2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Not letting my pride buy my clubs again!

FiveByEagle

On 8/30/2023 at 1:56 PM, FiveByEagle said:

Hello all! Hope you've had a good week.

So I have decided that I need golf to be more FUN. I currently game around a 12hcp and play 2021 T100's.

Backstory: As a middle schooler I was gifted a hand-me-down set of muscle backs and that shape has just been my preference since day zero.Even when I was a 40hcp, I didnt like the look of a "shovel" at address, and it drove me nuts. So even though they have been out of my skill range, I have always been significantly more comfortable with a compact head. Obvious trade off is obvious. But it was an emotional response,

Fast forward to now - been using the T100's since they dropped and they are great! Love the feel, love the result of a flushed shot. However on a relaxing evening after work, a party round with the boys, or even a blow off some steam round - my ratio of flushed shots to "not-so" flushed shots skews a bit to the right. Whats caused this entire thought is I recently played in a tournament in mid-Ohio, followed directly by a Florida golf trip with family. During these rounds, I was commanding with my woods, wedges and putter. Irons were OK but the thins, or slight toe-jobs would nearly always cause me to get into some serious trouble. And after playing 5 rounds in 5 days the noticeable lack of forgiveness really added up. So many shots I want back forever that really didnt need to be as bad as they ended up. 

Question: Wondering, what should I be considering? An (OK) player who plays often, wants a semi-compact head that is more control based than distance based. I have played the P770's and found them quite hot and explosive and I feel that gapping could become and issue. Pings i230's are on the radar - ZX5's are there, and with Mizuno, I am just not aware of their offerings very much. The i230's compact shape but not so actual compact size was very appealing and it felt a bit more forgiving than the T100.

Love some opinions!!

I started the game with Nancy Lopez blades so I’ve always preferred a thinner look too 

Most recently had Mizuno MP-59 but like you a lot of cause rounds (and not enough practice)

I sought out T100s (2021) which I hit well and maybe more forgiving than the previous Mizuno. 

However, went with Srixon zx7 because of the possibility of added forgiveness. 

ZX7 5-P

ZX5 4 iron (why not hit an easier club)

I can hit any club but why wouldn’t I take the most technology advantage that’s out there for me. 

Wow! Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! After I had the thread moved, it appears that the "Notify" was set off and I had no idea there were so many.

Something I want to clarify! Yes, I do want to put pride aside with many choices in golf clubs, but my preference is a more compact head. So I gravitate in that direction naturally.

Really loving the Srixon suggestions. I am hoping to be able to go back and hit a few more irons this week. Most of the "GI" irons I really just didnt like the feel of. Even on good strikes I felt them in my knuckles and not in a good way. 

So far, ZX5 and ZX7, i525 are added. Mizuno's are as well. However I am a bit lost on their offerings and will just need to see them in person. I have hit the G430's and frankly didn't like them. nor the Paradyms. 

Side note - my pro sho was filming commercials the day I was there, and one day I was watching TV and suddenly theres me smacking a Paradym 7i down the range. Had a good laugh!

• Like 1

Driver - G425 Max w a AltaCB S 55

3 Wood - TSI2 Tensei Blue 65 S

5 Wood - TSi2 Tensei Blue 64 S

Hybrid - Cobra RadSpeed 21º ES Recoil S

Irons - 5-PW Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo Modus105 S

Wedges - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52/10 + Full Face RTX Zipcore 58/9

Putter - Odyssey Versa White Hot One

Bag: Cobra Ultralight Stand

Ball : Titieist ProV1 - Demoing the Callaway Chrome Tour for 2024 

On 9/1/2023 at 5:34 PM, PNW said:

I'd look at that first and consider reshafting because T100 are about as forgiving as it gets for anything 'semi-compact.' ZX7/5, i230, King Tours are all great but not really materially more forgiving. 

Very minor quibble, and this is all individual feel and perception anyway, but I demo'd briefly the new T100, and I didn't find it as forgiving as the i210 with my all-over-the-face miss pattern.  Not as tolerant on the toe miss, IMHO, as the i210. Haven't hit the others, including the i230.

Nice feel though when I did flush it, but I wouldn't characterize the T100 as forgiving at all.  I am very likely a poorer and less discerning ball striker than yourself however.  I also wouldn't call the i210 or 230 semi-compact either, tbf....  If the OP is bound for that shape and wants to try Ping, I'd recommend i59 or Blueprints.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Very minor quibble, and this is all individual feel and perception anyway, but I demo'd briefly the new T100, and I didn't find it as forgiving as the i210 with my all-over-the-face miss pattern.  Not as tolerant on the toe miss, IMHO, as the i210. Haven't hit the others, including the i230.

