Houston Memberships

Drea

I have recently moved to the Heights area and looking for a course/club to join close by. I toured and really liked the Golf Club of Houston, I also looked at Memorial but it is mats only to hit off on the range, and not a fan of that. I want something decently nice with good practice areas, but also not trying to drop 50-100k on initiation fees. Any recommendations?   

Unless you’re willing to pay a higher initiation, your options are pretty much limited to either of the corporate owned groups - escalante (GCOH, black horse) or the club corp courses up in the woodlands. 

personally not a big fan of any of them. 

Champions is a good option but pretty inconvenient from your location 

Edited by ND2005

As a heights resident myself sadly there are no good options without dropping some coin. Royal Oaks isn’t terribly far away and last I talked to them was sub 50k. 

I was planning on joining GCOH and then my window got smashed in in the parking lot and when I asked if they had cameras they said did you park over there? Yeah that happens often here, so needless to say I’ll never spend another dime there. 

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

bleep

Edited by SnowbirdTom
Deleted

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Just went through this exercise for courses on the SW side.  Looked at Braeburn, westwood, Riverbend, Sugar creek, Sweetwater and also Golf Club of Houston.

Chose Riverbend for a number of reasons - course, course condition, men's locker room, cost.  From the Heights you will probably need to look North, but map it to Riverbend and see if this an option.

its probably the best deal in houston

• Like 3

Worth checking out Riverbend, Pine Forest, Braeburn. All are probably within half hour or so from the Heights outside of rush hour and not exorbitant initiation fees.

Course and practice facilities at Riverbend are solid though not much of a club really just a golf course. Great men’s locker room. Some good players out there and lots of games to get in on. Cheap initiation.

Pine Forest has three nines, all of which are solid, good grass range and short game area. About to kick off a reno one nine at a time I believe. Much more of a family club with than Riverbend. Still reasonably cheap to get in.

Braeburn just renovated the course and did a really good job. Fun track and was in great shape when I played last fall. Seemed like more of a traditional club atmosphere and I believe a bit more expensive than RB or PF but on the lower end.

Do not know much about Sugar Creek, Westwood or Royal Oaks but would also recommend checking those out as I think they are more or less in your wheelhouse price wise and have heard decent courses.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:58 PM, SauceJackson5000 said:

Worth checking out Riverbend, Pine Forest, Braeburn. All are probably within half hour or so from the Heights outside of rush hour and not exorbitant initiation fees.

Course and practice facilities at Riverbend are solid though not much of a club really just a golf course. Great men’s locker room. Some good players out there and lots of games to get in on. Cheap initiation.

Pine Forest has three nines, all of which are solid, good grass range and short game area. About to kick off a reno one nine at a time I believe. Much more of a family club with than Riverbend. Still reasonably cheap to get in.

Braeburn just renovated the course and did a really good job. Fun track and was in great shape when I played last fall. Seemed like more of a traditional club atmosphere and I believe a bit more expensive than RB or PF but on the lower end.

Do not know much about Sugar Creek, Westwood or Royal Oaks but would also recommend checking those out as I think they are more or less in your wheelhouse price wise and have heard decent courses.

Riverbend is a golf club with some other club amenities (workout facility, tennis courts, pool, dining room).  Its golf 99.9%.  Initiation goes up to $10k, October 1st.

Braeburn initiation is now $75k. 

Westwood is $50k, Sugar Creek is $14k, Sweetwater is $10k.

Those are all full equity memberships.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MAROON79 said:

Riverbend is a golf club with some other club amenities (workout facility, tennis courts, pool, dining room).  Its golf 99.9%.  Initiation goes up to $10k, October 1st.

Braeburn initiation is now $75k. 

Westwood is $50k, Sugar Creek is $14k, Sweetwater is $10k.

Those are all full equity memberships.

Braeburn about to hit their members with a MASSIVE assessment (I’ve heard as high as 90-100k) for clubhouse and facilities renovations. 

For a mediocre course located in a flood plain in a bad part of town it’s getting pretty ridiculous. Welcome to 2023 golf I guess. 

• Confused 1

On 9/5/2023 at 10:13 PM, ND2005 said:

Braeburn about to hit their members with a MASSIVE assessment (I’ve heard as high as 90-100k) for clubhouse and facilities renovations. 

