vs-mallet-putters-what-the-top-50-players-are-using-owgr-and-sg-putting/

No URL. Was just cross referencing the strokes gained data against the WITB info.

• Like 1

I’ll throw out this.  How many consider that high moi sometimes creates more misses ?  As in mallet users , do you test impact locations vs your old blade ?  Do you know if you strike the mallet as clean ?  If you do then good.  If you don’t then the mallet is just a fireman setting fires to keep his job.  

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’ll throw out this.  How many consider that high moi sometimes creates more misses ?  As in mallet users , do you test impact locations vs your old blade ?  Do you know if you strike the mallet as clean ?  If you do then good.  If you don’t then the mallet is just a fireman setting fires to keep his job.  

Interesting point

• 1 month later...

To each is own, but I recently went back to an Anser style after 2 years of success with a mallet when the game of the day didn't matter.  In a competition where I was grinding, the mallet would desert me distance wise, 5 competitive rounds in a row.  "Getting older, I like it, it's me, not the weapon." Finally, I went back to my trusty old "blade" last round, and was back to great putting, trying to make putts instead of hoping for good distance on laminate floor greens.  Time will tell, but for some reason when the pressure mounts, a blade is far easier to lag than the mallet- similar to controlling distance with players irons vs super gamer improvement irons.  For me, this game is all about the Y variable, distance control. 

I think the big change that no one here has raised yet (tbh though did not read every response), is in my mind the reason this stat is the way it is, is because the pros can have their cake and eat it too. What do I mean by that? Traditionally mallets were always face balanced. Which suit a straight back and through stroke, whereas many pros have an arc to slight arc in their stroke. Hence I believe the movement towards mallets with different neck shapes that introduce varying amount of toe hang, has let pros be able to keep their stroke, but add a measure of forgiveness and moi that a blade with more toe hang simply does not provide. EG, Spiders, Cameron Phantom X5.5, 11.5 etc. Personally been an Anser/Newport type player my whole life, and ever since Cameron introduced the 5.5m, and then the Phantom 11.5, it's really hard for me to game anything else. I simply make so many more putts, long, mid, and especially the 3-4 footers.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:47 AM, bladehunter said:

Let me add that I have had discussions about this subject with a few well known name club designers-engineers. They all tell me the same thing, that "players are going to miss the sweet spot so we want to make the club more forgiving when a  mishit shot happens".

When I ask if they've considered the possibility that high MOI (a larger club head) for putters, irons, woods may actually promote mishit shots they refuse to concede that this ever happens.

*today's club designers-engineers are enamored with CAD systems, robotic testing,  and other technology . Sadly, this fancy technology does not  factor in the some of the important nuances relevant to a human swinging the club.

45 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

Let me add that I have had discussions about this subject with a few well known name club designers-engineers. They all tell me the same thing, that "players are going to miss the sweet spot so we want to make the club more forgiving when a  mishit shot happens".

When I ask if they've considered the possibility that high MOI (a larger club head) for putters, irons, woods may actually promote mishit shots they refuse to concede that this ever happens.

*today's club designers-engineers are enamored with CAD systems, robotic testing,  and other technology . Sadly, this fancy technology does not  factor in the some of the important nuances relevant to a human swinging the club.

I guess it's a good thing various options exist, and that people can test/choose what works best for themselves. And if mallets universally caused more misses, and if there was actual data to support that - then no one on Tour would be using one. These guys spend countless hours on putting greens testing different models to see what works - sometimes with the help of technology for tracking roll and other sorts of simple metrics, but it's mostly kept very basic and simply about gaging comfort/confidence with alignment and distance control. A LOT of money is lost for every missed putt for these guys

It's literally all personal preference. Some people putt better with mallets, some are better with blades. And mallets are obviously nothing new. And their design, in many cases (ie white hot OG), hasn't changed much at all since their inception, so I'm not sure what the problem is with the tech engineers are using to help make their job easier (or possible at all). CAD ain't new. Would you prefer that they don't use CAD and somehow design 3D models by hand to get fed into their CNC machine? Lol

Edited by mjo23

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

12 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

And if mallets universally caused more misses, and if there was actual data to support that - then no one on Tour would be using one. These guys spend countless hours on putting greens testing different models to see what works -

It's literally all personal preference. 

I don't think anyone has ever said or implied that "mallets universally caused more misses".

As for Tour players, mostly they try whatever the equipment representatives have on hand, and there are lots of putter designs that the equipment reps don't have readily available for a player to try. For example, at Tour stop driving ranges , and even at OEM company headquarters-fitting studios,  320 to 330 gram head weight putters are non existent. Would most/many Tour players benefit from a 320 to 330 gram head weight putter? Probably not. Maybe the number is only about 10% of players, but that's 10 to 15 guys. It's astonishing to me that both Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods won their majors swinging putters of less than 330 gram head weight yet no OEM offers that head weight today.

And I expect that at least 3 or 4 Tour players would improve their putting results with a a Bullseye style putter. At one time Bullseye putters dominated both amateur and pro golf, in large part because the blade design was so easy to properly align. I guarantee you that at Tour tournaments,  when the equipment reps are hanging around the practice greens all day Monday and Tuesday, not one of them has a Bullseye style putter for a player to try.

Absolutely "personal preference" is where it's at. But if the OEM's are not offering a legitimate range of putter head weights and shapes, then personal preference will not be learned.

31 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

I don't think anyone has ever said or implied that "mallets universally caused more misses".