Nice feel though when I did flush it, but I wouldn't characterize the T100 as forgiving at all.  I am very likely a poorer and less discerning ball striker than yourself however.  I also wouldn't call the i210 or 230 semi-compact either, tbf....  If the OP is bound for that shape and wants to try Ping, I'd recommend i59 or Blueprints.

I would call the T100 and s version extremely forgiving for their size.  

1 hour ago, boyscout said:

I would call the T100 and s version extremely forgiving for their size.  

I honestly do agree.

I just wish that there was almost a 15-20% scaled up version that kept the same feel and acoustics and everything else I love about them. The 200 certainly isn't it, the 350 felt like a cinder block in comparison so frankly, Titleist appears to be out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Yeah these I think would suit him really well. For sure will be the look he wants and the toe mishit forgiveness is quite remarkable.

• Like 1

I always sigh at the end of reading threads like this.  Not because the recommendations aren’t good.  But more because even though you don’t want ego to drive your decision, you are just displacing that by letting us good intentioned, but totally uninformed members help make that decision.  We have no idea what would help a player we’ve never seen play.

So, with that in mind, let me say I’ve been in this same position MANY times.  Every decision I convinced myself would solve the problem, never did.  So, my recommendation would be this:

1 - check the ego at the door and get professional help to solve your biggest miss(es).  A toe strike has a reason behind it.  That is my big miss as well.  I’m working with a coach to help get that resolved for good.

2 - once you do that, get professionally fit.  Try lots of clubs and go in with results your trials gave you.  Don’t leave it up to the pimple faced kid at Dick’s or most of the Club Champion locations.  Find one to really listen to what you want to accomplish, what you like and what has failed in your trials before the fitting.

Finally, you chose the clubs you have for a reason.  You may find a renewed love of them without buying new clubs.  I know this advice will probably get me banned as a non-WRX believer.

In my experience, what I found is that if I want to play competitive golf at my age (69), I needed to play the most forgiving clubs in my weakness area - 160 to 130 yards.  So, I’ve moved to hybrids for that range and now I can play almost any irons I want in the shorter ranges.  Since I really like a smaller head in the scoring irons, I’m playing the PXG 0211ST and experimenting with their 0317 CB irons.  Both, FOR ME, are deadly accurate.

Again, I’m not trying to preach.  I love these discussions.  Maybe they will work for you.  For me, I needed to get well informed, professional help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VladDrag said:

First, go to a PGA superstore or a golf galaxy and ask to hit a few of the new irons. Look at what's on the shelf. Get and idea of what you like the look of. Most of the irons in this category have reviews on youtube. Then, when you get an idea of what you like for irons, go get fit. 

Most brands have a compact/semi-compact iron with some tech that will offer forgiveness.  Different people on here are going to have favorites to them, but all of these irons perform very well. You have to figure out what works for you.

Titleist: T150 and T200

Taylormade: P770 and P790

Ping: /i230/i525  -- maybe even the i59 if you're a decent ball striker

Cobra: King Tour/Forged Tech

Srixon: ZX5

Callaway: Apex Pro/Apex

Mizuno: 223/225/JPX 923 Forged -- I believe they are coming out with replacements for the 223/225

My personal favorites in this category are the T150 and the King Tour. I seen the new Apex Pro in person, but I have not yet hit it. It looks good, and might be up your alley.

This is sound advice and all good options.  

Op- after hitting a lot of these players irons, I’m starting to notice a they fall into two camps.  Clubs that help you maintain front to back dispersion and clubs that help you maintain left right dispersion.  When you think about the forgiveness you seek, is it front to back help, side to side help, or both?

3 hours ago, FiveByEagle said:

Wow! Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! After I had the thread moved, it appears that the "Notify" was set off and I had no idea there were so many.

Something I want to clarify! Yes, I do want to put pride aside with many choices in golf clubs, but my preference is a more compact head. So I gravitate in that direction naturally.

Really loving the Srixon suggestions. I am hoping to be able to go back and hit a few more irons this week. Most of the "GI" irons I really just didnt like the feel of. Even on good strikes I felt them in my knuckles and not in a good way. 

So far, ZX5 and ZX7, i525 are added. Mizuno's are as well. However I am a bit lost on their offerings and will just need to see them in person. I have hit the G430's and frankly didn't like them. nor the Paradyms. 

Side note - my pro sho was filming commercials the day I was there, and one day I was watching TV and suddenly theres me smacking a Paradym 7i down the range. Had a good laugh!

