NFL Weekly Picks 2023

touch

5 hours ago, Triple Lindy said:

Since I’m a Cowboys fan, I’ve paid attention to most NFC teams over the years. Your discussion got me to thinking. Have the Bears EVER had a star QB? McMahon won a SB, but he wasn’t anything special, was he? Cutler?

... I moved to Chicago in '78 and have been a fan ever since. I could make the argument McMahon was a star QB because he won several games coming from behind with his passing. He was smart enough to know the defense and Walter Payton were the real stars so he did what he had to do. I think he was much better than many realize but he never had to prove much with buddy Ryans defense.

... I would also make the argument Cutler was a star but had such a troubled career in Chicago it's a tough argument. 23,443yds  and closest to him is Luckman with 14,686 playing 26 more games. He threw 154 TD's and other than Luckmans 137 no other QB has more than 68. When Rodgers got a new OC and they struggled early he said the first year is always a learning process with a new OC and new scheme and things aren't where they should be til year #2. Cutler had 6 different OC's or offensive schemes and never got a full 2nd year to implement an offense. He will always be a star in my book but I know I am in the minority. 

... Other than those two? Some reasonably capable QB's but nary a star to be found. Until April 2024. 🥳

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Michigan Football: Recapping a HUGE Recruiting Weekend - Page 2

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

I’ve said it before in here and I’ll say it again. I think Williams is going to be a  bust. He may have a good year or two, but the one I compare him to is Cam Newton. He’s about himself. And nothing else. 

I have a feeling this year may well  be like the 83 draft, someone taken later could easily emerge as the best. If I had that top pick, I’m moving down and taking my chances later. How many “generational talents” actually become one. There is so much QB depth this year. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I’ve said it before in here and I’ll say it again. I think Williams is going to be a  bust. He may have a good year or two, but the one I compare him to is Cam Newton. He’s about himself. And nothing else.

... I have also said from the beginning I am on board as a Drake Maye fan for many reasons. Red flag if Williams believes the Bears should keep Fields. Either he doesn't wanna play in Chicago or he is challenging the GM and the franchise. Neither are a good way to start a career with a team. 

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have also said from the beginning I am on board as a Drake Maye fan for many reasons. Red flag if Williams believes the Bears should keep Fields. Either he doesn't wanna play in Chicago or he is challenging the GM and the franchise. Neither are a good way to start a career with a team. 

That’s the thing to me. He’s already dictating terms. Can you imagine trying to coach him when he knows the franchise has more invested in him than the entire staff

21 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

That’s the thing to me. He’s already dictating terms. Can you imagine trying to coach him when he knows the franchise has more invested in him than the entire staff

From speculation, they may clean house in Chicago because the new president didn’t hire the GM, the coach or was in place when any of the players were signed or drafted.  I have also heard that the Commanders are prepared to move heaven and earth to get #1 pick.  

So CW may not want to say much and lobby for being the top pick at least until he officially declares for the draft.  His traits are what teams want.  Also he is a junior and makes good NIL money, so he does have some leverage.  I don’t think he is the next Mahomes, more do to coaching, he’s not getting Andy Reid and the Chiefs organization is better, but I think he will be a high quality starter for years.

Chisag and I disagree strongly, but I think Drake Maye has a higher chance of being a bust, especially going to a bad team.  Although he has all the traits, I don’t think he makes the players around him better.  I think he would be better served falling to a team with better talent and quite frankly a better run organization.  

If there are 6 QBs drafted in the first round, history has shown 50% will be a bust, or be a career back up.  Even the 83 draft only had 2 of the 5 selected in the first round be what I call great careers (Elway & Marino).

Edited by NJBigFish22

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

14 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

From speculation, they may clean house in Chicago because the new president didn’t hire the GM, the coach or was in place when any of the players were signed or drafted.  I have also heard that the Commanders are prepared to move heaven and earth to get #1 pick.  

So CW may not want to say much and lobby for being the top pick at least until he officially declares for the draft.  His traits are what teams want.  Also he is a junior and makes good NIL money, so he does have some leverage.  I don’t think he is the next Mahomes, more do to coaching, he’s not getting Andy Reid and the Chiefs organization is better, but I think he will be a high quality starter for years.

Chisag and I disagree strongly, but I think Drake Maye has a higher chance of being a bust, especially going to a bad team.  Although he has all the traits, I don’t think he makes the players around him better.  I think he would be better served falling to a team with better talent and quite frankly a better run organization.  

If there are 6 QBs drafted in the first round, history has shown 50% will be a bust, or be a career back up.  Even the 83 draft only had 2 of the 5 selected in the first round be what I call great careers (Elway & Marino).

Exactly. 2 out of 6. And arguably the best of the bunch was the sixth one taken. Admittedly that’s not an every year occurrence, but the depth of this year’s draft is similar. I agree with you on Maye, I’m not as sold on him either. Williams is the big question mark. Are you going to mortgage your future on a guy who has already shown he’s a “me first” type player. 

