2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2024

On 6/4/2024 at 10:52 AM, jda said:

It was actually really nice and responsive once you learned the shots needed, but I fear that I will never use these shots again.

There is so much nuance to bounce and wedges that I don't know it is possible to get good at ALL of it without extreme practice.

You'll use them again. Sand is not consistent in Colorado and they're out there. You definitely need the digger and the bouncy shots to be good in bunkers here.

On 6/4/2024 at 12:22 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

I believe Tiger once said the key to his dominance was lag putting, which is such an awesome Tiger thing to say because no one ever talks about that.

What this really means is more straightforward and I literally can't stress this enough. In putting, speed is king of all. Even a small to moderate breaking putt has shockingly different lines for firm pace vs. die pace. This means that a "correct read" for any putt is actually a range of lines.

Therefore, that needs to be of the utmost priority. The hard part is practicing and training speed because greens are different every day. If we break it down further to see what we can train for speed control I get tempo control and quality of strike. The second part is straightforward to train so I'll dive further into the first, tempo control.

How many of you have actually drilled tempo control? What worked really well for me was downloading a metronome app and quite literally spending time finding out what my "natural tempo" is. It was  amazing for me because changing the metronome and trying to putt on the clicks, then changing it and trying again almost "brought it from subconscious to conscious" if that makes sense to anyone. To grind it in from there I would use said tempo and hit a ton of putts while looking at the hole, concentrating on said tempo. Both steps IMO are important because the first is teaching yourself how to "swing your swing" and the second is training your visual judgement to match your natural pace.

On 6/3/2024 at 12:24 PM, TheKrushh said:

Been struggling with my golf game and made some set up changes to where I'm further away  allowing my body and arms to work through the ball properly.  Played a lot of golf in my life but I don't think I ever have had as pure of ball striking day as Friday afternoon. Hit some balls Sunday and it was still there. 

Absolutely a fantastic feeling. 

The best ever. I'd be bored if golf was easy, but I could dig that feeling more often! All I can say is congrats, that's the most pure form of love for the game right there.

On 6/4/2024 at 4:12 PM, ASak10 said:

So I teed it up thinking I was hitting two.  When I read the rule a few more times I realized teeing area really meant the box you can tee off from...so from the markers back two clubs.  The stupidest part is that I had played my original ball and smacked a 3w about to where I would have driven it anyway, only about 20 yards short of my drive off the tee. But thinking I had read the rule right I picked up the original ball.  Either way I made a mess around the green and ended up with an 8 with the penalty stroke I took.  Things went downhill form there. 

Dude, that's crazy! If you address the ball and make a stroke it's a stroke regardless if you hit it or not.

I'm confused, did you grab the ball, tee it up, then realize it and replace the ball and hit 3w? Did you play two balls after hitting the teed up one? There's a big difference in consequences rules-wise. I'm guessing since you only took 1 shot it happened like my first question.

Either way, I feel for ya. Mental mistakes like that are the hardest ones to get through.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Joelness said:

In putting, speed is king of all.

I wanted to expand on this further in a more practical manner.

This rule also means that if you only have 10 minutes to putt, speed is all you should be working on. To be honest, I do this way more often than I would like to admit. Don't work on anything else before a round unless you have more than 10-15 minutes.

My tournament pre-game is 2-3 drills depending on how much time I have. If I have 20-30 minute I'll start with straight 3 footers moving to 6 where I vary my entry speed between last roll pace, ideal pace, and firm pace. This starts me with making sure my starting line is solid and also training my speed control in a finer way ("aim small, miss small.") For speed control I'm very feel oriented so I usually drop a line of 3-4 balls from 15-50 feet at slightly different angles and test that natural "see the hole hit it there" feel that I've trained in the previous post. To do that I take no practice swings, I just stand over it, look, and go. The third one I add if I have more than 30 minutes is spiraling around a cup hitting putts from 5-15 feet (the good birdie looks.) If you do this, find a new cup after each time around.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, CDM said:

MGI Zips are great.  The new model is really nice. Two friends have them and love them. 

