Dynamic Gold vs Project X

texcrom

Comparable flex's
Todays question....

Considering giving the Project X's a shot in a new set of irons (MP-57's).

Unfortunately, everyone I ask has a different opinion. I have been playing S-400's in my MP-32's, and X-100's in my MP-33's (mostly playing the 32's, the 33's will never leave me).

Mizuno's stock shaft in Project X for the 57's is a 5.5, which one would assume would be comparable to a stiff DG (S-300?). However, the weight is about 10 grams lighter.

The Project X 6.0 is considered stiff by some, X-stiff by others. However, the wieght is more in line with the DG's (125g vs 130g).

So, assuming I favor the S-400, what am I looking at in the Project X's? Do I go 5.5, 6.0, or even up to the 6.5.?

Just looking for opinions from anyone who has played both. The consistent positive comments on the PX's have become too much to ignore, so might as well give them a shot.

Thanks to any and all for your responses and opinions.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar question a few days ago and I was asking about the DG S300 VS. the PRPX5.5's. Most ppl said that the weight was lighter on the 5.5's and got the ball up a bit easier. I would have to assume that the same would be true for the s-400 vs the 6.0's or the 6.5's....most ppl say go for the weaker of the two so 6.0 might be the better way to go instead of the 6.5's. Go hit them if you can I have not had the chance yet but the DGolds are a bit harsh IMO.

You will find a wide variety of opinions on this one as you well know. I have played the S300, S400, X100, PX 5.5 and currently have the PX flighted 6.0. I went from the S300 to the PX 5.5 and found the 5.5 to be flimsy. I had a set of Mizuno Pro II's with S400 prior and I have found that the PX flighted 6.0 play to a similar flex as the S400. As always it will depend on your swing and how you load the club, but like you I love the S400's and have found the PX 6.0 to be just as good.

went to the PX 5.5's 6 yrs ago. DG S300 was the staple shaft i had played until than. > PX 5.5's play stiffer then DG s-300's..

--- you may be bets with the 6.0's just for the fact that s-4's and x-100's play pretty damn firm. the lighter px 6.0 will have the firmness you like and not sacrifice control. many get the 6.0's and yes- too stiff fo rmany.. but if your coming form the shaft you mentin and like the S4's i have no problem saying to get the 6.0's. BUT by all means - go to the local store and demo one...

Aproximately:

DGS300 = 5.8FCM

DGX100 = 6.8FCM

PX5.5 = 6.0FCM

PX6.0 = 6.5FCM

I would have to say DGS400 more closer to PX5.5, but with +/-10gr differences, Playability will probably make the DGS400 feel a bit stiffer due to lost of swing speed.

In fair flex comparison, PX hits a little higher but with less spin compare to DG due to stiffer tip design, thus a lot of customers told me that PX feel harsher but fly longer ( higher flatter ball flight with slightly longer hang time than DG ), Most Pro still like DG due to higher spin for more agressive shot on attacking the pin.

Good Luck Tex! :)

Joe

Joe,

I am playing MX-25 irons with DGSL S300 shafts at +1". If I went to PX, what would you recommend? I hit my 7 iron 160 to 165 yards. What about the KB Tour shafts?

Will you be able to build Titleist AP2 irons?

Thanks,

Scott

I would say depending on how you load the shaft. You could end up softstep 5.5 or 5.5 straight in.

To be honest, I stlll don't have experience hitting KB on a real playing situation to really tell how the shaft react on my swing style. Maybe I'm gonna build one set of J36 COMBO with KB Tour shaft for my own if you guys like to hear my review on that combo.

I can always build any club customers wish...It's all come down to a question "what you really want me to do and how far you want me to go building your club? " and " Any budget I need to be aware of to serve your need?".

Aproximately:

DGS300 = 5.8FCM

DGX100 = 6.8FCM

PX5.5 = 6.0FCM

PX6.0 = 6.5FCM

I would have to say DGS400 more closer to PX5.5, but with +/-10gr differences, Playability will probably make the DGS400 feel a bit stiffer due to lost of swing speed.

In fair flex comparison, PX hits a little higher but with less spin compare to DG due to stiffer tip design, thus a lot of customers told me that PX feel harsher but fly longer ( higher flatter ball flight with slightly longer hang time than DG ), Most Pro still like DG due to higher spin for more agressive shot on attacking the pin.

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

My thought was that the 6.0 might be a better fit as the weight is more similar to the S-400 and X-100 (I believe 132g and 130g).