For a mediocre course located in a flood plain in a bad part of town it’s getting pretty ridiculous. Welcome to 2023 golf I guess. 

when was the last time you played braeburn?  There is nothing mediocre about the course condition.  It's actually pretty damn hard of a course if you ask me. I honestly think Riverbend is a better layout, but not going to characterize BB as "mediocre".  The thing about BB is that inside the loop of Houston is country club purgatory.  There is only one option and its not affordable for 99.9%.  BB is close enough that its convenient and it has a very good membership.

3 hours ago, MAROON79 said:

when was the last time you played braeburn?  There is nothing mediocre about the course condition.  It's actually pretty damn hard of a course if you ask me. I honestly think Riverbend is a better layout, but not going to characterize BB as "mediocre".  The thing about BB is that inside the loop of Houston is country club purgatory.  There is only one option and its not affordable for 99.9%.  BB is close enough that its convenient and it has a very good membership.

3 or 4 months ago? I've played it about a half dozen times since the renovations through various friends. 

Conditions are always great. I just don't think the course itself is anything special. It's a nice walkable Parkland layout but it is land-locked with a few gimmicky holes (5 and 6 in particular). The renovations definitely improved it. 

It would have been a great course to join when my friends did - pre-pandemic at reasonable rates - but hard to swallow what they are charging now. 

But I agree with you about the larger problem with Houston golf when you live in town. 

• 3 months later...

I belong to Westwood and it’s a phenomenal course and club. Membership is great, staff is great and it’s in great shape. I’m from the northeast and the reminds me of the old courses up there. No BS, no gimmicks, I play it every week and never get tired of it. 

FWIW, I’ve played BB, RB, Sugar Creek, etc. 

Ping G430 Max w/HZRDUS Black 6.5

Srixon Zx Utility 3 Iron w/TourAD Di 95x

Callaway Apex MB 18 7-P w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Callaway Apex TCB 6 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Sub 70 685 CB 4 & 5 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Vokey SM9 50,54,58 w/S400TI

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Full Face 65 w/S400TI

LAB Golf Link.1

GFore Daytona Golf Bag 

On 12/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, elbellet said:

I belong to Westwood and it’s a phenomenal course and club. Membership is great, staff is great and it’s in great shape. I’m from the northeast and the reminds me of the old courses up there. No BS, no gimmicks, I play it every week and never get tired of it. 

Like BB, do you get tired of risking your life when not inside the gates?

• Like 2

New members should get a free 9mm when they join some of these Houston clubs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Like BB, do you get tired of risking your life when not inside the gates?

LOL - adds to the experience. But I do drive swiftly out and in the gates for sure. At least WW is on basically an island. 

Ping G430 Max w/HZRDUS Black 6.5

Srixon Zx Utility 3 Iron w/TourAD Di 95x

Callaway Apex MB 18 7-P w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Callaway Apex TCB 6 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Sub 70 685 CB 4 & 5 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Vokey SM9 50,54,58 w/S400TI

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Full Face 65 w/S400TI

LAB Golf Link.1

GFore Daytona Golf Bag 

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, elbellet said:

I've been able to play Westwood once and it was spectacular - absolutely loved the layout and reminded me of classic course construction. It is a fairly old course, right?

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

5 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

How do you guys feel about Bay Oaks? Thinking about applying to a superintendent opening down there. 

It's part of the Invited country club network on the southeast side of town near NASA which has been around for a while. Over the last few years, when I have played it, the course was in pretty decent shape and the greens were really good. The layout isn't bad and I enjoyed playing it, meanders through a neighborhood. However, I always seemed to play it right after the women's Division 3 Championships were being held there. Not sure about the current membership makeup or the club leadership or if Invited has has deemed it as one of the clubs they're going to "invest" in within their network.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snagy2000 said:

It's part of the Invited country club network on the southeast side of town near NASA which has been around for a while. Over the last few years, when I have played it, the course was in pretty decent shape and the greens were really good. The layout isn't bad and I enjoyed playing it, meanders through a neighborhood. However, I always seemed to play it right after the women's Division 3 Championships were being held there. Not sure about the current membership makeup or the club leadership or if Invited has has deemed it as one of the clubs they're going to "invest" in within their network.

The above is pretty much spot on. For those who don't know Invited Golf used to be Club Corp. As some of you may know Club Corp doesn't have the best reputation with some here.

On the south side Invited manages both Bay Oaks and Magnolia Creek. I play Mag Creek the majority of time but will play Bay Oaks a couple times a month. They just re-did all of their greens last summer. The neighborhood the course runs through is older but nice and well kept. Every time I have played it we have enjoyed our experience and were treated well as members of a sister course.

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag