2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Taylormade MG4 Wedges

spinnywedge

I can see this happening as the demo MG3 wedges I’ve seen look much more worn than other branded. Even more worn than my T22 which are forged. Maybe the raw fave doesn’t help durability? I will say they feel and perform great new though. I just don’t think I can be replacing my wedges 2x a year at current prices (club golfer 130+ rounds a year here)

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

Just how bad is the damage to the ball? I only ask because 95% of my practice is in my own sim room, and scuffed balls spinning at 10k RPM ruin expensive screens. I already go through quite a few balls from removing them from play at the first sign of damage. 

Otherwise, I really like the look of these and would be all over ordering a pair. 

2 hours ago, bm11 said:

Just how bad is the damage to the ball? I only ask because 95% of my practice is in my own sim room, and scuffed balls spinning at 10k RPM ruin expensive screens. I already go through quite a few balls from removing them from play at the first sign of damage. 

Otherwise, I really like the look of these and would be all over ordering a pair. 

A couple pages back, I posted pics of a brand new ball after 9 holes on a dry day. I don't know how I could fake that, but some people are flaming me for the post. They spin like hell and really chew up balls.

Some concerns with durability of the wedges too. The microgrooves are wearing much faster than the milling on my SM9 that I bought in May. I'll provide pics of that later as more proof as well.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I like golf. A lot.

1 hour ago, TomBomb51 said:

A couple pages back, I posted pics of a brand new ball after 9 holes on a dry day. I don't know how I could fake that, but some people are flaming me for the post. They spin like hell and really chew up balls.

Some concerns with durability of the wedges too. The microgrooves are wearing much faster than the milling on my SM9 that I bought in May. I'll provide pics of that later as more proof as well.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but this worries me.

I was looking at the one at one of my local courses I've been testing, and it doesn't seem to be wearing too badly yet, but will have to give it a closer inspection.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

In my testing of a brand new MG4 58, it spun great.  Felt Fine - not QUITE as soft as a vokey, but less clicks than the Jaws variants..  I liked it a lot.  But on trackman it didn't spin more than my 4 month old SM9.  

I have nothing bad to say about the MG4.  A great wedge.  

(edit:  I revisited the MG4 wedges specifically to try out the Tiger Woods 60°.  this could be a game changer for me. It's got a ton of bounce at 11°, but the killer thing is the pre-worn leading edge.  There are times when I can get a little bit too aggressive with my hands ahead and slightly catch the edge of my Vokey which as everyone knows is a terrible thing on a 15 yard pitch shot.  I actually might pick one of these up before my game tomorrow and I'll post my results here.)

IMG_6573.jpeg

Edited by underwater
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

Here is what I was talking about. You can definitely see it in the pic, but it's worse in person. There's no more texture on the bottom part of the wedge (where it hits grass/ground and where the ball has made contact). The face is definitely less rough/textured than it was when I put them in play 2 weeks ago. Again, my SM9 that I bought in May (~60 rounds on it) is holding up much better than the MG4.

AIL4fc8sx_CYMvZMO2-OGf4y7FrIQorg8_zKZBS4ejHy-29px2y3BvBziLf0z5ZKCEsuhVIZRVujeJ1TuMVC6pzm30fjZl9QTzbLypDnj6E6rmkg2zDJOAeRcFCvpf5ryF6i-B2hytseNdDhPSM6_3dAuc-Az22X9n1Jfbj-TFERwUvd2VokpwGKBRP8rBMVvoI8tyMA5HNEHHR0Qk3CjuRMkq8_IsOuUJ60GwEFWnUwDd5hmTh5e6zhINoJjl3-ux580vwWsO6E9A2azn_hY2p0w2OUPQj3i2HVVHUK0hS29maCcgClje1n23jeC4tWIiK7NiB4iH6sm2T8rZiiLoEnUqxZ8fdWZVTX1jyW_TJr5S0TsrpVCaHDahDgKClgNpElw1wA1RdOrbe-ndlR3jZaT4rYQVot2DjlPjX_PpPRW_9gTsIOeSVucd41HG4h-BTMH4mp3-pykKqTfwb9U1goPyqlXxwsKpxvRYFSpbikHSUWm6ggT-L5DirKWjuBtk_hkSbIM1PrecabETi8quKJbHB2JuQv7I4soUess-pUYjEMAekXlliBBMkEr2lKzyid-BBfUosDQsPaq1BlDSsP1yXeYI_9igeC59zZ6Y3TVmD512Dje4ylfEAhIfMu7CJFQI3QcfzI-HzWkWjGL971OUO33DM6W0497WZueokkSkoI8-gxaOacnFivzM-rARNup4pFBIZLqyIVjgq00ulJfzqxyIbF5LKk_K5CME96FvtEzjcHwbqDYxCOcCZ0ZoWrwdgUeaaHpGrCrn8WCvuuLa9I8WMPx1VzWhbQNnCcjq3rg0hgRxsDlkXCu7KT7kPAdl0gPdnKAvaPJ4NPKyw0YINWWOTk96B3BEhp6gDtbBFUE-nRFMzmoqEckxPA9ddkEvauZqBYnenvmqIF7nc5Kk0=w733-h973-s-no?authuser=0

