2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Scotland 2024 Trip Advice

kegrace66

Longtime Reader,

I want to thank the GolfWRx community for some great advice, photos, reviews, that has helped me plan an unforgettable trip with my father and 2 friends. Wanted to double check my itinerary with this group, as I am still undecided over the different St. Andrew's courses. A little background, this will be my father's first actual golf trip. ( I have done a few in the states: SV, Bandon, Cabot, Whistling). My father is in his mid-sixities, in decent shape and roughly a 18-20 hdcp. Can drive and hit irons, just cannot chip & putt. So we will only be doing 36 holes a few days on the trip, and not trying to discourage him too much from playing really difficult courses. (staying away from Carnoustie this trip). I also have a cost-conscious friend and not trying to break the bank playing Kingsbarn, Trump Intl, etc. We will be renting a car. 

Day 1:

Arrive to Edinburgh airport and drive north

Play Elie Golf Club in the afternoon

Stay in Anstruther at the Waterfront

Day 2

36 Holes at Crail (Both courses)

Drive to St. Andrews and stay 3 nights

Day 3 (Sunday)

Castle Course

Day 4

Have put our name in for the ballot at TOC

Otherwise 27/36 of Eden, New, or Jubillee?

Day 5

Drive to Aberdeen

Play Royal Aberdeen

Stay in Aberdeen

Day 6

Play Cruden Bay

Stay in Aberdeen

Day 7

Find a course to play between Aberdeen/Edinburgh

Stay in Edinburgh before flying home early the next morning

Let me know if I am missing something. So I wouldnt mind a little input on how to save some old knees/legs and different variety of courses to play on Day 4 and Day 7. Thank you all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kegrace66 said:

Longtime Reader,

I want to thank the GolfWRx community for some great advice, photos, reviews, that has helped me plan an unforgettable trip with my father and 2 friends. Wanted to double check my itinerary with this group, as I am still undecided over the different St. Andrew's courses. A little background, this will be my father's first actual golf trip. ( I have done a few in the states: SV, Bandon, Cabot, Whistling). My father is in his mid-sixities, in decent shape and roughly a 18-20 hdcp. Can drive and hit irons, just cannot chip & putt. So we will only be doing 36 holes a few days on the trip, and not trying to discourage him too much from playing really difficult courses. (staying away from Carnoustie this trip). I also have a cost-conscious friend and not trying to break the bank playing Kingsbarn, Trump Intl, etc. We will be renting a car. 

Day 1:

Day 2

Day 3 (Sunday)

Castle Course

Day 4

Day 5

Drive to Aberdeen

Play Royal Aberdeen

Stay in Aberdeen

Day 6

Play Cruden Bay

Stay in Aberdeen

Day 7

Let me know if I am missing something. So I wouldnt mind a little input on how to save some old knees/legs and different variety of courses to play on Day 4 and Day 7. Thank you all.

New and Eden are good for day 4.

A few from left field for day 7....both cheap and cheerful. They certainly fit the somewhat different criteria.

Kinghorn isn't far shy of the Forth Bridge so quite direct to Edinburgh. A very short and somewhat hilly 18 hole course....six par 3s? One of the oldest golfing sites in the world. There are some duds and some cracking holes. 

Musselburgh Old...9 holer just a bit out of the way. The course is mainly inside the race course. It's a bit rough and ready, quite flat, but very cool. I played it a few weeks ago for the first time in 20ish years. It's better than my memory suggested. The 4th is an All Scotland candidate. Can get a drink in the Musselburgh Old Course clubhouse. For those looking to get wild, they can rent hickories to get an idea of what it was like when the Open was played there about 140 years ago. 

BTW, don't forget to play St Olaf while at Cruden Bay. 

Edited by El Gringo

I know you said no Carnousite... but I recommend making Carnoustie the stop between Aberdeen and Edinburgh. It's a great course and has so much great history. Plus I think you're overestimating it's difficulty. It's not going to be materially more difficult than Cruden Bay or Royal Aberdeen, and there are appropriate tees for all level players. Plus Carnoustie is relatively flat so it's not going to wear your group out physically. 

If not Carnoustie then you could look into Lundin, Leven, and Dumbarnie.

Nice great simple trip; if you need more Aberdeen info then I can help. Also St Andrews. 

for day 7, hard one. Carnoustie, Montrose, Blairgowrie. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

On 9/14/2023 at 11:20 AM, kegrace66 said:

Longtime Reader,

Day 1:

Day 2

Day 3 (Sunday)

Castle Course

Day 4

Day 5

Drive to Aberdeen

Play Royal Aberdeen

Stay in Aberdeen

Day 6

Play Cruden Bay

Stay in Aberdeen

Day 7

GREAT itinerary. Fingers crossed you hit the ballot!

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Sounds fine, but Crail Balcomie is more of a walk than you might imagine so just a caution if your dad doesn't walk a lot and regularly - playing 36 will definitely be a good workout just one day in.  So many people underestimate their walking tolerance (especially me!).  I'd play the Balcomie course early morning, head to Anstruther for the best fish and chips anywhere in the world and play 9 at Anstruther that day.  Crail was an incredible course in our opinion - just loved it!  

