2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Has anyone had PayPal deny an obvious claim/scam???

AzSuperHack76

Well it just happened to me. 

Long story short I posted a WTB ad for the first time, on another golf forum, THP. I was looking for a ping tour 2.0 3 wood shaft. I had a buyer reach out and decided to take a chance. No red flags until after I sent the PayPal. I got a PayPal message from someone saying that they didn’t know why they had received money from me and they were going to refund. 

I clearly was duped, filed a claim immediately, but here’s the kicker, I did it through the app instead of calling. Well, just found out it was denied, even though it’s clearly a scam. 

I know it will be rectified when I call tomorrow but what a pain in the butt. 

Moral of the story, don’t file a claim via the app, call the customer service number. 

Below are the copy of the screen shots. 

IMG_9054.png

IMG_9092.jpeg

IMG_9056.png

IMG_9057.png

IMG_9051.png

IMG_9052.png

IMG_9053.png

Edited by AzSuperHack76

• AzSuperHack76 changed the title to Has anyone had PayPal deny an obvious claim/scam???
On 10/13/2023 at 9:29 AM, hlca said:

Did they send you a refund?  How long since they said they would?

Just got off the phone with PayPal a few minutes ago, took forever to get a call back through their automated system. Spoke with the rep, they reopened the case and sided with me within minutes. Just got the refund email, should take 5 days for return of funds. 

The guy I dealt with at THP was listed as a new member but he had positive feedback. Initial conversation was completely normal. Then clearly it went sideways. Goods and services for the win.

Only reason I posted this was to let people know to save yourself the hassle and file a claim through the phone system and not the app. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, endy said:

Almost seems this "Mario" is in on it, how did he know what you were trying to buy? I don't see it in the description unless it is hidden. Also, his last statement "I'm getting fed up with people doing this to my accounts" seems like a red flag to me also 

Yeah, in the PayPal payment note I had the description clearly described.

Scammy all around for sure….

What’s funny is the reason I bought the shaft from you was because I got screwed over! Yours is out for delivery today! Thanks again @endy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Yeah, in the PayPal payment note I had the description clearly described.

Scammy all around for sure….

What’s funny is the reason I bought the shaft from you was because I got screwed over! Yours is out for delivery today! Thanks again @endy

Great to hear all was resolved for you, and great to hear the shaft is out for delivery! Hope it works out well !!

Edited by endy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ummmm..what's the scam exactly? He gave you a PayPal goods and services account to put the transaction through. That's something scammers never do as it's designed to protect buyers and sellers from being scammed. Look what happened? You got your money back no problem. Not a very good scam. I think the guy was telling you the truth. lol. It also explains his good seller rating/reviews.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ivanho75 said:

Ummmm..what's the scam exactly? He gave you a PayPal goods and services account to put the transaction through. That's something scammers never do as it's designed to protect buyers and sellers from being scammed. Look what happened? You got your money back no problem. Not a very good scam. I think the guy was telling you the truth. lol. It also explains his good seller rating/reviews.

Very interesting first post...................................................................Especially when this is already a month old thread that has been resolved. Very interesting indeed.

Edited by I'_rather_be_golfing
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ivanho75 said:

Sounds like something a scammer would say.

• Like 4

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 10/19/2023 at 4:47 PM, Pudgelewis said:

I'm not sure how that scam would work if he's using someone else's paypal he's not involved with to get him the $. 

They then contact that person via email or etc immediately after the payment was sent and tell them it was a mistake or etc and to wire it back to them at a different account creating multiple jumps for the money. Scammers also coordinate transfers between unknowing people all the time hence why you see the different names and etc. Ive seen it happen with as little as $30 to $1000+. Once the person who was scammed is out of the way, they can play the woe is me card of 'sorry I sent this to the wrong person' and the initial receiver will refund it back to them.

• Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

15 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

They then contact that person via email or etc immediately after the payment was sent and tell them it was a mistake or etc and to wire it back to them at a different account creating multiple jumps for the money. Scammers also coordinate transfers between unknowing people all the time hence why you see the different names and etc. Ive seen it happen with as little as $30 to $1000+. Once the person who was scammed is out of the way, they can play the woe is me card of 'sorry I sent this to the wrong person' and the initial receiver will refund it back to them.

I get that, but I meant that's no way for the scammer to get money from the OP if the owner of the PP account he sent it to isn't in fact associated with the seller/scammer. Worst case scenario is the real PP owner is a turd and keeps the money rather than sending it back, but even then, if it were sent G&S I'm sure he'd get it back.

10 hours ago, Ivanho75 said:

Kelvin/Mario.... Is that you??? 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Anser3 said:

The "seller" might be trying to get people to send money friends and family and then pocket the money.  If somebody files a dispute , the name difference between  paypal and the seller  (Mario, ken, etc)  gives them an out for plausible deniability.  

But he specifically asked for goods and services. This one has me confused 

• 1 month later...

Probably is his account. Leads with good/services to push some trust in you, then offers the refund in hopes that you'll then go ahead and send via Venmo and never see your money again. Or he leads with the Venmo business account BS, and you'll get a fake email from Venmo wanting you to log in and they steal your Venmo info. Anytime someone mentions Venmo for an online purchase I just stop communication.