I’d sure rather take my chances with someone like Pennix, who is a leader and teammate (and I think vastly underrated) at 10 or 12 than blow my team’s future to get a maybe. Seems Washington would remember RG III. 

25 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Exactly. 2 out of 6. And arguably the best of the bunch was the sixth one taken. Admittedly that’s not an every year occurrence, but the depth of this year’s draft is similar. I agree with you on Maye, I’m not as sold on him either. Williams is the big question mark. Are you going to mortgage your future on a guy who has already shown he’s a “me first” type player. 

I’d sure rather take my chances with someone like Pennix, who is a leader and teammate (and I think vastly underrated) at 10 or 12 than blow my team’s future to get a maybe. Seems Washington would remember RG III. 

I will take Elway over Marino everyday.  If it was a pure passing competition then Marino wins, but as a whole on the football field #7 gets my vote.

As for would I mortgage my future on CW, kinda damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  If you pass on him and he wins big, you’re probably out of a job, if you do and he’s a bust, same thing.  If I was a GM and have the number 1 pick, I’m taking him, only caveat to that is if someone is offering me 3 first round picks, really good left tackle and a really good edge rusher.

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, deadsolid...shank said:

d sure rather take my chances with someone like Pennix, who is a leader and teammate (and I think vastly underrated) at 10 or 12 than blow my team’s future to get a maybe. 

... It's always interesting speculating on how college QB's will play in the NFL. Many a GM has lost their job getting it wrong. But giving credit where credit is due with college performances by college QB's, Penix performance in the Sugar Bowl was one of the best I have ever seen. He excelled on every level. Especially considering how big the stage was. I really hope Washington wins it all.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It's always interesting speculating on how college QB's will play in the NFL. Many a GM has lost their job getting it wrong. But giving credit where credit is due with college performances by college QB's, Penix performance in the Sugar Bowl was one of the best I have ever seen. He excelled on every level. Especially considering how big the stage was. I really hope Washington wins it all.  

Heck, I'm just hoping for a Chicago Bear victory over Green Bay so the Seahawks can maybe squeak into the playoffs.

Oh, and I hope Washington wins it all.  But it will be tougher to do with their best running back probably out. That looked like a nasty injury.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

Posted (edited)

My final record for the Bowl Games 

Previous 2 weeks Bowl Game record 3-2-1 going into this week. 

SMU  -10    Loss

KSU  -2.5   Win

ARIZONA - 3  Win

CLEMSON  -4  Loss

IOWA ST.  -10  Loss

MISSOURI / OSU  Over  49.5  Loss

MISSOURI +1  Win

MARYLAND +7 Win   

WYOMING  -3.5 Loss     

LSU  -10  Loss

LIBERTY / OREGON  Over 67.5 Loss

BAMA +2 Loss

Washington +4.5 Win

How much were these bonus picks worth again @Qqq123xx?

I hit both 

Alabama/Michigan  44-59      47 points scored      Win       

Texas/Washington  60-75       68 points scored     Win 

This week 5-8   + two bonus plays  *tbd their value 

8 winning picks 10 losing picks 1 push 2 Bonus winners 

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I’ve said it before in here and I’ll say it again. I think Williams is going to be a  bust.

I agree. I get the same vibes from him as I did from THE Dwayne Haskins coming out of college. 😛

If I am drafting a QB I am taking Penix. Though admittedly I don't watch much college football until the playoffs, I did tune into the Washington - Oregon State game this year and after watching that game made it me a believer so I tuned into other Husky games following the Wash/OSU game.  His performance last night sealed my belief that he is the best QB in college football. 

• Like 1

Week 18   Lines for Picks

Saturday Jan 6th

Pittsburgh -3 1/2              at             Baltimore                 37 1/2 

Houston                            at             Indy -1                     47

Sunday 

Tampa -5 1/2                   at             Carolina                   37 1/2

Jacksonville -3 1/2          at             Tennessee              40 1/2 

Cleveland                        at              Cincinnati -5           40

Atlanta                             at             New Orleans -4       41 1/2

NY Jets                           at              New England -2      32

Minnesota                       at              Detroit -5                45

Philadelphia -6               at              NY Giants                42 1/2

Dallas -13 1/2                 at              Washington              46 1/2

Chicago                          at              Green Bay -3           44

LA Rams                         at              San Fran -5              42 1/2

Kansas City                   at               LA Chargers -1 1/2  35 1/2 

Seattle -3                      at               Arizona                      47 1/2 

Denver                           at               Las Vegas -2 1/2       38

Buffalo -3                      at               Miami                          50 

Our Picks  Week 18 

TL                 Tampa              Detroit             New Orleans   

8 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I will take Elway over Marino everyday.  If it was a pure passing competition then Marino wins, but as a whole on the football field #7 gets my vote.

As for would I mortgage my future on CW, kinda damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  If you pass on him and he wins big, you’re probably out of a job, if you do and he’s a bust, same thing.  If I was a GM and have the number 1 pick, I’m taking him, only caveat to that is if someone is offering me 3 first round picks, really good left tackle and a really good edge rusher.