Everyone has their favorites of the St. Andrews courses - we really enjoyed the New Course and played the day before the Old.  Spent most of the time looking over at the Old, lol, and a similar experience, really enjoyed the course.  If you don't get on the Old, it may be bittersweet to just walk along side it, haha.  If we ever go back, it's Jubilee and/or Castle.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with JDP. Try to fit in Panmure. I've been to Scotland twice and its my favorite (so far) Two pretty straight forward holes to start and then you pass through a grove of trees and walk into golf wonderland. Great history there and an amazing clubhouse.

Also- Carnoustie championship course is getting to be like Muirfield and TOC as far as difficulty to get a foursome scheduled. Easily a year in advance maybe more for both. Muirfield is even trickier because its guests only Tuesdays and thursdays. Kingsbarns was pricey but also a great course. If you play twice in one week the second round is half price. We also liked Dumbarnie which is close to Elie. 

Lundin Links and Leven are in the same general area. Cant go wrong anywhere.

Quick update. Did not get on the ballot for TOC. Will try for the 48 hour, but planning on playing Castle on Sunday, New on Monday, and Jubilee Tuesday AM before heading to Royal Aberdeen for an afternoon round. 

Carnoustie is full because of a senior event, I believe, for our last day. Looking into Panmure instead. Thank you for all your help. 

• Like 2

First, I love that you’re giving Anster the love at the start. As much as I was underwhelmed with their 9 holer, that was due more to all the hype and inflated expectations. It would be a great kickoff course if you got in late, etc. Make sure at least one Fish and Chips at the Fish Bar. 

I defended Castle to all those who screamed at me I was making a mistake playing it. But given your description of dad, I don’t know how enjoyable it will be. I’m a low single digit and don’t know if I could break 85 playing it 5 more times. And it’s a bear of a walk. Would Much rather play Jubilee, New or Eden. Also, probably quite a savings if thst allows you to get a 3 play ticket or something. I also nudged out Crail (based on the price) for another day in St Andrews. 

On the same note, I’d enter the Old Course lottery every single day feasible, including your drive back from Aberdeen. 

As for your last day, I’d love to see you go out on a high note. Would keep the St Andrews courses in the mix for one last round/night if possible. Heck, if you struck out on the Old up to that point, that could be your night to line up. 

No matter what final decisions you make, you’re going to love it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have nearly finalized the trip, got lucky with a tee time at North Berwick so extended the trip by a day to play it. Have a question on car rental, since there are 4 of us, do we divide up into 2 smaller cars, or will an SUV be able to haul all 4 of us, plus luggage/clubs? Struggling to find a good deal on car rental. As for caddies, Im thinking for New Course, Cruden Bay, and maybe Royal Aberdeen.  

Day 1: Arrive in AM to Edinburgh Airport

Elie 3pm

Staying in Anstruther and doing Fish & Chips for dinner

Day 2: Will try for TOC ballot, otherwise:

Anstruther 9-hole

Eden at St Andrews

Staying in St Andrews hitting up Dunvengan, Jigger Inn, 

Day 3: Sunday (so no ballot) Exploring St Andrews university/town

St Andrews New Course 12:56pm

Day 4:

36 Holes at Crail

Hoping Reilly Shellfish Shack is open for dinner

Day 5:

Drive to Aberdeen, stopping off at a few castles along the way

Royal Aberdeen 2pm

Staying in downtown Aberdeen. Prince of Wales or Miller & Carter's for dinner

Day 6 

Cruden Bay at 10:20am

St Olaf in the afternoon

Staying in downtown Aberdeen

Day 7:

Last TOC ballot day

Otherwise Exploring Edinburgh/ Whiskey tasting experience

Staying at Braid Hills Hotel

Day 8

Glen Club@ 9:40am

North Berwick @ 2:50pm

Staying in Haddington. Where in NB should we do dinner after our round?

Day 9:

Fly Home

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kegrace66 said:

Have nearly finalized the trip, got lucky with a tee time at North Berwick so extended the trip by a day to play it. Have a question on car rental, since there are 4 of us, do we divide up into 2 smaller cars, or will an SUV be able to haul all 4 of us, plus luggage/clubs? Struggling to find a good deal on car rental. As for caddies, Im thinking for New Course, Cruden Bay, and maybe Royal Aberdeen.  

Elie 3pm

Anstruther 9-hole

Eden at St Andrews

Day 4:

36 Holes at Crail

Day 5:

Royal Aberdeen 2pm

Day 6 

St Olaf in the afternoon

Day 7:

Last TOC ballot day

Day 8

Day 9:

Fly Home

I just got a GREAT Black Friday deal with Sixt on my rental for Ireland in August. A SUV would be fine for 4 of you as long as it’s not a small one. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

2 hours ago, kegrace66 said:

Elie 3pm

Anstruther 9-hole

Eden at St Andrews

Day 4:

36 Holes at Crail

Day 5:

Royal Aberdeen 2pm

Day 6 

St Olaf in the afternoon

Day 7:

Last TOC ballot day

Day 8

Day 9:

Fly Home

where you staying in Aberdeen?

what kind of food do you like? I have never heard of the prince of wales….

you planning on eating at CB or RAGC?

