2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

June 2024 Scotland Schedule - Have room for a couple more rounds

Olson12

So I took the reigns and planned my first ever trip to Scotland with the help of this forum.  The worst part about planning this trip is realizing I now have to wait 8 months until the trip.  We've scheduled 1 round on most of the days so have room to add another round in the afternoon based on the suggestions here.  

We'll be flying into Edinburgh and renting a van. Starting in Ayrshire and ending in St. Andrews 11 days total.  Let me know your thoughts.  

Friday June 14th - @ 3:20 Gullane #1
Saturday June 15th TBD
Sunday June 16th @ 11:48am Prestwick Golf
Monday June 17th @ 7:06am Turnberry Resort - King Robert the Bruce Course
Monday June 17th @ 1:28pm Turnberry Golf - Ailisa Cource 
Tuesday June 18th Morning Round? TBD
Tuesday June 18th @ 2:10pm Western Gailes
Wednesday June 19th @ 7:50am Kingsbarn
Thursday June 20th @ 8:32am Eden (Camping out for Old Course in the AM)
Friday June 21st @ 7:52 am Jubilee
Saturday June 22nd @ 8:40 am Castle
Sunday June 23rd Travel
Edited by Olson12
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

I'm planning a trip for 2025 to the Prestwick area.

Have you considered Barassie or Dundonal for your two free slots?

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

24 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I'm planning a trip for 2025 to the Prestwick area.

Have you considered Barassie or Dundonal for your two free slots?

The most recent reviews of Dundonal kept it of my list.  Especially for the price and about it not being a traditional Links course. 

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Cant recommend North Berwick enough if you’re near Edinburgh.  Returned from a trip in October (played Turnberry and others as well) and NB was in my top 2.

Driver: 10* Titleist TSi3 w/Ventus Black 6

3-Wood: 15* Titleist TSi2 w/Ventus Blue 8

5-Wood: 18* Titleist TSi2 w/Ventus Blue 8

Hybrid: 21* Titleist 818H2 w/Graphite Design HY-95

Irons (3-P): Titleist 2021 T100 w/KBS Tour

Wedges (50*, 54*, 60*): Vokey WedgeWorks SM8 w/KBS Tour

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 9.5 Triple Black

**14-club set-up course/conditions dependent

1 hour ago, swo83 said:

Cant recommend North Berwick enough if you’re near Edinburgh.  Returned from a trip in October (played Turnberry and others as well) and NB was in my top 2.

Maybe we can play that the day we land.  Depending on how we feel

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

7 hours ago, Olson12 said:

So I took the reigns and planned my first ever trip to Scotland with the help of this forum.  The worst part about planning this trip is realizing I now have to wait 8 months until the trip.  We've scheduled 1 round on most of the days so have room to add another round in the afternoon based on the suggestions here.  

We'll be flying into Edinburgh and renting a van. Starting in Ayrshire and ending in St. Andrews 11 days total.  Let me know your thoughts.  

Friday June 14th - (depends on arrivals/Travel) Travel
Saturday June 15th TBD
Sunday June 16th @ 11:48am Prestwick Golf
Monday June 17th @ 7:06am Turnberry Resort - King Robert the Bruce Course
Monday June 17th @ 1:28pm Turnberry Golf - Ailisa Cource 
Tuesday June 18th Morning Round? TBD
Tuesday June 18th @ 2:10pm Western Gailes
Wednesday June 19th @ 7:50am Kingsbarn
Thursday June 20th @ 8:32am Eden (Camping out for Old Course in the AM)
Friday June 21st @ 7:52 am Jubilee
Saturday June 22nd @ 8:40 am Castle
Sunday June 23rd Travel

Great trip!

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

5 hours ago, Olson12 said:

The most recent reviews of Dundonal kept it off my list.  Especially for the price and about it not being a traditional Links course. 

Troon is great, but West Kilbride, Glasgow Gailes, and Irvine are very good options as well.

• Like 1

If I look at your itinerary correctly then you would want to be in the Ayrshire area.   Agree with Hammer as Troon would be a great option but not sure times are still available.   What was the bad review of Dundonald?  It looked pretty good for the women’s Scottish Open.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Troon is great, but West Kilbride, Glasgow Gailes, and Irvine are very good options as well.