I'd think real hard about your iron shafts. From your comments they don't fit you. They don't fit me at all.

• Like 1

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

On 9/1/2023 at 3:18 PM, taoslcl said:

Im a 12.5 and really feel the PXG (Gen3-6) Ps are as good as anything out there and ridiculously forgiving. I have the gen 3s and sometimes hit shots that don't deserve to get off the ground yet they go within 80-90% of a flushed shot. 

I have Gen3 P through 6-iron and T 7-PW. Excellent setup for me (3hdcp but irons are my weakness).

Srixon ZX5/7, Mizuno 223/225 & Titleist T160/200 are also excellent & very similar to the PXGs. 

On 8/30/2023 at 4:56 PM, FiveByEagle said:

Fast forward to now - been using the T100's since they dropped and they are great! Love the feel, love the result of a flushed shot. However on a relaxing evening after work, a party round with the boys, or even a blow off some steam round - my ratio of flushed shots to "not-so" flushed shots skews a bit to the right. Whats caused this entire thought is I recently played in a tournament in mid-Ohio, followed directly by a Florida golf trip with family. During these rounds, I was commanding with my woods, wedges and putter. Irons were OK but the thins, or slight toe-jobs would nearly always cause me to get into some serious trouble. And after playing 5 rounds in 5 days the noticeable lack of forgiveness really added up. So many shots I want back forever that really didnt need to be as bad as they ended up. 

If your swing was in good shape and your iron misses were consistent in flavor, it's possible you've just fallen into a bad setup habit with your irons. Maybe ball position or standing a bit too far from the ball? It happens. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

• Like 2

Callaway Apex 21's hands down.

Ive went from pxg 0211, to 923 jpx hot metals, to a blended zx5/7 set, to now the apex 21's. Nothing else has been comparable in the distance or left to right dispersion.

Got into golf about a year ago and shoved myself into the GI lines, which while feel easy to hit I was experiencing 25+ yard fliers regularly. Distance is something in my game I don't need help with, dispersion on the other hand yes very much so. The Apex 21's have consistently performed well and I wont be going away from them.

• Haha 1

- Hittin it from the wrong side for lyfe -

TM 9* QI10LS Ventus Blue / Callaway 9* Paradym TD Kai'li White

Callaway 10.5* turned up Rogue ST TD LS TourAD DI 3 wood shaft

TM 16.5* Stealth HL Kai'li White 5 wood length

TM P790 5&6 MMT 125

TM P770 7-PW MMT 125

48*/52* Sub70 286 Milled MMT 125

56*/60* Sub70 JB Full Groove MMT 125

Odyssey Versa 12 DB

Chrome Tour / Bridgestone BX

Just how compact a head does the OP want? There is quite a range so I guess we all define compact our own way. The i1230 and zx5/zx7 are not compact to me, maybe you could say they are on the more compact end of the midsize group. But to me, those are some of the larger player’s irons out there. Cobra King Tour is in the same group IMO although is has more of a squat look so it has a more compact look. Nothing in the Hot Metal line is compact. And if 770 is too hot for the OP, I don’t see how zx5 will be any better. Both are hot-faced irons and there’s no difference in consistency. Both are consistent, but they’re a lot more alike than different. 

Ping i59 and Blueprint are compact, so are Apex and the Apex Pro CB, Wilson Staff Model CB, Cobra King CB, T100. A zx7 or i230 looks a whole lot bigger from address than any of those. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 9/4/2023 at 9:28 PM, JAMH03 said:

Not going to let your pride lead the way again. Yet insists on blades.

I'm thinking you may be selling your pride a bit short.

Please find and quote where I am insisting on blades.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 7:16 PM, dmeeksDC said:

Just how compact a head does the OP want? There is quite a range so I guess we all define compact our own way. The i1230 and zx5/zx7 are not compact to me, maybe you could say they are on the more compact end of the midsize group. But to me, those are some of the larger player’s irons out there. Cobra King Tour is in the same group IMO although is has more of a squat look so it has a more compact look. Nothing in the Hot Metal line is compact. And if 770 is too hot for the OP, I don’t see how zx5 will be any better. Both are hot-faced irons and there’s no difference in consistency. Both are consistent, but they’re a lot more alike than different. 

Ping i59 and Blueprint are compact, so are Apex and the Apex Pro CB, Wilson Staff Model CB, Cobra King CB, T100. A zx7 or i230 looks a whole lot bigger from address than any of those. 