Or will the weight issue be offset by the stiffness in the 6.0?

Just a thought....and a question I guess.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Aproximately:

DGS300 = 5.8FCM

DGX100 = 6.8FCM

PX5.5 = 6.0FCM

PX6.0 = 6.5FCM

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

My thought was that the 6.0 might be a better fit as the weight is more similar to the S-400 and X-100 (I believe 132g and 130g).

Or will the weight issue be offset by the stiffness in the 6.0?

Just a thought....and a question I guess.

Depends,

Some are more sensitive than others with weight. Me one! :(

Some need more time to get the hang of it and some are not.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

I was curious how big of a jump 6.0's to 6.5s is? As well as is there any frequency difference between Flighted and regular PX? I currently game a set of 755s with regular 6.0s. I ordered a set of j36 Pockets and was contemplating 6.5s Flighted or 6.0s flighted hardstepped. I've never been clocked with a 6 iron, but my driver speed is around 115 mph. I hit my stock 6 iron 185-190. I have somewhat of a steep two-plane swing with what i would consider an average tempo. My ball flight is high, but pierces well. Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)

Callaway Epic SZ  triple diamond 9* AD IZ 6x
Callaway Epic SZ 15* Hzrdus smoke 70 6.5
Srixon u85 3 iron 
Srixon z785 4-p DG TI AMT x100
RTX4 52,56,60 DG s400 TI

Joe,

I was curious how big of a jump 6.0's to 6.5s is? As well as is there any frequency difference between Flighted and regular PX? I currently game a set of 755s with regular 6.0s. I ordered a set of j36 Pockets and was contemplating 6.5s Flighted or 6.0s flighted hardstepped. I've never been clocked with a 6 iron, but my driver speed is around 115 mph. I hit my stock 6 iron 185-190. I have somewhat of a steep two-plane swing with what i would consider an average tempo. My ball flight is high, but pierces well. Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)

I wish it would that simple to answer all your questions here. ;)

Just to answer what you might want to play:

Depending what high is for my fitter eyes base on lots of factors of course.

Just from your limited info, I would definitely go with normal PX6.0 at least. You might even can go with 6.5 if you have lots of load on your down swing + Better than average striker. If you need spin on your ball to attack the pin and at the same time you need lower trajectory, then DGX100 is the answer, or softstep once at least.

The jump from PX6.0 to 6.5 is noticeable for sure, especially PX has a stiff tip design which will make the feel a bit harsher at impact.

Joe

Joe,

Just from your limited info, I would definitely go with normal PX6.0 at least. You might even can go with 6.5 if you have lots of load on your down swing + Better than average striker. If you need spin on your ball to attack the pin and at the same time you need lower trajectory, then DGX100 is the answer, or softstep once at least.

The jump from PX6.0 to 6.5 is noticeable for sure, especially PX has a stiff tip design which will make the feel a bit harsher at impact.

Joe

Thanks Joe!!

i really enjoy reading all your insight! Sorry for the limited info. I do not have a lot of load on the down swing i load it at the top. I have the tendency to get handsy sometimes and get the hooks, but for the most part i am a "swinger" of the club. I'm a +3 index and a pretty solid stiker, but get most of it done from 100 and in. Anyways, I think i'm going to stick with the 6.0s unless any of this jumps out at you as mad. Once again thank you for your time and all your help.

Kent

Callaway Epic SZ  triple diamond 9* AD IZ 6x
Callaway Epic SZ 15* Hzrdus smoke 70 6.5
Srixon u85 3 iron 
Srixon z785 4-p DG TI AMT x100
RTX4 52,56,60 DG s400 TI

Joe,

Joe

Thanks Joe!!

i really enjoy reading all your insight! Sorry for the limited info. I do not have a lot of load on the down swing i load it at the top. I have the tendency to get handsy sometimes and get the hooks, but for the most part i am a "swinger" of the club. I'm a +3 index and a pretty solid stiker, but get most of it done from 100 and in. Anyways, I think i'm going to stick with the 6.0s unless any of this jumps out at you as mad. Once again thank you for your time and all your help.

Kent

At +3 index I hope you're a solid striker!!!!!

• Like 1

Just to throw this out there and add to the confusion.........

Have a player that is a Dynamic Gold X100 guy, probably should be playing them straight in, but always soft steps them 1x to get just a little smoother feel.