As long as Elway has Terrell Davis and a great defense.   Marino had hardly anything to work with and still balled out

Not only do I think Marino is better than Elway, but I could say he might have been the best to ever play QB.  He was the definition of the perfect passer. And I never rooted for the Dolphins ever.  I think Joe Montana even said Marino was the best QB to ever play the game. The thing one has to wonder is whether other teams' front offices putting out smokescreens like chum to entice Chicago not to draft Caleb Williams, or is it real? I think they should build around Justin and load up on skill positions.  I like his progress.  But that takes some huge cahones, not to mention a salary cap hit.  Kyler Murray is another QB who got a bad rap and is now developing.  One could say the same about Lamar Jackson and look at him.  He seems primed to deliver in the playoffs.  The Ravens like Denver with Elway were a quality team and franchise.  But unlike Elway who was past his prime in those Super Bowl runs he rode on the backs of Terrell Davis and elite skill position players, while Lamar has taken that offense and put it on his back.  I am willing to bet Belichick and the Commanders are salivating over the thought of getting Caleb Williams.

I would go on to say that Elway played like a dog in most of his Super Bowl appearances.  The only thing more overrated is Elway"s tenure in the front office.  Maybe a top 10 Qb of all time around 9-10 but not better than Marino

• Like 1

Week 18 Picks:

Atl/NO Over

Arizona

KC/LAC Over

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* / Autoflex Dumina SF505

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

TM M1 5W 19* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Takomo 201 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 105X

Titleist SM8 50* / New Level SPN VS 56* 60* / PX IO 6.5 "8i Spinner"

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Snell MTB Black or Prime 4.0

Our Picks  Week 18 

TL                 Tampa              Detroit             New Orleans

imk              ATL/NO Over    Arizona            KC/LAC Over    

The NFL Playoffs Contest 2023-2024 

Please make sure you understand the format and the point system. Please also bookmark this post so you have it handy all Playoffs long to refer to when you have to submit your total points for the week. 

How it works.

Each player gets two Double It Please (DIP) plays to start. DIP's are totally optional. They can be used only during the first two weeks of the Playoffs. That is the Wild Card Weekend and the Divisional round weekend. You can use your DIP plays once each week during the first two weeks. Again this play is optional. 

Week 1 - Wildcard Weekend 

Pick either a side or an O/U in all the games. A DIP Play is allowed. 

Each winning pick is worth 20 points.

A loss is 0 points. 

A Push is worth 5 points. 

If you DIP'd a play and it hits you win 40 points. If you lose your DIP play it is -20 points, and again if you Push it is worth 5 points 

Week 2 - Divisional Round 

Pick a side AND an O/U in all the games. A DIP Play is allowed.

Each winning pick is worth 15 points. A loss is 0 points. A push is 5.

If you hit a DIP it is 30 points won. If you lose it's -15 points. A push is 5. 

* The Double It Play (always optional) at this point in the contest is now over. There is no DIP play involved during the final two weeks. 

Week 3 - Conference Championship Games

Pick a side AND an O/U in both games. 

A winning Pick is worth 10 points 

0 for a losing Pick.

A Push is worth 5 Points 

Week 4 - Super Bowl

Pick both the side and an O/U in the game. 

Each winning Pick is worth 25 points.

0 points for a losing Pick, and 5 for a Push. 

Submit a Total Points Scored in the game in the case we need a tiebreaker. 

Super Bowl LVlll       Predictions 

P48                       Buffalo          Philadelphia             74

LP                         Miami            Philadelphia             60

NJBF                    Cincy             San Fran                  64

P3P                      KC                  Philadelphia            55

chisag                  KC                  Philadelphia            68

IMK                      Buffalo           San Fran                  45

CH                       Jacksonville   Philadelphia            69

TL                        NY Jets          San Fran                  23

DMM                   Baltimore       Philadelphia             50

Q                          KC                 Philadelphia             59

doc                      Baltimore       Philadelphia            51

NCL                     Baltimore       Dallas                      65

Looks like the prayers were not answered at Liberty  

What was I thinking?  Oregon is a good program. 
Bo Nix has to be rising up draft boards  

5 years is a lot but he looks good  

Belichick might go after him  

More accurate than Mac Jones in college  

Played in the elite conferences 

6’2” 216lbs

Give that man a contract  

Could be another Neil Lomax who played his entire career with the St Louis Cardinals  

Or maybe another Joey Harrington LoL 

Anyway  I got wiped out in the middle part of the Bowl parade.  Started strong and ended strong and hit the cliff climbing contest for the kitchen appliances and the brand new AMC Pacer on with the point spreads with my totals picks.  I went against my Terps, but so happy they won and it’s great for their future. 

The green is my correct picks 

Looks like I went 10-7 plus two creamy middles between those wafers 

For a + 2? 
Anyway off to the dermatologist 

Search for Red spots and bumps 

I just had a Basel cell lump dug out of my ear  

Just happy to be off work and able to post 

Happy New Year 

Stay healthy and happy 

IMG_5288.jpeg

• Like 2