2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Project X wedge shaft is FIRE

Kgm

You could also do a combo set. Px lz in your long irons, px regular in your short irons and pw/gap, px wedge in your wedges (sand and lob). If you are not interested in feel around the greens or shorter shots you should try px iron shaft in those wedges also. That would probably be the lowest trajectory you can get. In my opinion.

• Like 1

It’s funny. When you learn what the px wedge shafts are you will all laugh..

• Haha 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

25 minutes ago, Kgm said:

Not sure what you mean. Enlighten us please

I will start with this. Everyone or almost everyone has already played this shaft before.

• Thanks 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

I will start with this. Everyone or almost everyone has already played this shaft before.

I’ll bite.  S300 with the steps knocked out?  Have to think the s300 is the most common shaft of all time.

if not for your hint, I would have thought it’s just a flex softer wedge shaft with 5 grams added weight somewhere in the shaft.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kgm said:

Seeing as he won’t say I call BS. Maybe just trolling at this point.

It’s an s400 with the steps hammered out. I have been driving all day home from thanksgiving sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 10:16 PM, QuigleyDU said:

It’s an s400 with the steps hammered out. I have been driving all day home from thanksgiving sorry.

This actually makes a lot of sense!! All the people that love the feel of s400 but not the weight...go down 5-7 grams and boom there you go. It's likely the best wedge profile of all time which this now just covers 90% of us that are playing px6.5

I personally love the weight of s400 and play px6.5 in all my irons. If it ever gets too heavy its great to know I can just go to the px6.5wedge shaft, same profile just lighter!

BTW How did you find that out??

Cobra Radspeed 10.5* tour length w/ hzrdus smoke blue rdx 6.5 70g

Cobra Radspeed 3w 14.5* w/ hzrdus smoke blue rdx 6.5 70g

Srixon ZX MKII utility 20* w/ graphite design tour AD IZ 95S 

Taylormade P770 4 & 5 iron w/ PX 6.5
Taylormade P7TW's (6-PW) w/ PX 6.5 
Titleist Vokey 51 w/ PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey 55, 59 w/ Dynamic Gold tour issue S400 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 11:28 AM, JJgolfwrx said:

Did you do PX 7.0 straight in, did you soft step it? 

Dude , this is WRX , probably hard stepped 2x! 😉

I saved a set of .355 6.5 satins for my current irons and I'm going 7.0's wedges straight in. I play 7.0 ss 1x or 6.5's , depending on the heads. 

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 12:26 PM, BobbyBuckets1986 said:

This actually makes a lot of sense!! All the people that love the feel of s400 but not the weight...go down 5-7 grams and boom there you go. It's likely the best wedge profile of all time which this now just covers 90% of us that are playing px6.5

I personally love the weight of s400 and play px6.5 in all my irons. If it ever gets too heavy its great to know I can just go to the px6.5wedge shaft, same profile just lighter!

BTW How did you find that out??

Funny, I play 6.5 in irons and S400 in wedges and was debating switching to these.. now I have no reason to 😂 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 9:16 PM, QuigleyDU said:

Where did you get this information? So s400 with steps hammered = PX 6.0 or PX 6.5 “wedge” shaft?

Callaway Rough SZ 8.0* Fuji Evo 757x / Fairway 15* Shaft TBD

Cleveland 588h 18* Speeder 904hb / Srixon ZU85 23* 4u

King Cobra Forged CB 5-Pw Nippon Modus 120x

Mizuno T20 50s Modus 120x, SM4 55.12 / Callaway MDf 60* DG Spinner 

Odyssey O-Works Black 1WS

14 minutes ago, jedc said:

Where did you get this information? So s400 with steps hammered = PX 6.0 or PX 6.5 “wedge” shaft?

Correct

BALL; Chrome Soft X

3 hours ago, Thayneil said:

I think the steps are one of the last things done  during production so rather than the steps being hammered out they are just not  hammered in!

Not how it was explained to me. But maybe. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

5 hours ago, Thayneil said:

I think the steps are one of the last things done  during production so rather than the steps being hammered out they are just not  hammered in!

No you got that wrong. 

All stepless shafts is stepped as a start, then a process called swagging is used to remove the steps to make a taper shape. When TT bought the left overs from RR, they changed the way that process was done. RR did it from both ends, with a overlap on the middle, while TT found a way to make it all from one side. Thats why so many players claimed that there is a FEEL difference between the RR made PX vs TT made PX shafts (satin vs chrome). The only difference is the way the steps is removed, and that is most likely why they can feel different to some. TT said the RR method could lead to "inconsistencies" on the overlapped section, so to avoid that, they developed a new method where all was done from one side.   