As for Tour players, mostly they try whatever the equipment representatives have on hand, and there are lots of putter designs that the equipment reps don't have readily available for a player to try. For example, at Tour stop driving ranges , and even at OEM company headquarters-fitting studios,  320 to 330 gram head weight putters are non existent. Would most/many Tour players benefit from a 320 to 330 gram head weight putter? Probably not. Maybe the number is only about 10% of players, but that's 10 to 15 guys. It's astonishing to me that both Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods won their majors swinging putters of less than 330 gram head weight yet no OEM offers that head weight today.

And I expect that at least 3 or 4 Tour players would improve their putting results with a a Bullseye style putter. At one time Bullseye putters dominated both amateur and pro golf, in large part because the blade design was so easy to properly align. I guarantee you that at Tour tournaments,  when the equipment reps are hanging around the practice greens all day Monday and Tuesday, not one of them has a Bullseye style putter for a player to try.

Absolutely "personal preference" is where it's at. But if the OEM's are not offering a legitimate range of putter head weights and shapes, then personal preference will not be learned.

Now I can agree with that sentiment. OEM's have recently started pushing out putter heads that very well could be too heavy for some/many people. It just initially sounded like you were claiming that mallets = more misses

Edited by mjo23

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

18 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

Now I can agree with that sentiment. OEM's have recently started pushing out putter heads that very well could be too heavy for some/many people. It just initially sounded like you were claiming that mallets = more misses

Sorry for the misunderstanding. That's just a wrong thing to say or imply. Obviously , some players putt their best with a mallet.

On the other hand, just as wrong is the employee of a major OEM who believes every player from beginner to Tour pro should swing a mallet putter, and tells them this during a fitting. True story.

• Like 1

I've spent the last year or so being fitted for putters, testing them on greens, trying different shafts, experimenting with counter balance, etc etc and these are the conclusions I have reached

In order to make a putt you have to 

1) Make the right read

2) Align properly to your correct read

3) Roll it on line at the right speed

Obviously #1 doesn't have anything to do with your putter but #2 and #3 does. 

#2 For the past year I've experimented and tried all different types of alignment (two ball, three lines, site dot, triple track) - and believe me there is an alignment aid out there that is best for each golfer. And its not necessarily just the lines on the putter. The shape (rouded back vs fangs vs square back) of the putter can cause you to react and align differently. The color scheme of the putter (ie versa putters) can help you align. The only way to know is to take a putter out on the course, putt 3 footers, 10 footers, 30 footers to find out what alignment works best for you. there is one out there for everyone. I think this is one of the main reason why there are more mallets on tour these days. Mallets simply have more space on the head for different alignments. With that said, nothing wrong with the guy who aligns best with a site dot on a blade putter.

#3 In order to roll it on line at the right speed , all you need is a putter will allow your putting stroke to have a square face with the right launch and forward roll at impact. And this is where putters become so personal. There are a million combinations of things that will help you achieve that. 

Weight of putter head (weight forward, weights back, weights on the outside, more weight on the heel, more weight on the toe)

Neck/toe hang to fit your stroke (straight back straight through, slight arc, heavy arc)

Shaft stiffness to stabilize your head (Stepped steel, stepless steel, graphite)

Shaft weight (counter balanced, heavy shaft, light shaft)

Grip type, size (pistol, jumbo, flatso, garsen, flat cat etc)

Grip weight (Evn roll gravity with the heavy weight)

Swing weight of putter 

Putter face (milled, inserts etc etc)

Proper lie angle

Proper length

The right combination of all these god damn things can help you have a more repeatable stroke that will square face with the right launch and forward roll at impact.. This is why this s*** can be so hard. But when you find the right combo, it can be so easy.

For those who have found their perfect combination and their putter - congrats. You have found something so many people on here are searching for. You should feel lucky but what works for you ain't the way everyone should be.

My advice for those searching - get an initial fitting for a putter. Find out your proper length, lie angle, stroke type, the toe hang that best suites you. Then try to putt as many putters as you humanly can with those specs. Then when you find one that you really like, take it back again and get it fitted again and dial in the specs.

No matter what putter you chose (mallet, blade, milled, insert, ugly, pretty) - just remember there ain't nothing sexier than making putts. 

• Like 1

Driver - TSR 2 10 degrees. D2 setting. Fujikura Ventus Blue 5s

4 wood - Paradym 15 degrees. +2, Draw setting. Fujikura Ventus Blue 6s

7 wood - Ping G430 Max 21 degrees. Standard loft, Neutral. Ping Chrome 75s

9 wood - Ping G430 Max 24 degrees. Standard Loft, Neutral. Ping Chrome 75s

5-AW - Ping I230, black dot. Dynamic gold 105s.

SW - Titleist Vokey 54, 10 bounce, S grind. Nippon Modus 105s

LW - Titleist vokey 58, 8 bounce, M Grind. Nippon Modus 105s

Putter - Toulon Las Vegas

Ball - ProV1x, Maxli Tour X

On 6/12/2023 at 10:44 AM, MelloYello said:

Sound is such an interesting thing. 

I've heard Faxon say he loves the 'click' of a Scotty while to my ears (maybe having played music for a long time) that harsh, high-pitched click is loud and sounds--for lack of a better word--cheap. 

Give me a soft, dull-sounding insert all day long. 

It's so personal. 

For me if its a blade i love that scotty click, but for mallets i love that muted thoc.