It’s just laser etching treatment to the face. It’s not going to be permanent, but will have almost no effect on performance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

7 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

It’s just laser etching treatment to the face. It’s not going to be permanent, but will have almost no effect on performance. 

I disagree, if the etching is one of the selling features:

LASER SCORING FOR BETTER SPIN

Milled Grind 4 utilizes laser etched Spin Tread and a raw face to provide better bite around the greens and superior spin in wet conditions. Refined shaping creates a smooth aesthetic that inspires creativity around the greens, while improved mass distribution provides a solid feel.

So once the etching is gone, then what?

I bet it does effect performance, would have to test a new one vs a well used one to be 100% sure

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Any brand new wedge is going to outperform one used for a month, but the difference is negligible. Don’t confuse marketing jargon for actual performance.

Most other brand new wedges aren't being sold based on a feature that seems to wearing off worryingly quick though.

Let me start with this isn't a problem as much as an observation.  The MG4s are going about 4-5 less yards with these than my bought in Feb SM9s.  On my GC3 and on the course I'm seeing these launch about a degree higher with spin 400-600 RPM more.  Don't see any real difference in chips or short pitches around the green but full shots with my 52 and 56 I'm going to have to redo my yardages.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, PickItUpGolf said:

Most other brand new wedges aren't being sold based on a feature that seems to wearing off worryingly quick though.

Taylormade, Cleveland, Callaway, and others have been etching patterns on wedge faces in several models for years. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Taylormade, Cleveland, Callaway, and others have been etching patterns on wedge faces in several models for years. 

Yes, and are those also wearing off after a few rounds? 

How does the Ping technology hold up against the etching on the MG4? Just as an example...

These are the kinds of things I'm intrigued by.

If I can, I'll have a look at the demo one again later in the week, see how it's looking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PickItUpGolf said:

How does the Ping technology hold up against the etching on the MG4? Just as an example...

If I can, I'll have a look at the demo one again later in the week, see how it's looking.

1 minute ago, PickItUpGolf said:

Yeah, the face etchings wear pretty quickly. Pings hydropearl finish is a coating, so it’s more durable, but will also wear and diminish performance but not as quickly as etching. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harriscli said:

Let me start with this isn't a problem as much as an observation.  The MG4s are going about 4-5 less yards with these than my bought in Feb SM9s.  On my GC3 and on the course I'm seeing these launch about a degree higher with spin 400-600 RPM more.  Don't see any real difference in chips or short pitches around the green but full shots with my 52 and 56 I'm going to have to redo my yardages.  

I too have a GC3 and have seen similar results. I'm seeing the same difference in yardage but I'm actually seeing lower launch and more spin (at least for the first week).

The spin has absolutely decreased which to @PickItUpGolf's point, my SM9 from earlier this year has barely dropped off, while the MG4 have in 2 weeks as well as visually worn down.

They are still good wedges, I just know that they will be getting replaced much quicker. MUCH quicker.

• Like 1

I like golf. A lot.

9 hours ago, Enjoi said:

I agree with the spin on full shots. I know you’re not supposed to hit full shots often with wedges but my 54 is my 110-115 club normally and I swear I’m having a hard time getting over 105. Spin is insane on these, I might have to go back to Callaway unfortunately 

Did you use the same shaft with Callaway on MG4?

11.5 BRNR Copper & 13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

20 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

Here is what I was talking about. You can definitely see it in the pic, but it's worse in person. There's no more texture on the bottom part of the wedge (where it hits grass/ground and where the ball has made contact). The face is definitely less rough/textured than it was when I put them in play 2 weeks ago. Again, my SM9 that I bought in May (~60 rounds on it) is holding up much better than the MG4.