He tried Project X 6.5, DISLIKED them with a passion, claims they were the worst feeling shaft he ever touched.......soft stepped them, still DISLIKED them.

Went with Project X 6.0 straight in, better, but didn't care for them feel wise.....to stout and unresponsive. Found dispersion BETTER than X100's though, so he liked that.

Soft stepped the Project X 6.0's 1x and now he is liking them.......tighter dispersion than X100, still not quite as good a feel, but now he can live with it. And he is absolutely NOT overloading them in any way, shape, or form.

Just goes to show, Project X is a different animal all together........beware of who fits you!

X100 guys can get away with hard stepped 5.5's, and soft stepped 6.0's and have tighter dispersion too!

Just to throw this out there and add to the confusion.........

Have a player that is a Dynamic Gold X100 guy, probably should be playing them straight in, but always soft steps them 1x to get just a little smoother feel.

He tried Project X 6.5, DISLIKED them with a passion, claims they were the worst feeling shaft he ever touched.......soft stepped them, still DISLIKED them.

Went with Project X 6.0 straight in, better, but didn't care for them feel wise.....to stout and unresponsive. Found dispersion BETTER than X100's though, so he liked that.

Soft stepped the Project X 6.0's 1x and now he is liking them.......tighter dispersion than X100, still not quite as good a feel, but now he can live with it. And he is absolutely NOT overloading them in any way, shape, or form.

Just goes to show, Project X is a different animal all together........beware of who fits you!

X100 guys can get away with hard stepped 5.5's, and soft stepped 6.0's and have tighter dispersion too!

IMO most likely...He is a swinger , not a hitter!...Plus he is a feel player too, thus he doesn't load the shaft (especially on his down swing). Again PX stiff tip design will make the feel a bit harsher at impact. Under flex to play a PX for this player is almost a must. Common result for PX shaft.

akaone,

5.75-5.8

PX, PX flighted:

Flighted means progessive kick point which deliver a higher ball flight on longer iron. Flighted also play truer on flex specially on longer iron ( progressive due to kick point ).

Great info Jo Jo, and since this is asked about every 3 weeks, we really should pin this for reference.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Aproximately:

DGS300 = 5.8FCM

DGX100 = 6.8FCM

PX5.5 = 6.0FCM

PX6.0 = 6.5FCM

Joe this is what you wrote above. So a hardstepped and then said a 5.5 hardstepped= about 5.8 FCM. So do i have this backwards and hardstepping softens a shaft?

So......a 1x soft stepped X100 would be roughly 6.5, since Project X feels a little stouter / harsher, a 1x soft stepped 6.0 in Project X would be roughly 6.2........might be THE way to go for most people that like a X100 soft stepped to help feel wise when going Project X.

If you like a straight in X100 (6.8), PX 6.0 (6.5) straight in may be the best option.

• 2 weeks later...
a 1x soft stepped 6.0 in Project X would be roughly 6.2.....

I think a 1x soft stepped 6.0 would have to be under 6.0. Probably 5.7-5.8, and a hard stepped 6.0 would be more likely a 6.2

Joe,

How would swingweight affect the frequency? What swingweight are these numbers based?

Your missing the whole concept here, Project X is NOT frequency matched, a 6.0 is not necessarily a 6.0. If you read up on some of Joe's past postings, you're going to see that a Project X 5.5 is closer to 6.0FCM, a 6.0 is closer to 6.5FCM, etc.

Hi I have had custom Satin PX 6.0 in the past in the original Cally X Tours and got rid as they were so stiff/no feel.

I have 3 sets of Satin PX Shafts all 6.0 now again and thanks to frequency measuring gear, which I use, I can now understand why people all have different opinions on these shafts, its due to the MASSIVE variation in flex - usually MUCH stiffer than comparable DG. I have managed to grade and select for a perfect set from my 3 sets now and use PX 6.0 for the same reasons you mention, ie shaft static weight being closer to DG. If you can find soft PX 6.0 go with them...you will not find a better shaft. They work even better with Prosoft Inserts to give them back some feel. Dont bother with the new PX flighted variant they have poor dispersion IMO.

So in summary, I would ask the source of the PX 6.0 shafts to ensure the 3i is frequencing at about 300-304 cpm when fitted with its head, in my case this was at +1/2 in over std. I would therefore buy from a Prof club fitter with plenty of in-hand stock, who would undertake this freq checking to ensure you dont have a costly mistake like I did. Hope this helps.