2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Recentering and?

mizunotpz

So seen videos from AMG golf and how they make a big thing out of the recentering move. They have it all measured in GEARS so not doubting it. Just a reflection. When I look at Rory (could be any good swing) I see how he moves off the ball in the first move back but then Im not sure I actually see a recentering but more of an extension of his upper body as his club approaching the top of the swing, is that the recentering move? Cause when he starts the downswing he moves laterally as well into the ball but that cant be the recentering, cause the recentering is supposed to happen almost before p3 according to AMG. Am I missing something here, or confuses different moves?

Rory starts to move left around 3.8-3.9.  Before the end of the backswing.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

The recentering is the belt buckle coming back to the center of his stance and the left hip come back past the center of the stance, essentially returning the hips to where they were at set up. Now, that doesn't not mean he is actively turning his hips in the downswing. For most athletic people it is a natural movement from starting the arms down in the downswing. However, some players may need instruction like a hip bump, a sitting move, or a pressure shift to get that recentering to occur. Some of the movement off the ball in the backswing could be pelvic sway or hip slide, but most of it is tilt and some rotation of the hips.

If you are thinking about manufacturing this recentering move yourself, film yourself and make sure you aren't already recentering. Adding extra movement will only create problems.

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

23 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Rory starts to move left around 3.8-3.9.  Before the end of the backswing.

Yes, maybe my badly composed post got a little confusing. Sorry about that. Do you see the recentering in every good players swing on camera or can it only be measured properly in gears? I mean to me it looks like different pros have have different amount of lateral movement during the swing?

15 minutes ago, slytown said:

The recentering is the belt buckle coming back to the center of his stance and the left hip come back past the center of the stance, essentially returning the hips to where they were at set up. Now, that doesn't not mean he is actively turning his hips in the downswing. For most athletic people it is a natural movement from starting the arms down in the downswing. However, some players may need instruction like a hip bump, a sitting move, or a pressure shift to get that recentering to occur. Some of the movement off the ball in the backswing could be pelvic sway or hip slide, but most of it is tilt and some rotation of the hips.

If you are thinking about manufacturing this recentering move yourself, film yourself and make sure you aren't already recentering. Adding extra movement will only create problems.

So if I hit the ball well and shift pressure into my right side in the backswing Im probably already recentering without being aware of it. Im not a fliprelease guy or hanging back or hitting fats. Shaft lean at impact.

22 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

So if I hit the ball well and shift pressure into my right side in the backswing Im probably already recentering without being aware of it. Im not a fliprelease guy or hanging back or hitting fats. Shaft lean at impact.

Yes, probably. We would have to see video.

26 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

Yes, maybe my badly composed post got a little confusing. Sorry about that. Do you see the recentering in every good players swing on camera or can it only be measured properly in gears? I mean to me it looks like different pros have have different amount of lateral movement during the swing?

All elite players recenter before they start the downswing. Its just every player has a different measure of it and a different feeling for it. For example, Rory says he feels like he sits in transition and then starts his downswing. He produces extra power from his legs flexing and then extending a lot. However, some players if they tried to sit in transition would get stuck or have some other issue occur.

Edited by slytown
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, slytown said:

Yes, probably. We would have to see video.

All elite players recenter before they start the downswing. Its just every player has a different measure of it and a different feeling for it. For example, Rory says he feels like he sits in transition and then starts his downswing. He produces extra power from his legs flexing and then extending a lot. However, some players if they tried to sit in transition would get stuck or have some other issue occur.

Yes good explanation! Rorys squat is a good visual of understanding this, as Monte also illustrated with the video!

But I guess at 54 Im not gonna try squatting like Rory lol, but sequence is really important in the swing! Having the pressure right!

10 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

Yes good explanation! Rorys squat is a good visual of understanding this, as Monte also illustrated with the video!

But I guess at 54 Im not gonna try squatting like Rory lol, but sequence is really important in the swing! Having the pressure right!

