2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Lessons: Online or In Person

Duffer Mark

The wife gave me money for lessons for Christmas. Would you recommend online lessons or in person lessons? 

One potential drawback of in person lessons is not knowing who to choose. Of course, there are lots of online options too. 

I know that Monty guy (😬) still has a lesson pack on sale right now. 

Which direction would you go?

Edit: I decided to add a few more details since I have time and they will shed some light on my situation. So, 20+ years ago I was ~10 handicap and today I sit at 18. My lowest ever score is 77 with dozens of rounds between 81 - 85. I had years of layoff where I didn't practice and only played once per year on average. A little over 2 years ago I just updated my TaylorMade LCG irons that I bought new when they came out. Anyway, I know way more about the golf swing today but my scoring is terrible. I also wanted to learn to use my body more in the swing because I was taught to keep my legs bent in place and only think about turning my shoulders back and through. 

Right now, my practice sessions are good and my typical ball striking during warm-up before a round is pretty good. Then, I lose my head on the course. Last year, I had a discount Skillest code which I used for Dan C. He gave me a drill (that I need to work on more). I found his online lesson with analysis much better than the previous lessons I had at PGA Super Store. I mostly know my default swing flaws. 

Recent experience leads me to lean toward online or live Zoom lessons. How's that for TMI?

Edited by Duffer Mark
Add details.

Depends. Have done both. The quality of the coach matters. In person from an instructor that doesn't match you isn't great. 

I recently started doing online with someone with a philosophy I wanted (Mike Adams and Terry Rowles). I wouldn't hesitate to take lessons from Monte either. He is top notch. 

Edited by Jtgavigan
Crappy wording

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Personally, I think in person lessons. They’re able to put you in some positions or help you get the exact feel/motion of the drill etc.  additionally unless you have  a good recording it might be difficult.  YMMV though depending on location and level of player you are.  For me it’s in person.  

If you’re in an area with quality instructors available and you need more hands on instruction to grasp certain movements then in-person is ideal. Online your best bet is either Monte or going on Skillest looking through reviews and sample lessons to find the best fit, benefit of online is you can go back and rewatch videos to ensure you’re doing things properly.

3 hours ago, byoung14 said:

If you’re in an area with quality instructors available and you need more hands on instruction to grasp certain movements then in-person is ideal. Online your best bet is either Monte or going on Skillest looking through reviews and sample lessons to find the best fit, benefit of online is you can go back and rewatch videos to ensure you’re doing things properly.

in person good instructors will make a little summary video of before and after to send you with drills. 

• Like 1

It’s not as simple as that.

At first glance there’s no question in person is better than an online video analysis.

However, you’re going to learn more from an online lesson from a guy like Dan C or AMG than a local bozo.

Face time with the guy of your choice is the best avenue if he’s not local.

• Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

6 hours ago, Duffer Mark said:

Updated with more details - in case that makes a difference on the suggestions.

Per your edit, and this is just my experience.....

I have been struggling with a big miss left for a long time. I also have taken 6 months to 2 years off several times in the last 10 years. Back in 2020 or 2021, I took some lessons from a young pro near me. He pointed out some flaws and I worked with him for a while. I improved some, but still would get that big miss like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Then, he got busy and neither I nor several friends I sent to him would get a text back when trying to set up another lesson. 

I then ended up going to a guy who comes down here for the winter. Again, he caught a few things, but man, he overloaded me during the lesson. So much that I stopped him and told him he was going to have to give me one or two things to work on and a plan of progression. I couldn't try to correct 5 or 6 things at once. I was playing pretty poorly just before I stopped playing a year and a half ago and just a few months after working with him. My big miss was still there too often.

This year, during yet another comeback after a layoff, I stumbled upon some content from Mike Adams and Terry Rowles on here. I did some of there biomechanics tests and saw that my body was trying to do things it shouldn't be doing. I needed a weaker right hand grip and to be more centered in the backswing instead of getting into my right side so much. So, I found a coach on Skillest who was heavily influenced by them and would help me match up my swing to my body. We had one lesson where he analyzed my swing, and them we did a Zoom call where I asked him a bunch of questions and we looked at my progression. 