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

1 hour ago, scott_Donald said:

Staying near the city center, right off of Union St. 

Prince of Wales is a pub next to our place, has good reviews

We are planning to do lunch at both CB and RAGC. 

5 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I just got a GREAT Black Friday deal with Sixt on my rental for Ireland in August. A SUV would be fine for 4 of you as long as it’s not a small one. 

I would also make sure no one has a hard case travel bag.   Even the larger SUV’s or vans are smaller than US models and it will be a tight fit.   With the soft cases they are easier in my opinion to adjust.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

13 hours ago, kegrace66 said:

Elie 3pm

Anstruther 9-hole

Eden at St Andrews

Day 4:

36 Holes at Crail

Day 5:

Royal Aberdeen 2pm

Day 6 

St Olaf in the afternoon

Day 7:

Last TOC ballot day

Day 8

Day 9:

Fly Home

On day 8 instead of eating in NB drive to Gullane to Main for good Italian. If you want more downscale food try the Old Clubhouse…good atmosphere and very popular. Bonnie Badger is also good, but expensive for what it is….many people like it a ton though. The Watchman Hotel is pretty good as well. Good little hotel if you change your mind about Haddington.Gullane isn’t much out of the way to Haddington. Eastern Eye in Haddington is decent Indian if folks are worried about drink and drive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kegrace66 said:

Staying near the city center, right off of Union St. 

Prince of Wales is a pub next to our place, has good reviews

We are planning to do lunch at both CB and RAGC. 

I have driven past it numerous times and never noticed it! trip advisor likes it.

If you need other recommendations then just ask.

Both clubhouses do decent food; I do prefer the RAGC food but again so used to it. Christmas dinner two weeks time there. 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Bin Cruden and play Trump Aberdeen you won't regret it. Much better golf course and I highly recommend the food at Royal Aberdeen it was probably our best lunch of our trip. 

Another option as a filler is Gleneagles on the way back to Edinburgh.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

1 hour ago, thecraw said:

Bin Cruden and play Trump Aberdeen you won't regret it. Much better golf course and I highly recommend the food at Royal Aberdeen it was probably our best lunch of our trip. 

Another option as a filler is Gleneagles on the way back to Edinburgh.

what did you have for lunch? I will tell Maria tomorrow. Christmas dinner there this Tuesday.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

13 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

what did you have for lunch? I will tell Maria tomorrow. Christmas dinner there this Tuesday.

I had a simple club sandwich however it was excellent. My friend also had a great lunch too and he was also in agreement that it was the best food out of the courses we visited. 

Royal Aberdeen is easily in my top 5 in Scotland - the first is a hugely underrated hole, for me easily one of the best opening holes anywhere, hopefully they can stop or slow down the erosion behind the green. The front 9 is an absolutely sensational piece of golf course architecture. The back 9 is also very good despite a lot of people saying its not as good, I still think its a brilliant test of golf. I will also argue that the 17th is a better par 3 than your signature 8th hole! I think the elevation with the enhanced views from the tee make it standout more for me, plus its a tough hole. 18 is also a great finishing hole. 

Royal Aberdeen just ticks so many of my boxes. Love it. 

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

On 11/28/2023 at 9:17 PM, scott_Donald said:

It's been 45 years, but I think the Prince of Wales is the pub opposite M&S on St Nicholas Lane. Known in my time for having the longest bar in Aberdeen.

It must have changed a bit since my day.....

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

11 hours ago, thecraw said:

I had a simple club sandwich however it was excellent. My friend also had a great lunch too and he was also in agreement that it was the best food out of the courses we visited. 

Royal Aberdeen is easily in my top 5 in Scotland - the first is a hugely underrated hole, for me easily one of the best opening holes anywhere, hopefully they can stop or slow down the erosion behind the green. The front 9 is an absolutely sensational piece of golf course architecture. The back 9 is also very good despite a lot of people saying its not as good, I still think its a brilliant test of golf. I will also argue that the 17th is a better par 3 than your signature 8th hole! I think the elevation with the enhanced views from the tee make it standout more for me, plus its a tough hole. 18 is also a great finishing hole. 

Royal Aberdeen just ticks so many of my boxes. Love it. 

well the 3rd and 4th are changing. Blame the storm last month.

IMG_2994.jpeg.14dd02d635ac680fd20fa3f24c4b9ff6.jpegIMG_2995.jpeg.1a94fb5a7010f6c6782c6b9675fe2f6d.jpegIMG_2996.jpeg.9fc651cb8339b24d931427ec531d3d9a.jpegIMG_2997.jpeg.21277204416e62c5a29a3aeb3f6ff334.jpegIMG_2998.jpeg.dbb94b97bf91e1e6b3f5b27b2117b800.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400