You could try it if you aren't recentering at all. I never had success trying to squat or sit in transition. It was too hard to time and I felt like I had to go really low. If instead I tried to move my whole body towards the target, I did a massive hip slide. For me, if I attempt to just separate my legs and keep my upper body back on my trail side (Monte did a drill of dropping a range basket that helped), my hips recenter automatically and I can start the downswing with very little effort.

10 hours ago, slytown said:

You could try it if you aren't recentering at all. I never had success trying to squat or sit in transition. It was too hard to time and I felt like I had to go really low. If instead I tried to move my whole body towards the target, I did a massive hip slide. For me, if I attempt to just separate my legs and keep my upper body back on my trail side (Monte did a drill of dropping a range basket that helped), my hips recenter automatically and I can start the downswing with very little effort.

Excellent! AMG golf did a video on the squat as well, saying the idea of sitting down and increasing distance between the knees is not an athletic movement or something the pros do! Thanks a lot! Very good insights! Appreciate it!

Edited by mizunotpz
Added info

15 hours ago, slytown said:

It's not a squat or sit move.

It's pressure being left and then the trail knee regaining flexion and NOT collapsing toward the target, while the lead side opens up and then pushes up.

It all happens a lot earlier than most think...

• Like 3

The secret to compressing the ball is to have the sacrum ( bottom of the spine ) move slightly towards the target towards the end of the backswing . This movement will be larger with wider stances ( driver ) than with narrower stances ( irons).

”Recentering “ has always been visible on video . Just watch any of the YouTube videos of famous golfers with grids in the background . 
“ Recentering “is separate from the transition since it is part of the backswing .

The problem is the misinterpretation of when this “ recentering “ move happens . 
Some think that  the “recentering ” move starts as early as first parallel , because it appears that way on 3d devices . But invariably this leads to moving the lead hip laterally too early and too much , resulting in an incorrect distribution of weight at the end of the backswing .This is shown in the first video below. 
An interesting view from the back showing the more subtle and later “recentering “ move  is on 

the next post 

Edited by golfarb1

People make a big deal out of re-centering, I don't get all the fuss but I also don't teach 15 handicaps all day. It's just like throwing a baseball, the pressure shifts left towards the top before you swing down. Just like throwing a ball. 

Rory is on golf pass saying his issue can be getting to his left side too early, he likes to feel a delay at the top to prevent this. I can try to find the video if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

The secret to compressing the ball is to have the sacrum ( bottom of the spine ) move slightly towards the target towards the end of the backswing . This movement will be larger with wider stances ( driver ) than with narrower stances ( irons).

”Recentering “ has always been visible on video . Just watch any of the YouTube videos of famous golfers with grids in the background . 
“ Recentering “is separate from the transition since it is part of the backswing .

The problem is the misinterpretation of when this “ recentering “ move happens . 
Some think that  the “recentering ” move starts as early as first parallel , because it appears that way on 3d devices . But invariably this leads to moving the lead hip laterally too early and too much , resulting in an incorrect distribution of weight at the end of the backswing .This is shown in the first video below. 
An interesting view from the back showing the more subtle and later “recentering “ move  is on 

the next post 

RPReplay_Final1695668190.mov 26.55 MB · 1 download

Too early isn't an issue. 

Too late is more of an issue. 

Both have to be matched up with proper lateral dynamics.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

People make a big deal out of re-centering, I don't get all the fuss but I also don't teach 15 handicaps all day. It's just like throwing a baseball, the pressure shifts left towards the top before you swing down. Just like throwing a ball. 

Rory is on golf pass saying his issue can be getting to his left side too early, he likes to feel a delay at the top to prevent this. I can try to find the video if anyone is interested.

I could see why too early would be an issue for him. If he's early and still moves as hard/much laterally as he does then big problem. If he's early and doesn't move laterally then his path could shift left and end up with a big pull. 

• Like 1

It's certainly not as easy as being described here.  A lot more to it than just shifting weight pressure at a certain point in the swing.

No doubt the biggest difference between normal joes and the pros is the transition piece and how they use the ground.  We can all understand the concept, but applying it, how the pro's do it is a totally different thing. 

No one here is doing anything like Rory or any other PGA player is doing with their re-centering transition move.  Not even close.  Obviously with the exception of Monte.  That's why I think Monte and Padraig content is the most useful.      