PXL_20230919_204927351.jpg

Don't hit rocks with it maybe? My MG 3's still look brand new despite many rounds and practice. 

• Like 1

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

6 minutes ago, byoshio82 said:

Don't hit rocks with it maybe? My MG 3's still look brand new despite many rounds and practice. 

Rocks? I don't see any rock damage...I have had the wedges for 2 weeks and have hit exactly 0 rocks.

I am also not alone in this thread with these concerns. Read up a few posts, theres at least a handful that have been agreeing with me.

• Sad 1

I like golf. A lot.

1 minute ago, TomBomb51 said:

Rocks? I don't see any rock damage...I have had the wedges for 2 weeks and have hit exactly 0 rocks.

I am also not alone in this thread with these concerns. Read up a few posts, theres at least a handful that have been agreeing with me.

Sarcasm. Don't get your panties in a bunch. That photo is after just 2 weeks? Is that all from bag chatter?

• Haha 1

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

1 minute ago, byoshio82 said:

Sarcasm. Don't get your panties in a bunch. That photo is after just 2 weeks? Is that all from bag chatter?

I think what you are referring to are just wet streaks as I had cleaned them up for the photo. But yes, I walk when I play and they do chatter, naturally. 

I like golf. A lot.

8 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

So get rid of the wedges.Your over the top whining and less than awe "inspiring" evidence of inferiority adds little. Just buy other wedges, these are apparently just not for u

sad guru studio GIF by True and the Rainbow Kingdom

• Haha 3

Had mine on trackman day one shot one and now on round 7 with them and a couple practice sessions. The texture of the wedge is for sure less aggressive. Seeing about 75-100 rpm less spin.( this could just be my delivery on any given day) I have not tested in wet conditions because well I ain’t golfing in the rain lol… look I love Vokey wedges and they make some of the best so if ur like an SM9 guy just wait till SM10 and move on…but what I will say is these are a great wedges. I have had MGs in my bag interchangeably with vokeys for the past two interations. I love the standard bounce grind for my 54/56 as I find it can be opened a touch for play around the green but is better for me on full shots then a S grind or F grind.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, tphilp said:

Had mine on trackman day one shot one and now on round 7 with them and a couple practice sessions. The texture of the wedge is for sure less aggressive. Seeing about 75-100 rpm less spin.( this could just be my delivery on any given day) I have not tested in wet conditions because well I ain’t golfing in the rain lol… look I love Vokey wedges and they make some of the best so if ur like an SM9 guy just wait till SM10 and move on…but what I will say is these are a great wedges. I have had MGs in my bag interchangeably with vokeys for the past two interations. I love the standard bounce grind for my 54/56 as I find it can be opened a touch for play around the green but is better for me on full shots then a S grind or F grind.  

You are a little more eloquent in your response, but this is exactly what I was trying to get across. Facts with numbers, pictures, etc. but state that they arent bad wedges. They are in fact, great wedges (really, what wedges arent when they are new), but I am glad others are here to convey the same message, they seem to be wearing down much quicker than your typical wedge (and again, prove this with FACT).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like golf. A lot.

14 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

You are a little more eloquent in your response, but this is exactly what I was trying to get across. Facts with numbers, pictures, etc. but state that they arent bad wedges. They are in fact, great wedges (really, what wedges arent when they are new), but I am glad others are here to convey the same message, they seem to be wearing down much quicker than your typical wedge (and again, prove this with FACT).

yeah I think there are guys that are just “Vokey” guys just like with putters there are guys that are “Scotty” guys and that’s fine. If it works for u or u grew up on that maybe it is best for u. I will play any brand anywhere in my bag as long as it’s the best performing stuff. 

TM makes great wedges and that’s been proven in multiple tests over the years. Is there marketing more out there then say Titleist…yes it is….do I take anything a guy like Trotty or Johnny Wonder over at Callaway says with a grain of salt yes I do and so should everyone. 

anyways back on topic here has anyone used the SB-C? I am curious on this one to test against my L grind 60. 

I had s400 shafts in the SM9 54/58 wedges. The new 56* and 60* TW Grind came with s200 shafts. The distance was relatively shorter with the s200s. I swapped them with s400s, a better combination than SM9 wedges! I noticed better dispersion and consistency in MG4s than in SM9s.

• Like 2

11.5 BRNR Copper & 13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1