I looked at them too, but already owning a Clicgear 3.5+  I just added the Alphard V2 to the Clicgear.  I bought the front wheel option also so it has wider base (stable) and the wheels swivel so move so much easier.   

Once you get used to it on th course you will ask yourself why you did not get one prior...! 

I just got an Alphard too. Getting the package with the Omni cart wasn’t much more than getting the adaptor for my ClicGear4 so I went that way. The cart isn’t quite as good as the ClicGear, I’m going to have do some customization with it (I had the seat on the CG, missed it a bunch yesterday). But I figure that way I still have the CG if it’s ever needed. 

Just amazing the difference it makes over straight pushing. 

I thought about getting the Alphard as well since I have a Clicgear, but I felt like I would get annoyed having to assemble it every time. I also like the gyroscope feature of the MGI to keep it on track and help prevent tip overs. I think I would have been super happy either way though. I'm supposed to get it next Wednesday, which of course, I'm out of town for work, but I'll have to be proactive to book tee times for Friday and Saturday.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

5 hours ago, Joelness said:

Dude, that's crazy! If you address the ball and make a stroke it's a stroke regardless if you hit it or not.

I'm confused, did you grab the ball, tee it up, then realize it and replace the ball and hit 3w? Did you play two balls after hitting the teed up one? There's a big difference in consequences rules-wise. I'm guessing since you only took 1 shot it happened like my first question.

Either way, I feel for ya. Mental mistakes like that are the hardest ones to get through.

Correct, the stroke was a stroke, the question was whether I could re-tee without penalty or whether that would be hitting 3. I did play two balls initially - I hit the original off the ground with my 3w, then teed up a second one to play as a provisional until I could figure out the rule. Which I then got wrong. Lesson learned for sure, don’t get flustered and make rash decisions! Rules wise I think it played out fine…I’m allowed to tee it up again and play it as my 3rd shot, which is what I ended up doing and taking that score. It was a maxed out score either way (max net double for these events) since I made a mess around the green anyway. 

Here’s the rule for anyone interested. I hope no one ever, and I mean ever, has to use it! 

https://golf.com/instruction/rules/teeing-ball-consecutive-shots-rule-legal/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaar said:

I thought about getting the Alphard as well since I have a Clicgear, but I felt like I would get annoyed having to assemble it every time. I also like the gyroscope feature of the MGI to keep it on track and help prevent tip overs. I think I would have been super happy either way though. I'm supposed to get it next Wednesday, which of course, I'm out of town for work, but I'll have to be proactive to book tee times for Friday and Saturday.

Our pro has the MGI and that’s what he recommended. But since I had just enough pro shop credit to cover the Alphard that’s the way I went. Plus several of the guys in our group have them and if i have any trouble (which I inevitably will) I have resources to ask for help! 

it actually takes me probably 2 minutes to assemble at the course. It’s pretty simple. 

I tested a whole pile of remote robot carts a while back.  It was during the supply shortage post COVID and ended up with a MotoCaddy mostly because it was available, but any cart with a lithium battery that comes out to charge (leave the cart in your trunk) is likely going to be OK for anybody.  They are all pretty nice and I am sure that I could have been happy with any number of them.

i did not like the one that followed me around.  Some people love them.  I like my cart out in front.

13 hours ago, Joelness said:

You'll use them again. Sand is not consistent in Colorado and they're out there. You definitely need the digger and the bouncy shots to be good in bunkers here.

I had never played a shot where the sole was like a guide rail to slide under the ball and you did not want it to bounce at all.  I used the 56/12 shot in a muddy bunker at Ute and it was OK.  It did not work on Riverdale or Saddleback and I had to use "normal" bounce shots or my "Rory wide open and swing hard" shot.  I need to count, but this might be 7 or 8 bunker shots.  Fried egg, upslope/face, bounce blast, bounce dig, front foot wide open blast, Pebble White normal, Pebble White whisp, fairway bunker shot... I am probably forgetting a few.  Mad respect to those who can master all of the shots necessary at any time - guess this is why pros spend so much time in the bunkers during their warmups.

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

I LOVE my alphard V2. That thing is awesome. The only downside is I keep killing a battery every year and I don't get how.

I'm on my 2nd battery. What I've learned about how to keep the battery running longer:

1. Don't leave it out in the garage or outside when it's freezing. I usually bring it inside every night or if it's gonna be below 50° to be safe.

2. Don't leave it on the charger forever. I usually only let it charge overnight if I'm playing in the morning.

3. In the offseason charge it for a couple hours once a month.

15 hours ago, Joelness said:

I LOVE my alphard V2. That thing is awesome. The only downside is I keep killing a battery every year and I don't get how.

13 hours ago, j4663535 said:

I'm on my 2nd battery. What I've learned about how to keep the battery running longer:

1. Don't leave it out in the garage or outside when it's freezing. I usually bring it inside every night or if it's gonna be below 50° to be safe.

2. Don't leave it on the charger forever. I usually only let it charge overnight if I'm playing in the morning.

3. In the offseason charge it for a couple hours once a month.

Love mine also.   I did have an issue with the charging cable which I thought was the battery but borrowed a friends cable to test and turned out it was the cable, not the battery.  Bought a new one and all good for now.

@j4663535   I do what you note.  The key I find besides not letting it sit outside in the winter is keeping it charged monthly.  Lithium batteries if you let them die out (below 10% or complete discharge) kills them rapidly.   I charge mine every month if used or not as you note and so for so good.

Though I pretty sure I am coming due for a new battery the way it is acting this last weekend.

Hope everyone got out and played this weekend, weater was hit or miss with the rain. 

Went to the range yesterday as been to busy lately.  Try at least once or twice a week to hit the range.  The rain came in but could tell it would pass fairly quick but opened up some tee times in the afternoon. Was able to slip in a late for 9 at MC....still not great shape but coming around a bit. 

Leaving for family trip and will not be able to touch the clubs for a month.  100% will blame the wife for poor play for the first few weeks.....   🤣

• Like 3

Played Friday at CG....still not great but slightly better with some signs of hope.  Maybe the new grips did the trick.  Eagle on 11 which is always fun...driver, 6i to 8 feet, drain putt.  Was supposed to play the back 9 there Sunday morning.  Got up, was getting ready, and buddy lets me know that he had just gotten a call at 5:50 am (we were set for 6:40) that they accidentally let the times be made and that our time was being cancelled.  Let me tell you how happy I was that I had gotten up super early, was pretty much ready to walk out the door, and then got that news.  Ridiculous.  

• Like 1

Played Raindance for the 1st time yesterday. Played from the 7759y purple tees like an idiot, but I wanted to see it from back there. I liked the layout and the way the course was routed through the terrain. Other than the way the 9th green is attached to the practice green, that was a little weird. Feels like it would be much better the 2nd time you play it, knowing what lines to take and where to miss.

The massive practice green is fun but driving through half of the back 9 to get to the driving range was not. The range running along side 2 of the holes is a bad design. One of the tee boxes had range balls on it and it felt like we were in danger of getting hit.

$170 is a little steep for the condition it was in, some of the greens needed some work. I'd still put it above some other courses like Fossil Trace and Arrowhead that are in the same price range though. It kinda felt out of place looking out over basically nothing views. It was overcast and foggy so couldn't tell if it has views of the mountains. All you could see is farmland, houses, construction equipment (not the old stuff on the course), and that ski run next to the course. 

It's still a place I'd want to play once every couple of years like Bear Dance, TPC, or The Ridge. Definitely from the appropriate tees next time.

Edited by j4663535
  • Like 3

The placement of the driving range is wild. It was going to be a cart ball course from the start, so I guess they figured so what if it is a long cart ride to the range. Tee sheets are still wide open most days even on weekends. They must still be struggling to convince people to buy memberships.

I liked the course but that was at the member guest rate of half off retail. They need to drop the rates more. At least they came down from the $200+ they were thinking they would get when it first opened.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dancin said:

The placement of the driving range is wild. It was going to be a cart ball course from the start, so I guess they figured so what if it is a long cart ride to the range. Tee sheets are still wide open most days even on weekends. They must still be struggling to convince people to buy memberships.

I liked the course but that was at the member guest rate of half off retail. They need to drop the rates more. At least they came down from the $200+ they were thinking they would get when it first opened.