I have shot 71 and 73 my last two rounds this past week with one penalty stroke on 18 yesterday where I overdrew one into the water while trying to kill a drive on 18. I never feared the big miss left (60-70 yard left pull draw/hook). Literally, 35 holes without a penalty stroke or a ball so far out of play left that there was no way to make par. My last rounds before that (and I should be scratch to maybe a 3 or 4 if playing bad): 82, 85, 93!, 82, 83, 78, 74, 80, 83, 77, 80, 86, 78. Turns out that my grip was the leading flaw. It caused my other issues that other pros asked me to fix. No one had noticed me trying to hold everything off and not release the club through impact.

My right hand grip was too strong, so I rolled the face open in the backswing (pro #2 tried to fix), I had a bowed left side impact position and wasn't posted up enough (probably trying to hold the face open) that both pros #1 and #2 tried to fix. I then hung back some (head well behind ball at impact) which gave me low point issues and made the pull draw/hook issue worse if I didn't hold off my release. I also got too much into the right side on the backswing and may have even been a bit on the outside of my right foot just before recentering, which pro #2 tried to fix.

So, what I have worked on with the new pro online is #1: a weaker right hand grip that helped with not rolling the face open and not just holding off the release all the time. My wrist now hinges properly in the backswing and I don't have to hold my release off. #2: posting up on the left leg more by using a force pedal under my left foot and #3 a more centered pivot also using force pedals on both feet.

If I had never done the test that Mike and Terry showed, I would have never known my right hand grip was too strong. None of the pros I worked with had caught it because it "looked fine," but it wasn't "fine" for me.

All of that to say, here were my lessons learned:

1. I like in person instruction, but it has to be with the right person.

2. You have to "click" with them and clearly understand what they are teaching you and why they are asking you to do something. It is ok to talk about several flaws to fix in a lesson, but not ok to try to get you to fix all of them at once. They need to be able to give you a progression/plan of attack.

3. Online lessons can be good or better if #2 is satisfied. 

4. Stay away from teachers who teach with a "one size fits all" approach, as sometimes, there are physical limitations that prevent certain things from happening in their "system."

5. Like I told a guy I played with yesterday, if you aren't willing to put work in to fix your issues, then don't take a lesson. Save your time and money, as well as the instructor's time.

Hope it works out for you. Both can work for sure and I agree with Monte's assessment that a quality instructor remotely is way better than an ok or poor instructor in person.

Edited by Jtgavigan
Grammar issues
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

My progression from late October until last week...

I have listened and put in a ton of work. The zoom call helped me understand what to look for as I was making changes.

More centered in the backswing and not shifted as far left and more posted up now at impact. 

Good luck!!!

Screenshot_20231223_152608.jpg

Screenshot_20231223_152438.jpg

Screenshot_20231223_152526.jpg

• Thanks 1

Anyone know anything about the following top golf teachers in Georgia off the top  of their head? (These are the instructors closest to me.)

1. SCOTT HAMILTON (19)
Scott Hamilton G. Academy at Cartersville C.C.

6. JON TATTERSALL
Tattersall G., Atlanta

7. SHAWN KOCH
Atlanta Athletic C.

9. TED FORT
Marietta G. Center

10. BILL HASSELL
Marietta C.C.

11. CHARLIE KING
Georgia G. Center, Roswell

12. DANNY ELKINS

14. CHAD PHILLIPS
Pine Tree C.C., Kennesaw

15. CODY CARTER
Druid Hills G.C., Atlanta

16. DAVID POTTS
C.C. of the South, Johns Creek

18. MIKE PERPICH
RiverPines Learning Center, Johns Creek

22 minutes ago, Duffer Mark said:

Anyone know anything about the following top golf teachers in Georgia off the top  of their head? (These are the instructors closest to me.)