If whats been said above here is true (about THIS PX shaft), thats its really a stepless DGS, its easy to figure that out.
TTs DGS design has 2 tapers, not only the last 6/8" down in the hosel, but a second taper who starts there, and end at the fist step. I dont have measurement for DGS, but have it for DGX, and right below the first step, DGX is 0.386", while PX is using a strait 0.370 on the whole tip section (expect the last 6/8" for taper tip) 

So, simply measure the tip OD where the main taper stops and tip section starts, if its 0.370, its still a PX model, if its 0.386 its a DG model, now step less. 

image.jpeg.459fd9e017e3ebc4369ff740a4de82de.jpeg

PS! All numbers above is actual measurements from my studio, its NOT "published numbers" from TT, so any differences found between the 37" #9 and 40" #1 shaft, can be due to tolerances or measurements itself.

The stepped section on DGS/DGX is 12 x 1.75" = 21"
That means if PX wedge is a step less DG, the main taper should be 21" long + a second taper starting below the main taper, where OD should be 0.386" where its starts.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

49 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

No you got that wrong. 

All stepless shafts is stepped as a start, then a process called swagging is used to remove the steps to make a taper shape. When TT bought the left overs from RR, they changed the way that process was done. RR did it from both ends, with a overlap on the middle, while TT found a way to make it all from one side. Thats why so many players claimed that there is a FEEL difference between the RR made PX vs TT made PX shafts (satin vs chrome). The only difference is the way the steps is removed, and that is most likely why they can feel different to some. TT said the RR method could lead to "inconsistencies" on the overlapped section, so to avoid that, they developed a new method where all was done from one side.   

If whats been said above here is true (about THIS PX shaft), thats its really a stepless DGS, its easy to figure that out.
TTs DGS design has 2 tapers, not only the last 6/8" down in the hosel, but a second taper who starts there, and end at the fist step. I dont have measurement for DGS, but have it for DGX, and right below the first step, DGX is 0.386", while PX is using a strait 0.370 on the whole tip section (expect the last 6/8" for taper tip) 

So, simply measure the tip OD where the main taper stops and tip section starts, if its 0.370, its still a PX model, if its 0.386 its a DG model, now step less. 

image.jpeg.459fd9e017e3ebc4369ff740a4de82de.jpeg

PS! All numbers above is actual measurements from my studio, its NOT "published numbers" from TT, so any differences found between the 37" #9 and 40" #1 shaft, can be due to tolerances or measurements itself.

The stepped section on DGS/DGX is 12 x 1.75" = 21"
That means if PX wedge is a step less DG, the main taper should be 21" long + a second taper starting below the main taper, where OD should be 0.386" where its starts.

I will just say that I got that it was a step less dg s400 straight from the horse…

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

I will just say that I got that it was a step less dg s400 straight from the horse…

That might be so, but what flex was that valid for?

DGS400 is 132 grams at 37.00", PX wedge is 36.50", who should make the start wgt about 130+ grams = 7.0 flex. (minus about 10 = FCM 6.0 where DGS 400 is, but then its a no longer 10 CPM softer as the info from TT say, it will be about 15 CPM softer since PX is 5-10 stronger as FCM then the flex label indicate. That can be fixed where they tip trim it (make the tip 0.5 shorter than DG), who might explain 36.50" vs 37.00" 

Next issue is the other flexes, they would have to use the same method as KBS, where 5 grams is 5 CPM, and then starting point is no longer the same tube DGS 400 started from, but a softer (thinner shaft walls) where 6.5 would have the same wall thickness as DGS-200 "Wedge flex" (5 grams down from S400), but still with the same butt, taper and tip length).

If this info is correct, PX wedge should have a TAPER/MID section of 21.00" a butt section of 8.00" and a tip section of 7.5, who is taper from the main taper and down like i explained above.

If this is correct, then its really the discontinued DGS wedge that was 36.50", in a step less version, and we can then make the same shaft (but with steps), by what i call Tiger stepping, who is tip trimmed tapers, in this case 4/8" (DGS 400 37.00"/#9 as starting point)

So who is the horse you refer too?

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

DGS400 is 132 grams at 37.00", PX wedge is 36.50", who should make the start wgt about 130+ grams = 7.0 flex. (minus about 10 = FCM 6.0 where DGS 400 is, but then its a no longer 10 CPM softer as the info from TT say, it will be about 15 CPM softer since PX is 5-10 stronger as FCM then the flex label indicate. That can be fixed where they tip trim it (make the tip 0.5 shorter than DG), who might explain 36.50" vs 37.00" 

Next issue is the other flexes, they would have to use the same method as KBS, where 5 grams is 5 CPM, and then starting point is no longer the same tube DGS 400 started from, but a softer (thinner shaft walls) where 6.5 would have the same wall thickness as DGS-200 "Wedge flex" (5 grams down from S400), but still with the same butt, taper and tip length).