I agree. Paid $75 earlier in the year, and although the greens were still heavily sanded, I really liked the course. Also agree on the "once a year" or so mission to get up there.

• Like 1

You can see both Pelican Lakes and Highland Meadows from this course and they are at least half the price for pretty good golf (MH > Pelican).  Is Windsor a destination for people outside the area?  Harmony and Ptarmigan also with established memberships nearby too.

Got invited to their welcome event (work with the Raindance development) and played 12-13 holes and it was fine and all, but is it really much better than Highland Meadows which is around $50 to walk?

Pelican has a lot of members, but they are mostly the folks who live right there and want to drive their own carts to play and socialize and stuff.  Pelican is also great with kids and teenagers.

I was by RD on a Friday a few weeks ago at about 1:00 and there were 8 cars in the parking lot where the employees don't park.

I would pay $75 to play there... but they wanted something like $180 the last that I checked.

I know that I am stupid, but I don't get this one.  Did they aim too high and miss so far?

• Like 3

It just feels out of place. You put that course in the foothills/mountains or western slope and it's completely worth the price. I think no more than $100 would be fine for it as is. I get what they were trying to do with Pelican Lakes and Raindance, like @jda said, Windsor is just a weird place to do it.

I would expect Rodeo Dunes is going to take a lot of members away from Raindance when it opens up. Maybe that will bring them down to earth a little bit.

I like Highland Meadows too and would rather play there more often for the cost and the time it takes to drive up there.

Edited by j4663535
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, jda said:

Did they aim too high and miss so far?

That's basically it. They figured Pelican Lakes members would jump at the chance to pay a little more and have another course and that other locals would join from Windsor and very little of that materialized. Anyone with money up there already joined TPC, Harmony or Ptarmigan. Pelican Lakes members don't want to pay thousands more for a second course. Very few from Denver want to drive an hour north and pay $170 for that when they can pay a little more for the much better TPC course if they are driving that far or a lot less for Highland Meadows. By year two a member told me they had only sold something like 40 memberships.

Water Valley built it to sell the houses they are building all around there, so it will be fine until that is all built out, but if they can't convince a lot more of the buyers of those houses to join, something is going to have to change. Originally they had plans of possibly making it into a golf hotel type resort, but I don't see that ever coming to fruition or failing miserably if they did it. All these new keiser and cabot properties are going to really hurt mid tier golf resort places.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

What is their unaccompanied rack rate now. My buddy always mentions it when he comes over from Nebraska, but i keep telling him I’m not paying $200. And it’s too bad because I think it’s probably not more than 10 minutes from the house. 

$170 is their peak rate on weekends and it is not worth that; although, as a Windsor resident you get a whole 10% off! https://raindancenational.com/green-fees/

The other thing that hurts them is trying to sign up to book online tee times makes it seem like you are joining pelican lakes as a member and then you have to know to switch to the raindance tee time link on the left as it defaults to pelican lakes for tee times.

• Like 3

I guess that you cannot just add National to your name and make it work?

Pelican Lakes is as close to a cult that you will see, in a good way.  Imagine all of the folks who live around Fox Hill, but 5-10x more of them and on steroids with young families.  RD cannot offer what they do with the pool, the kids being able to drive the carts to the clubhouse/pool and all of the social stuff for the young families including golf programs.  It is amazing to see that place in the afternoon on a Summer day, or during a HS golf match - kids everywhere, personal golf carts lined up and parents having all kinds of fun.

I have appraised probably a hundred homes at Raindance (on top of the hill) and I would be shocked if many of them could afford a course like this.  The higher money and property values are in Highland Meadows... and they have a whole bunch of residents who like to cart over there and hang and eat/drink at their mini restaurant with the nice outdoor area too.  It is like Pelican-lite for families without young kids anymore.

If this is what they were going after, this was a miss from conception, IMO.  Perplexing.  Seems like this one will be sold a few times and end up a $75-90 course like Pelican or HM as soon as the market turns down.

Maybe they are in the Green saver for BOGO, but I doubt it.  I would go on a BOGO.

• Like 2