1. SCOTT HAMILTON (19)
Scott Hamilton G. Academy at Cartersville C.C.

6. JON TATTERSALL
Tattersall G., Atlanta

7. SHAWN KOCH
Atlanta Athletic C.

9. TED FORT
Marietta G. Center

10. BILL HASSELL
Marietta C.C.

11. CHARLIE KING

12. DANNY ELKINS

14. CHAD PHILLIPS
Pine Tree C.C., Kennesaw

15. CODY CARTER
Druid Hills G.C., Atlanta

16. DAVID POTTS
C.C. of the South, Johns Creek

18. MIKE PERPICH
RiverPines Learning Center, Johns Creek

Scott Hamilton is widely known. I would take a lesson with him anytime. He might be pretty expensive though or booked up. In that case you could ask him for a recommendation on who to take a lesson from. 

• Thanks 1

I much prefer in person. I feel like I have made progress with the instructors I have got lessons from online. They have all been great, really happy with the quality but for me its a slow process doing it online and at the end of the day you’re all alone trying to figure it out on the range without someone there to guide you. I guess the next logical step would be a live online lesson but I'm not sure about it. 

Edited by polski

9 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

I don't think you can get into Scott Hamilton, but Bill Hassell is great. Also, AMG is in Georgia.

AMG is in Orlando, FL.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

Scott Hamilton is in Cartersville, GA where AMG used to be until their recent move. AMG is $175-$200/hr for Nick and $500/hr for Shaun or Mike. Elkins is $80/.5 hr. or $160/hr. I've heard a little of Ted Fort who charges $100/45 min or a 5 lessons series for $425. Fort is a Golf Machine guy and I've noticed a few others are as well. I don't know enough about TGM. 

I found another local place with teachers not on the list who have Swing Catalyst and RoboGolfPro. Not sure of the cost. The RoboGolf is offered as "A lesson package of six (6) sessions over eight (8) weeks is guaranteed to improve your golf swing and handicap or you get your money back!"

(Individual Instruction at the Cupp Golf Academy - Golf Club of Georgia)

The price also has to make sense. 🙂

49 minutes ago, Duffer Mark said:

Scott Hamilton is in Cartersville, GA where AMG used to be until their recent move. AMG is $175-$200/hr for Nick and $500/hr for Shaun or Mike. Elkins is $80/.5 hr. or $160/hr. I've heard a little of Ted Fort who charges $100/45 min or a 5 lessons series for $425. Fort is a Golf Machine guy and I've noticed a few others are as well. I don't know enough about TGM. 

I found another local place with teachers not on the list who have Swing Catalyst and RoboGolfPro. Not sure of the cost. The RoboGolf is offered as "A lesson package of six (6) sessions over eight (8) weeks is guaranteed to improve your golf swing and handicap or you get your money back!"

(Individual Instruction at the Cupp Golf Academy - Golf Club of Georgia)

The price also has to make sense. 🙂

lesson rates have gone up a bunch since the pandemic it seems., both online and in person. 

I took a series of lessons from an instructor in Chicago at $150 before the pandemic, that had been his rate for years. He is now $300 an hour. I’ve seen this sort of thing across the board. 

• Like 2

I've used both and had good results with both. One bonus of online is after your lesson sometimes a person forgets what you learned etc. so with an app like Skillest it's nice to go back and review what your coach wants you to do and you can review the feedback they gave you on your swing. That is a real bonus for swing changes. as they take a long  time to get comfortable with. It was also Winter when I took these lessons so I had no choice.

I did have an in person lesson in September and he tweaked a few things but mostly worked on a better tempo for lack of a better term. I would swing super hard from the top and everything was off so he had me make full swings at 20% not caring where the ball went and then we went up to 40,60 and finally full speed at 80%. Was nice to talk with the pro in real time vs online zoom calls.

Lots of bonuses to both but this was my experience.

• Like 1