If this info is correct, PX wedge should have a TAPER/MID section of 21.00" a butt section of 8.00" and a tip section of 7.5, who is taper from the main taper and down like i explained above.

If this is correct, then its really the discontinued DGS wedge that was 36.50", in a step less version, and we can then make the same shaft (but with steps), by what i call Tiger stepping, who is tip trimmed tapers, in this case 4/8" (DGS 400 37.00"/#9 as starting point)

This is why you’ve always been the man! 🤯 

7 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

The guy that designed the shaft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

3 minutes ago, golffeen007 said:

What’s your experience with the shaft? Do you feel It’s even close to the feel of s400’s in the variation you play?

I honestly have not tried it. Zero experience. I do play some s400s though..

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

9 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

What are we waiting for? Somebody get their PX wedge shaft out to the shop, grab a tape measure and some calipers, and get to work! 

Inquiring minds need to know. I’ll compensate you with one like for your troubles. 

1 hour ago, MFBach said:

What are we waiting for? Somebody get their PX wedge shaft out to the shop, grab a tape measure and some calipers, and get to work! 

Inquiring minds need to know. I’ll compensate you with one like for your troubles. 

Ive sent a mail to my former student, now master club fitter in Copenhagen Denmark, but he did NOT have any of them in stock or demo, so ive already tried to find the mesurements to see if this is "that simple"....and it probably is.

If we look at the EI profiles, the DGS profile is the closest to the OG PX profile, so if they alter it like ive described above, and made it a step less shaft, PX players will get the "PX feel"....

DGS in the middle
image.jpeg.1c830b5143cfdfe8586abb31c0df99e3.jpeg

The OG PX EI profile
image.png.ba3c399ee0b3c39eb9964b27adaeac55.png

I have no reason to doubt what QuigleyDU say, since it all match up and its more than just possible....all we need is the measurements of butt, taper and tip to nail it 100%, and like i said, IF this is correct, we can get there for less than half the price by using a DGS 200/300/400 #9 iron shaft, and tip trim it 4/8", just like i have described in the now pinned topic about the 3´#8 iron spinner trick.

THIS shaft will be "1 shaft softer" (soft-stepped 1x) vs what i suggest for GAP and further, (PX wedge is then like a dedicated DGS PW) so its NOT really a "spinner", but it will launch lower, and spin more than DGS 400 #9 strait in, but it will be the same as TIGER used for his wedges, only in a step less design with PX labels 

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

I have no reason to doubt what QuigleyDU say, since it all match up and its more than just possible....all we need is the measurements of butt, taper and tip to nail it 100%, and like i said, IF this is correct, we can get there for less than half the price by using a DGS 200/300/400 #9 iron shaft, and tip trim it 4/8", just like i have described in the now pinned topic about the 38 iron spinner trick.

THIS shaft will be "1 shaft softer" (soft-stepped 1x) vs what i suggest for GAP and further, so its NOT really a "spinner", but it will launch lower, and spin more than DGS 400 #9 strait in, but it will be the same as TIGER used for his wedges, only in a step less design with PX labels 

I don’t have a reason to doubt either of you. To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest. It sounds very much like something that a golf manufacturer would do, especially since TT owns both products now. 

Take the most popular wedge shafts of all time, make it look new and shiny, rename it under a popular brand, mark up the price, and sell them as fast as they can make them.

IF it’s true, the only thing that would surprise me is that they didn't produce one sooner. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MFBach said:

I don’t have a reason to doubt either of you. To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest. It sounds very much like something that a golf manufacturer would do, especially since TT owns both products now. 

Take the most popular wedge shafts of all time, make it look new and shiny, rename it under a popular brand, mark up the price, and sell them as fast as they can make them.

IF it’s true, the only thing that would surprise me is that they didn't produce one sooner. 

You got that right, but it IS more expensive to make a step less shaft, due to more work during production, so if we compare the price tag of PX wedge with DG Tour issue.....the price is quite fair, DG Tour issue is NOT, since we normally would like to have MORE start weight for a wedge than irons.

That means its the standard DG (not tour issue) we should look for as wedge, since those shafts "most likely" will be to the higher end of the weight range vs TI.....and TI labels looks like sh...to me, but thats because i dont like labels at all. (i FLO all shafts, so the label will hardly ever end where it should)

From #9 to LOB we loose close to 5 grams net shaft wgt using DG, so if we start 2 grams higher (S400), we reduce the weight drop to 3 grams vs 5 grams 

• Like 2

IF this PX wedge shaft becomes a hit on the marked, we can expect TT to re-introduce the 36.50" wedge shaft they took of the marked.....that was probably a big mistake when we know what we do about how spin and launch works in wedges today (ref the tread about the #8 iron spinner trick)

• Like 2