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

It's certainly not as easy as being described here.  A lot more to it than just shifting weight pressure at a certain point in the swing.

No doubt the biggest difference between normal joes and the pros is the transition piece and how they use the ground.  We can all understand the concept, but applying it, how the pro's do it is a totally different thing. 

No one here is doing anything like Rory or any other PGA player is doing with their re-centering transition move.  Not even close.  Obviously with the exception of Monte.  That's why I think Monte and Padraig content is the most useful.      

1 hour ago, wagolfer7 said:

It's also not that difficult to understand. Watch grf golf on YouTube. They really explain it well. 

Then just go to the range and try to exaggerate things while recording your swing. 

The pros all shift differently. Watch dechambeau and Fitzpatrick and then watch morikawa and mcilroy. Then watch shauffele.

No one way to do it...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

It's also not that difficult to understand. Watch grf golf on YouTube. They really explain it well. 

Then just go to the range and try to exaggerate things while recording your swing. 

The pros all shift differently. Watch dechambeau and Fitzpatrick and then watch morikawa and mcilroy. Then watch shauffele.

No one way to do it...

I understand the concept fine.  As I'm sure most do.  Applying it and actually doing it are not that easy.  

There is no one in this thread except for Monte that actually do what you are seeing PGA players do.  We can all act like we know what they are doing, but if you can't do it yourself, how well do you actually know it?  

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

I understand the concept fine.  As I'm sure most do.  Applying it and actually doing it are not that easy.  

There is no one in this thread except for Monte that actually do what you are seeing PGA players do.  We can all act like we know what they are doing, but if you can't do it yourself, how well do you actually know it?  

What, weight shift? Not that hard imo. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

What, weight shift? Not that hard imo. 

Getting your weight shift / pressure shift from trail to lead side is simple.  But that's only a piece of it.  And the rest of it never really gets discussed.  

We could all get on pressure mats and compare ourselves to PGA players and it wouldn't be very close.  

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Too early isn't an issue. 

Too late is more of an issue. 

Both have to be matched up with proper lateral dynamics.

Mr Hogan moved left very late in the backswing . And his “ recentering” move , which was obvious in 2d video is not large . 

Edited by golfarb1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mizunotpz said:

So seen videos from AMG golf and how they make a big thing out of the recentering move. They have it all measured in GEARS so not doubting it. Just a reflection. When I look at Rory (could be any good swing) I see how he moves off the ball in the first move back but then Im not sure I actually see a recentering but more of an extension of his upper body as his club approaching the top of the swing, is that the recentering move? Cause when he starts the downswing he moves laterally as well into the ball but that cant be the recentering, cause the recentering is supposed to happen almost before p3 according to AMG. Am I missing something here, or confuses different moves?

If you don’t already know, figure out if your a back, front or center BS shift….Search Mike Adams…….This will clue you in to how much recentering to do in BS.  Whatever you are you will post left in the DS.

JNIK

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

Mr Hogan moved left very late in the backswing . And his “ recentering” move , which was obvious in 2d video is not large . 

RPReplay_Final1695679394.mov 2.91 MB · 0 downloads

You didn't get the gist of my post or you wouldn't have used Ben hogan. You would have used Jim Huggan.

8 minutes ago, Jeselnik said:

If you don’t already know, figure out if your a back, front or center BS shift….Search Mike Adams…….This will clue you in to how much recentering to do in BS.  Whatever you are you will post left in the DS.

JNIK

I'll only counter your post with

Change "how much recentering" with "how soon you recenter".

4 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I'll only counter your post with

Change "how much recentering" with "how soon you recenter".

Oh geez, now I have to think instead of deferring to Mike.  I’m not sure either idea is the best answer.  I like when better than how much.  How about where recentering?  That will mesh better with Mike Adams.

JNIK

Just now, Jeselnik said:

Oh geez, now I have to think instead of deferring to Mike.  I’m not sure either idea is the best answer.  I like when better than how much.  How about where recentering?  That will mesh better with Mike Adams.

JNIK

Lol. They both apply and are both equally true I guess.