55 minutes ago, buckI said:

If I look at your itinerary correctly then you would want to be in the Ayrshire area.   Agree with Hammer as Troon would be a great option but not sure times are still available.   What was the bad review of Dundonald?  It looked pretty good for the women’s Scottish Open.

indeed we are too close to the open.  Last day of public play is June 13th so we had to drop it.  Carnoustie was also fully booked the week we were there. 

the review that took it off the list was someone on this forum said it felt very American and felt like a course you could find easily in the US. 

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

1 minute ago, Olson12 said:

indeed we are too close to the open.  Last day of public play is June 13th so we had to drop it.  Carnoustie was also fully booked the week we were there. 

the review that took it off the list was someone on this forum said it felt very American and felt like a course you could find easily in the US. 

Are you flying into Glasgow or Edinburgh?

If you have any flexibility with Western Gaines and could move that to Saturday that inmy opinion gives you more options.   You could play New, Crail Elie , drive near Carnoustie and hit Panmure or Montrose.   Just a thought.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

8 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

Edinburgh.

is it realistic to try and play the same day after traveling from the US? 

Yes, especially if you are staying in East Lothian. Musselburgh Old or Gullane 3 could be good options the day you land. Just have to find an East Lothian Saturday game to make it worthwhile. Gullane may take Saturday visitors. 

35 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

Edinburgh.

is it realistic to try and play the same day after traveling from the US? 

Yes, in fact I highly recommend it. By playing a round the day you drive it will help you beat jet lag the first day. Land in the morning, go to the course, play a round. Then have a nice dinner and you’ll be ready for bed at 9 or 10pm. You’ll sleep like a baby and wake up the next morning already adjusted to the time change. There’s also some good options on the way driving over to Ayrshire.

Edited by hammergolf

3 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Yes, in fact I highly recommend it. By playing a round the day you drive it will help you beat jet lag the first day. Land in the morning, go to the course, play a round. Then have a nice dinner and you’ll be ready for bed at 9 or 10pm. You’ll sleep like a baby and wake up the next morning already adjusted to the time change. There’s also some good options on the way driving over to Ayrshire.

This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for!  Am I doing too much if I want to sneak in a drive to Dunbar?  Or should we just stick to something on the way? 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

32 minutes ago, buckI said:

If you have any flexibility with Western Gaines and could move that to Saturday that inmy opinion gives you more options.   You could play New, Crail Elie , drive near Carnoustie and hit Panmure or Montrose.   Just a thought.

Tuesday is the only day we can get on at Western Gailes.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

10 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for!  Am I doing too much if I want to sneak in a drive to Dunbar?  Or should we just stick to something on the way? 

Where do you plan on staying Saturday night when you are arrive? If you’re planning on staying in Ayrshire it will add 40 mins on your drive to Ayrshire if you played Dunbar, so not that bad. Or you could stay in Edinburgh or Glasgow for the night to cut the drive in half. Then make the 1hr drive to Prestwick Sunday morning. 

Edited by hammergolf

1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

Where do you plan on staying Saturday night when you are arrive? If you’re planning on staying in Ayrshire it will add 40 mins on your drive to Ayrshire if you played Dunbar, so not that bad. Or you could stay in Edinburgh or Glasgow for the night to cut the drive in half. Then make the 1hr drive to Prestwick Sunday morning. 

Our Airbnb is in Ayr.  So we would complete the drive that night.  But I’m open to moving dates and staying in the Edinburg area for Friday night to play Dunbar Friday and another course in the area Saturday. 

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

1 minute ago, Olson12 said:

Our Airbnb is in Ayr.  So we would complete the drive that night.  But I’m open to moving dates and staying in the Edinburg area for Friday night to play Dunbar Friday and another course in the area Saturday. 

You’ll be pretty tired after the red eye flight and playing a round of golf. If it was me I would either stay in Gullane or Edinburgh. Get a good nights rest, then drive over to Prestwick the following morning. However, if you can’t adjust your dates, It won’t be a killer drive to Ayr from Dunbar, it’s about 2hrs so doable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

really I am open to staying wherever we’re gonna get good golf in.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

3 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

really I am open to staying wherever we’re gonna get good golf in.