This and thank you for asking to clarify instead of immediately jumping on me. On the smaller side of midsize is what I would be thinking of nowadays. Bigger than the T100, smaller than the T300, and less of a fat caboose.

22 minutes ago, FiveByEagle said:

This and thank you for asking to clarify instead of immediately jumping on me. On the smaller side of midsize is what I would be thinking of nowadays. Bigger than the T100, smaller than the T300, and less of a fat caboose.

That sounds like Cobra King Tours, New Level 902-PD or OS (depending on your blade length preference), maybe Titleist T200, maybe JPX 923 Forged. A few different blade lengths but comparable irons. Of those I would say definitely try the Cobras. They have a nice shape. 

You kind of know it when you see it. I have Maltby TS1-IMs in the bag right now and when I first saw them, definitely saw a slightly longer blade length than I am used to. I am sensitive to that. Faded away to nothing as soon as I played them because I loved them in action. And I paired them with straight forged scoring irons.

So many great clubs and ways to go these days, you can find the look you want. I would not go too much off numbers as the decider. Various models will work so pick the one you feel comfortable with when you’re standing out there with a 5 iron in your hands and you need it to get there or at least get over a hazard just short of the green. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 8/30/2023 at 1:56 PM, FiveByEagle said:

Wondering, what should I be considering?

Simple answer, if you want to be a better ball striker, (stop thinning the ball, etc.) you need lessons and or greater attention to setup and swing details when you're over the ball. 

A 12 index should be able to play T100 Player irons.  But if you're sliding backwards, Game Improvement irons might help not to slide so fast.  LOL  The only suggestion I can offer there is PXG 0211 irons, my 14 handi buddy plays them and likes them.

The errors you talk of are not so much the clubs' fault, as user fault.  Yep, mistakes add up, but I see those same mistakes made by friends that just so happen to play game improvement clubs.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

56 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Simple answer, if you want to be a better ball striker, (stop thinning the ball, etc.) you need lessons and or greater attention to setup and swing details when you're over the ball. 

A 12 index should be able to play T100 Player irons.  But if you're sliding backwards, Game Improvement irons might help not to slide so fast.  LOL  The only suggestion I can offer there is PXG 0211 irons, my 14 handi buddy plays them and likes them.

The errors you talk of are not so much the clubs' fault, as user fault.  Yep, mistakes add up, but I see those same mistakes made by friends that just so happen to play game improvement clubs.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Completely agree - and funny enough, I am not sliding backwards, actually just shot my PB 4 days ago w/ the T100's~ 81.

Totally agree on the its my fault thing - completely do. It is! 

• Like 2

If you're really serious about "checking your ego at the door" and finding some clubs that flat perform, you really should take a look at this year's new line of Maltby clubs on golfworks: https://www.golfworks.com/clubs/heads/?_bc_fsnf=1&Club+Type=Iron

The TS1-IM is their foam-filled hollow body design; the TS-4 is more bladeish; and the TS-3 is their forged players iron with tungsten in the toe that is extremely forgiving on toe strikes if that's your miss.

The nice part of these is you can order just one to try it, and since it has the universal hosel, you can throw in any .370 or .355 tipped shaft you want to try.  Plus, I guarantee that you can get a set of these heads matched up with ANY shafts you want and will save hundreds$$$$ over any OEM company.

Screenshot2023-09-07at10_06_57PM.png.ac9a236f812c289dd68cc631d901f2f4.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

On 9/7/2023 at 6:13 AM, BHI 99 said:

https://www.golfwrx.com/661678/golf-clubs-of-the-top-50-lpga-pros-witb/

Not many.
I think the average golfer would be better off emulating a LPGA bag than the PGA bag.  

A large percentage of the ladies seem to stop at 5 iron. Of course the loft of that 5i is also more the loft of the players distance or GI iron set 6 irons that a ton if folks play. Interesting data.

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

12 hours ago, Jeri6gt said:

Can I vote for u to just keep using ur T100?

Thats where Im at right now too.

Last night, I hit the JPX923 Forged + Tour, ZX5Mk1 and Mk2, i210 (why not), i230, P790 '23, AeroJet, and King Tour.

Nothing performed like my T100's, and my miss was my miss with every single one of those.

/thread.

• Like 2

What!,  !!   Play what you like or you’ll just end up getting them next time.   

My pride is looking at the new ping blueprint T.  Hard to wait for em but I will try.

till then I may get a new shaft installed in my irons.  DgS300 I can’t quit em.  Heavy weight stability is the thing I crave, almost as much as the blueprints I currently crave. 

Edited by 2Down
Oops

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.