What time does your flight arrive? If it gets in early then I would play late morning then drive to Ayr. You’ll hit the proverbial wall around 5-6PM so if you can to Ayr before that you’ll be good. Get you a nice meal, then sleep in since your tee time on Sunday is around noon. It’s mostly motorway on the drive to Ayr from EDI. Ayr is a great base. It tends to be a little cheaper there than Prestwick or Troon. Definitely give yourself an extra 30 mins or so to look at all the history in the clubhouse at Prestwick. 

22 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

What time does your flight arrive? If it gets in early then I would play late morning then drive to Ayr. You’ll hit the proverbial wall around 5-6PM so if you can to Ayr before that you’ll be good. Get you a nice meal, then sleep in since your tee time on Sunday is around noon. It’s mostly motorway on the drive to Ayr from EDI. Ayr is a great base. It tends to be a little cheaper there than Prestwick or Troon. Definitely give yourself an extra 30 mins or so to look at all the history in the clubhouse at Prestwick. 

No flights booked yet.  Have a google alert setup to keep track of prices as we get closer.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Dundonald was ok for our group. Great "experience" but the golf was the most American style of the trip. Glasgow Gailes is a great first round 18 or 36 as it isn't super long, an easy walk, but gets you into that links style of play. On your first leg, only the Turnberry part is any distance away at all.  For food, try Wildings near Turnberry. We stayed at the South Beach Hotel in Troon and found that they packaged all these west coast courses with rooms and were significantly cheaper than booking with any website tour companies. Also, I would have never said this before my trip, but after not getting my clubs until the day we flew out, I'd 100% pay up for ship sticks if your whole group wants to guarantee they have their own clubs. The courses all have nice rentals, but it is nice having your own items. Pack what you need including golf shoes, glove, balls and waterproofs in your carry on so if you have a mishap, you can still play.

Edited by cardia10
  • Like 1

When in Fife definitely try to play at Crail. The Balcomie course being the old one and its great. Great history. Great clubhouse. Its just down the road from Kingsbarns so real close to St. A..

I'd swap out Eden for Crail if it was me buts thats personal preference.

Also in the area 1/2 hours or less are Lundin, Elie and Leven...loved Lundin GC. Dumbarnie's in the mix too. Cant go wrong anywhere really. Enjoy your trip.

13 hours ago, Olson12 said:

No flights booked yet.  Have a google alert setup to keep track of prices as we get closer.  

A good plan would be if EDI is the cheaper flight to play Dunbar the day you arrive. If Glasgow is the better option, then play Irvine, Glasgow Gailes, or Kilmarnock. Only thing I would highly advise is to avoid British Airways or connecting through Heathrow at any cost. It’s a toss up at best if your clubs arrive when you land in Scotland. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

A good plan would be if EDI is the cheaper flight to play Dunbar the day you arrive. If Glasgow is the better option, then play Irvine, Glasgow Gailes, or Kilmarnock. Only thing I would highly advise is to avoid British Airways or connecting through Heathrow at any cost. It’s a toss up at best if your clubs arrive when you land in Scotland. 

Flying Delta or United so it goes from Az --> NY/NJ --> EDI

Avoiding all flights (although cheaper) that go through Heathrow.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

2 hours ago, cardia10 said:

Dundonald was ok for our group. Great "experience" but the golf was the most American style of the trip. Glasgow Gailes is a great first round 18 or 36 as it isn't super long, an easy walk, but gets you into that links style of play. On your first leg, only the Turnberry part is any distance away at all.  For food, try Wildings near Turnberry. We stayed at the South Beach Hotel in Troon and found that they packaged all these west coast courses with rooms and were significantly cheaper than booking with any website tour companies. Also, I would have never said this before my trip, but after not getting my clubs until the day we flew out, I'd 100% pay up for ship sticks if your whole group wants to guarantee they have their own clubs. The courses all have nice rentals, but it is nice having your own items. Pack what you need including golf shoes, glove, balls and waterproofs in your carry on so if you have a mishap, you can still play.

Did you fly through Heathrow?

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

13 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

Flying Delta or United so it goes from Az --> NY/NJ --> EDI

Avoiding all flights (although cheaper) that go through Heathrow.  

Very good plan. Another option that might be cheaper is to connect through Chicago. 

12 minutes ago, Olson12 said:

Did you fly through Heathrow?

No, I fly direct out of Chicago most of the time unless I find a really good deal out of JFK or EWR. If I have golf clubs I avoid any connection through London. 

Edited by hammergolf